• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

Yeah, it's all good. Smile I know what you mean by "blind faith" though. I don't think one could say that our religion really follows that idea though, because the whole point of it is to come to know it for yourself and not because of what anyone else says or anything. That's the only way you can be truly faithful. In fact, that's the whole point of free agency; so we can find it for ourselves. Not to sound like I'm preaching to you or anything, I just thought I'd clear that up a bit, although I'm sure you know all about it already if you've already investigated it and all. Anime smile + sweatdrop Whatever the case though, I wish you luck in your search for your system of belief. Smile

Thanks for the good wishes. When I speak of "blind faith," that primarily pertains to the idea of any kind of sentient "God" rather than to any specific docterine. I do agree with you about those aspects of LDS.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
Thanks for the good wishes. When I speak of "blind faith," that primarily pertains to the idea of any kind of sentient "God" rather than to any specific docterine. I do agree with you about those aspects of LDS.

Ah okay, I get what you're saying then, sorry for the misunderstanding. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Kind of interesting that you bring up Buddhism though. Both me and my dad have said in the past that "if it wasn't for the restored gospel, we'd be Buddhists!" Laughing But yeah, it just makes a lot of sense to us both, a lot more than pretty much any religion, other than our current one that is. Wink Although I'm also pretty partial to Shinto as well. I just like the whole laid back, optimistic, all accepting ways of it.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I like how well a sensitive subject like Religion was handled so well just now. Most of my friends are Christian, but I'm also friends with a pegan or two. And I also have some friends that aren't Christian, but believe in the Christian god.

This book that you read sounds interesting to me, Ishmoo. I should seek it out.
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:

Favorite Books: Machiavelli’s “The Prince,” Jung’s “Memories, Dreams, Reflections,” The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius, Wuthering Heights, The Secret Garden, Where the Wild Things Are, anything by Thich Nhat Hanh, Ann Rice, Laurell K.Hamilton, or classic sci-fi authors like Heinlein, Clarke, Bradbury and Huxley.

Wow - I can't believe someone has The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius as one of her favourite readings! People often start reading philosophy by reading Nietzche but rarely do they ever take a glimpse at Medieval Philosophy - much less a not so famous medieval philosopher like Boethius (I guess compared to Aquinas or Augustine). Very Happy I just think it's awesome....
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
GhstDreamer wrote:
Ishmoo wrote:

Favorite Books: Machiavelli’s “The Prince,” Jung’s “Memories, Dreams, Reflections,” The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius, Wuthering Heights, The Secret Garden, Where the Wild Things Are, anything by Thich Nhat Hanh, Ann Rice, Laurell K.Hamilton, or classic sci-fi authors like Heinlein, Clarke, Bradbury and Huxley.

Wow - I can't believe someone has The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius as one of her favourite readings! People often start reading philosophy by reading Nietzche but rarely do they ever take a glimpse at Medieval Philosophy - much less a not so famous medieval philosopher like Boethius (I guess compared to Aquinas or Augustine). Very Happy I just think it's awesome....

Hey, thanks! My degrees are in English and Poli-Sci so I stumbled upon reams of various books through my classes. Poor Boethius had it so very very rough and somehow still managed to enlighten poor slobs like me 1400 years later. I remember reading "Consolation" and thinking that my life suddenly looked just fine. I was compelled to stop whining altogether for several months. It's rare for me to run across someone else who’s even heard of him these days.

Wow, I looked up your intro and you obviously know WAY more about philoshophy than I do. My exposure tended to be incidental rather than intentional. I have a good friend who has a PHD in Philosophy. He's more the typical absent minded professor type, teaching just enough to keep a roof over his head and that's as far as it goes. He always jokes that we're both highly qualified to wait tables.
88bluemelon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
Name: Can you just call me melon??

Sex:
female

Blood Type: B

Marital Status
: Single

Ethnicity: Filipino( I dunoo how many halves) 1/8 Chinese

Religion:
Catholic

Pets:
One cat, Four dogs

Drink/Smoke: What do you think??(I don't)

Likes: Posting, Desserts, Vocaloid, Anime, Drawing, Slice of Life anime, Music..Jpop.

Dislikes
:Insects(bleh. Especially the ones who crawl up your leg while you take a bath), being bored..

Favorite anime:
Lucky Star, Sketchbook~full colorS~, Aria series,Kure-nai, Nabari no ou, Hidamari Sketch, Minami-ke/~Okawari..

Favorite Manga (Light novels):
(I don't read much...I don't like reading on the net. Go buy it!!)Genshiken, Kure-nai, Ouran, Psycho Busters, Nabari no ou...

Favorite Books:
'm not a book person)

Favorite game: Legend of Mana, DDR, Harvest Moon..

Favorite TV shows/Movies:Hmm...Rat Race???

Favorite Drink: Juice(any), ice milk

Non-Alcoholic Drink:
This is different to the one above??

Favorite Foods:
Desserts and snacks, mochi^^..., (I dunno what else)

Favorite Sites: Niconico Douga, Crunchyroll, (hmm~)

Favorite Sport (to watch):(None) you have to play it yourselfXD

Favorite Sport (to play):Soccer, Badminton, Volley ball

Favorite Music: Vocaloid..(Is that even music?? bleh), Jpop(I'd listen to american pop if there was! All I hear are dance songs and whatever), Background music or Classical music..

Job:Student of course(is that a job??)

Hobbies: Photography, Drawing, anything art related, Watching, experimenting with things, (what else..)

