• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shota Community, Other LiveJournal Accounts Suspended

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
they realized that if Tarquin's son could rape one of their daughters, what could stop him from doing likewise to others'?

Okay, I follow you, I would've thought the same.

Quote:
And they knew, in their hearts, that the act was wrong.

No, they didn't. Not unless you can prove they did, which you can't. Also among the things that you operate but cannot neither define nor prove is the very concept of "wrong". To me, the existance of moralists like you is "wrong" - does this mean that I should kill you? Smile

Quote:
By your lights, they should not have raised a finger until it was them or their daughter who were assaulted.

If you consider reading lolicon manga an assault, I truly doubt that the culture you grew up in is "free".

Quote:
by not taking others into account with your lolicon enthusiasm, you will be infringing on others

Doesn't that make downloading illegal scanlations the option moral-wise? Wink

Quote:
Then what were 40,000 people doing last year at AX? Just coincidentally milling about in the same place?

Okay, then. If a panic does issue, and anime becomes the next scapegoat, will you be here arguing that we should stop watching anime for the sake of the anime fandom?

Quote:
non-loli anime fandom, distance yourself from the loli crowd, or loli crowd, have the good sense to at least camouflage what you're doing, and, for god's sake, publishers, don't go selling this loli garbage in bookstores, because it will tear down anime fandom if the pundits see it

Wasn't that the general attitude of the US South towards blacks after the Civil War? %) I mean, instead of arguing that people should be ashamed of their interest in lolicon works, that they are harmful to the fandom in general, that "if they see us hanging out with you they'll beat us up", wouldn't it be better to actually try and educate the public that lolicon is not about raping minors?

Quote:
make sure it's very damn'd private and divorced from anime fandom as a whole

Do you consider yourself a perfectly reasonable human being? Yes you do. Now let's say that I don't. You act as if you are one. I find that abhorrent. So plase don't.

Quote:
I believe that your mode of living is corrosive to society.

You keep saying that, but have you presented even one argument in favor of that point of view. Yes, I am aware that you don't feel the need to do that, since the absolute majority will agree "because they know in their heart that it is wrong", but for the sake of debate, please try.

Quote:
Self-restraint is a sign of strength.

Only when it is exercised as a result of a conscious realization, instead of the usualy "mom and dad always taught me to" and "oh, but that's the RIGHT thing to do!".
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:
Steroid wrote:
Privately, I have an obligation, if one can call it that, not to exceed the speed of light or produce a triangle whose angles do not add up to pi.

Angles of a triangle, adding up to pi? Would you like to take a moment to revise that sentence?

He used radian unit (which is much, much more useful in calculus and analytical geometry) instead of the more common but less useful degree unit (180°). One can always create a triangle with angles don't add up to pi by making it on a curved surface instead of a plane.

Actually, I'm well familiar with the radian unit. That wasn't what made me kvetch, but rather the unspoken assumption that this hypothetical triangle was necessarily in a euclidean plane. As you mentioned, triangles on a curved surface will violate the angles = π radians "rule", as will triangles in curved, non-euclidean space (say, near an event horizon).

- abunai

Well, then it's not really a triangle, is it? My dictionary calls a triangle a polygon, and a polygon a plane figure. If it's on a curved surface, it's like a bent plate thingy.

Will address pat_payne's post later.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
But I guess screaming about it like you've just been denied the right to vote and singing protest songs you got from last weekend's box office champ is more effective.

Quoted for truth. Razz

And my crusade against the jihad on wikipedia continues! Whee! :p
Steroid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
Okey dokey, here we go.

pat_payne wrote:
And, funny you should bring up nature. To Cicero, nature holds the ultimate obligation -- though it is not the one that you would recognize, as to you nature is an impersonal thing that you just exist in. Instead nature, to him, was the rational thought of society, one that had the power of promoting good and forbidding evil, even above and beyond written law.

But that's just so counter-intuitive. Nature has so many elements of randomness, or contrariness, that to call it a function of society doesn't work consistently. If nature is the rational thought of society, then why did nature exist before man? (true in the religious or the nihilistic view of the world). If nature promotes good and forbids evil, then why does it allow the brains of humans, a natural item, to form thoughts deemed evil?

Quote:
(forgive the religious portions of the passage, I do not necessarily agree that reason/rationality/virtue/self-control/what-have-you has to be bound up with God(s) or that athiests cannot be as virtuous or reasoning as believers, but this was written at a time when religious feeling was higher than it is today -- in the interest of full disclosure, I am an agnostic)

Cicero, again, this time from The Laws wrote:
From our childhood we have learned, my Quintus,(Quintus Tullius Cicero -- Marcus' brother --ed.) to call such phrases as this "that a man appeals to justice, and goes to law," and many similar expressions "law," but, nevertheless, we should understand that these, and other similar commandments and prohibitions, have sufficient power to lead us on to virtuous actions and to call us away from vicious ones. Which power is not only far more ancient than any existence of states and people, but is coeval with God himself, who beholds and governs both heaven and earth. For it is impossible that the divine mind can exist in a state devoid of reason; and divine reason must necessarily be possessed of a power to determine what is virtuous and what is vicious.

