• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Baltimore Group Pegs Otakon's Impact at US$21 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Heretic wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
looks like anime fans have alot of money.

Well when you save up all year just to drop a lot of dough on one event that's what happens. Although I am not sure if anime fans are rich, I think that most of fans aren't "rich" there probably like every other joe schomo out there.

Yep, that's pretty much what I do. The other two cons I go to (AnimeUSA and Katsucon), I don't spend nearly as much money as I do at Otakon.

I second this comment.

Also im glad they did a positive news story. I always knew that Conventions did pump money into whatever city it's held. Baltimore wouldn't want to lose any of it to Washington.

Heck If i worked at a locl restuarant i'd put my leave in as soon as the dates were announced. I would hate to deal with that many people.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
There actually was no attendance cap this year.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
There actually was no attendance cap this year.

No need for one. With AX and Comic Con so close before and after I'm sure they knew they were going to lose some attendance this year over the past year or two. Next year though I suspect being after all the other big cons they should have more people attending.

In terms of the money being spent in B-more, you gotta also factor that everything there is over priced. The problem is so many con goers are from out of town that they don't know where else to go. Then again all major cities are expensive. Plus Baltimore is also one of the biggest tourist spots in the US now, no joke. The BCC is right in the inner harbor so con goers can also go to the Aquarium, Hard Rock Cafe, Clubs, and take a drive to the Zoo. So there's a fair amount to do before and after the con while you're there. One other thing to do is get mugged and shot which happens quite often too. Rolling Eyes
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
In terms of the money being spent in B-more, you gotta also factor that everything there is over priced. The problem is so many con goers are from out of town that they don't know where else to go.

Compared to other major cities, I think that Baltimore is pretty cheap. Try getting a full (non-Burger King/McDonalds) meal in DC or New York for less than $6. Good luck. The only thing I think is overpriced is the Aquarium.

Quote:
One other thing to do is get mugged and shot which happens quite often too. Rolling Eyes

Yep, very often near the BCC. I have some camera footage of these incidents myself. Rolling Eyes
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
kuni_kuni wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
In terms of the money being spent in B-more, you gotta also factor that everything there is over priced. The problem is so many con goers are from out of town that they don't know where else to go.

Compared to other major cities, I think that Baltimore is pretty cheap. Try getting a full (non-Burger King/McDonalds) meal in DC or New York for less than $6. Good luck. The only thing I think is overpriced is the Aquarium.

Quote:
One other thing to do is get mugged and shot which happens quite often too. Rolling Eyes

Yep, very often near the BCC. I have some camera footage of these incidents myself. Rolling Eyes

Obviously larger metropolitan cities, such as NYC, LA, Houston etc., will have higher price tags. Yes, the area surrounding the BCC is not a nice area despite the tourist attractions. There are worse by far but it's still not even near being a decent part of town let alone a good part. I always urge friend to never walk alone but in big groups. Even many of the homeless people will get in your face there.
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Yes, the area surrounding the BCC is not a nice area despite the tourist attractions. There are worse by far but it's still not even near being a decent part of town let alone a good part. I always urge friend to never walk alone but in big groups. Even many of the homeless people will get in your face there.

Yes, the area surrounding isn't very good (and when I say area, I don't even mean the immediate area...I'd say about a 5 mile radius out). But luckily enough for con-goers, they have no reason to venture into those areas. Those areas are largely residential, so I'm not sure why anyone would want to go there, anyway. And before anyone says anything about con-goers "getting lost," there's a clear division between the business/tourist district of Baltimore City and everywhere else. As for never walking alone, that's a common sense action that should be practiced basically everywhere.

As for the homeless, in my experience, most homeless people do not accost people. Homeless =/= dangerous. And if it they do, it's not a situation that's exclusive to Baltimore. It happens in DC, Philly, New York, Boston, etc. It's certainly not enough to consider an area "dangerous." If you're that afraid of homeless people, then perhaps you should avoid big city conventions.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Also im glad they did a positive news story. I always knew that Conventions did pump money into whatever city it's held. Baltimore wouldn't want to lose any of it to Washington.

