• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Angels, Devils, and Goddesses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Nermal wrote:
(yes, fear is the power of the dark side, I know).

Heh. Nice one! Wink

Nermal wrote:
I really enjoy Bamboo's reviews...it gets me all excited when I see something that I've bought and enjoyed in the Shelf Worthy section, and I like her witty comparisons and honest criticism, making Shelf Life my favorite column to read on ANN.

Same here. I'm always happy to find out that something I deemed shelf worthy is also shelf worthy in the eyes of Bamboo. Plus, I also use this column as a gauge to determine whether or not something I haven't seen is for me. Bamboo's comments are short and too the point, which is what I like. Much easier than reading a long review (no offense to the reviewers here on ANN, I'm just lazy is all. We all are to some degree).

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Shelf Life still needs to review Ergo Proxy.

Oh, yes! I love the series, so it's very shelf worthy for me, but I'd really like to know what Bamboo thinks of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Why don't you go rip into some of my other favorite series such as Maison Ikkoku or Kimagure Orange Road?

Way to take it personally, champ!

Quote:

Belldandy is the perfect women we all fantasize about

I dunno, I prefer women who aren't total doormats and, you know, don't live to serve me. There's very little real emotion in a relationship where one person is basically your maid. Not to mention Belldandy is basically a 1950's housewife stereotype. Did you miss the 70's?

Quote:

I do a lot of anime reviews for various sites

WOW really?!

Quote:
do your research before you jump off the deep end with a millstone around your neck.

This is code for "find out what my opinion of the series is and make sure your review conforms to it before posting or else I'll accuse you of "not doing research".
supercait86

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
...do your research...

I'm pretty sure that's what she did by watching the show. You're free to disagree, but it seems you and too many other people don't understand what a review is. And I'm glad some people (Zac) don't see that as the "perfect woman."

Personally, I agree with the other people who enjoy Bamboo's reviews. She tells me a lot about a show, and I always get some laughs out of it.

I completely understand about watching other people making out--it always makes me feel uncomfortable. There was a Rembrandt toothpaste commercial on not long ago that was just two people kissing the whole time. I did not enjoy it. It's also awful thinking about how much I've seen with my parents as well...

I am also thinking about submitting my collection in the future. Maybe after I go home and have everything I own in one place. It's really interesting to see what people collect.

Finally, I like the name Bamboo! Mine is so common. Crying or Very sad
Heretic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I get my Full Metal Panic! back from my friend I'll try to get a pic of my shelf. This is going to be tricky seeing as how I have three different shelving units and my big one has DVDs behind DVDs. I'll manage to get them all in somehow.

Anywho, I loved/hated Kiminozo. I probably consider it the best romance series I've seen, but I cannot bring myself to watch it anymore.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Trying to cram all of the [Black Cat] manga into a 24-episode series leaves it very jumbled at times, especially since it wastes so much time with filler episodes.

it's 23 eps, not 24. and the filler is there because it was originally intended for a 52 ep run (at least according to the info I found early on while the eps were still on the single digits in Japan). around ep 10 the ep count got sliced to 23 eps. I'm guessing the ratings were a bit lower than they hoped, probably because the manga finished its run about a year before the anime started. that fact, and the Eden arc at the end, were the two biggest failings in the animated adaption of Black Cat (altho the first ED was Teh Win).
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
All I can tell you is that OMG is (obviously) one of my favorite series-"pot calling the kettle black", and for what it is (or is not) worth) I do write a lot of reviews, I just don't concur with your dislike of of OMG-but-hey-it's a free country and we're all entitled to our own views. There's a lot of shows people I know like and I hate, Bell does have a subservient attitude and Keiichi could show some more intestional fortitude and Urd is a bitch and Skuld is a whinney little brat and so on, but it's still a great show. Sounds like your review is about Bewitched, Darrin, Samantha and all-there's your 60's sterotypical show for you-shades of Urusei Yatsura!!
WesW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I happen to have been having an "Everything A!MG" marathon over the past couple of weeks, and I can kind of see both sides of the love/hate attitude towards the series.
I watched the first couple of eps of season 1 two years ago, when I was just getting into anime, and found them very boring. I watched the movie last year, and found it a rather bland throwback that reminded me of old Disney movies (I thought the music was key in understanding the movie).
Well, after coming across so many AMVs featuring the franchise, I decided to give it another look, and I have fallen in love with it. The original OVA was good, but not a masterpiece, imo. What it did, though, was accurately portray what everything else was going to be like.
AMG is a guy's series, since Belldandy is there to support him as he tries to make the transition to adulthood, with no family emotional support and after getting kicked out of his club residence, thereby losing the companionship of the only people in town he knew.
AMG is a fairly low-key series, so if you're not in the mood for that, which apparently Bamboo wasn't, then it can be irritating to sit through. (Bagpipes can be grating on the ears if you are tired, too, which may be why she hated the OP. Coming home from a convention, I would bet that this was the case.) If you are in the mood for something peppy, I think you'll find that it's a great song overall. (The OST has some really great pieces, too, but the best ones are at the end of the disc, so try and listen to the latter half first when evaluating it.)
I think the key to understanding Belldandy's appeal is summed up in a scene from later on in season 2, where Bell comes upon Keiichi in a compromising position with another woman. If this was Love Hina, we all know what would happen next. Instead, Bell simply asks if anyone needs help. When the woman asks why she's not upset, Bell replies that long ago she made the decision to give Keiichi her unconditional trust and faith, with the implication that so far he hasn't let her down. Who among us doesn't yearn for a relationship like that? Of course, Keiichi promptly explains what really happened, to put her mind at ease, since the thought that it might be something untword does cross her mind. To confirm this, there is an ep or two dealing with feelings of jealousy which develop in her as she falls deeper in love with Keiichi, showing that she's not inherently perfect- she just tries as hard as she can to be the best possible person she can be, based upon what she was raised to believe.
She's not an emotional doormat; rather she's been raised to believe in people's goodness and to give them the benefit of the doubt, which is a nice contrast to the suspicion and over-reacting which typify so much of real-life romance.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Quote:
Trying to cram all of the [Black Cat] manga into a 24-episode series leaves it very jumbled at times, especially since it wastes so much time with filler episodes.

