• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordofNoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I don't think that's the point of that quote. Lewis Carol was talking about how critics treat children's stories as inherently inferior to "adult" ones. It's a mindset that is still rather unfortunately common today. Consider G-rated movies. Adults tend to avoid them unless forced to go with their children, because the content is expected to be banal, insignificant, and unworthy of their time. And a lot of it is because many movie makers who target films at young children share the belief that children's entertainment isn't as good as entertainment for people over the age of 18.

Which, profit wise, makes no sense. What is on of the greatest aspirations of those under the age of 18? Having just escaped that fiery Hell not too long ago, the idea is still fresh: to be 18, or rather, be treated as an adult, an intelligent, rational, emotional, sentient, sapient, living thing, and be acknowledged for your maturity. When I see children treated like babies, teenagers treated like children, for no other reason than their age, it disgusts me. More than the idea of French cheese, and that's saying something.

Wait, what was my point here again? Oh yeah, profit. If movie producers, let's say, upped the maturity of their G-rated films (not necessarily graphic content, mind you, although as a child I was exposed to quite a lot of it, and the only thing I have to show for it is this harmless eye twitch), then those watching them, almost explicitly children, will not just get a sense of whatever plot but a sense of awe (for not being exposed to mature content before, at least not publicly) and respect for and from the movie makers, for finally treating them seriously. I wonder how wildly that kind of movie would sell? I'm sure parents would be in an uproar over a G-rated movie dealing with aspects such as death, depression, and loss, but they'd miss the intended effects, like a greater appreciation of life, amplified gratitude for one's own well-being, and cherishing what you have. Exposing these truths to a "child" through popular media would better prepare them for the world than say, having to experience those things without any type of preparation. That kind of trauma destroys childhoods.

And "adults" need to loosen up. Not all G-rated movies are bad. Watching such movies with my little cousin, they're quite often some of the more entertaining movies I've seen. And let's not forget Ponyo, either.

theloniustrebonius wrote:
Well, I was talking about shaggyglasses, but why not? I'm sure I can find room for a "LordofNoe" file in my file cabinet o' blackmailing. Blood type? Twisted Evil

I know you were, I just thought it'd be a nice substitute. *ahem* My full legal name is Ronney Dale Fox III, and no, it's not "Ronald", it's Ronney. My blood type is A positive. And I do believe that is all the information I am willing to give out. Have a good day, you stalkers out there.
blacotaku1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
Name: Ryan Jones

Sex: Male

Location: Columbia/Lexington, SC (originally from the DC metro born and raised)

Ethnicity: Black American

Religion: Catholic

Pets: None

Drink/Smoke: Drink yes, Smoke no

Likes: Cooking, Computers, Women, sun rises, open minded individuals, ANN

Dislikes: peanut butter, close minded individuals

Favorite anime: All time would be macross, but favorite anime in general would be anything from the 80's to mid to late 90's. Especially anything from AIC, Movic, Madhouse, ect....

Favorite Manga: I would honestly have to say Naruto. A very different spin on ninja...

Favorite Books: anything from Dean Koontz

Favorite game: Too many to name here...

Favorite TV shows/Movies: I have to many of those here too.

Favorite Drink: I love Cognac's and Brandy's. E&J XO on ice is my after work drink

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Coke, Ginger ale and water

Favorite Foods:Burgers, Cheese steaks, veggies, Eggs, Ramen

Favorite Sites: ANN

Favorite Sport (to watch): American Football (GO SKINS!!), Basketball (Washington Wizards)

Favorite Sport (to play): Dont play sports really, I just hit the gym.

Favorite Music: HOUSE MUSIC (deep, funky), R&B slow jams, Funk, very little Rap, Anime.

Job: PC technician for a large bank

Hobbies: DJ'ing, photoshop, cooking

Wanna know more just ask....

Last edited by blacotaku1 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
astrogirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hi! I'm new at this and also in the city I'm living now, San Francisco. I was trying to find people who likes Japanese culture here!javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

Name: Astrogirl

Sex: Female

Blood Type: O Postive

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: 100% Spanish (from Spain, Europe)

Religion: I guess, Catholic, non practicant

Pets: None

Drink/Smoke: Nope

Dislikes: CardCaptor Sakura's movies Spanish voices

Favorite anime: Evangelion, Kenshin, Strawberry Panic, Planetes, Miyazaki...

