• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga and American Comics

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterEd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
After reading manga for about 4 years, I realized that some of the titles I was buying regularly were complete trash. Throw-away Shonen Jump series and the like were cluttering up my shopping cart. I'm surprised it took me so long to notice that I didn't even like 1/4 of the manga I was reading.

I've enjoyed real books, novels, memoirs, short stories, so it's amazing that it took me so long to figure out that I'd like American comics. I just figured that the industry was dominated by the superhero driven DC and Marvel. Regardless, I went to my local comic shop prepared to give Superman and Spiderman a chance. When I asked the clerk where to start, he asked me what other titles I liked. When I said that the comics I read consisted mainly of manga, he didn't point me to the Batman trade paperbacks, instead, he introduced me to a title called Chew, published by Image. I had no idea Image even existed. They specialize in creator owned titles that don't switch writers and artists after only a couple issues (Ironically, since my enlightenment, I have read, and enjoyed, quite a few DC/Marvel books). Series like Invincible, The Walking Dead, Elephantmen, Morning Glories, and Irredeemable (published by Boom!) would absolutely appeal to manga fans.

I never actively disliked American comics, I just always figured that they only centered around outdated, tired characters dressed in tights. Then I realized that American Comic fans must look at manga and see big headed, wide eyed tweens dressed in maid outfits looking too innocent for their own good.

Initially I was wary about buying issues by the month, so I don't. Just like my manga, I purchase American comics in bound, trade paperback form. In reality, comic fans are comic fans, and they should embrace both styles. I guarantee you that everyone on this site could find an American comic worth reading. Now that I've broadened my tastes, I can really enjoy every series that I read.
Amibite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The thing is they are dominated by superhero titles. Sure, there's a few non cape books here and there, but they're honestly not all that much better. American comics are very stagnant and stuck in one type of genre and demographic. You're not going to find an extremely popular and long running series like One Piece which is light-hearted and adventurous (or any other Shounen Jump title for that matter): Veritgo, Image, and other non superhero books tend to go for the grim and gritty things sort of like how most American live-action shows are about crime dramas and such.

(Don't even attempt to find American equivalent to shoujo and josei)

I tried getting into US comics long ago, but got burned out pretty quickly. Superheroes are a waste of time, but even going beyond that I found very little worth reading and nothing very good. I just saw the market as being too stagnant and pigeonholed, and all the styles and feelings felt regurgitated and samey.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Sure, there's a few non cape books here and there, but they're honestly not all that much better. American comics are very stagnant and stuck in one type of genre and demographic.
Here I was operating under the assumption that comics like Love and Rockets, The Frank Book, Alec and Cerebus were quite different than the men-in-tights stories that are DC's and Marvel's bread and butter. But I been persuaded! Thank you for nuanced arguments filled with many examples. You have enlightened me, and hopefully other American comic fans who stumble upon this thread!

Quote:
You're not going to find an extremely popular and long running series like One Piece which is light-hearted and adventurous (or any other Shounen Jump title for that matter)
Uh, do you dismiss something like Jeff Smith's Bone because of ignorance, or because it was "only" serialized for 14 years?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
MisterEd wrote:
I never actively disliked American comics, I just always figured that they only centered around outdated, tired characters dressed in tights. Then I realized that American Comic fans must look at manga and see big headed, wide eyed tweens dressed in maid outfits looking too innocent for their own good.

Gosh, it is so great to see someone avoid falling into this particular pitfall. Yes, you're absolutely right. Superhero comics are really not all that different from the negative, over publicized moe blob face of manga. They are, generally, pretty terrible and totally impenetrable to those who aren't already hardcore fans. Still, there's so much more out there that people conveniently dismiss. Especially over the last decade or two there has been such an explosion of non-superhero comics. Forget DC and Marvel and check out anything from Image, Dark Horse, Vertigo or one of the other smaller publishers. If you limit yourself to just manga there is so much great stuff that you're needlessly missing out on.