For instance, he relates that the city of Rome had no laws regarding rape early in its history. Yet, when Sextus Tarquinius, the son of the Etruscan king of Rome Tarquinus Superbus, raped Lucretia, the city's populace realized that the act was viscerally wrong and followed Lucius Junius Brutus to right matters by overthrowing the Tarquins. They did this because they had an obligation to each other -- they realized that if Tarquin's son could rape one of their daughters, what could stop him from doing likewise to others'? And they knew, in their hearts, that the act was wrong. By your lights, they should not have raised a finger until it was them or their daughter who were assaulted.

Not at all. What Cissy seems to be saying, and with which I agree, is that crimes and ethics are based on objective facts. But what he's not saying, and I am, is that those are based on morals which are subjective. It did not need heart to tell them that the rape of a woman was wrong. What made it wrong was the subjective decision of Lucretia that she did not want to tarry with Sextus, and Sextus's forceful objective action.

Rape is wrong, whether there are laws against it or not. Ditto murder, and robbery, and wrongful imprisonment. But consensual sex, as well as giving away one's property, and voluntary imprisonment, and voluntary suicide, are moral. If Lucretia and Sextus consented, Tarquinus and Junius would have no call to interfere.

Quote:
And, bringing us back to the argument at hand, I still vehemently argue that by not taking others into account with your lolicon enthusiasm, you will be infringing on others. I have stated my case, as has the publisher of Seven Seas, who said much the same as I have constantly said in his long statement explaining the cancellation of "Nymphet."; That even if you believe yourself to be an individual, we are in the same boat with you as anime fans, and that should a panic ensue, it will reflect on all anime fans.

I could turn it around, though. Your actions would result in anime fans being considered easy marks, who will cave in to societal pressure. I would say that's a worse reputation than being called pedophiles. It certainly doesn't apply to me; why should I have to wear the label? What criterion defines the community, if such it is? Sheer numbers? Inertia?

Quote:
This leads in to your next point:

Quote:
But I am not part of a formal group called manga fandom. I am a manga fan, but that does not make me part of a group.

Then what were 40,000 people doing last year at AX? Just coincidentally milling about in the same place? There is, true, no FORMAL group, but fandom is still a community. Human existence is bound up in communities. . . .

It is the same with anime and manga fandoms. You and I, Steroid, disagree vehemently, passionately on this philosophical point. However, by dint of being both fans of anime and manga, we have that common frame of reference. We "know the lingo." Like it or not, you and I are members of a wider community just by that simple criterion.

But it's an ethereal connection. That formality is the essence of whether an individual, or small group, reflects on the whole. A salesman for Amway or Avon has a contract with the community we call a company--his actions represent the company, and he can be punished by the community up to and excluding expulsion. I cannot be kicked out of the anime fan community, no matter what I do. I have no contract. Therefore, my actions and preferences do not reflect on the community.

Quote:
Quote:
The only way it does is when I contract with a seller to buy a manga. That transaction is a closed circle between me and the seller; it morally affects no other sellers or buyers. I see no responsibility to make sure that you get your non-loli manga or that LJ stays familty-friendly.

Again, the good old cry of "The KKK took my loli away, my loli away, away from meEEEeee..." (that was by Pat Payne and the "Please, Last Remaining Member of the Ramones, Don't Sue Us" Singers Razz ). Again, no one is saying to you "don't read/download/buy lolicon." I am saying "non-loli anime fandom, distance yourself from the loli crowd, or loli crowd, have the good sense to at least camouflage what you're doing, and, for god's sake, publishers, don't go selling this loli garbage in bookstores, because it will tear down anime fandom if the pundits see it."

In that, I do believe that it affects other people ( I don't buy this "buyer-seller" terminology, as if all humanity is is one big market where the purpose of life is to push little green pieces of paper around, but I digress).

Well, the buyer-seller view is a snapshot of a moment in time. As I buy a loli manga, my main identity is buyer, the store's main identity is seller. But this too is an example of our differing metaphysics: I tend to see discreteness, you tend to see continuity.

And what benefit does it accrue to a loli fan to cover up his loli manga? Yes, it might save the general manga industry from a firestorm, but it reduced the chances that the loliconner will convince the world of the rightness of his views, or at least the right to share them.

Quote:
Quote:
My best course of action is to find a series of other private parties that celebrate pedophila.

