• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films, Geneon USA's Distribution Deal Cancelled

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
VEGANDARAE wrote:
Quote:
Hopefully if no one does pick up their actual library of titles the companies with titles in mid production with Geneon will get them picked up elsewhere and finished and not just shelve them. Even with a mid run cast change it's still better then having a series in mid production not get finished at all. At least the Japanese track would remain the same with a mid run dub switch.

Are you serious?????????

would they really just change the cast in the middle of the run and not just let the studio finish it?

Well, they might have to. Im not sure though. This is something I've been wondering about in all this. I know that the Dub is created through a certain recording studio. However Im not sure wether they sort of contract it out to that studio or at least some sort of group who handles the whole thing. I know the voice actors obviously don't work for the company, but is everyone else who orgnaizes the dub part of the company? If thats not the case, It seems plausable that they could just keep that group in charge of the dub even though its now being funded and done for a different company. However, if its just Geneon who does this all themselves, I would think keeping the same cast would involve talking to every actor and getting them to sign on with the new dub project.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
VEGANDARAE wrote:
Quote:
Hopefully if no one does pick up their actual library of titles the companies with titles in mid production with Geneon will get them picked up elsewhere and finished and not just shelve them. Even with a mid run cast change it's still better then having a series in mid production not get finished at all. At least the Japanese track would remain the same with a mid run dub switch.

Are you serious?????????

would they really just change the cast in the middle of the run and not just let the studio finish it?

As mentioned they may not have a choice. Let's say for a second Geneon goes away end of story. The titles are now up for grabs probably. Say company "C" picks them up. That company probably has some places they go to for their dubbing. They may be completely different from Geneons. So what would be in it for them to go elsewhere? That's one thing many had with ADV taking over their catalog. ADV is one of the few, if not only, American companies that has in house dubbing. In other words they don't need to outsource a series to some other place for a dubbing. they can do it themselves. So if other companies do wind up getting some of Geneon's titles it'll be up to them to determine where they go to dub the series, or finish the current dub. So it is possible with a series that just started, like Karin, to get picked up by say Media Blasters and get a new cast mid way through. Or a series to start a new season, like Black Lagoon Second Barrage maybe, with a new cast. The second example happened once between Geneon and ADV before with Saiyuki. Or like how ADV now has OMG and not Media Blasters but in this example ADV was smart for once and kept the same voice cast instead of doing it in-house and switching casts on a show with 3 different voice casts over the years already.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
They may be completely different from Geneons. So what would be in it for them to go elsewhere?

Well, In cases like this, what would be in it for them would be a better realease with better continuity since they could keep the same actors.

My concern is rather that I don't think that even if they were willing to use a different than usual studio it would be as simple as that to just get them to continue. I would assume that at the very least, since the licence is technically ending and then they're buying a new licence it would void any contract or agreement that Geneon had with the studios and actors.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
They may be completely different from Geneons. So what would be in it for them to go elsewhere?

Well, In cases like this, what would be in it for them would be a better realease with better continuity since they could keep the same actors.

My concern is rather that I don't think that even if they were willing to use a different than usual studio it would be as simple as that to just get them to continue. I would assume that at the very least, since the licence is technically ending and then they're buying a new licence it would void any contract or agreement that Geneon had with the studios and actors.

true they would have better continuity but would that be profitable? Sure the fans would love this but is it financially sound or feasible to do so? if the show had poor or meager sales to begin with is it worth it to the company honestly? I mean you'll have some die hard ADV fans pick them up but you'd have die hard Geneon fans not buy so those will offset each other. Now it's back to is it profitable enough? That was just an example btw. I hate to say it but I don't think it would be. Maybe I'm wrong.

I dunno how these contracts work so I'm not sure if what you're saying is right or not. Makes sense to me but not sure if it's how it works or not. To get them to continue a show again they'd need to feel it's profitable and worth while to do so. Especially since you'd already have your own market of shows without this add on.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:38 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

They could just as well finish them themselves too. I'm presuming that is what Dentsu means when they say " focus mainly on management of its works porfolio", finish up what they've got first before pulling the plug.
.hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote
I believe that on or shortly after Monday (October 1) that some of these questions in regards to on-going series and dubs will be answered. *hopes*
delariean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
.hacker wrote:
I believe that on or shortly after Monday (October 1) that some of these questions in regards to on-going series and dubs will be answered. *hopes*

Or may be sooner. News via Animenation.com

Geneon Exits American Anime Industry
Geneon USA has officially informed retailers that as of 5 PM PDT this Friday, September 28th, the company will cease all DVD production, sales, and distribution.