Favorite Manga (Light novels): Kenshin and Paradise Kiss

Favorite Books: Tokyo Blues, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Catcher in the Rye, Wizard of Of.

Favorite game: The Legend of Zelda for N64 and Trivial Pursuit

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Buffy, Gilmore Girls, True Blood, Dexter. Amelie, Napoleon Dynamite, Lost in Translation, The Fifth Element, Ghost World.

Favorite Drink: In case I ever drink, Bacardi Breezer Watermelon or Orange

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Jamba Juice's Peanut Butter Moo

Favorite Foods: Chinese, Japanese and Spanish.Love salmon and tuna sashimi. And Ice cream, Ben&Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie!

Favorite Sport (to watch): Olympic Games or soccer.

Favorite Sport (to play): I used to be in my school basketball team years ago.

Favorite Music: I listen to a little bit of everything, but I do listen to a lot of emo, screamo, good ole rock, and I do love Techno remixes....has a love for Ace of Base also, along with bad music from the 80s. The Killers, The Postal Service, Bloc Party, Cat Power, Linkin Park, No Doubt, Gossip, Uh Huh Her...

Job: Graduated Student in Advertising.

Hobbies: My Vespa (which I left in Spain), comics (of any kind), movies, books, photography, drawing, painting, traveling...

Favorite Quotes: 'The Earth Has Music For Those Who Listen' and also 'Free Your Mind and your Maker Will Follow You'

Very Happy
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Why's everyone so ashamed of their real names?
Though, I can't understand how you feel, since my name is the sexiest out there.

Either way, welcome, you two. But I must reveal, I stopped reading your intro after reading your name.
larinon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
astrogirl wrote:
...has a love for Ace of Base also, along with bad music from the 80s.

Redundant?

Kidding! Sorry, just had to say it. Razz

I know Ace of Base is from the 90s. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
blacotaku1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Why's everyone so ashamed of their real names?
Though, I can't understand how you feel, since my name is the sexiest out there.

Either way, welcome, you two. But I must reveal, I stopped reading your intro after reading your name.

sorry about that, My name is Ryan Jones
Mayuhito

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
Name: Maria (Mayumi, or Mayu)

Sex: Female

Blood Type: AB Positive

Ethnicity: 50 % Mexican and 50% Black

Religion: Christian

Pets: 3 small dogs, and 1 old cat

Drink/Smoke: Occasionally

Dislikes: Pain, dubbed anime

Favorite anime: 07 Ghost, Angel Heart, Hell Girl and Death Note

Favorite Manga (Light novels): 07 Ghost, Inuyasha, and MAR

Favorite Books: Dark Series, and other random forgotten names books

Favorite game: Go For Broke, Clue, and Monopoly (All Board Games)

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Forensic Files, History shows, Science Shows, and South Park

Favorite Drink: Smirnoff….ummm

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Milk and Iced Tea

Favorite Foods: Sushi, Crab, Mushrooms, Fish, Mexican, Mongolian Bar-b-que, Stew, and pizza.

Favorite Sport (to watch): NASCAR, and Ice Skating

Favorite Sport (to play): Non competitive Basket Ball

Favorite Music: Country, Alternative Rock, Rock, J-pop, J-rock, and Techno are my favorite. But I listen to plenty more.

Job: Unemployed

Hobbies: Watching anime, reading manga, typing, making money on the internet, and going on auctioning sites.