Fine. Well and good (that is not my actual position on those groups, but c'est l'debate.). But a) don't go shouting it to the rooftops and annoying those of us who find it to be abhorrent and aberrant and b) make sure it's very damn'd private and divorced from anime fandom as a whole and c) be aware of the personal risk you run should the laws suddenly change, or you run afoul of current law and are caught.

B is your responsibility, not ours. A and C are contradictory. We can best manage our personal risk by asserting our rights to read from the rooftops, not by presenting a claim of societal benefit, which would be seen thought in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Quote:

Not anarchy, as this is not a question of government, but one of customs. I do want unfettered thought. Anything thought by a human being is sacrosanct to me, even if it is the desire to rape or kill or enslave.

But we get back to another point of mine. Yes, you cannot go policing others' thoughts. It is impractical, absurd and thouroughly unethical. We all have thoughts pop into our heads that the better angels of our nature soon sweep away. No one should be punished for those. However, at the same time, as I said once before, "Ethics do not stop at the limit of the cranium." You can have a thought, but it does not always follow that you have to commit it to paper or a computer screen, particularly if it is the desire to kill or rape or enslave. If one writes a treatise on "here's the best way to shoot someone in the back and make it look like an accident" or "here's the preferred method of kidnapping, raping and killing a 6-year-old girl and making it undetectable," then hell yes the writer should be punished, because that writing has put other people in danger, even if the author had no intention himself of acting on it -- others will.

Disagree. Ethics very much do stop at the limit of the cranium. If they do not, that means there is no place in this universe where things are truly free. Which for me is definitively a malevolent universe. By my standards, the freedom of human thought is more important than human existence--live free or die. If someone wrote a treatise on "how to make a poison gas from items found around your home that will spread across the earth and kill one person--Steroid," I would sooner accept near-certain death than live censoring it. I would rail against the actual use, since that would be murder. But justice is greater to me than life.

Quote:
Quote:
If all they are doing is talking and writing, then morally there is no difference between philosophers and pedophiles.

I disagree, because one group is discussing political theory, or the nature of the universe and man's place in it, while the other group is leering over accounts of young children being sexually abused.

That's descriptive, not argumentative. And it's emotional. One might argue that philosophers and politicians have done more damage over the years than pedophiles. But that's beside the point. You must take greater account of the limit. If ALL they are doing is talking and writing and reading. The moment someone actually sets up a government based on a philosophy, or makes a decision based on a certain ethics, or the moment a pedophile advances on a youth, the limit is broken. Actions can be weighed, but thoughts all have equal value.

Quote:
Quote:
Again, when it comes to private parties, everything is fine. If a group wants to contact LJ and demand takedowns, they can do so. If LJ wants to accede, it may do so. If I want to rant at them and call them wrong, I may do so. If I turn around and found a site that allows pedophilia groups but bans discussions on enforcing moralities I do not agree with, I may do so also.

In this, we're in imperfect agreement. You do have those rights, just as I have the right to disagree and take issue with the lolicon community because of my own beliefs.

And so, ad infinitum. The question is who will take the first action against the other, if any?

Quote:
Quote:
I would not suffer such a person to stay in my home, or in any territory I controlled.

Likewise, I would deny fire and water to one who believes as you do. I believe that your mode of living is corrosive to society. We do not need (nor would it be desirable) to live in a dictatorial regime, which are as destructive to humanity in a different direction as a completely chaotic "Individual rights over all, and screw others so long as I have mine" would be. Both show a lack of moderation. The former is parochial and soul-crushing, the other is so random as to be unconducive to a fnctioning society. Under your mode of life, I believe society would shatter.

Not sure you're accurately representing my view. It's more, "Individual rights over all, and others must fend for themselves so long as I have mine." My view depends on people being strong and focussed enough to get what they want. The view of moderation says that those who are not should still get what they want. Which strikes me as assigning value to the valueless.

Quote:
Quote:
What is the benefit that accrues if steadfastness and self-restraint emerge?

The benefit is a strong society, one that respects individual freedoms but tempers them with a commitment to the whole as well. Along with that is the fact that steadfastness and self-restraint also breed harmony, honesty and peace (our current president, I would argue, has no self-restraint).

But self-restraint would be ultimately dishonest. It would mean not saying what one thinks out of respect for the community. Which would mean disharmony and strife with those like me who do not follow the code. It would work, if and only if everyone played by the rules. A Brave New World, if you will. (nothing wrong with BNW--I always thought it a proper utopia, not a dystopia) But one breach, one rebel, destroys the peace of all, and it is the fault of the all, not the rebel.

Quote:
Quote:
I do not hold them as self-evident goods, indeed, I hold self-restraint as a nearly self-evident evil. Self-restraint is a confession of impotence and a complaint of poor providence by nature.

I strongly disagree. Self-restraint is a sign of strength. It is a sign of weakness to give in to every impulse, to allow one to be buffeted by the winds of desire, jealousy, anger and lust (I , myself have to raise my self-restraint a bit, as I, more times than I'd like, let those winds move me, as does everyone -- that, too, is human nature).

