• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Evil Character Tournament RESULTS

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
A rather tough choice this round, as both villains were cruel and manipulative on a personal level at times, yet still able to achieve their nefarious goals at a global level. Ultimately, my decision is (again) made because Aion's final act (spoiler[returning from apparent death so he could fail to assassinate the Pope]) of the series was such a pathetic failure in comparison to everything else he did. I vote Dante.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say Aion. I don't see the whole assassination deal as a failure. If it's one thing that made Aion such a great villain; it's that even when it seemed as though he failed it was really all part of his scheme from the beginning.

Aion was cruel and manipulative but also extremely intelligent and charismatic. That makes for a horrible combination. Dante, on the other hand, just wasn't as effective for me as a villain. She was good at pulling strings and achieving her ends but her motivations made her a rather weak character and her villainous side was a tad cliche. She also didn't seem to have as much control as Aion did, nor did she have the charisma. There's no doubt she was evil and manipulative though.

In the end it is a tough choice. To me though Aion is the very epitome of evil so I have to go with him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll have to go with the one I know: Dante. Most people know what she's done and how she is, so I can't add much to it. What I think of her has so many expletives I won't say, it's just easier to say that she's a wicked, wicked woman. Simple as that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The new brackets with the "Sinister 8" Group C & D results has been posted at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Enjoy.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I definitley have to go with Dante on this one. When I watched Chrno Crusade, Aion did not really leave a lasting impression on me. So even though he is evil, I don't want to vote for him at all because of that and also Dante is definitely more ruthless and evil, all for selfish reasons.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
There was something about Aion that didn't rub me the right way last time. I'm going to go with Dante, believe it or not, on the strength of the clip from the previous round. I'm not quite ready to watch another clip of this character.
ccdx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna go with Aion here. Although Dante is definitely a worthy competitor, she can't quite match up to Aion's evilness. Both committed sinful deeds to, in the end, get what they wanted. Both physically and mentally abused their subordinates as well as past friends with not an ounce of empathy or compassion. Dante had the homunculi, Aion had Joshua. Dante had Hohenheim Elric, Aion had Chrono and Rosette Christopher... Rosette, some of those scenes were pretty bad, way worse than anything Dante did.

As has been referenced here multiple times, you could say Dante had more scope, with the annihilation of several thousands of people. But Aion also had great scope with the annihilation of several million demons and humans as well. Dante wanted to live forever, Aion wanted to rule all that there is.

Clearly Dante has a lot going for her, she did get this far after all. However, in the end I believe Dante comes up a little bit short against the demon, determined to rule both heaven and hell.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Geez, where'd all the voters go?

This one is a very difficult choice, but I'm going to give a slight edge to Aion. He is the true devil, after all, and his deeds, if successful, would have far more catastrophic effects than Dante's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm sorry guys, I knnow it sounds like I keep making excuses, but I'm not. We have a horrible internet connectuion and while I was on attempting to update this around 7, it died. And I kept checking back all night unto 4 AM and my internet was still not back on. This morning at 1030, it still wasn't on. My mom called the place and it dies sometimes because we are far away from where we recieve from so I will update soon today, but my mom said I can't do it until I do my homework and I just had to let you guys know what was going on before it dies again. Hopefully I'll update later. Thats all.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the double post, but now that my internet is back up and working, I have Round 6 Group CD, Its getting close to the end with the final round next week!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was a close one between Dante and Aion!

CD
Johan Liebert from Monster | Johan clip | Johan history report
Delphine from: Last Exile | Delphine clip| Delphine History report

I'm sticking with Delphine. Johan is scary. Extremely scary. But, his evilness only affects a limited few. Delphine's evil is global. Hurting many including spoiler[her own brother.]
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
CD

This is by far the best matchup to date and yet, still an easy choice for me. Johan is so much more evil than Delphine. She may have had more scope with her evil intentions to dominate the poor people of Anatoray and Disith, but no one quite does it like Johan Twisted Evil.

The way he carries himself all throughout the series and more importantly while he is committing his evil acts, a sort of "this is normal, killing is an everyday thing" attitude chills viewers to the core. How he derives a kind of sick pleasure from not only killing, but toying with his victims in outrageous and diabolical ways. The clip this round is a great example of his twisted intent. Driving an innocent young orphaned boy to suicide by convincing him no one wants him, especially his mother who obviously threw him away like a piece of trash. And for what? What reason did Johan have to do this? Well it seems just because he could and to have a little "fun."

Delphine is a great villian who shows all the classic signs of an evil tyrant brutal to her own subjects and family. But the way Johan actually scares you a little bit, how he envokes that feeling of dread and disgust by his actions has you come to understand what true evil really is...
zhir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
CD

This is the best pairing in the whole tournament, and I think that whoever wins this will kill Dante in the last round.

They are the ultimate examples of two villain archetypes. Delphine is the cold, manipulative kind of evil. Johan is the cold, sadistic kind of evil. They also both have a touch of the other (Delphine is sadistic and Johan is manipulative when it suits him). Both take great pleasure in what they do.

I've given this a lot of thought, and was originally going to vote Johan, but I realized something. Johan does do more sadistic things than Delphine does in their respective shows, but Delphine is just as sadistic, as shown by spoiler[what she did to her brother, her descriptions of how many people died preparing their food, what she did to Alex and what she does to the water ship.] She just has less opportunity to show off than Johan does.

If you set their sadism equal, then Delphine wins based on her manipulation of Anatoray and Disith.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
CD

Winner: Delphine. Wow... if only I knew any of these... But sadly, I don't. So I'm afraid I'll have to go with the flow and vote.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
Johan Liebert from Monster
Delphine from: Last Exile

Some of Johan actions give me the shivers, and this fragment when he brainwashed this boy and convinced him to commit suicide is one of this scenes I can't forget even if I watched it two years ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 27