All Geneon USA DVD titles scheduled for release after November 11, 2007 have apparently been canceled.

So now shit has hit fan...
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
Here's what Anime on DVD posted on their front page:

Anime on DVD wrote:
Geneon Entertainment Exits (10:46 AM EDT): Though the finality of things is still up in the air, Geneon Entertainment has sent out information to retailers regarding their 4th quarter plans. According to the information, Geneon will be shipping all releases they have in the queue as announced through 11/05/2007. All orders placed after this coming Friday is non-returnable. As of 12/31/2007, they will be shutting down, apparently completely as AnimeNation is listing everything past 11/11/2007 as canceled. Plans for beyond 12/31/2007 are still up in the air but what little is being said indicates that they're intending to focus on their own properties in a similar way to Kadokawa Pictures USA is doing things.

EDIT: Here's an image of the letter:

http://www.animeondvd.com/images/geneonpr.jpg
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad

This depresses me to no end. Six unfinished series for me. Please someone for the love of god, pick up these series: Rozen Maiden Traumend, Black Lagoon Second Barrage, Hellsing Ultimate, Story of Saiunkoku, Kyo Kara Maoh, and Shounen Onmyouji. Crying or Very sad
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad

Son of a... This is not what I wanted to hear.

All I can hope for is that someone will pick up the series from Geneon that need to finish.
VEGANDARAE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
VEGANDARAE wrote:
Quote:

Are you serious?????????

As mentioned they may not have a choice. Let's say for a second Geneon goes away end of story. The titles are now up for grabs probably. Say company "C" picks them up. That company probably has some places they go to for their dubbing. They may be completely different from Geneons. So what would be in it for them to go elsewhere? That's one thing many had with ADV taking over their catalog. ADV is one of the few, if not only, American companies that has in house dubbing. In other words they don't need to outsource a series to some other place for a dubbing. they can do it themselves. So if other companies do wind up getting some of Geneon's titles it'll be up to them to determine where they go to dub the series, or finish the current dub. So it is possible with a series that just started, like Karin, to get picked up by say Media Blasters and get a new cast mid way through. Or a series to start a new season, like Black Lagoon Second Barrage maybe, with a new cast. The second example happened once between Geneon and ADV before with Saiyuki. Or like how ADV now has OMG and not Media Blasters but in this example ADV was smart for once and kept the same voice cast instead of doing it in-house and switching casts on a show with 3 different voice casts over the years already.

that REALLY pissed me off about Saiyuki, ADV shouldve found a way to keep full continuity on the series.

I cant remember how long ago it was, when i asked ADV about getting Saiyuki Reload, if they did, they'd correct the dub.
starcade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

This is a news article that has turned into a carnival that's what. It was a news article because that's what ANN does......post news relative to anime. Not yet another pointless fansub debate.

Sorry, I sadly disagree with what you're saying here.

If it's not fansubbing, then I would agree with the moderator -- if it is, then can no one see the writing on the wall here???

That's why I asked Zac twice (and, of course, TPTB shut his mouth on that one) whether he felt this was simply Geneon's incompetence and the like for all this. I would ask you the same question, but you have no intention of giving us your opinion or belief on the matter, since...

psycho 101 wrote:

As for Geneon, that's not your business now is it. Get that through your head. You aren't part of them. You aren't a share holder. You simply buy their product and that doesn't give you the right to know about their personal dealings.

How strongly can I put this?

You're full of it. And it stinks.

This is ALL OF OUR business, because (especially if it is due, for whatever stripe you want to toss on it, to massive over-speculation on the sales market of American anime) this ain't gonna be the last company to do this -- especially if what we're hearing from people in the news and in these threads is accurate.