I think it is confused to connect desire and lust with jealousy and anger. Desire and lust are "first-level" feelings. We desire food, lust for companionship, disdain toil. Anger and lust are "second-level" feelings. We are jealous of him who has that we desire. We are angry at our inability to solve a problem. Fill the desires, slake the lusts, and the anger and envy are never formed.

Self-restraint applied consistently and ethically, would mean that declining a morsel more than the calories needed to survive. It would mean naught but survival and procreation. Self-indulgence, applied consistently and ethically, would mean consuming only what one has produced, but no less, which means producing to one's desires. It takes much more strength to build and consume than to abstain from building and consuming.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

And I think you are thinking of DearS, which had a very horny teacher who apparently had her own section in the porn section of the video store. Unlike the teacher from Mahoromatic, who was just interested in the main character, the teacher from DearS seemed to be just plain horny and not interested in any particular individual. That's about all I remember from that abysmal show. I don't recall any characters like that in Midori Days.

I believe the eps played one in front of the other at con when I saw them & I was unimpressed with both, but horrified by the teacher being a blatant copy of the Mahoro teacher I detested.

But it also shows what I was talking about. Ine person adds a characer like that, then someone else somes along & one-ups it. Like dragging a classic like Romeo & Juliet into such a debate. One is a classic with recognised appeal & major themed unrelated to the tragic teen lovers having sex ( It's been a million yrs since I read it. OK, 10th grade & I'm 47. 35 yrs?) I seem to recall the priest secretly married them at some point so, at least the last time I checked, a teen getting married makes the teen an adult or emancipated or some such stuff. Mom & dad are no longer guardian or something. Mahoro is by no means classic literature, but as you commented on the DearS anime being abysmal, it obviously hits a bit lower on the literary scale than even Mahoro. And, as you point out, at least in Mahoro, the teacher was fixated on a specific kid(stalker mode) vs the DearS teacher who was after all the boys.

Really, one would think liking lolita or shouta would be something to keep one's mouth shut about. I was a bit surprised at all the people defending to the death their right to this stuff. Yeah, the kids are passionate & when one's a teen. isn't everthing unfair? Don't they look for things to make themselves different? So banding together & using the pirates song is to be expected. (I found that opening scene of the people singing at the gallows to be the worst part of the movie. Let's show how eveil the India Company jerk has become, killing all these people. Ooo, they're martyrs. No. They're not martyrs. Otherwise, for my money PotC 3 is the best of the bunch. If you haven't seen it, don't leave until the credits finish scrolling)

I was shocked at the recent ethics class I attended (they send us every other year) that MySpace is part of the employment screening process. If they don't like what they see on your MySpace, you don't get hired. Wow. Be very careful what they can trace you back to. You think your loli & shouta is annonymous? Think again.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about the long silence -- I had other things to do this weekend, and had no chance to get on for the weekend. That pesky real life business, y'know Smile

Quote:
I could turn it around, though. Your actions would result in anime fans being considered easy marks, who will cave in to societal pressure. I would say that's a worse reputation than being called pedophiles.

And that's your opinion, to which you're certainly entitled. I personally, if I were to be forced to be falsely and groundlessly tarred with one of the two brushes, would rather be considered a fool than a pedophile. Fools, at least, have the luxury of not being considered coeval with or even just below criminals on the societal ladder.

Quote:
I cannot be kicked out of the anime fan community, no matter what I do. I have no contract. Therefore, my actions and preferences do not reflect on the community.

You're right -- no governing body can expel you from anime fandom. If you are in an anime club, they may have anti-loli rules, but that is a slightly different matter. However, I still believe that if loli material ever is offered on open sale and it is discovered by the media, that we will all be thrust into the same one-size-fits-all stereotype by an overzealous, bottom-feeding, ratings-at-all costs media. I can see the TV headlines: "Are Japanese Comics Turning Your Kids into Future Child Molesters? Film at 11"

There is a principle that at least in the eyes of the law, blessedly, is discounted, discredited, and dismissed -- the principle of guilt by association. That if I travel in the same general circles with someone, even if I do not subscribe to their beliefs, by dint of being in the same social grouping I'm tarred withtheir crime. Muslims are feeling this right now, as the moderates are trying to explain that they cannot be held responsible for 9/11 and other terror attacks. Yet they are lumped in with radicalized Muslims who were responsible.
In much the same way, what would happen to anime fandom is this -- They'd see: A. This is a comic showing little girls/boys being molested. B. It's Japanese. C. We know that the Japanese have exported videos of women being raped by tentacles. D. This must mean that all Japanese cartoons are porn and their fans should be censured.

That's something of an oversimplification, but you see how from a small seed a horrible overarching animus might spring?