WJZ's pretty positive about everything. Well, everything except for the bi-weekly shootings that happen in Baltimore.

kuni_kuni wrote:

Most of the restaraunts around the inner harbor are kind of over-priced, but if you know where to look, there are some restraunts with really good food at a really good price. And the aquarium is kind of expensive, but if you ask me it's one of the best in the country. I always try and go see the fishies before I pick up my badge the day before the con. 8]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of the restaurants around the inner harbor are kind of over-priced, but if you know where to look, there are some restaurants with really good food at a really good price.

A five-minute walk up Pratt street, straight out the door from the Convention Center, will take folks to the Harbor Place/Gallery (large green glass mall connected to harbor shops by skywalk). Completely safe and scenic walk, one of my office branches is on nearby Light street, I hop off the Light Rail at the CC and make the trip at least once a week.

A ton of places, with some pretty affordable fair. Note, it's not for folks seeking more upscale fair, but it has a lot for hungry con goers/area visitors in a centralized area.

http://www.harborplace.com/html/mallattractions.asp
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
kuni_kuni wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
Yes, the area surrounding the BCC is not a nice area despite the tourist attractions. There are worse by far but it's still not even near being a decent part of town let alone a good part. I always urge friend to never walk alone but in big groups. Even many of the homeless people will get in your face there.

Yes, the area surrounding isn't very good (and when I say area, I don't even mean the immediate area...I'd say about a 5 mile radius out). But luckily enough for con-goers, they have no reason to venture into those areas. Those areas are largely residential, so I'm not sure why anyone would want to go there, anyway. And before anyone says anything about con-goers "getting lost," there's a clear division between the business/tourist district of Baltimore City and everywhere else. As for never walking alone, that's a common sense action that should be practiced basically everywhere.

As for the homeless, in my experience, most homeless people do not accost people. Homeless =/= dangerous. And if it they do, it's not a situation that's exclusive to Baltimore. It happens in DC, Philly, New York, Boston, etc. It's certainly not enough to consider an area "dangerous." If you're that afraid of homeless people, then perhaps you should avoid big city conventions.

Yea there is a clear division but with traffic patterns and road work so screwy you c`an easily find yourself winding up in an even worse area real quick. Of course that's in a vehicle, if you're walking most of the hotels are with in a 2-5 block radius of the BCC so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

As for the homeless, you'd be surprised how often people do get accosted by them. Obviously this is something any big city has and not just Baltimore. Some people also simply aren't sure how to act around homeless people so a situation like that would make them uneasy.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
kuni_kuni wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:

Yea there is a clear division but with traffic patterns and road work so screwy you c`an easily find yourself winding up in an even worse area real quick. Of course that's in a vehicle, if you're walking most of the hotels are with in a 2-5 block radius of the BCC so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

As for the homeless, you'd be surprised how often people do get accosted by them. Obviously this is something any big city has and not just Baltimore. Some people also simply aren't sure how to act around homeless people so a situation like that would make them uneasy.

my answer is the same i said here

Plus you don't really need to act a way around homeless people. Just give change or ignore. But do NOT approach at night. Maybe the reason I don't see much bad things in B-more is because im used to harsher places. I guess judgement is based on where you were raised and from and its comparison.
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Heck If i worked at a locl restuarant i'd put my leave in as soon as the dates were announced. I would hate to deal with that many people.

Haha well I don't think they would let you :p

I worked in retail for 3 years at a grocery store, and they denied any time off requests during heavy shopping seasons (i.e. food holidays). It's their busiest time of year when they can make the most money.

I also wonder how it is in Baltimore compared to San Diego, I mean I lived in San Diego for 22 years and attended I'd say 3-4 ComicCons. Obviously CC draws 4-5x the attendance, but it had a huge impact on the local area. Now that I live in New York, I plan on attending the Anime Festival in December. I'm curious as to how a smaller event stands up to the CC monstrosity. However, despite its size, CC always seemed very well run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2