• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Atlus U.S.A.: Catherine Game Sells 200,000 in 1st Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations. I wish my copy would come in quicker. Damn Otakon getting in the way of my spending.

Outside.

The convention.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had time to play Catherine since I came back from Otakon, but this news is really welcome for Atlus, since they haven't really had a smash hit before, and this is shaping up to be a good release for them.

Now, if they would only release Super Robot Wars: Original Generations.....maybe they can move some more units besides Persona and SMT.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Is there a super hot girl in SRW:OG? Because if they can put her on the cover in scantily-clad clothing in a suggestive pose, it could probably sell.
Jimbobaka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
midnighteve wrote:
I've been enjoying my play through so far of Catherine, but at no point did those puzzles grow on me. My husband and I got the hang of them, but it felt like they were punishing us for wanting to see the next cut scene. I agree with a previous post; I wish there was a way to skip over the puzzles. The story has a been a lot of fun and I really do want to get at least two of the endings, but i don't think I can handle the tedium of multiple puzzle play-throughs. Although I did hear some buzz over at Gamefaqs that you could skip puzzles the second time through...can anyone confirm this?

Working on finishing my 2nd playthrough on "Easy" using Freedom choices and then hopefully starting my "Normal" Order route game tonight.

You can skip puzzle sequences if you've acquired Gold Trophies on the previous puzzles in that floor. What you can do is just YouTube the solutions for 1-2 floors and skip the rest. Make sure to watch videos of "Gold Trophy" runs because you do have to make some specific movements to plow through the puzzle in the quickest time possible.

I have not skipped any of the puzzles, even on my 2nd playthrough so I cannot officially confirm this but I do remember scoring gold trophies on some stages and inbetween pauses the "Skip" option was available. When I did not gain any gold trophies in a floor, the "Skip" option stated "Requires a gold trophy" so there is my train of logic for you.

I bought the Special "Love is Over" edition and after playing the game it feels like I spent $80 on a 20 hour OVA. I enjoyed the story and the characters, the puzzles were strangely addicting at one point and ridiculously frustrating at others, and multiple endings are a wonderful incentive for me to pick up a game since I love replay value.

If there was an anime of "Catherine" instead of a game, I'd much rather enjoy this product since like others in this thread I basically wanted to speed through the block sequences (which encompass 80% of the game) just to see the next piece of story.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Jimbobaka wrote:
midnighteve wrote:
I've been enjoying my play through so far of Catherine, but at no point did those puzzles grow on me. My husband and I got the hang of them, but it felt like they were punishing us for wanting to see the next cut scene. I agree with a previous post; I wish there was a way to skip over the puzzles. The story has a been a lot of fun and I really do want to get at least two of the endings, but i don't think I can handle the tedium of multiple puzzle play-throughs. Although I did hear some buzz over at Gamefaqs that you could skip puzzles the second time through...can anyone confirm this?

You can skip puzzle sequences if you've acquired Gold Trophies on the previous puzzles in that floor. What you can do is just YouTube the solutions for 1-2 floors and skip the rest. Make sure to watch videos of "Gold Trophy" runs because you do have to make some specific movements to plow through the puzzle in the quickest time possible.

Argh, gold huh? Sad Those were pretty easy to come by earlier in the game, but the later half we settled for whatever we got. Oh well, even a little faster is better! That way the second time won't be as bad.

An anime of Catherine would've been awesome though. But kudos does go to Atlus for making such a good story that I'm willing to plop down $60 and slog through their ridiculous block puzzles.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
If you finish the game first on hard mode, you might as well be able to skip the puzzle sections given how easy the game is on normal (like... I can get gold medals for free even without using the undo function at this point).

I think the last time I was this satisfied with a difficult game was F-Zero GX on the game cube.

That said, there actually is a VERY EASY mode (that was discussed in the manual); I think you hold select at the new game screen or something and then pick easy when you hear a chime.

It might as well allow you to skip the cutscenes given that they spoonfeed you those energy drinks that allow you to jump 2 or 3 blocks at a time.

Last edited by DKL on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
I'm a little curious, is selling 200,000 copies in one week very good? I mean I am sure it is otherwise they wouldn't post an article about it but how good is this?

Atlus USA have had games that have struggled to see a 10,000 units many times, so yes this is good.
midnighteve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
That said, there actually is a VERY EASY mode (that was discussed in the manual); I think you hold select at the new game screen or something and then pick easy when you hear a chime.

It might as well allow you to skip the cutscenes given that they spoonfeed you those energy drinks that allow you to jump 2 or 3 blocks at a time.