Quote:
But this too is an example of our differing metaphysics: I tend to see discreteness, you tend to see continuity.

In this you speak truth. I tend to see us all as passengers on a ship or airplane, where the actions of one can severly impact the rest, but at the same time, making for a cohesive society. You see us, as I discern, all as if we are solitary wanderers who sometimes interact for good or ill, meaning more freedom but also more isolation (please correct me if I got your side wrong on that.)

Quote:
And what benefit does it accrue to a loli fan to cover up his loli manga? Yes, it might save the general manga industry from a firestorm, but it reduced the chances that the loliconner will convince the world of the rightness of his views, or at least the right to share them.

In the slim chance you could achieve that feat, it would most likely be a Phyrric victory. Well before that happens, I still believe that a good-sized moral panic would hole the boat of the anime industry and fandom, severly, perhaps irreprably damaging anime's reputation in America. And pushing for acceptance of Lolicon at this historical moment is an unwise choice of plan.

There has to be some sort of consensus of merit towards societally controversial movements. Abolition had fundamental merit -- people were being held in bondage. The Civil Rights movement had fundamental merit -- people were being denied essential rights because of their color. The gay rights movement I do (within certain limits -- I don't yet agree that gays have an unlimited right to marry when I can be denied marraige to a woman for any number of criteria) believe has fundamental merit -- consenting adults who choose to engage in sexual activity should not be impeded on the basis of their orientation. At this time, however, lolicon does not have merit in the minds of most Americans. Above all else, the public has said, loud and clear that you do not mess sexually with children, even if it's only fiction. Messing with children, or writing fiction that heavily plays on the explicit abuse of children is not going to gain sympathy points with the public, particularly in this day and age of fears over sexual predators.

In another thread, I mentioned the film Hounddog, in which there is a scene where a group of older boys order a 12-year-old character, played by Dakota Fanning, to remove her clothes and then is raped by one of them. The scene is shot from angles where the assault is obscured, she was wearing a flesh-colored bodysuit, and people were on hand to make sure that the actress was not harmed in any way. Still, there was a backlash of reaction to the film. Right now, In North Carolina (where the movie was shot) there is a bill wending its way through their legislature that would mandate prior review and approval of film scripts before the state would grant production incentives to any film production company. This occurred because of the anger over Hounddog.

Quote:
B is your responsibility, not ours.

I see it differently. I argue "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", and you counter that "The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many." It is your responsibility, because even though you do not believe it, collective guilt and guilt by association does exist. It shouldn't, but it does.

Quote:
A and C are contradictory.

Mind telling me how they are contradictory? I merely said that on the one hand, you would be better served, if you are going to persist, in keeping a low profile --and that on the other, that you should go into what you are doing with a clear appreciation of the risks as they now stand, and a realization that obscenity law is a quicksand that can drop out from under you in an insant.

Let me put it this way -- at this moment, you can run afoul of the law as a loli. Let's say you post a scanlation of a loli manga. Let's say a postal inspector in Tennessee or Tennessee state policeman or an overzealous Tennessee state or US prosecutor happens across your scanlation in a random sweep (they are known to do this). You can be ordered arrested and extradited to Tennessee for violating Tennessee's obscenity laws, even if you have never in your life set foot in the state, because someone accessed your material in the state. This is not a hypothetical matter. Producers of legitimate porn and even BBS operators have been hauled in front of Tennessee judges for obscenity proceedings (and, as the cited case shows, they might try to additionally entrap to sex up [pardon the expression] the charges) that the state may very well win.

Quote:
We can best manage our personal risk by asserting our rights to read from the rooftops, not by presenting a claim of societal benefit

It's a near-impossibly tough road to hoe. If people on this board (who, in theory, should be a bit more sympathetic, just by dint of being otaku) have a fair likelyhood of being repelled by loli (myself included), what chance do you realistically have with the general American public? Some of whom burn Harry Potter books for being "satanist?" As I said, They're not going to understand or tolerate "We're here, we're loli, get used to it." You may find yourselves as Icarus...going for an impossible goal, and crashing back to earth as your reward.

Quote:
which would be seen thought in a heartbeat.

This typo makes it hard for me to understand what you were trying to say here. Sorry.

Quote:
And so, ad infinitum. The question is who will take the first action against the other, if any?

It's not a question of taking direct action, other than as I said fandom distancing themselves from lolicon for its own survival. It's not by any means (nor would I condone) a question of non-loli otaku ripping loli manga from the hands of lolis.

Quote:
Not sure you're accurately representing my view. It's more, "Individual rights over all, and others must fend for themselves so long as I have mine." My view depends on people being strong and focussed enough to get what they want. The view of moderation says that those who are not should still get what they want. Which strikes me as assigning value to the valueless.

