• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who's hyped up about Hikki's English cd?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:44 am Reply with quote
Well, this thread IS for Japanese related music, and well, I'm just wondering out there how many people can't wait for Hikaru Utada's english cd that's to be released this spring by Island Records. In case you're Hikki fandom has been under a rock, Hikaru Utada is going to release and ENGLISH cd via Island Records. It's said that she's getting the special VIP treatment, and that Island Records hasn't spent so much money and gone out of their way this much since the debut of Mariah Carey.

I really can't wait. I'm hoping for English versions of some of her Japanese songs, and some new material. I won't be surprised though if Simple and Clean, and Blow My Whistle, two of Utada's previously released in the US songs, make it on the cd as well.

Anyway, just wondering if we can start a discussion on one of the most popular Asian singers of all time.
Yuki555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Really? I absolutely did not know about this. I really like the Simple and Clean song, I like the Japanese version more though. I should thank Disney for allowing me to know Hikaru. The only reason that I know of her is because I heard the song on the Kingdom Hearts commercial.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I got a lot of friends intrested in her around the time Kingdom Hearts came out here in America.

Me: You know, Hikaru Utada...
Friends: Who?
Me: She does the Kingdom Hearts song. The one on the commercials.
Friends: Oh that song! I LOVE THAT SONG!

Took me a while to get them into her. They weren't into the idea of listening to music in another language, but luckily Hikaru has done several songs in English, and I got them through those.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:09 am Reply with quote
Are they going to keep her name? I remember years ago, like when she was on MTV, there was talk of using an alias. Heard anything of this?
rektagunn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:33 am Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
Are they going to keep her name? I remember years ago, like when she was on MTV, there was talk of using an alias. Heard anything of this?

she was on MTV?? when?when?.....was it part of their "unsigned hype" segment?

Jpop rules, and any move to bring it to the U.S. is aight with me......Hikki's a good first [major label] step, let's hope there's more to come......
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
She'll be known as 'Utada' in the US.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:52 am Reply with quote
why not hikki? :[

i've heard a lot of people say they hated the english kingdom hearts song. but they might put it on there, who knows. i think she sounds better when she sings in japanese but, a fan's a fan!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:50 am Reply with quote
From what I remember whe was even on MTV unplugged. (That means there is an MTV UNPLUGGED dvd for it!!). It was I don't know...4-5 years ago maybe. I will see if I can find a link for the dvd.

Edit: http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx?pid=1001818756§ion=karaoke&code=j&

My bad, I think it is MTV Japan. Close enough right!
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
She was on MTV Unplugged, they just never showed it in the US. Same as Ken Hirai, Chage & Aska and several other Japanese bands.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
why not hikki? :[

i've heard a lot of people say they hated the english kingdom hearts song. but they might put it on there, who knows. i think she sounds better when she sings in japanese but, a fan's a fan!

I dunno, she sounds better than most people who sing in both languages, including Maaya Sakamoto and Megumi Hayashibara...

But I'm glad she's got a record deal for U.S. release. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I dunno, she sounds better than most people who sing in both languages, including Maaya Sakamoto and Megumi Hayashibara...

That's because she grew up in New York, she has a perfect American accent. The same goes for Crystal Kay, she's the daughter of a US Serviceman
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:20 pm Reply with quote
She was originally going to go as Hikaru Utada here, where as she goes by Utada Hikaru in Japan, but I dunno what happened really. The project by island records was originally called the H-Utada project, but I guess for buisness reasons they'll stick to just plain Utada.

Hikki was at the Martix Revolutions premire, but I don't think anyone there knew who she was.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:

That's because she grew up in New York, she has a perfect American accent. The same goes for Crystal Kay, she's the daughter of a US Serviceman

i think it'd be funny if she had the stereotypical NY accent. Anime smile i think i should hang out near columbia u. to try and meet her :p

i was wondering about crystal kay...the only artists i've heard in english are hikki and hyde. do ya'll know of any artists who've covered english songs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:35 am Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
i was wondering about crystal kay...the only artists i've heard in english are hikki and hyde. do ya'll know of any artists who've covered english songs?

Mayaa Sakamoto. She sings in english just as well as Hikki, at least from what I can tell. Course the only songs in english I've heard from her were from Escaflowne and Wolf's Rain songs. Dunno if she has more.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hikki was at the Martix Revolutions premire, but I don't think anyone there knew who she was.

Yoshiki was at Pirates of the Carribean. Lots of J-Music people go to Hollywood premieres, you just don't usually hear about it. I think the only reason why Yoshiki made it into the pictures was because he was with Virginia Madsen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2