• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gender-switching anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
6 pages, and nobody's mentioned Aoi, the extremely feminine, cross-dressing male cop from You're Under Arrest?

For shame!!

For those of you not in the know, go google some pictures. Yeah. THAT'S A DUDE. Shocked
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote
The recent Uchouten Kazoku's main character, Yasaburou, cross-shapeshifts between male and female human appearances a lot in early episodes. Since his male human form is also just a product of tanuki shapeshifting, I wonder if it counts, but even in his original tanuki form, he's clearly male.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet (too lazy to seach this thread) but Okane ga Nai has a transsexual as a supporting character.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
How come Ame Nochi Hare hasn't been mentioned here yet? It's about five boys at a private school, who turn into girls every time it rains. (Due to being in school when lightning strikes the building. Doesn't that always work?) What makes this different from other anime/manga?

It's not an ecchi title.

It's not a comedy.

It's not a harem series.

What it is is a character study featuring five interesting protagonists as they try to solve the mystery behind their curse. I haven't read it for a while, so I'll just quietly sit in the corner and reread it, waiting for the Ame Nochi Hare anime that will never be. *sigh*
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
How come Ame Nochi Hare hasn't been mentioned here yet? ...
... waiting for the Ame Nochi Hare anime that will never be. *sigh*

If it does not have an anime that might be the reason why it was not mentioned here.
There is a thread for "Gender-bending Manga" in the manga forum. The thread has been locked, due to necroposting, but you can still read it. If you want to you should be able to start a new thread for the topic in the manga forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
The first episode of Log Horizon had a gender-bending scene. Akatsuki, one of the main characters, is a girl who's been playing as a male assassin with her friend Shiroe. When she found herself stuck in the world of Elder Tales she retained the form of her usual avatar so essentially she would have to live as a man. Luckily her friend Shiroe had a shape-changing potion to change her character's gender to female. Up until this point Shiroe didn't know Akatsuki was actually a girl.

Something tells me that, Marie, another character in the show is actually a guy playing a female elf, but prefers to remain as a busty girl.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
The character Hibiki Amawa from I, My, Me Strawberry Eggs has himself change into a woman to get a teaching job because the principal will only hire females because she has a distaste for men.

Lady St. Juste from Onii-sama e... has male characteristics from the way she dresses to her mannerisms as well as Kaoru Orihara and both of them are worshiped by feminine girls in the school.

Sobaash of the Banner of the Stars series who serves as Lafiel's second-in-command on the Basroil seems to be this way as well with defining male characteristics, but seems to look like a bifauxnen female.

Cowboy Bebop has another gender-bending character in the form of Gren from the Jupiter Jazz episodes, he has the feminine-looking features but also has another part of him spoiler[ that is female when Faye bursts in on him while he's in the shower and is shown to have breasts, a result of Gren's tenure in prison when he was given injections as part of being an experiment.]

Inuyasha has its' share of a gender-bender character in the form of the feminine looking Jakotsu of the Band of Seven who acts more female than male who develops an obsession with Inuyasha. I think some people mistake him for a female at times.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
I read this whole thread, and nobody mentioned Kyubei from Gintama? For shame!

I love how Gintama presents its female characters as badass (although it's a bit disappointing that none of them can be shown as stronger than the main male characters like Gintoki and Hijikata...Shonen Jump rules, I guess). Kyubei was raised as a boy to be a proper heir for the Yagyu family, and she kidnaps Shinpachi's sister Tae to be her bride. Gintama has a lot of crossdressing and a few okama characters played for laughs, but Kyubei's feelings are played straight (at least in her first arc). She's confused about her gender and sexuality, she loves Tae (they even kiss!) but as a best friend or a girlfriend is never made clear, and Tae's feelings for Kyubei are kept ambiguous as well. You can watch her arc starting in Gintama ep 76, although in explaining her character I spoiled the reveal that she's female, which happens at the end of the arc.

I also love Le Chavalier D'Eon, because it is very loosely based off/inspired by the life of a real 17th century French spy who chose to live as a woman. Some people site his story as the first famous transsexual in Europe. The anime is complete fictional fantasy, though, and his actual life story is way more interesting. It's too bad they didn't play it straight!

In the anime, D'Eon is haunted by the ghost of his late sister, who takes over his body and turns D'Eon into a badass swordsman way more skilled than D'Eon as a man.