Then we are both misinterpreting each other's positions, and on my side, I apologize. Moderation does not by any means mean socialism. Cicero (to return to him) would have laughed at attempts to create a classless society or an equal, socialistic share of wealth. All moderation is is to listen to one's conscience, give due consideration for those around you and to always strive to live a noble, honorable life. Strive for what you want when it is within your means and abilities (or even beyond them if you're particularly skillful or lucky), but take no base or dishonorable actions to get it. It has nothing to do with assigning "value to the valueless."

Quote:
But self-restraint would be ultimately dishonest. It would mean not saying what one thinks out of respect for the community. Which would mean disharmony and strife with those like me who do not follow the code.
]

You seem to mistake self-restraint for self-censorship. There is a difference between saying "I believe that George W. Bush is one of the worst presidents we have ever had -- I repent of having voted for him as he has been a thourough disaster in office and will vote for anyone who promises to correct his egregious missteps and catastrophes" or "I never liked that moron Bush -- good riddence to him once he finally leaves office" and standing out on a street corner screaming death threats against the President at the top of your lungs. The former is self-restraint without being self-censoring. The latter is fully unrestrained. Ideas expressed with self-restraint can be debated and theirn merits weighed. Unrestraind ones cannot, as they are often so violently passionate that they end up less tools of inquiry and more battering rams.

People can still disagree and exercise self-restraint. We are saying what we both think while still being respectful of the community. I am not calling you any of a miryad of obscene names, and you are not doing likewise. We are having a sedate, if passionate, discussion, one that could not happen without some measure of self-restraint. Self-restraint simply does not mean a lock-step hive mind.

Quote:
Self-restraint applied consistently and ethically, would mean that declining a morsel more than the calories needed to survive. It would mean naught but survival and procreation. Self-indulgence, applied consistently and ethically, would mean consuming only what one has produced, but no less, which means producing to one's desires. It takes much more strength to build and consume than to abstain from building and consuming.

Again, you seem to mistakenly argue that self-restraint and self-indulgence are completely and utterly mutually exclusive, or that self-restraint necessarily means self-denial and ascetism. All I said was that self-restraint is not allowing your lusts to rule you -- you rule your lusts and strive for the things you desire, but in an ethical and restrained manner. Me? I love books. I cannot have a large enough library. I am, to put it bluntly, a bibliophile. Does that mean that I go out to the local Borders and shoplift? Certainly not. I earn my money and buy those books that are within my means, growing my library while not cheating me of the things I need for survival. The same with anime, or music, or RPG items, or good clothing, or good food or good sake or any of the other things I enjoy. I enjoy, but in moderation. Just as I would not want to drink to excess, neither would I want to deny myself.[/url]
Steroid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
Quote:
I could turn it around, though. Your actions would result in anime fans being considered easy marks, who will cave in to societal pressure. I would say that's a worse reputation than being called pedophiles.

And that's your opinion, to which you're certainly entitled. I personally, if I were to be forced to be falsely and groundlessly tarred with one of the two brushes, would rather be considered a fool than a pedophile. Fools, at least, have the luxury of not being considered coeval with or even just below criminals on the societal ladder.

Each of our positions, as fundamentals must be, is built on positive feedback. Where my position is on the social ladder carries no weight with me. Whether it is right or wrong by the standards I have set, and whether those standards constitute a non-contradictory total worldview, does.

Quote:
You're right -- no governing body can expel you from anime fandom. If you are in an anime club, they may have anti-loli rules, but that is a slightly different matter. However, I still believe that if loli material ever is offered on open sale and it is discovered by the media, that we will all be thrust into the same one-size-fits-all stereotype by an overzealous, bottom-feeding, ratings-at-all costs media. I can see the TV headlines: "Are Japanese Comics Turning Your Kids into Future Child Molesters? Film at 11"

But would that be just on the part of the headline-writers? And if not, why blame the loliconners? Granted that there are fewer of them, that you have their ears, that they emotionally affect people more than the media, but are they the right target?

Quote:
There is a principle that at least in the eyes of the law, blessedly, is discounted, discredited, and dismissed -- the principle of guilt by association. That if I travel in the same general circles with someone, even if I do not subscribe to their beliefs, by dint of being in the same social grouping I'm tarred withtheir crime. Muslims are feeling this right now, as the moderates are trying to explain that they cannot be held responsible for 9/11 and other terror attacks. Yet they are lumped in with radicalized Muslims who were responsible.
In much the same way, what would happen to anime fandom is this -- They'd see: A. This is a comic showing little girls/boys being molested. B. It's Japanese. C. We know that the Japanese have exported videos of women being raped by tentacles. D. This must mean that all Japanese cartoons are porn and their fans should be censured.

That's something of an oversimplification, but you see how from a small seed a horrible overarching animus might spring?