it's 23 eps, not 24. and the filler is there because it was originally intended for a 52 ep run (at least according to the info I found early on while the eps were still on the single digits in Japan). around ep 10 the ep count got sliced to 23 eps. I'm guessing the ratings were a bit lower than they hoped, probably because the manga finished its run about a year before the anime started. that fact, and the Eden arc at the end, were the two biggest failings in the animated adaption of Black Cat (altho the first ED was Teh Win).

It's 24 episodes.

The 15th episode was never aired. However, it will be included with the Funimation release.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Sounds like your review is about Bewitched, Darrin, Samantha and all-

...That's how I describe the show to people who ask.
Nermal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Bamboo's comments are short and too the point, which is what I like. Much easier than reading a long review (no offense to the reviewers here on ANN, I'm just lazy is all. We all are to some degree).

Totally. I am the queen of the lazys...in fact I'm not even going to finish thi
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote
Nermal wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Bamboo's comments are short and too the point, which is what I like. Much easier than reading a long review (no offense to the reviewers here on ANN, I'm just lazy is all. We all are to some degree).

Totally. I am the queen of the lazys...in fact I'm not even going to finish thi

Laughing That reminds me of Professor Finbarr Calamitous from the Jimmy Neutron TV show (at least before he got over not finishing his sentences anyway).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
I happen to have been having an "Everything A!MG" marathon over the past couple of weeks, and I can kind of see both sides of the love/hate attitude towards the series.
I watched the first couple of eps of season 1 two years ago, when I was just getting into anime, and found them very boring. I watched the movie last year, and found it a rather bland throwback that reminded me of old Disney movies (I thought the music was key in understanding the movie).
Well, after coming across so many AMVs featuring the franchise, I decided to give it another look, and I have fallen in love with it. The original OVA was good, but not a masterpiece, imo. What it did, though, was accurately portray what everything else was going to be like.
AMG is a guy's series, since Belldandy is there to support him as he tries to make the transition to adulthood, with no family emotional support and after getting kicked out of his club residence, thereby losing the companionship of the only people in town he knew.
AMG is a fairly low-key series, so if you're not in the mood for that, which apparently Bamboo wasn't, then it can be irritating to sit through. (Bagpipes can be grating on the ears if you are tired, too, which may be why she hated the OP. Coming home from a convention, I would bet that this was the case.) If you are in the mood for something peppy, I think you'll find that it's a great song overall. (The OST has some really great pieces, too, but the best ones are at the end of the disc, so try and listen to the latter half first when evaluating it.)
I think the key to understanding Belldandy's appeal is summed up in a scene from later on in season 2, where Bell comes upon Keiichi in a compromising position with another woman. If this was Love Hina, we all know what would happen next. Instead, Bell simply asks if anyone needs help. When the woman asks why she's not upset, Bell replies that long ago she made the decision to give Keiichi her unconditional trust and faith, with the implication that so far he hasn't let her down. Who among us doesn't yearn for a relationship like that? Of course, Keiichi promptly explains what really happened, to put her mind at ease, since the thought that it might be something untword does cross her mind. To confirm this, there is an ep or two dealing with feelings of jealousy which develop in her as she falls deeper in love with Keiichi, showing that she's not inherently perfect- she just tries as hard as she can to be the best possible person she can be, based upon what she was raised to believe.
She's not an emotional doormat; rather she's been raised to believe in people's goodness and to give them the benefit of the doubt, which is a nice contrast to the suspicion and over-reacting which typify so much of real-life romance.
Exactly-I concur 110%!!
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
"When Rumbling Hearts first appeared on the fansub circuit, back in the day, I scoffed at it. I was operating under the bias that since it was based on a visual novel, it couldn't possibly be good, that at the best, it'd be nothing but melodramatic soap trash. Now at the last volume, I couldn't be happier that I gave the series a chance."

Bamboo, my jaw literally dropped when I read those lines in your review. Someone who admits to a bias, is willing to challenge that bias, and then concede that perhaps it was unjustified deserves a standing ovation and more. For whatever it may be worth your opinion will carry a whole lot more weight with me in the future, whether or not we happen to agree on the subject at hand.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Funny you guys should mention Rumbling Hearts cause I'm watching the 2nd volume (@$$^@&*#!netflix sent me the 2nd disc first)-I really like it-but then I'm a big fan of this genre-it kinda reminds me of Boys Be. The story does have it's cliches, but it just sucked me in. I'll be able to make a more informed judgement after I see the first volume in a day or two.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Funny you guys should mention Rumbling Hearts cause I'm watching the 2nd volume (@$$^@&*#!netflix sent me the 2nd disc first)-I really like it-but then I'm a big fan of this genre-it kinda reminds me of Boys Be. The story does have it's cliches, but it just sucked me in. I'll be able to make a more informed judgement after I see the first volume in a day or two.

This is part of the reason I watch so many series at once, I space the series disks several apart so I don't get them out of order if it doesn't ship from a close DC or whatever. I hate getting them out of order and having to wait to watch till I get previous one. I wont watch out of order unless it's really something I know wont make a difference. Sorry you had to watch Rumbling Hearts out of order, that would be a bad one to get that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6