• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pioneer Changes Name

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Uhg, it's like a bad joke. You know the saying, "if you have to explaine it, it's not funny", well in this case, "if you have to explaine it, it's probably a really bad choice."

Anyone know where I can get little "Pioneer" stickers that I can slap on my DVDs when they come out?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Instead of "Geneon", they should call their company what I used to call Pioneer back in the LD days: OMEGA TUNING FORK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TuxedoAsh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:44 am Reply with quote
This bodes poorly. 1) it really urks me that they will be changing thier name. I love the name Pioneer. I respect it. Also I am in the middle of collecting chobbits and halfway through the case will have a different brand name. What kind of crap is that. 2) I am a pioneer enthusiest, I tell my friends to buy pioneer electronics when they get car stereos and home media equipment
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:46 am Reply with quote
Okay, I am a bit confused on this topic. In the article it states:

Quote:
On October 1st, Pioneer LDC and Pioneer Entertainment, the Pioneer subsidiaries recently acquired from Pioneer by Dentsu, will officially change their names. October 1st is the date when all shares of the companies are officially transferred to Dentsu.

I am understanding this as meaning these subsidiaries were doing poorly and thus were bought by Dentsu. And so, these 2 subsidiaries are the only 2 changing their names to Geneon:

Quote:
Pioneer Entertainment (USA) Inc. will, will henceforth be known as Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc. , while Pioneer LDC will have its name changed to Geneon Entertainment Inc.

However, does this mean that the other Pioneer branches (as seen here):

Pioneer Animation
Pioneer Entertainment
Pioneer Entertainment (USA) L.P.
Pioneer Entertainment Inc.
Pioneer Family Entertainment
Pioneer Video Manufacturing

will retain the Pioneer names? That's what the article sounds like, however the title is a bit misleading if that's the case.

So, if from what I understand the article to say is true, the other Pioneer companies will keep their "Pioneer names" and this:

TuxedoAsh wrote:
This bodes poorly. 1) it really urks me that they will be changing thier name. I love the name Pioneer. I respect it. Also I am in the middle of collecting chobbits and halfway through the case will have a different brand name. What kind of crap is that. 2) I am a pioneer enthusiest, I tell my friends to buy pioneer electronics when they get car stereos and home media equipment

won't be an issue, seeing as Chobits is licensed by Pioneer Animation.

So, someone please clarify or correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks! Smile
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:58 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...I am re-reading the article and in the first paragraph it says:

Quote:
On October 1st...Pioneer Entertainment...

but, in the second paragraph it says:

Quote:
Pioneer Entertainment (USA) Inc. will henceforth be known as Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc.

In the Companies list on the ANN, Pioneer Entertainment and Pioneer Entertainment (USA) Inc. are listed as two separate companies. So, which one is the article referring to?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:41 am Reply with quote
It looks like you misread things liann...

reread the first line of the article and the placement of the commas and it should become a little more clear.

Quote:
On October 1st, Pioneer LDC and Pioneer Entertainment, the Pioneer subsidiaries recently acquired from Pioneer by Dentsu, will officially change their names.

this means that Pioneer LDC and Pioneer Entertainment ARE the subsidiaries acquired by Densetsu. In context of the article, Pioneer Animation and Pioneer Entertainment and the USA sister companies all fall under this.

It's still differentiated, but since the primary company falls under it, the sister company does as well. Perhaps it's easier to think of it as another division under the part of the corporation taken over by Densetsu?

In the end, since the websites that are being replaces are also named in there, (geneonanimation.com replaces pioneeranimation.com) it should be more clear that this whole company is changing the name.

For that reason, it's very possible that the name that appears on the rest of the Chobits volumes (and other coming series - won't that make the Haibane Renmei DVD cases look odd next to the first one?) will have the Geneon name on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:56 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
I am understanding this as meaning these subsidiaries were doing poorly

This may be true, but it was not stated or implied in the article. We don't know why Pioneer sold Pioneer LDC (including Rondorobe) and Pioneer Entertainment to Dentsu.

Quote:
and thus were bought by Dentsu. And so, these 2 subsidiaries are the only 2 changing their names to Geneon:

Correct.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Pioneer Entertainment (USA) Inc.

Was teh North American company's complete, full name. We generally refer to it as Pioneer Entertainment.

I've merged all the companies in the encyc, you'll only see Pioneer Entertainment now.

