• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood+ (TV) (Dub, adult swim).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abominaSion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
jigoku_hime wrote:
I think we're talking about the same show. Too much action is just my opinion though. I probably said it because I tried to look at the latter part of the series and as far as I can see there are too much action. Well, I really hope it gets better because I'm going to stick with it to see if it gets interesting.

If too much action bores you, I'm surprised your an anime fan Wink .
I'm actually not a big fan of action. the biggest highlights of anime moments don't have action in them and the top anime(s) that I'm currently waching have little to no action at all.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote
Is that a confirmed fact, or just your strong opinion? I've heard unconfirmed information that there may be a Spring 2008 release.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Is that a confirmed fact, or just your strong opinion? I've heard unconfirmed information that there may be a Spring 2008 release.

If Adult Swim doesn't take a break from showing it they'll be finished with the series by March 2008. Which is about the same time the first DVD is scheduled to be released, March 19 2008 according to the Encyclopedia. So recording it off of [AS] is probably your best chance to see it.
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Or you can try to get Animax Latin America and watch it dubbed to spanish (very good dub BTW). We already saw the show 3 times.

The episodes around the latter middle have an animation quality drop (but since there is so little action, you could skip some of these episodes and be pretty fine), but the quality during the full series even puts a lot of 26 episode series to shame.

My favorite character is Haji. We all know I love my angsty bishies. And yes, Haji DOES have a personality; he acts the way he does because he's emotionally traumatized.

The ending is great and it's quite conclusive in a way.

There are some things that irk me though:

spoiler[Kai is an idiot, he should of drunk Diva's blood and become an immortal chevelier. When Saya wakes up, he'll be in his 50's unless he decides to drink the blood of one of Diva's daughters.

Has anyone noticed Amshel must of drunk Diva's blood BEFORE Saya let her escape the tower? The man must of been in his early 40's and drank Diva's blood around the time she turned 20 and stopped aging.

I have a hard time believing Nathan is an American. It's possible he could be over 500 years old (the series never states how old he really is, just that he was probably the chevelier of Saya's mother and thus her uncle). Saya was born in the early 1800's, the USA must of existed for less than half a century, not enough time for Nathan to be born, grow up to be in his 20's, meet Saya Senior and become her chevelier, she Saya get pregnant by a chevelier of her sister, die and become a mummy, the body to dissapear and end up as the property of two wealthy french men in only 40 years tops.
Heck, it's possible that his Queen dissapeared or something, got raped and he has been looking for more for over 200 years, just to end up meeting Diva around 1970 during her last active season before episode 1 took place.
Nathan even mentions he never met Saya and her chevelier before when he finally meets themhalfway round the series. It could be suggested from this that the guy has been an immortal for so long that he has lost interest in rushing things now that his Queen is dead.

This leaves a third question in the series that was never answered: Can Saya and Diva transform into a chiroptera form? Their mother as a mummy definitely didn't look human. However, Diva beat the living crap out of Solomon who is a powerful Chevelier without a sword, leaving him half dead with almost no blood. Nathan obviously didn't intervene (he'd never hurt a bishie), so it's possible that Diva earned how to transform into a chiroptera, perhaps because she became pregnant.

It would be interesting if some of these questions could become answered in an OVA or something.

Oh, the only thing I didn't like about the ending was that we ddn't see the faces of Diva's daughters when they became small children. Arggghhh.

I personally believe Haji's left arm grew back after to was blown to pieces by Amshel's energy beam. He wouldn't of been able to make a bow with his ribbon with just 1 arm.

Blood+ Is probably one of the best series of this last decade. If someone is tagging it as just "decent" either they are just Hellsingophiles, Narutophilles or have really, really high anime standards. Remember, for each Blood+ we have 20 Ghost Schools.]
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If someone is tagging it as just "decent" either they are just Hellsingophiles, Narutophilles or have really, really high anime standards. Remember, for each Blood+ we have 20 Ghost Schools.

Sorry, but hardly. It's obviously one of your favorites, fine, but we're saying one of the best since 2000ish? You hardly need to be into one of those anime you named to disagree with that point.
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Quote:
If someone is tagging it as just "decent" either they are just Hellsingophiles, Narutophilles or have really, really high anime standards. Remember, for each Blood+ we have 20 Ghost Schools.

Sorry, but hardly. It's obviously one of your favorites, fine, but we're saying one of the best since 2000ish? You hardly need to be into one of those anime you named to disagree with that point.

I think after watching the full 13 episodes of Hellsing and reading some of the manga I can make my point that the anime sucks and that Hellsing is probably one of the worst vampire anime in existence (haven't watched vampirians yet but it can't be that worse than Hellsing). Haven't watched the new OVAs and considering how slowly they are coming out... I think I'll rather read the manga when I have the time.

Saw the first 60 episodes of Naruto and while it has it's good scenes here and there, it's not deserving of the popularity that the show has. Hunter x Hunter beats Naruto out of it's sockets.

Um.. I'd say I've seen quite a few post 2000 anime. Lost the count around 100 series, most of them being the big gun titles. Currently watching Trinity Blood and Basilisk (and several others).
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
If Adult Swim doesn't take a break from showing it they'll be finished with the series by March 2008. Which is about the same time the first DVD is scheduled to be released, March 19 2008 according to the Encyclopedia. So recording it off of [AS] is probably your best chance to see it.