Amibite wrote:
The thing is they are dominated by superhero titles. Sure, there's a few non cape books here and there, but they're honestly not all that much better. American comics are very stagnant and stuck in one type of genre and demographic. You're not going to find an extremely popular and long running series like One Piece which is light-hearted and adventurous (or any other Shounen Jump title for that matter): Veritgo, Image, and other non superhero books tend to go for the grim and gritty things sort of like how most American live-action shows are about crime dramas and such.

Aaaaand predictably, the first response is exactly the same kind of tired, self serving ignorance that you see spewed by anime/manga fans all too often.

The irony of course is that the fools spewing this nonsense are always the first ones to lose their shit should anyone suggest that manga is tired and stale because it's dominated by otaku titles. Cause of course, your hobby is totally the bastion of creativity unlike those other things you don't like which are exactly the negative stereotype people say they are. Rolling Eyes Well, whatever. There's no arguing with the wilfully ignorant.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The irony of course is that the fools spewing this nonsense are always the first ones to lose their shit should anyone suggest that manga is tired and stale because it's dominated by otaku titles. Cause of course, your hobby is totally the bastion of creativity unlike those other things you don't like which are exactly the negative stereotype people say they are. Rolling Eyes Well, whatever. There's no arguing with the wilfully ignorant.

The only one 'losing their crap' seems to be you Confused (and Bonham, to a lesser extent, though he used dripping sarcasm rather than personal insults like you did)

But um... here's your chance to preach American comic's being creative. Can you actually name some comics about football? Card games? How about spinning tops? Some magical girl? Romance (bonus points for homosexual romance)? Transgender issues? Say I wanted to read stuff like Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew.. what would you recommend?

Also try to keep it within the last year ot two, since Bonham had to resort to obscure self-published-out-of-the-author's-own-basement titles from 30 years ago to try to prove a point, so I think stagnant is a good word to use... I just looked at the top selling comics for the month and it took me until #127 or so to get to a non-superhero/Marvel/DC comic.. and that was a Star Wars comic. Razz and by that point on the list it's barely selling.

Though the top selling manga in both Japan and America are vastly varied in terms of themes and age level, so it'd be wrong to say the same thing about manga... no one genre dominates the industry like comics. You can't criticize manga the same way you can American comics, they're too different. So the whole 'moe otaku only' comment of yours has no basis and is untrue, unlike the common criticism of US comics being mostly superheroes....
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
The only one 'losing their crap' seems to be you Confused (and Bonham, to a lesser extent, though he used dripping sarcasm rather than personal insults like you did)
I have little patience for people who trash a country's contribution to a medium. It would be like someone who has tried some anime over the years, and resorted to dated, clichéd stereotypes that anime is about doe-eyed 10 year old girls and tentacle monsters, and little to nothing else of real value, so animation from Japan shouldn't be worth a look. People need to value good stories in their medium, regardless of wherever they originate.

Quote:
But um... here's your chance to preach American comic's being creative.
I'm not sure if there's that many people that would argue that diversity of topics is greater than that in Japan. The comics medium is simply more ingrained in that country than here in the U.S., and the only country that can really be compared in terms of overall output and appreciation would be France. But that would be like dismissing American films during the height of the studio system (from the 1930s to the '50s) because of their predilection for westerns, screwball comedies, gangster films, etc. Diversity is something to be valued, but it's an unfair criterion if a discussion is reduced to, "Well, I bet my dick is bigger than yours!"

Quote:
Also try to keep it within the last year ot two, since Bonham had to resort to obscure self-published-out-of-the-author's-own-basement titles from 30 years ago to try to prove a point...
This fails even as an exaggeration. The only title that even comes close to that description would be Dave Sim's Cerebus, and that's hardly an obscure comic. Love and Rockets and Frank are still on-going and are currently being published by Fantagraphics (the same company who released Hagio's A Drunken Dream and Shimura's Wandering Son). Alec just had a massive omnibus release by Top Shelf, who is far from being some obscure comic publisher. None of these are obscure; these are some of the first titles anyone who is interested in American comics past the superhero fare will discover.

Quote:
Though the top selling manga in both Japan and America are vastly varied in terms of themes and age level, so it'd be wrong to say the same thing about manga... no one genre dominates the industry like comics.
But you do have demographic dominance by the likes of shonen and shojo titles, particularly Shueisha's Weekly Jump titles. Those giant titles are most comparable to the superhero ones as far as their status within their respective industries (although, again, comic culture is still different between the two countries as far as mainstream acceptance and image is concerned).