Fun facts about melon:
-I'm bored
-I think of the future too much
-I'm bad with gadgets(gets damaged too much)
-I'm new here..did you know that??
-I get bored of forums easily...Uh oh
-I have a better habit now^^

Favorite Quote/s:from Sayonara Zetsubou sensei=Kanousei arimasu!"
-Kafuka Fuura
Translate=The possibility exists!
unfurling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Name: eileen

Blood Type: ab, i think

Sex: female

Nationality/Ethniticty: not totally sure. i'm white, but there's adoption in my family tree

Marital Status: living with my boyfriend of almost 4 years

Profession: ABA therapist... meaning applied behavior analysist therapist... meaning i'm a teacher at a school for autistic children Smile

Religion: christian

Drink/Smoke: not really, allergic to smoke

Likes: playing video games (especially rock band - i'll take you all on!), buying new gadgets, sleeping in on saturdays, giving my things away, reading on my kindle, drawing, going to the aquarium, counting my money like uncle scrooge

Dislikes: not being told the whole truth, going to work early, dusting, rap music, being ignored, cats, being cold

Favorite anime: x, kino's journey, boogiepop phantom, kaleido star

Favorite manga: don't really read manga, probably will when it's available on kindle

Favorite game: fire emblem, xenosaga (anyone else beat all 3?), shadow of the colossus

Favorite book/authors: just finished a ken foliett, but also mark haddon, bill bryson, douglas preston and lincoln child

Favorite food: lately it's been sticky white rice, but that changes. before that it was ruffled potato chips

Favorite drink: shirley temple

Family: mom, dad, a brother and a sister

Favorite sport: i guess you could say tennis, as that's the only sport i really play. i like watching ice skating, though

Favorite Music: utada hikaru, boa, ayumi hamasaki, but also josh groban, casey stratton. absolute favorite is darren hayes, though.

Favorite Quote:
the world is not beautiful; therefore, it is (kino's journey)

Fun (and true) facts:
-won the smokey the bear poster contest when i was in kindergarten and got to shake smokey's hand (that was terrifying!)
-have never done a drug
-am going to graduate school to become a BCBA
-love the smell of baking cake more than anything
-can touch my elbows together behind my back
-own the craziest shoes you've ever seen

etc Smile
Maclam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Name: Mac is fine ( my whole name will take 2 whole pages)

Sex: Male

Blood Type: abcdefg take your pick

Marital Status: single

Ethnicity: Nguyen.... enough said!

Religion: I'm suppose to be buddhist.... but really I dont believe in any gods... just trying to be as OK as possible.

Pets: Had a male Rottwiller for 14 years

Drink/Smoke: I hate smoking... and dont smoke at all

Dislikes: Cars and hypocrites

Favorite anime: Lodoss war ova, samurai X, Air TV

Favorite Books: not really into books

Favorite Movies: Terminator 2, Patch Adams, the first 3 star wars

Favorite Drink: hmmm Pina colada once in a while

Non-Alcoholic Drink: juice.... pretty much any kind

Favorite Foods: sushi and tonkenese soup

Favorite Sport (to watch): Tennis and Hockey

Favorite Sport (to play): Badminton and roller-blading

Favorite Music: Anime and American soundtrack, new age and foreign musics

Hobbies: Anime, sports and musics

Other facts: sry not post it here Smile
daedelus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
unfurling wrote:
xenosaga (anyone else beat all 3?)

Well, I'm working on it. I've finished Xenogears and Xenosaga 1 & 2. I've played about 1/3 of Xeno 3, but stopped. When the creators went from 7 planned games to 5 and then finally 3, I didn't want to finish it so fast. My mentality is that it's not over until I finish it. Smile
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quote
unfurling wrote:

I have and there are so many things (both good and bad) I can say about them it's not even funny...

still prefer "Xenogears" though
Brendan Behan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
GhstDreamer wrote:
Ishmoo wrote:

I know I'm not the only one here who's thinking of A Confederacy of Dunces... right?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
unfurling wrote:

I have and there are so many things (both good and bad) I can say about them it's not even funny...

Same here actually. Although I'm not one who should be talking since I only played the first little bit of the first Xenosaga, but I felt like that was enough for me to decide which one I prefered more. It's also based on what others have said as well, which yeah, still isn't a good thing. Anime smile + sweatdrop But at the same time, not too sure how one could possibly outdo Xenogears though, that game was just too darn good.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Brendan Behan wrote:
GhstDreamer wrote:
Ishmoo wrote:

I know I'm not the only one here who's thinking of A Confederacy of Dunces... right?

Somehow I doubt that Ignatius would have been an anime fan. Could be wrong though...
unfurling

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
unfurling wrote:

Same here actually. Although I'm not one who should be talking since I only played the first little bit of the first Xenosaga, but I felt like that was enough for me to decide which one I prefered more. It's also based on what others have said as well, which yeah, still isn't a good thing. Anime smile + sweatdrop But at the same time, not too sure how one could possibly outdo Xenogears though, that game was just too darn good.

i never played all the way through xenogears... my brother stole my copy when i moved out Sad but it's ok, i heard the whole storyline from a friend who played through it all, and it sounds like they all tied together pretty nicely.
Brendan Behan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:

Somehow I doubt that Ignatius would have been an anime fan. Could be wrong though...

While it's likely anime would not have met his standards of proper theology and geometry (and if he did watch any, it would definitely be the most obscene sort of tentacle hentai, all so he could properly record these offenses against taste and deceny), we've got to observe his behavior:

- spending almost all of his time in his room, on such useful activities like his masturbation technique(s)
- being put through years of school all to live in his mother's house, off her money, and in general having an adverse reaction to any sort of work
- wearing multiple layers of unfashionable and even alarming clothes year round
- following a strict diet regime of pastries, Dr. Nut and hot dogs
- having no luck whatsoever with the opposite sex

You tell me... sounds suspect in my opinion though!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 52 of 233