Also, 7 pages and not one poster mentioned Wandering Son, the anime and manga about a boy who is male-to-female transgender, and a girl who is female-to-male transgender. I read some of the manga. It's a very low key, sweet series that treats gender, identity and sexuality issues with gravity.

Crunchyroll just legalized Yamada and the Seven Witches, which is definitely worth reading if you like genderbender romps. Yamada and a female classmate switch bodies, hilarity ensues. It doesn't have an anime (yet), but it does have a live action adaptation and an animated promo. The whole thing is played for laughs, so don't expect any deep revelations about gender identity, but it is quite funny and reminded me of Your and My Secret by Ai Morinaga. Morinaga specializes in hilarious shoujo parody. In My Heavenly Hockey Club, a girl is tricked into joining the all boys field hockey team at her high school. It's not all that genderbender-y beyond the first few chapters but it is a lot of fun (it reminds me of Ouran because that's what its poking fun at, and it does a much better job than Ouran at pure shoujo satire).
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
My favourite one is Hourou Musuko/Wandering Son.
I found it really touching how the two main characters struggled with their identity, with Shuicihi being girl imprisoned within a male body and Yoshino wanting to become a boy. Plus it does deal with how people perceive transgendered people and gives slight, but still, insight into some of the dilemmas they face.

The mentioned I My Me Strawberry Eggs was a more of a funny take on the gender bending, but also there is a creepy bit with a pupil falling for a teacher (thinking it's a female) and him, well, slightly leading her on.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:
Cowboy Bebop ...

What about Edward, where you never know whether Edward is a he or a she.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Ruka from Steins;Gate would be a good example. He dresses and acts like a woman spoiler[and even becomes a woman in one of the many skewed timelines after sending a text to the past telling his mother to eat plenty of vegetables].

Peppo from Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo also fits the bill spoiler[as she is implied to be male (or to at least have male genitalia)].

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex originally male before becoming a cybernetic female?

Poor Hideyoshi from Baka and Test is a fairly effeminate and pretty male who, despite constantly professing otherwise, is treated like a girl by his male classmates.

There's a character from Sekirei (I want to say Haruka, but can't remember for sure) who passes herself off as a male because she doesn't want to fall for/get involved with an Ashikabi.

Inga from Un-Go spends most of her time in the form of a little boy before ultimately transforming into her true, voluptuous self when she wants to asks wrong-doers a question.

One of my favorites, though, is Ritsu from Fruits Basket. His character-centric episode in the series is hysterical and poignant all at the same time.

Also, not sure if body switching counts towards the topic's parameters, but if so, Birdy the Mighty has some pretty funny moments involving gender alternating.

Additionally, I haven't yet watched it, but Kokoro Connect supposedly has polygonal body/gender switching elements.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
One of my favorites, though, is Ritsu from Fruits Basket. His character-centric episode in the series is hysterical and poignant all at the same time.

I like Ritsu too - behind the hysteria one of the kindest, most considerate characters in the story along with Tohru, Momiji and the manga-only Kureno. I find it very interesting that his problem is almost exactly the opposite of spoiler[Momiji's - a mom who's hurting him not by neglect but by transferring her fears for him onto him because she does love him.]
Also interesting that his interactions with Yuki are some of the few times that we see Yuki in a rather negative light - after all, it's not Ritsu's fault that he isn't aware of Yuki's issues with Ayame (I'm sure he would have watched his wording had he known), and Yuki is somewhat callous when it becomes clear that Ritsu's situation really isn't a joke.
Final thought - I really, really wish the anime would have added the coda to his primary chapter in the manga where spoiler[a relationship between himself and Shigure's editor Mitsuru begins.] Come on guys, would it have been that hard to add?

I also like Kuranosuke from Princess Jellyfish - a young man of honor, poise and grace. I would love for a second limited series to come out once the manga is completed and it's confirmed how things are going to go down.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
mai yukino wrote:
Cowboy Bebop ...

What about Edward, where you never know whether Edward is a he or a she.
?
Edward is a girl. The confusion during her introduction to the series and her androgynous appearance muddles it at first, but Edward herself says she's a girl.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell has always been female. There is an episode in the second season of the TV series that shows her childhood, and how she was originally given a cyborg body.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell has always been female. There is an episode in the second season of the TV series that shows her childhood, and how she was originally given a cyborg body.

Hmmm...I coulda sworn that in one of the later season one episodes that she was talking with Batou about how much more fun/easy it is being a woman compared to before she became full cyborg (which I assume meant she was male before). Oh well. Still gotta watch season two!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8