I mean, you read the post about some series not even covering their DUBBING costs, much less licensing nor anything else?

Now, I assert that the industry has been walking around with rose-colored glasses for some time, but let's not go too crazy and borrow them, shall we?

What's going on is all anime fans' business because it's going to impact all of us. Period. If you can't get that through YOUR head (and you most certainly aren't alone!!), then I can't help you.

psycho 101 wrote:

That's like going to a con and buying an art print from someone and demanding to know about their personal bank records. Do zac and others know more then us? Sure, it's their job. They however are not going to commit career suicide and divulge personal insider information to you or us.

Then they honestly should think about what threads they really want to continue or cut off -- as I told Zac earlier.

This could be the biggest anime story in years (it essentially amounts to a shutdown of the 3rd biggest, by market share, anime company serving the US market). What I'm saying is that it very easily could be downloading/fansubs, and that that argument may be part of this discussion, resulting sanity of forum be damned.

psycho 101 wrote:

And if you're demanding they do you're ignorant and rude because you're demanding they jeopardize their jobs to simply placate your needs. IF AND WHEN Geneon decides to say something public you'll know when the rest of us know.

Considering they probably aren't even in position to stay afloat, I don't see that happening. But if the mods are just going to cut off "another fansub debate" without realizing that the entire thing could be about fansubs, then they might as well chop the thread and be done with it.

Imagine what would happen to that debate if it's actually revealed that the worst fears are true and the industry overestimated sales, and BADLY!!! Civil war among anime fans might be putting it lightly.

psycho 101 wrote:

And what you think about the market does not mean that's the truth or case here. that's what Y O U think. You can certainly think whatever you want but don't throw it on the rest of us and claim it's the truth when you don't know in this case. You're acting like a Doomsayer with this issue when there's no need for it. The anime industry and the world are not ending tomorrow. Take some Valium and and mellow out.

I'm really the last person people want to tell to mellow out, but if I say any more about that, I'm gone for good.

(Because I've already done the same for Zac...)

Yes, I'm acting like a Doomsayer, because that's where the business is going -- straight into the toilet. There's a lot of industry hate out there, and we have no idea how much (if really, much of anything) is getting sold out there, and that does nothing for consumer confidence.

A year ago, I wasn't even really sure ADV might survive -- now, them laying back may have been the right move, but will there be enough left when The Crackdown occurs for them to continue as they are? I think not!

psycho 101 wrote:

And you just graduated into 6th grade. I mean seriously with is this? You expect to be taken seriously when you want to post idle middle school retorts like this? Forget the Valium take some damn Morphine and get back to us in a few days when it wears off. Rolling Eyes

Thorazine might be better, but that might take weeks to wear off.

Seriously, I do not take kindly when mods decide they want to toss their heads into the air and say that we shouldn't say anything because they have position on us and "Nyah nyah nyah-nyah nyahhhhhhhhh..."

psycho 101 wrote:

starcade wrote:

Of course, you can't ask Zac -- he's basically saying we shouldn't even ask things like that...

Get off it will ya. You're simply twisting his words to fit your opinions. Plus you haven't asked much of anything. You've simply overloaded the thread with your fansub is evil the anime industry is doomed crap. The forums are for debate, you're not debating. You're on your soap box telling us all that the end of anime is coming. Even in the smallest tiniest .0001% it is guess what? There world will go on.

You are truly delusional. Here it is in big bold letters:

The third biggest anime company, in American market share, just threw in the towel.

What I was asking above is why... If they can't tell us, there's no need to continue this thread or really any of the other related ones, except for the hope that their title will be able to be finished and released before The End of Geneon...

(Of course, you might not get told _that_ either, because 'nyah nyah nyah-nyah nyahhhhhhhhhh...')
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="psycho 101"]true they would have better continuity but would that be profitable? Sure the fans would love this but is it financially sound or feasible to do so? if the show had poor or meager sales to begin with is it worth it to the company honestly? I mean you'll have some die hard ADV fans pick them up but you'd have die hard Geneon fans not buy so those will offset each other. Now it's back to is it profitable enough? That was just an example btw. I hate to say it but I don't think it would be. Maybe I'm wrong.

