• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 1.0 International Premiere Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote
Xenofan:
Quote:
I'm hoping to make my way out to Japan sometime next (school) year (08-09) and catch either the 2nd or, even better, the 3rd and final movies.

Just take note of their new bootlegging law, mmkay? I'm not accusing you of it-just letting you know.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Quote:
For the sake of all good anime in this world, we cannot let Amanda Winn Lee do the ADR script.

What did she do so bad?

It's "badly," by the way....*shoots himself for grammar policing*
There were unnecessary script changes which significantly altered the meaning of certain lines. This is what Misato says to Shinji in the US subtitle scipt on the DVD I have, which is very close to the dub.
spoiler["You hate yourself, don't you? That's why you hurt others. Deep down you know that you suffer more...when you cause someone else pain, than if you just let yourself get hurt. But, Shinji, that was YOUR decision, so that makes it a valid choice. That was what you wanted, so that makes it worthwhile. Stop lying to yourself, and realize that you DO have options. Then accept the choices you've made."]
A fansub I checked read as follows. (My additions in brackets)
spoiler["You don't like yourself do you? That's why you hurt others...You know that hurting others is more painful than hurting yourself. [But,] Your remorse is the result of that decision that you made yourself[!] It has value, Shinji-kun[!] That's who you are[!] Don't lie to yourself about what you can do and then beg forgiveness for your mistakes."]

That wasn't all, but I'm not going to split hairs all day. I think Greenfield's scipts were much better that Amanda's.

GATSU wrote:
Xenofan: Quote:
I'm hoping to make my way out to Japan sometime next (school) year (08-09) and catch either the 2nd or, even better, the 3rd and final movies.

Just take note of their new bootlegging law, mmkay? I'm not accusing you of it-just letting you know.

Hehe. Well, there's no hurt in trying.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
NGE1113 wrote:
It'd be a feat for ADV to dig up all the old VA's. Really. Out of the main cast, only Tiffany Grant still does any regular work for ADV.

Actually, I read that the main voice actors for Shinji, Auska, and Rei have already taken interest in reprising their roles as the main characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebuild_of_Evangelion

Scroll down to "International Adaptation and Release"

However, that section of the article contains two words not uncommon to wiki: [citation needed]. Not to doubt or anything, but I'd like to see some hard proof backing those statements up.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to get a group of friends together to see this sometime next week. I'd see it tomorrow (Saturday the 1st) but I have opening ceremonies at my school here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
The movie is now released. Let's see how quickly a funsub version reaches the net...
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
However, that section of the article contains two words not uncommon to wiki: [citation needed]. Not to doubt or anything, but I'd like to see some hard proof backing those statements up.

Lol, I think I am blind. I didn't see that before... Rolling Eyes
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
NGE1113 wrote:

Lol, I think I am blind. I didn't see that before... Rolling Eyes

I apologize if you felt my statement was a slight against you (there was no intention of that, trust me), but all I'm trying to say is that I prefer official announcements as apposed to Wiki articles in certain circumstances. The announcement of the dub cast for this movie is one of them.
subaru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
I just hope that 1. this gets licensed soon and 2. the people who license it (ADV probably) give it an A-class English dub.

I don't think it will take ADV long to license it. After all, Eva is one of their biggest grossing titles. Just remembering all the different versions of VHS, DVDs, Limited Editions, Platinum Editions, Remastered Versions........................ I can assure you that history will repeat itself for these 4-movie series. Time to save up Wink

And with title like Eva, I am pretty sure that they will try their best to get the original english cast back on board. The original english cast did a superb job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2