• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: When They Cry DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Wow, that was pretty intense. I'm loving the show, but the second arc, while pretty scary, confused me. I was really sure what was going on in the last episode hardly at all. A little to much name dropping... Could someone clear it up a bit? Anime smile;

spoiler[How was the blonde chick still walking if she was dead. Who stabbed Keiichi at the end? What the hell happened? I'm going to wait to watch the last episodes on the disc until the third one comes out so I can finish the next arc, but I peaked ahead at the murder scene at the beginning of the next episode. It seemed a whole lot more suited for the last arc then the one that was shown with Blue Haired girl shanking her head.]

You aren't supposed to understand what happened in this arc yet. It will become clear later when (not really a spoiler, but tagged for the sensitive) spoiler[another arc shows everything from another character's point of view. That arc is where you'll see Rika stabbing herself to death.]
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

That's one of those things that will really annoy people familiar with the games but won't be much of an issue for anyone else. The first arc of the second season is an anime original arc that helps fill in some of those gaps anyway.

Also, the lack of extras is annoying. I love that opening and really wanted a clean version. More importantly, I wanted the TIPS. I'm hoping the last volume will have some extras (namely the OP and the TIPS), but I'm not counting on it at this point.

Yeah, I already knew about that. I was one of those people that it didn't apply to.

I'm also a little irked by the complete lack of extras, as well.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

The fifth and sixth arcs have opening scenes as well, they're just not nearly as disturbing/bloody.

Five episodes on this disc, hm. Assuming the series is going to be spread over six discs and the next one will have only 4 episodes, the next volume is going to end in a weak spot. (Edit: miscounted, forgot the fifth episode of the arc, but the fourth arc is still a weak spot).

Do they, now? I haven't watched those eps in quite some time, so I didn't remember.

And it will be spread out in 6 discs (thank god). Geneon's more often than not the culprit that stretches a 26-ep release to 7 discs, and I would've been really pissed if they did it with Hig.

Richard J. wrote:
I was wondering about that. So will that scene fit in with a different arc down the road or is it just a complete accident? (Please, no big spoilers.)

It'll fit, you'll see. It'll make even more sense when you come to understand more of the series' mysteries.

imderekyup wrote:
biolizard_alpha wrote:
The opening scene for the second arc was actually a mistake in adaptation, and shouldn't be there.

Actually, spoiler[it is the same arc, but you don't see that part until a later arc, which is the same events seen through another characters eyes]

*possible spoiler*
spoiler[It kind of is, but kind of isn't.] Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

Do they, now? I haven't watched those eps in quite some time, so I didn't remember.

The later ones don't start off showing someone getting brutally murdered, so they aren't as memorable. Remember, one started with spoiler[showing a corpse getting discovered.]
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

The later ones don't start off showing someone getting brutally murdered, so they aren't as memorable. Remember, one started with spoiler[showing a corpse getting discovered.]

Yup, I remember that one. Smile (Simply put, I only remembered the ones for the first three arcs.) I remember pondering about that one.

Poor spoiler[R-]

Never mind. Wink
MarthX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Keiichi being attacked in the hospital is never directly explained in the anime (it was in the game) but later when you know more about everything, you can figure it out, if you really think on it.]
Treetastic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

You aren't supposed to understand what happened in this arc yet. It will become clear later when (not really a spoiler, but tagged for the sensitive) spoiler[another arc shows everything from another character's point of view. That arc is where you'll see Rika stabbing herself to death.]

Ewwww. I hope that Higurashi has an at least somewhat happy ending. Confused Iremember someone put up the manga panel for that particular scene on another site. Shocked I find that this is tough to watch- the sheer amount of gore, plus the horrible situations... haven't gotten into it.

Quote:
However, instead of taking the Roshambo-like approach you might expect, where you watch the same events from different perspectives and interpretations,

I'm assuming you meant Rashomon, and not the Japanese name for rock-paper-scissors. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:
Quote:
However, instead of taking the Roshambo-like approach you might expect, where you watch the same events from different perspectives and interpretations,

I'm assuming you meant Rashomon, and not the Japanese name for rock-paper-scissors. Wink

Ugh, yes; I'm surprised no one caught that sooner. I'll correct it immediately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
At the end of the second chapter the storytelling does fall into the common slasher movie trap of going over the top, and one scene involving Mion flipping out while holding a ladder simply fails to work,

I remember that scene, and I agree. That one went from creepy to humorous.

Yeah, that part really was one of the worst in the arc. Followed by the nonsensical ending spoiler["She was dead before you even saw her" along with the hospital attack. ] I'm sure they're explained later, but in the moment, they just felt like cheap shock gimmicks.