Well, If its a better product becuase of that, it is probably going to be more profitable. Ofcourse, I see your point and agree, its not going to make a huge difference. However, I wouldn't think that it would be a particularilly big deal to use a different studio either. Infact it might actually be easier because they wouldn't have to go through the process of casting and stuff all over again. Also, I'm talking about shows a company has already decided would be profitable to continue.
charliemmf1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I just gotta say that I hope it all works out for the best. I've gotten several wonderful anime series from Geneon USA, and it would be very sad to lose them and/or their titles. I'd also like to say thank you to those ANN executives, and those with actual titles for tolerating us panicing fans, as your information has been very helpful. When I started reading this, I was one of those thinking "IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!" I think, thanks to you, that I've been able to calm down a bit and regain my patience, as business matters do take time. Again, I hope this all works out for the best, and I'll try to keep the doomsday thoughts to a minimum. Thanks again ANN, for all your info.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
starcade wrote:

Sorry, I sadly disagree with what you're saying here.

If it's not fansubbing, then I would agree with the moderator -- if it is, then can no one see the writing on the wall here???

That's why I asked Zac twice (and, of course, TPTB shut his mouth on that one) whether he felt this was simply Geneon's incompetence and the like for all this. I would ask you the same question, but you have no intention of giving us your opinion or belief on the matter, since...

Of course Zac is going to shut his mouth. Pay close attention here pal. THEY CANNOT DIVULGE THIS INFORMATION. They can't say anything official. That would be spilling insider information and as I said before is of the lines of career suicide. Especially for a company priding itself on being the most RELIABLE anime news source. That credibility would go flying out the damn window. I have stated my own opinions in other threads actually so go look for yourself. I also unlike you and others am not jumping to any conclusions, and running my mouth like I know what's going on when I don't, until official word is released.

starcade wrote:

How strongly can I put this?

You're full of it. And it stinks.

This is ALL OF OUR business, because (especially if it is due, for whatever stripe you want to toss on it, to massive over-speculation on the sales market of American anime) this ain't gonna be the last company to do this -- especially if what we're hearing from people in the news and in these threads is accurate.

I mean, you read the post about some series not even covering their DUBBING costs, much less licensing nor anything else?

Now, I assert that the industry has been walking around with rose-colored glasses for some time, but let's not go too crazy and borrow them, shall we?

What's going on is all anime fans' business because it's going to impact all of us. Period. If you can't get that through YOUR head (and you most certainly aren't alone!!), then I can't help you.

For starters you need to really wake up and come to the real world. In the real world everyone's personal affairs are not your business and you do not have a right to know them. You may buy someone's product but that does not give you a right to be told of personal financial and business related matters. So stop acting delusional like you have a right to know these things. None of us do. It is NOT our company and we are NOT employees or share holders. Even basic employees don't have a right to know. I suggest you grow up some and take some business courses first. Just because you buy their product does not give you a right to be told everything that they do and/or why they do it.

And how do you know they won't be the last company to do it? You act like ADV and Funi are next. This is not the end of the anime world so stop with the doomsayer crap. You have no idea how the other companies are doing so how do you know they're going to fall too? You don't so don't act like you do.

starcade wrote:

Then they honestly should think about what threads they really want to continue or cut off -- as I told Zac earlier.

This could be the biggest anime story in years (it essentially amounts to a shutdown of the 3rd biggest, by market share, anime company serving the US market). What I'm saying is that it very easily could be downloading/fansubs, and that that argument may be part of this discussion, resulting sanity of forum be damned.

They report the news, they don't make the threads buddy. Each news article is subject to having a thread created but they're not the ones doing it. Except on rare occasions. So you're wrong there.

I don't dispute it's big news but just because one company falls does NOT mean others will. It could be totally unrelated to your little fansub tirade. As mentioned countless times you have no idea, along with the rest of us, why they are folding. For Christ's sake for all we know the heads could've lost millions of dollars in a high stakes Las Vegas poker match. The point is noone knows so while suggesting theories is one thing it's quite another to go on and on and on and on about how the anime industry is doomed which is mostly what you're doing. And using this to further your own apparent crusade against fansubs as a whole.