Favorite Quotes: “Could have, Should have, Would have, but you didn’t so don’t whine about it.”
LordofNoe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
Welcome, new ones. Being rather fresh myself, it is probably inappropriate for me to say that, but oh well, I can be chastised later. Anyway, I'll give you the same advice someone told me a while ago. Stick with the top seven or so discussions starting out (the Anime Quote/Character Guessing Games are a must for the real otaku), and you'll have a blast. Enjoy.
Stinkles
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
I'm Frank O'Connor, from 343 Industries at Microsoft - and I'm working on the Halo Legends anime anthology. I will happily answer questions about it from time to time, unless mods object to that, in which case I will stick to lurking and reading about my favorite anime which include:

Grave of the Fireflies
Sword of the Stranger
Hokuto No Ken
Tekkon Kinkreet
Ghost in the Shell
Space Battleship Yamato
All Miyazaki (cept US dub of Mononoke)

etc, etc
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
Stinkles wrote:
I'm Frank O'Connor, from 343 Industries at Microsoft - and I'm working on the Halo Legends anime anthology. I will happily answer questions about it from time to time, unless mods object to that, in which case I will stick to lurking and reading about my favorite anime which include:

We're thrilled to have you here! You are hereby exempt from all mod harassment. Smile
Stinkles
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Stinkles wrote:

We're thrilled to have you here! You are hereby exempt from all mod harassment. Smile

Sweet! Now to troll the US version of Mononoke!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Stinkles wrote:

But not exempt from user harassment Wink ...You didn't provide any other detailed introductory info.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Stinkles wrote:
I'm Frank O'Connor, from 343 Industries at Microsoft - and I'm working on the Halo Legends anime anthology. I will happily answer questions about it from time to time, unless mods object to that

Maybe a thread for that? If allowed by the mods.
Answering the same questions over and over would take much longer than having a thread with the answers open to possible questioners.

Or did I get anything wrong here?
Stinkles
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
Bam:

Name:Frank

Sex: Male

Blood Type: Universal Donor, whatever that is.

Marital Status: Married

Ethnicity: Born and raised in Scotland, moved here 15+ years ago.

Religion: NA

Pets: Biggest cat in the world

Drink/Smoke: NA

Dislikes: Celery

Favorite anime: Fist of the Northstar, Spirited Away, Space Battleship Yamato, Tekkon Kinkreet, lots more

Favorite Manga FOTNS

Favorite Books: Anything by Iain Banks, most sci-fi, stupid Game of Thrones series, Sedaris, Chomsky, liberal thinkers.

Favorite game: Uncharted, Halo, COD, Ridge Racer, Moon Patrol, Katamari Damacy

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Dexter, Rome, america's Next Top Model

Favorite Drink:Margarita (top shelf, good mix)

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Coke Zero

Favorite Foods: Nakamoto Ramen, near the Shinjuku West Entrance. , and pizza.

Favorite Sport (to watch): Football (Seahawks) and Soccer (Euro/World)
Favorite Sport (to play): Mountain Biking, Softball, Soccer

Favorite Music: Too random to list. On player now: Zeppelin, Muse, Danielle Dax.

Job: Corporate Shill/Anime Director/Writer

Hobbies: Trolling forums, converting haters.

Favorite Quotes: "Don't eat stuff off the sidewalk."
darkprism

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
Name:Prisma Dominatus Cry

Genderx: Male

Blood Type: O

Current Location: Thailand - put 13.802189,100.317412 in google map and you get right over my head

Ethnicity: Asian (Hey, don't ask about my name)

Religion: Buddhism

Pets: 8 dogs, 2 cats, 1 bird, countless fish

Drink/Smoke: No chance

Dislikes: Fatty tissues, yes that jelly like stuff on meat. Dai Kirai!

Favorite anime: Clannad & Clannad after story,Fate stay night,etc.

Favorite Manga: Berserk

Favorite Books: Horus heresy

Favorite game: Totalwar series:Empire, Bethesta works:Fallout 3

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Gang Cartoon (Anime channel in Thailand), Arirang (Korean),

Favorite Drink: No Alcohol

Non-Alcoholic Drink: Pepsi/Iced Green tea

Favorite Foods: Steak/Pizza/KFC/Somtam (thai spicy salad)/Todman (deep fried grinded fish)

Favorite Sport (to watch): Boxing / Gymnastic / Weight lifting

Favorite Sport (to play): Weight lifting

Favorite Music: Anime genre

Job: IT researcher, part time border defense auxiliary force (warrant)

Hobbies: PC games, Watch anime, check up tools of the trade.

Favorite Quotes: "Cowards die in shame"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 81 of 233