I can see how it might, but I believe in the eventual operation of justice. If people with a genuine moral point, be it "Loli material should be considered morally neutral since it's just ink on paper" which I hold or, "not all manga readers are pedophiles," which we both agree to but which our hypothetical media do not, and if the proponents hold to that, then sooner or later circumstances will arrange to make the media unable to press their case. But if the anime fan community covers up the loli fans we do have via discussion, then it will be unprepared for a media assault if it comes.

Quote:
In this you speak truth. I tend to see us all as passengers on a ship or airplane, where the actions of one can severly impact the rest, but at the same time, making for a cohesive society. You see us, as I discern, all as if we are solitary wanderers who sometimes interact for good or ill, meaning more freedom but also more isolation (please correct me if I got your side wrong on that.)

Correct except for the conjunction "but." Isolation *is* freedom. An isolated person can always contract to achieve association if he perceives a benefit, but people bound to each other in society can not break apart to individuals, even if it would aid them.

Quote:
Quote:

In the slim chance you could achieve that feat, it would most likely be a Phyrric victory. Well before that happens, I still believe that a good-sized moral panic would hole the boat of the anime industry and fandom, severly, perhaps irreprably damaging anime's reputation in America. And pushing for acceptance of Lolicon at this historical moment is an unwise choice of plan.

I could argue that it would be the thin end of a wedge. That just as a few homosexuals declared themselves fifty years ago or so, paving the way for the more general acceptance of the practice today, a few lolicons declaring it as a right might lead the way to a more accepting society in the future. But I have selfish reasons. Lolicon for me is not the primary issue. Fundamentalist liberty is. And I find the best way to achieve/preserve the liberty I believe in is to argue for the most radical, most emotional, least beneficial elements of that liberty. In the first place, it is consistent. In the second, it separates those who believe in liberty versus those with a few pet issues. In the third, even if lolicon remains untolerated, it reduces the resources available to combat less radical forms of unpopular speech--if they're so busy taking away loli, they won't have time to take away guro or furries.

Quote:
There has to be some sort of consensus of merit towards societally controversial movements. Abolition had fundamental merit -- people were being held in bondage. The Civil Rights movement had fundamental merit -- people were being denied essential rights because of their color. The gay rights movement I do (within certain limits -- I don't yet agree that gays have an unlimited right to marry when I can be denied marraige to a woman for any number of criteria) believe has fundamental merit -- consenting adults who choose to engage in sexual activity should not be impeded on the basis of their orientation. At this time, however, lolicon does not have merit in the minds of most Americans. Above all else, the public has said, loud and clear that you do not mess sexually with children, even if it's only fiction. Messing with children, or writing fiction that heavily plays on the explicit abuse of children is not going to gain sympathy points with the public, particularly in this day and age of fears over sexual predators.

Consensus is a weird and wooly thing. It changes, it appears to be where it is not, it varies with place. There was no consensus on abolition in the 18th century, nor on civil rights in the 19th, nor on gay rights in the early 20th. And in the 18th, there was a consensus on gay rights--there was no such thing. Right and wrong do not change. Slavery was wrong even when everyone was in favor of it. So were poll taxes and white-only drinking fountains. And it wasn't societal benefit that fueled those movements, it was respect for individual rights. Removing slavery aided the industrialization of the country, but that wasn't the reason for abolition, the repugnance of a person as property did. Civil rights gave society the benefits of a smarter population, but the reason for the movement was fighting oppression. Homosexuality has provided few tangible benefits to society at large, but it has made an awful lot of people happier with their lives.

Quote:
Right now, In North Carolina (where the movie was shot) there is a bill wending its way through their legislature that would mandate prior review and approval of film scripts before the state would grant production incentives to any film production company. This occurred because of the anger over Hounddog.

The error there is in giving production incentives to film production companies. That is well outside the scope of government.

Quote:
I see it differently. I argue "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", and you counter that "The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many." It is your responsibility, because even though you do not believe it, collective guilt and guilt by association does exist. It shouldn't, but it does.

Not the needs of the few, the rights. And it's not guilt attaching to us by association, it's guilt attaching to you. Therefore it's your responsibility to assuage it. I am not my brother's keeper.

Quote:
Mind telling me how they are contradictory? I merely said that on the one hand, you would be better served, if you are going to persist, in keeping a low profile --and that on the other, that you should go into what you are doing with a clear appreciation of the risks as they now stand, and a realization that obscenity law is a quicksand that can drop out from under you in an insant.

They are contradictory if you take into account the idea that we have a right to read and write loli. At which point the statements resolve to A) Hide, so as to best preserve the right and C) Prepare to lose the right, rather than preserving it.