Yet, there's plenty of opportunity to see it -- as while they show a new eps. every Saturday, they cycle through the episodes previous shown through the weekday schedule.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote
AAA Anime anime distributors has a release date:

http://www.aaaanime.com/item/DVDs/24996.html

They also have a 6 disc $120 special edition here:

http://www.aaaanime.com/item/DVDs/22653.html
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have any details for these DVD releases of Blood+? From the sound of it, it seems like Sony is releasing singles and a box set at the same time, but that can't be right, unless there's some sort of a content difference.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The only other information I found about it was here.

It is the exact same info as Randall provided, except it does list a run time of 600 minutes.

So it looks like it will come out in two boxsets of 25 episodes, assuming they are listing the episodes as 24 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I tried looking through the thread and didn't see anyone comment on this. Sorry if it was mentioned and I missed it.

I've tried watching Blood+ from the beginning, but I have a really hard time maintaining interest. Now I only watch if it happens to be on and I was watching whatever anime came on before it. The big thing that has hurt my appreciation of this show is the fact that easily half of the characters are voiced by Crispin Freeman.

Don't get me wrong, I love Crispin Freeman's voice and I've almost always loved the characters he does (didn't like him in Eureka 7, but I just hated that show all over the place, so probably not his fault), but it gets REALLY annoying for him to be doing so many characters in the show. There have been several times where he was literally talking to himself. And his accents aren't usually the greatest (although he does a passable British accent). Crispin Freeman either does fantastic badasses (Tsume from Wolf's Rain) or great everyman kind of characters (Togusa in GITS), but he can't do a believable foreign accent to save his life.

I think Freeman should have just stuck with Haji in this series (or maybe add a couple of minor characters that were only in one or two episodes) and just be done with Blood+. Honestly, Freeman is probably one of the higher priced VAs in the business, other than Steven Blum. I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to give him so many characters to voice just on a cost basis.

Has anyone else had the same concern with this dub?
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quote
That information on the 6-disc set must be a misprint. I imagine as the release date draws nearer, more accurate information will be given.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
I tried looking through the thread and didn't see anyone comment on this. Sorry if it was mentioned and I missed it.

I've tried watching Blood+ from the beginning, but I have a really hard time maintaining interest. Now I only watch if it happens to be on and I was watching whatever anime came on before it. The big thing that has hurt my appreciation of this show is the fact that easily half of the characters are voiced by Crispin Freeman.

Don't get me wrong, I love Crispin Freeman's voice and I've almost always loved the characters he does (didn't like him in Eureka 7, but I just hated that show all over the place, so probably not his fault), but it gets REALLY annoying for him to be doing so many characters in the show. There have been several times where he was literally talking to himself. And his accents aren't usually the greatest (although he does a passable British accent). Crispin Freeman either does fantastic badasses (Tsume from Wolf's Rain) or great everyman kind of characters (Togusa in GITS), but he can't do a believable foreign accent to save his life.

I think Freeman should have just stuck with Haji in this series (or maybe add a couple of minor characters that were only in one or two episodes) and just be done with Blood+. Honestly, Freeman is probably one of the higher priced VAs in the business, other than Steven Blum. I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to give him so many characters to voice just on a cost basis.

Has anyone else had the same concern with this dub?

I'd have to semi agree with you. The actors for the main characters voice other minor characters like the Schiff and the townsfolk, so it's easy to see the cast for the anime isn't very large. On the other hand, regarding your foreign accent comments, just who would you suggest to voice that French gentleman then? I don't think his French accent was that bad.

I do enjoy the English dub a lot though, so I don't feel like I have the right to complain about who voices who.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:04 am Reply with quote
Is there a reason why it "must be a misprint?" Granted this is not normal there have been a few re-releases by Funimation recently that had the complete set (Basilisk, Burst Angel, Desert Punk, Negima, Samurai 7, Trinity Blood) released around the same time as the first volume of the Viridian collections. This is also common place in Japanese R2 releases where the complete box set(s) will be released before the individual DVDs. Also considering FUnimation's release of Aquariion, this could be a venture into releasing the first season all at once. Considering that it does have a a $120 price tag I don't think it's just a mislabeled special edition with art box. Is there any basis to why this "must" be a misprint or do you mean probably is a misprint.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:54 am Reply with quote
Wow,I'm shocked that a lot of you like the dub of Blood+.Following an anime,not for the content,but for the few voice actors that don't make ears bleed is odd to me.Blood+,in my opinion,is one of the most detestable,slow moving,actionless,horror/drama ever created,by Production I.G.,in 2005,from the stand alone OVA Blood:The Last Vampire.

Blood:The Last Vampire kicked so much *** just to turn around and make a slow moving,streched out drama?Blood+ to me,again,is like pulling teeth,and I've watched Boogie Pop Phantom from beginning to end in one sitting.

Maybe the spoiler[overused amnesia plot is what got to me.]This series could have been summed up from fifty to twenty-six episodes,easily.Example:spoiler[we didn't need the trip through Vietnam,helping a family of war victims to locate and remove landmines.]

Getting tospoiler[Diva took to damn long IMO].Make no mistake,I love just about every anime but Blood+was my dissapointment for 2005.

Another note,it seems to me that AdultSwim is slowly driving anime out of it's line up.Replacing anime with their American publication.It could be just me though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7