Actually, it would be far more useful to ask: what American comics have you read and do you own?
Amibite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Here I was operating under the assumption that comics like Love and Rockets, The Frank Book, Alec and Cerebus were quite different than the men-in-tights stories that are DC's and Marvel's bread and butter. But I been persuaded! Thank you for nuanced arguments filled with many examples. You have enlightened me, and hopefully other American comic fans who stumble upon this thread!

Hense why I used the word 'few'. Superheroes aren't the ONLY thing, but they do make up 99% of the market.

Quote:
Uh, do you dismiss something like Jeff Smith's Bone because of ignorance, or because it was "only" serialized for 14 years?

Putting Bone on the same platform on One Piece doesn't work. It's like using Adventure Time to say the US makes adventure cartoons. The scale, quality, and purpose of each is vastly different.

ikillchicken wrote:
aaaand predictably, the first response is exactly the same kind of tired, self serving ignorance that you see spewed by anime/manga fans all too often.

It's not exactly a belief held only by manga fans. The whole world in general dislikes US comics.. that's why manga is so widespread around the globe and American comics are not. They offer what the US cannot.

Quote:

Except everything I said is completely true. Superheroes are the primary force in the market, you can't deny this without presenting some serious market data analysis. You're creating a false positive by trying to prove a similar point with manga that simply isn't true. No one says that about manga from what I've seen, outside people who generally hate cartoons/comics in general and aren't worth dealing with in the first place. Well maybe comic fans say it, I don't talk to them much, but I figure it's just out of jealousy or bitterness at how widespread manga has become in recent times, or it's not 'good old American comics' to begin with. The top manga in Japan is One Piece.. I'm not sure how that's moeblob in the slightest. From what I've seen, most people misuse the word moeblob to describe things they don't like, so when they resort to vague buzzwords with no actual meaning, they don't have much of a point. "Superhero" is a specific and definable genre. "Moeblob" is still being argued over and thrown around with what it actually means and people argue over it all the time. If you want to reword that statement into something more concrete, then feel free and we can continue from there.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Hense why I used the word 'few'. Superheroes aren't the ONLY thing, but they do make up 99% of the market.
Source on that percentage? Obviously superheroes dominate the market in terms of units sold and certainly public image, but it would be useful to compare the titles output of Fantagraphics, Top Shelf, Dark Horse, etc. Shonen and shojo titles obviously dominate in Japan, but the reason why people stay with manga is because of the sheer of amount seinen and josei titles that obviously don't move as many units, but are certainly not short in abundance.

I'll also ask you the same question I asked above: what are some of the titles that you've read?

Quote:
Putting Bone on the same platform on One Piece doesn't work. It's like using Adventure Time to say the US makes adventure cartoons. The scale, quality, and purpose of each is vastly different.
Brandishing "quality" around is really gonna detract from the discussion rather than add to it. Also, Bone can be used as long as you don't limit "popular" to the level of success you'd find with Harry Potter, Twilight, etc.
Amibite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Source on that percentage?

Some quick math just by browsing a listing of what the Top 100 comics each month are on IcV2.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/20795.html

Quote:
Shonen and shojo titles obviously dominate in Japan, but the reason why people stay with manga is because of the sheer of amount seinen and josei titles that obviously don't move as many units, but are certainly not short in abundance.

The thing is saying shounen or shoujo dominates manga isn't like saying superhero does. Shounen and shoujo are demographics, while superhero is a genre. For example, for shounen you have action series like Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. Comedy, like Sket Dance and Gintama. Romance like Midori no Hibi and Ichigo 100%. Drama like Death Note and Bakuman, and so forth. Even among the titles in the same genre, Naruto and One Piece are vastly different from one another (a lighthearted show about pirates with extraordinary abilities in old times having adventures VS a more dark show about ninjas in a war mixed with modern technology and a 'magic' system) Superheroes are general fighting crime in a modern city, with the same conventions as always and no real variety between them other than Punisher and Batman are more brooding while Spider-Man cracks jokes.

