• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Some Geneon Licenses Have Expired

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Stop letting licenses expire, FUNimation! I was forced to buy Shana in singles because the box sets were so gruesomely expensive! And they still haven't done anything with the second season? Stop letting Shana II rot and do something with it already!

The situation with Shana and a list of other Geneon licenses/rescues is out of their hands - the ongoing Geneon Universal merger process has cause problems getting materials, and the disaster probably doesn't help much.
All these titles that they let expire were ones they distributed for Geneon USA after the collapse. There were a number of titles that FUNimation probably never would have picked up themselves so it is no surprise they haven't held onto them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Maryohki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness I already have all of Kyo Kara Maoh! that got released in English.

That's a shame about Saiunkoku, though...I was hoping to look into it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
mastertr wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
$5,000 says most of these licenses going to Aniplex USA and a few go to NIS America.

I'll take that bet. If they didn't sell well enough for Geneon or Funimation, I'm highly doubting that they sold well enough for any other R1 licensor to pick them up. Higurashi and Zero no Tsukaima MIGHT get re-licensed, but those are the only 2 I can really see standing a big chance, and even then, that's a big might, and not anywhere what I would call "most of these licenses"

The reason why I say Aniplex USA is because most of those old Geneon titles were produced by Aniplex. I'm sure even if they didn't sell well with Funimation they would still revert back to Aniplex.

Yes...to Aniplex Japan. However, based on what we've seen so far, Aniplex USA operates as a separate entity at least to some degree. That's why they announce that they've "licensed" titles before they actually distribute them. You're probably right that Aniplex's shows will revert to Aniplex (of Japan) but that doesn't mean Aniplex USA automatically gets them and it sure as heck doesn't mean that they're actually going to release any of them.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
mastertr wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
$5,000 says most of these licenses going to Aniplex USA and a few go to NIS America.

I'll take that bet. If they didn't sell well enough for Geneon or Funimation, I'm highly doubting that they sold well enough for any other R1 licensor to pick them up. Higurashi and Zero no Tsukaima MIGHT get re-licensed, but those are the only 2 I can really see standing a big chance, and even then, that's a big might, and not anywhere what I would call "most of these licenses"

Also, +1 for the guy who pointed out Oh Edo Rocket. That is immediately what I thought of when I started reading all the complaints about how long Funimation is taking on releasing more Shana.

You could be right about Shakugan no Shana, but things are taking far longer than Oh Edo Rocket. Based on OER's timeline, Funimation should already be streaming Shakugan no Shana, at least a sub-titled version. I'll be happy if it comes out, better late than never.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
You could be right about Shakugan no Shana, but things are taking far longer than Oh Edo Rocket. Based on OER's timeline, Funimation should already be streaming Shakugan no Shana, at least a sub-titled version. I'll be happy if it comes out, better late than never.

But Oh! Edo Rocket wasn't caught up in a huge company merger and HD-CAM shortage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
staab99

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame these shows are going out of print, luckily i got Paradise Kiss for about 30 bucks last year. I still love that show, I hope it gets rescued one of these days. I can see how the others didn't sell very well (along with Paradise Kiss), but hey that's the anime market for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5