Shortly I will change that to Geneon ...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Geneon will be losing the considerable advantage of the Pioneer brand name, and well known logo.

If I was in charge of the new company, and if it had been my choice, I would not have changed the name. *BUT*, it may not have been Dentsu's choice, Pioneer may have stated as a part of the agreement that the new company, since it is no longer a part of Pioneer, can not be named Pioneer.

Pioneer may not want to be associated with a company that they do not control.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Smile Okay, thanks. I guess I did misread the article. Things make more sense now.
dnewhous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zac: I thought Pioneer was already run by zombies, considering how crappy their line-up is in general.

My favorite titles minus one come from Pioneer: Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi Muyo (the OAV).

The only thing they didn't pick up that I wish they would have is the RK OAV.

They are certainly the most likely to do a value added DVD. The recording quality of my Akira DVD (DD version) puts my DVD collection of the Godfather to shame.

Also, if I see an anime DVD was done by Pioneer I will listen to the dub, I won't do that with what is output from any other company (except Disney).

In particular, I think ADV Films should be ashamed of themselves for the quality of dubs they are still putting out. The dub on the RK OAV is painful. Especially Kenshin's voice.
TuxedoAsh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:30 am Reply with quote
it says the pioneer animation web site will be changed from pioneeranimation.com to geneonanimation.com and pioneermusic.com will be changed likewise. This leads me to belive that those company names will be changed
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:43 am Reply with quote
dnewhous wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Zac: I thought Pioneer was already run by zombies, considering how crappy their line-up is in general.

My favorite titles minus one come from Pioneer: Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi Muyo (the OAV).

The only thing they didn't pick up that I wish they would have is the RK OAV.

They are certainly the most likely to do a value added DVD. The recording quality of my Akira DVD (DD version) puts my DVD collection of the Godfather to shame.

Also, if I see an anime DVD was done by Pioneer I will listen to the dub, I won't do that with what is output from any other company (except Disney).

In particular, I think ADV Films should be ashamed of themselves for the quality of dubs they are still putting out. The dub on the RK OAV is painful. Especially Kenshin's voice.

The fact is, Pioneer doesn't do their dubbing in-house, so you are actually going to see a larger variance of quatlity out there.

IMO, with some of the dubs that are done in the L.A. area, it can often be hit or miss. The dubbing is handled by the studios and directors in those studios, not by Pioneer. Some dubs however I find to be lacking in quality at all, and it seems that a great deal of the stuff coming out of L.A. has gotten stale recently.

As such, Pioneer could have turned out a bad dub like Love Hina, as the studio used there was also in L.A. (I'm unsure of the name of this one, it's not one of the more commonly used ones.) However, IIRC, the studios used most often from Pioneer are Bang Zoom! Entertainment and Animaze. I've had my experience of hit or misses when it comes to dubs coming out of both.

Animaze, who did the Cowboy Bebop dub, has also done work on other Bandai works as well as Pioneer, Manga Entertainment, and Media Blasters. Knowing this, how can you judge it, just because it has Pioneer's name on the DVD?

Getting back to ADV, it felt like you were using only one dub to judge their work. My opinion, which may not mean much to you, is it has more to do with the director than it does anything else. In that respect, I've enjoyed a few more recent dubs from A.D.V. other than what Steven Foster handled.

Two recent dubs I liked from A.D.V.

Princess Nine
Full Metal Panic

If you want to see the difference between the way one director handles one over the other, check out the dub of Sorcerer Hunters. Matt Greenfield handled the first half, and the second half was handled by Steven Foster. I know of many fans who loved the first half and detested the second half of the series.

The sad part is, this is coming from a person who watches subs primarily. That usually means (in my case) it takes a really solid dub to get my attention. Although I'm not here to turn this into a sub/dub war thread, (there are others for that) I have had plenty of experience in hearing bad acting, directing, writing, etc. on both sides of the fence.

My point is that your generalization of "Pioneer's" dubs is rather misguided and needs to be relooked at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kanna no Mai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:02 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
However, IIRC, the studios used most often from Pioneer are Bang Zoom!

Don't Pioneer often use Ocean studio as well?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:29 am Reply with quote
They did back in the early to mid 90's, but not recently...

Only way to count them in the process is if you count the stuff they distributed for Viz, but even then, they weren't series Pioneer had licensed themselves.

On the other hand, a studio they've used more recently in the past few years is New Generation Pictures.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3