Quote:
I'll also ask you the same question I asked above: what are some of the titles that you've read?

If you mean non-superhero, then I browsed through 100 Bullets, Exterminators, Y The Last Man, Fables, and other Vertigo titles back in the day. Weren't really my cup of tea. Also used to read Walking Dead but got disinterested as it went on and after that lame plot twist they pulled.

Quote:
Brandishing "quality" around is really gonna detract from the discussion rather than add to it. Also, Bone can be used as long as you don't limit "popular" to the level of success you'd find with Harry Potter, Twilight, etc.

I was thinking more One Piece and ilk are focused on the high octane action and drama with an epic-scale story, while Bone is more like a Disney movie it's execution. Action is one of the things I like about manga, it's more expanded upon and the powers seem to be used in a lot more creative and interesting ways that I never really saw in comics, which seem to lack the impact action manga does. Along with the way it's drawn and panel lay-out and all that stuff.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Some quick math just by browsing a listing of what the Top 100 comics each month are on IcV2.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/20795.html
Alright, but that doesn't really go against what I suggested earlier: superhero comics are what sells the most, but that doesn't mean they compromise nearly all of the titles produced.

Quote:
The thing is saying shounen or shoujo dominates manga isn't like saying superhero does. Shounen and shoujo are demographics, while superhero is a genre.
Right, but even so superheroes are also largely defined by demographics. Also, despite how shounen does largely present different genres under it (while shoujo is less, with fantasy, drama and comedy? Just something to consider), shounen action series are still the most dominant successes in the market. So the type of superhero series you have may not have as much diversification, but there's still a parallel in terms of market dominance. Or, in less awkwardly worded way: One Piece and Gintama may not be the same, but OP is the type of shounen series--of the action/adventure variety--you'll find most often. Likewise, Spiderman will never be confused with Luther Arkwright, but you obviously see the former more compared to the latter (or even something more mainstream like Watchmen).

Quote:
If you mean non-superhero, then I browsed through 100 Bullets, Exterminators, Y The Last Man, Fables, and other Vertigo titles back in the day. Weren't really my cup of tea. Also used to read Walking Dead but got disinterested as it went on and after that lame plot twist they pulled.
Of all the Western comics I own, only one series I own is from the Vertigo imprint: it's The Sandman, and that was a title that was "retroactively" fitted for it. If you ever have the interest to do so, I would recommend you try out stuff from Fantagraphics, Dark Horse and First Seconds Books, but I don't know what your tastes in manga are. Someone who has a taste for alternative manga found in SigIkki, Fanfare/Ponent Mon, etc. would probably go for stuff by Fantagraphics, Dark Horse, Drawn and Quarterly (all three of whom also publish manga, incidentally!), but I don't know if your interests fall under that.

Quote:
I was thinking more One Piece and ilk are focused on the high octane action and drama with an epic-scale story, while Bone is more like a Disney movie it's execution. Action is one of the things I like about manga, it's more expanded upon and the powers seem to be used in a lot more creative and interesting ways that I never really saw in comics, which seem to lack the impact action manga does. Along with the way it's drawn and panel lay-out and all that stuff.
Bone is actually decompressed in a similar way to manga. It may not be as dramatic as One Piece, but in a way it shares more in common with both indie comics and manga than anything in the American mainstream.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Superheroes are the primary force in the market, you can't deny this without presenting some serious market data analysis.

I don't deny this. I deny that "there's a few non cape books here and there, but they're honestly not all that much better. American comics are very stagnant and stuck in one type of genre and demographic".

There are vastly more than a "few" non superhero comics out there. The fact that you claim this is the case totally invalidates all your later claims about supposed stagnation. If you're only familiar with a few non superhero comics then you simply know next to nothing about American comics.

Quote:
From what I've seen, most people misuse the word moeblob to describe things they don't like, so when they resort to vague buzzwords with no actual meaning, they don't have much of a point. "Superhero" is a specific and definable genre.

Okay. Define it. I hesitate to draw us off topic here since this really has little bearing on the topic at hand but specifically define "Superhero comic".
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Say I wanted to read stuff like Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew.. what would you recommend?