I've only seen the first two arcs of the show before I stopped, as I felt I'd have a better chance liking it after the hype died down. I'm watching Kai right now, and so far I'm enjoying it a lot more. I might finish the first season now, as it's explained some of the leaps in logic that kept me from getting into it.

I like the concept of Higurashi a lot, but I really hated the execution of the anime (at least the first season). The first arc was just so badly planned out that instead of intriguing me (like it apparently did with everyone else), it really just kept me from taking it seriously. The dark opening kept one from geting a feel for the light moments (they just felt out of place) until right up to the point were the "creepy moments" started. This in turn (along with Keiichi's, unexplained irrational behavior spoiler[one minute he has no problem with his friends, the next he thinks they're trying to kill him, for no viable reason. it's completely inconsistant and spoils the suspension of disbelief] ) made the "creepy moments" awkward and, at times, laughably bad. It made me wonder how anyone could take such horrid presentation as "disturbing", when, in the first arc, the only thing disturbing was the poor handling of great material, and how so many were apparently gobbling it up and asking for seconds because of "killer lolis". It's hard to find something horrifying when you weren't set up to care in the first place.

The second arc was much better, as it allowed one to get a feel for the characters, and you were prepared for the gimmicky "creepiness" by the first arc. Except for the afore mentioned moments, it almost repaired my view of this show. I really want to like it, but unless the rest is more like the much more consistent Kai, I may have to just hope for manga/game translations.[/spoiler]

Last edited by Renaisance Otaku on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
[
I've only seen the first two arcs of the show before I stopped, as I felt I'd have a better chance liking it after the hype died down. I'm watching Kai right now, and so far I'm enjoying it a lot more. I might finish the first season now, as it's explained some of the leaps in logic that kept me from getting into it.

Wait, you're watching Kai without seeing all of the first season? That's.... an interesting approach to it.
purple_monkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
[

Wait, you're watching Kai without seeing all of the first season? That's.... an interesting approach to it.

Yeah, that's like watching the ending of Jacob's Ladder or Memento first and then watching the rest of the movie. Destroys the suspense. Heck, even the first couple episodes of Kai already would spoil a lot.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I pretty much loathe moe, but I love intelligent horror.

Should I bother checking out this series? It seems like it could be interesting, but the female cast is pretty off-putting to me.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the second volume but was rather confused about the numbering scheme. Now that I know that they are not 4 episode arcs things make more sense. I thought it was nice that Geneon at least had previews accessible from the main menu. I find it frustrating when there is an extras option (giving us false hope) only to bring you to another sub menu (after a second of loading time) which has only a trailers option and a DVD credits option.
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong, I love Higurashi. I love its atmosphere setting. I love the twists in the story. But sometimes I just wish the animation quality could be higher. Honestly, some of the animation look very out-of-date. Haven't seen the dubbed version, but the Japanese voice actors did a wonderful job as usual. Except Detective Oshii............. can he sounds any more cheesy and pretentious than that!!!!

I am watching the fan subbed version of the second series at the moment. spoiler[It is trying to pull all the story arcs in the first series together......... but so far it has been disappointing to me. The animation quality is a little better. Too bad the story isn't as engaging as the first series.]spoiler[]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
Okay, so I pretty much loathe moe, but I love intelligent horror.

Should I bother checking out this series? It seems like it could be interesting, but the female cast is pretty off-putting to me.

There are certainly some moe moments, but it is primarily a dark horror-ish series. I think you can enjoy this series even if you don't care for moe.

subaru wrote:

I am watching the fan subbed version of the second series at the moment. spoiler[It is trying to pull all the story arcs in the first series together......... but so far it has been disappointing to me. The animation quality is a little better. Too bad the story isn't as engaging as the first series.]

You do realize that the first story arc of Kai was an anime original arc that was revealing some points that got cut out in the first season, right? And that the second arc is only just beginning. It looks like the second season will only have three story arcs, so they can take there time and won't have to cut out much.
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

This in turn (along with Keiichi's, unexplained irrational behavior [/spoiler]one minute he has no problem with his friends, the next he thinks they're trying to kill him, for no viable reason. it's completely inconsistant and spoils the suspension of disbelief[/spoiler] ) made the "creepy moments" awkward and, at times, laughably bad.

I have to disagree . One of the reasons I enjoy When they Cry stems from the fact that Keichi isn't retarded. Compared to other horror anime/movies/books I felt everything the main character did in the first arc was within reason and justified.

spoiler[What would your assumption be when two friends are keeping extreme tabs on you, demanding that you don't miss school, and put a NEEDLE in food they give you in a town with a rich history of murder and disappearances including two that happened the same week? And, before he acted on his theory he was nearly murdered on the way to school the next day.

I'm sorry, but once I found the needle, all bets are off. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3