Quote:
Let me put it this way -- at this moment, you can run afoul of the law as a loli. Let's say you post a scanlation of a loli manga. Let's say a postal inspector in Tennessee or Tennessee state policeman or an overzealous Tennessee state or US prosecutor happens across your scanlation in a random sweep (they are known to do this). You can be ordered arrested and extradited to Tennessee for violating Tennessee's obscenity laws, even if you have never in your life set foot in the state, because someone accessed your material in the state. This is not a hypothetical matter. Producers of legitimate porn and even BBS operators have been hauled in front of Tennessee judges for obscenity proceedings (and, as the cited case shows, they might try to additionally entrap to sex up [pardon the expression] the charges) that the state may very well win.

Oh, I'm quite prepared for the government at any level to levy false charges against me for various reasons. I simply believe in a different means of dealing with them. I assert my rights and, if they are denied and I am hauled off to jail, I do so in full justice as a political prisoner. Indeed, this is a perfect example of what I believe to be true individualism versus simple range-of-the-moment selfishness. That would be my course of action, and if others in the same predicament took it, the government would not long stand the scrutiny. The expedient course would be to renounce lolicon and cut a deal, which in the long run gives more power to the government.

Quote:
It's a near-impossibly tough road to hoe. If people on this board (who, in theory, should be a bit more sympathetic, just by dint of being otaku) have a fair likelyhood of being repelled by loli (myself included), what chance do you realistically have with the general American public? Some of whom burn Harry Potter books for being "satanist?" As I said, They're not going to understand or tolerate "We're here, we're loli, get used to it." You may find yourselves as Icarus...going for an impossible goal, and crashing back to earth as your reward.

So close on the aphorism. . . it's "tough row to hoe." And I'm inclined to think that most people are generally in favor of freedom, no matter what their prejudices. And if some are and some aren't, then it's my responsibility to myself to join with those who are to battle those who aren't. And if none are, then it's my responsibility to cause whatever strife I can so we can get out of the way sooner and let the termites take over. ^_'

Quote:
Quote:
which would be seen thought in a heartbeat.

This typo makes it hard for me to understand what you were trying to say here. Sorry.

No, it's my error. It should be "seen through." What I meant is that the argument for any free speech should be based on the a priori right to it, not the a posteriori benefits.

Quote:
You seem to mistake self-restraint for self-censorship. There is a difference between saying "I believe that George W. Bush is one of the worst presidents we have ever had -- I repent of having voted for him as he has been a thourough disaster in office and will vote for anyone who promises to correct his egregious missteps and catastrophes" or "I never liked that moron Bush -- good riddence to him once he finally leaves office" and standing out on a street corner screaming death threats against the President at the top of your lungs. The former is self-restraint without being self-censoring. The latter is fully unrestrained. Ideas expressed with self-restraint can be debated and theirn merits weighed. Unrestraind ones cannot, as they are often so violently passionate that they end up less tools of inquiry and more battering rams.

But that is the choice of the exponent, which he may make based on emotion or on his hope for results. Again, it's a priori versus a posteriori. It depends on what one hopes to accomplish. The Bush-railer may simply wish to burn off some anger, not effect change. (understandable, as most of the alternatives are little better)

Quote:
People can still disagree and exercise self-restraint. We are saying what we both think while still being respectful of the community. I am not calling you any of a miryad of obscene names, and you are not doing likewise. We are having a sedate, if passionate, discussion, one that could not happen without some measure of self-restraint. Self-restraint simply does not mean a lock-step hive mind.

But what are our aims? Mine is primarily to organize and catalogue my thoughts and to test them by debate, and secondarily to inform the community, and tertiarily to hopefully keep society out of my business. My aims in reading loli (which I do rarely) are to indulge my passions and ensure that my ability to do so is unhampered. Self-restraint would vitiate the former aim.

Quote:
Again, you seem to mistakenly argue that self-restraint and self-indulgence are completely and utterly mutually exclusive, or that self-restraint necessarily means self-denial and ascetism. All I said was that self-restraint is not allowing your lusts to rule you -- you rule your lusts and strive for the things you desire, but in an ethical and restrained manner. Me? I love books. I cannot have a large enough library. I am, to put it bluntly, a bibliophile. Does that mean that I go out to the local Borders and shoplift? Certainly not. I earn my money and buy those books that are within my means, growing my library while not cheating me of the things I need for survival. The same with anime, or music, or RPG items, or good clothing, or good food or good sake or any of the other things I enjoy. I enjoy, but in moderation. Just as I would not want to drink to excess, neither would I want to deny myself.

Fair enough, and I salute you for good choices. But my passion, my lust, is for extremes. I delight in tales of intractable, unchanging heroes. I like it when fair coins come up tails 1000 times in a row. I root against the Chicago Cubs. It is not the element that excites me, but the purity. Because the world is invariably chaotic, purity and order strike me as the good, because in turn they show that one exists and is above the natural state. And so certainly one should exercise ethics in restraint, but never losing sight of what is being restrained, because someday there may be a chance to ethically indulge, and to my way of thinking it is equally lamentable when an ethical desire is denied as when an unethical desire is indulged.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8