You may want to turn your head towards Europe for that one. W.I.T.C.H has been partly translated to English and if you're into stuff like Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew you'll probably love it.

But yeah, American comics don't have much stuff for girls. Only recent attempt I can think of is MINX and that line was swiftly euthanised.
Amibite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Alright, but that doesn't really go against what I suggested earlier: superhero comics are what sells the most, but that doesn't mean they compromise nearly all of the titles produced.

Well, you have to at least admit that's a hard pill to swallow when they made up the bulk of that list there. It's like, where exactly are they then?

Quote:
Right, but even so superheroes are also largely defined by demographics. Also, despite how shounen does largely present different genres under it (while shoujo is less, with fantasy, drama and comedy? Just something to consider), shounen action series are still the most dominant successes in the market. So the type of superhero series you have may not have as much diversification, but there's still a parallel in terms of market dominance. Or, in less awkwardly worded way: One Piece and Gintama may not be the same, but OP is the type of shounen series--of the action/adventure variety--you'll find most often. Likewise, Spiderman will never be confused with Luther Arkwright, but you obviously see the former more compared to the latter (or even something more mainstream like Watchmen).

I wouldn't really say that's the case, though. True, One Piece is the top dog, but even the Top 10 in Japan alone shows a lot of diversity.

You got Naruto and One Piece, sure, and I guess FMA if you count that in the same group (though all three are vastly different in setting and style), but you also got Kimi ni Todoke (Shoujo slice-of-life/romance), Nodame Cantabile (Shoujo musical-themed drama/romance), Saint Young Men (Seinen comedy with social/religious satire), Shingeki no Kyojin (Shounen post-apocalyptic horror), Yotsuba (Shounen slice-of-life comedy), Bakuman (Shounen drama), and Real (seinen drama on paraplegics)

All very different from one another. You'd definitely see even more diversity if you expand it out to the top 100.

Quote:
Of all the Western comics I own, only one series I own is from the Vertigo imprint: it's The Sandman, and that was a title that was "retroactively" fitted for it. If you ever have the interest to do so, I would recommend you try out stuff from Fantagraphics, Dark Horse and First Seconds Books, but I don't know what your tastes in manga are. Someone who has a taste for alternative manga found in SigIkki, Fanfare/Ponent Mon, etc. would probably go for stuff by Fantagraphics, Dark Horse, Drawn and Quarterly (all three of whom also publish manga, incidentally!), but I don't know if your interests fall under that.[/quote]

I'm more of an anime person honestly, I only read manga if the anime ends long before the manga (Soul Eater, Negima, etc) or it seems really interesting and I see it, though given a lot of anime are based on manga, I suppose you can count the stuff I watch.

ikillchicken wrote:
I don't deny this. I deny that "there's a few non cape books here and there, but they're honestly not all that much better. American comics are very stagnant and stuck in one type of genre and demographic".

There are vastly more than a "few" non superhero comics out there. The fact that you claim this is the case totally invalidates all your later claims about supposed stagnation. If you're only familiar with a few non superhero comics then you simply know next to nothing about American comics.

Again, kind of hard to say that when you have that list there saying otherwise. And something to consider: even if there's a hundred thousand more non superhero books out there. if they're so unpopular and obscure to be on that list (like 100 self-printed copies sold a a convention), then you can't really say they're apart of the actual market, if you think about it.

Quote:
Okay. Define it. I hesitate to draw us off topic here since this really has little bearing on the topic at hand but specifically define "Superhero comic".

It'd be easy to just say Marvel/DC stuff, but other companies make them too (like Spawn and Hellboy or whatever) But in general it's usually comics that tend to take place in modern society (or a gimmicky other time, like when Marvel did those colonial versions of heroes) and deal with people who go around stopping crime in that city and stuff. They usually actually use the word 'superhero' and those other terms in-universe. A lot of times they wear costumes, though some don't if they're more 'street level'. Basically it's just a common writing style and handling of stories, heroes, and villains that you find prevalent in American media (villains tend be handled in a 'rogues gallery' kind of fashion), and not just comics.. a lot of action cartoons are handled that way, like Ben 10 and Danny Phantom. It's a huge cultural preference for America.
MisterEd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Can you actually name some comics about football? Card games? How about spinning tops? Some magical girl? Romance (bonus points for homosexual romance)?