You're right about very easy, though I think it's holding down select at the mode select screen. I believe that's what I remember doing anyway Wink

As for the energy drinks, I would've much preferred a skip feature (maybe like how LA Noire's is) to the item. But that's just because I hated having to use them. I would've liked trying to figure out the puzzles myself, but the boss fights had me dying in stupid ways, so I would just "give up" and move on. I don't think the concept of the block puzzle was really bad, I just liked the way they handled it better with "Rapunzel".
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Is there a super hot girl in SRW:OG? Because if they can put her on the cover in scantily-clad clothing in a suggestive pose, it could probably sell.

Several, Seolla is probably the one that get's the most attention due to her large breasts.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, is 4°C epic win in America late this summer or what? Last week, ThunderCats (2011 Remake) on Cartoon Network, which they provided the anime production for, premiered with almost 2.5 million watching. The very next week, Catherine sells 200k.

Both projects are certainly kicking Bleach's ass in their respective fields, as on average Bleach gets about half of that watching, and Soul Resurreccion is SURE to not sell 100k...
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
So good to see that my personal Game of the Year is doing so well! It's pretty rare for a game to deal with complex themes in a mature fashion, and even rarer for one of those games to sell, so I'm super-happy! ^^ Atlus' promotion of the title certainly paid off!
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to decide if I should get Catherine. I played the demo and thought it was cool, but it was also quite a pain, even on easy. I just don't know if the price is worth the frustration I'll get from playing it.
Jimbobaka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
midnighteve wrote:
Jimbobaka wrote:
midnighteve wrote:

Argh, gold huh? Sad Those were pretty easy to come by earlier in the game, but the later half we settled for whatever we got. Oh well, even a little faster is better! That way the second time won't be as bad.

An anime of Catherine would've been awesome though. But kudos does go to Atlus for making such a good story that I'm willing to plop down $60 and slog through their ridiculous block puzzles.

Yeah, the extras for the "Love is Over" edition were items that I wanted and don't mind paying the extra $20 for. I'm not going to wear the boxers, but the pillow case and shirt will see some use in the future.

Has anyone completed the Rapunzel game? Is there a special cut scene you get for doing so? I'm assuming just an achievement/trophy gets unlocked.

Also, did anyone pay attention to each Landing Zone area and talk to all the sheep?

I'm not certain if the story changes with the difficulty but after trying to piece together the story of two of the sheep, there might be a small bit of revelation that's revealed in the background. In particular (beware, I will be discussing personal theories on plot points that could be considered spoilers):

spoiler[The sheep that looks like Orlando and Jonny. It's known to the player that Orlando was married but got a divorce because she was cheating on him. Jonny's sheep states that he "cheated with a woman, who was currently in a relationship with his best friend." At first I thought that Jonny may be seeing Katherine behind Vincent's back, therefore justifying the speculation of Katherine being unfaithful as well. Then I thought it is also possible that Jonny could be the man that Orlando's wife was cheating with, which would explain why he was having the dreams. I assume that Orlando was having the dreams because he still can't forgive his wife, yet still harbors feelings for her therefore putting him in a standstill in life and putting him in the same boat as Vincent. While the twist in the story about the truth of Catherine and the mastermind of the nightmares was kind of obvious to me, I thought it would have been interesting if Katherine was cheating on Vincent with Jonny and she's actually pregnant with Jonny's child, hence the sudden breakup on Day 8. I'm also curious as to whether or not you get to face Astoroth/Mysterious Voice in Hard Mode or a future sequel to the game. Atlus could maybe release his floor as a DLC but I'm not sure why Vincent would put up with more puzzle solving after all he's been through haha. ]

I have about 40-50 more hours to milk off this game in order to see all the endings, I hope that they're worth it because the Easy Order ending isn't so bad, but I'm curious to see if Hard Order's ending is more satisfactory.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Wow, is 4°C epic win in America late this summer or what? Last week, ThunderCats (2011 Remake) on Cartoon Network, which they provided the anime production for, premiered with almost 2.5 million watching. The very next week, Catherine sells 200k.

Both projects are certainly kicking Bleach's ass in their respective fields, as on average Bleach gets about half of that watching, and Soul Resurreccion is SURE to not sell 100k...

I think that says more about the state of Anime in America than anything else. Anime outside of a few series simply isn't considered cool anymore.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll just chime in here to say I really, really enjoy the block puzzles - on Normal, I find it to be a satisfying challenge. I'm curious to see what Hard is like now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4