As for the resulting sanity of this forum be damned, yea that just shows your immaturity and ignorance. You're basically saying screw this place as long as I get to run my mouth. Nice.

starcade wrote:

Considering they probably aren't even in position to stay afloat, I don't see that happening. But if the mods are just going to cut off "another fansub debate" without realizing that the entire thing could be about fansubs, then they might as well chop the thread and be done with it.

Imagine what would happen to that debate if it's actually revealed that the worst fears are true and the industry overestimated sales, and BADLY!!! Civil war among anime fans might be putting it lightly.

Could be about and are about are two different things. Talking and debating civilly the idea of fansubs and going on and on about the evils of them are also two different things. They even gave opportunity to discuss them and their POSSIBLE relevance here but you and others squandered that right and opportunity with your incessant fansub flame wars and inability to talk like rational human beings. Nope, most of you are left or right wing nuts who refuse to even listen to the other side because they're "evil."

starcade wrote:

I'm really the last person people want to tell to mellow out, but if I say any more about that, I'm gone for good.

(Because I've already done the same for Zac...)

Yes, I'm acting like a Doomsayer, because that's where the business is going -- straight into the toilet. There's a lot of industry hate out there, and we have no idea how much (if really, much of anything) is getting sold out there, and that does nothing for consumer confidence.

A year ago, I wasn't even really sure ADV might survive -- now, them laying back may have been the right move, but will there be enough left when The Crackdown occurs for them to continue as they are? I think not!

How do you know the business is going down the toilet? Get off yourt arse and tell us. Quit with this goddamned stupid tirade and actually answer how you are in a position to know this. Tell us the business classes you have taken to properly analyze the anime market. Tell us the insider information you have on the various companies financial dealings. Tell us how you know about the gains and losses the companies have financially and logistically. You can't end of story. And since you can't you have no true idea or proof that the anime industry as a whole is going down the toilet. Could it be? Sure, anything is possible. But except those in the industry itself none of us here have the knowledge to make any type of factual or realistic judgment so get off your high horse. You honestly don't know what's going on behind the scenes anymore then you know how to build a damn car so stop acting like you do.

And if you claim to be the last person people want to tell to mellow out it sounds like you've got your own personal problems to deal with as is.

starcade wrote:

Thorazine might be better, but that might take weeks to wear off.

Seriously, I do not take kindly when mods decide they want to toss their heads into the air and say that we shouldn't say anything because they have position on us and "Nyah nyah nyah-nyah nyahhhhhhhhh..."

And your wonderful middle school remarks are any better then those you claim to not take kindly? I suppose you follow the old he did it so I can do it line of thinking huh? They say something you don't like so you're entitled to respond equally immature right? I seriously think you need some damn medication. I mean you're going on and on like it's the end of the world over this anime situation. Guess what, even if anime disappeared tomorrow the world would move on. Deal with it. Anime is not required for you to be alive like oxygen or water. Even if the worst should happen the wolrd keeps spinning.

starcade wrote:

You are truly delusional. Here it is in big bold letters:

The third biggest anime company, in American market share, just threw in the towel.

What I was asking above is why... If they can't tell us, there's no need to continue this thread or really any of the other related ones, except for the hope that their title will be able to be finished and released before The End of Geneon...

(Of course, you might not get told _that_ either, because 'nyah nyah nyah-nyah nyahhhhhhhhhh...')

The thread is open for debate and those to share opinions and theories. NOT go on and on with end of the anime world mindless ranting or yet another fansub flame war #53558. Since loli just got off the hot topic burner and we have fansubs I suppose next week will be on dubs and subs. Rolling Eyes

You are the truly delusional one here. You're jumping to end of the world scenarios over one instance. Yes they're a big player and it's a bit more shocking then say if a smaller company like Media Blasters or Manga went under. However as mentioned so many times this could be for a variety of reasons and might not effect other companies because it could have simply been bad business decisions on Geneon's part. Companies do make bad business choices and perhaps Geneon made one too many or a real big one. Since no one can know for sure right now why don't you just sit down and wait for real information instead of continuing with your insipid tirade on how the anime industry is doomed.[/quote]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 23