At a certain point you need to ask yourself, "why would I want to read a comic about spinning tops? And for homosexual romance you should read Strangers in Paradise. I guarantee you it has more substance than most Shojo Beat titles.

Quote:
Again, kind of hard to say that when you have that list there saying otherwise. And something to consider: even if there's a hundred thousand more non superhero books out there. if they're so unpopular and obscure to be on that list (like 100 self-printed copies sold a a convention), then you can't really say they're apart of the actual market, if you think about it.

Isn't that the list of top selling monthly comic books though? It'd be much more interesting to see the top selling trade paperbacks. And if even though the market is dominated by superhero titles, doesn't mean all superhero titles are the same. Invincible, Irredeemable, Spawn, and the Astounding Wolf Man, just to name a few, turn the genre on its head. Imagine all the Shonen series that somehow involve improbable fighting tournaments. Does that make them all the same?

And regarding originality, there are some very new and individual concepts floating around the comic book industry. Chew is about a detective who can eat something, i.e. a body, and tell what has happened to it. That's just the gist of the story, it gets a little complicated. Elephantmen, The Walking Dead, The Goon, Hellboy, and Morning Glories are just as original.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
It's like, where exactly are they then?

Well, this seems like common sense to me but if they're not in the top 300 then they're somewhere in the #301+ range. It's a top sellers list. Surely you don't look at the New York Times bestseller list and assume these are the only books that exist. Look, if you want specific non-superhero titles just google Vertigo or check out Image, DarkHorse or a half dozen other small publishers. Those aren't some dude in his basement printing off copies of his indie comic. Those are real professional publishing companies.

Also, some other points about that list:

-In addition to MisterEd's very good point about it being a monthly list it also notes at the top that it's based on sales at comics specialty stores which will probably skew towards weekly superhero comic fans.

-If you scroll down past the top 100 or so there are actually dozens of comics on that very list that are in no way superhero comics.

-Once again, nobody is disputing that superhero comics sell. In no way does that prevent anyone from reading less popular, non-superhero comics.

Amibite wrote:
All very different from one another. You'd definitely see even more diversity if you expand it out to the top 100.

Look, I don't really think anyone even much disagrees with this. You're probably right. Manga is more diverse overall. This is primarily due to the manga industry also catering heavily to girls, something western comics don't really do very often. What I object to is this silly idea that because western comics aren't as diverse they must therefore be very stagnant and trapped almost entirely in the superhero genre. This leap in reasoning is completely unjustified.

Amibite wrote:
It'd be easy to just say Marvel/DC stuff, but other companies make them too (like Spawn and Hellboy or whatever) But in general it's usually comics that tend to take place in modern society (or a gimmicky other time, like when Marvel did those colonial versions of heroes) and deal with people who go around stopping crime in that city and stuff. They usually actually use the word 'superhero' and those other terms in-universe. A lot of times they wear costumes, though some don't if they're more 'street level'. Basically it's just a common writing style and handling of stories, heroes, and villains that you find prevalent in American media (villains tend be handled in a 'rogues gallery' kind of fashion), and not just comics.. a lot of action cartoons are handled that way, like Ben 10 and Danny Phantom. It's a huge cultural preference for America.

So it's comics (except when it's not) published by marvel/DC (except when they aren't) that take place in modern society (except when they don't) and that use the term superhero (except when they don't) and have characters wearing costumes (except when they don't) and rogue style villains (except when it doesn't).

So...the only actual definite criteria you put forth is...they deal with people who go around stopping crime in the city and stuff.

Wow. Superheros really are huge in America. Or do those not meet your 'specific and definable' criteria of "and stuff". Rolling Eyes

See, this is exactly my point. You complain about me for using terms that don't have a clear and agreed upon definition and yet you'll happily dismiss virtually all western comics by tossing them under this absurdly broad and undefinable term "superhero comics". I mean come on. You're writing off Hellboy as a superhero comic? That's like me writing off FMA as a "shounen comic".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7