• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
If you could fix just one specific thing about a particular show...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
Is there an anime that you really like a whole lot but there's one glaring flaw that just drives you nuts? Or alternatively, is there an anime that you could totally see yourself really loving if not for one glaring flaw that ruins the show for you? If possible, tell us how you would fix that flaw rather than just pointing it out.

For me:

Berserk: Cut out episode 1 entirely. I believe that this show actually works just fine as a complete work despite the ending....except there's episode 1. If they just didn't introduce any of the post-Golden Age stuff at all it would be way better. Just let the viewer assume that spoiler[everyone dies at the end]. It's horribly grim but also totally appropriate for the series.

Ghost in the Shell SAC: Pants! Pants for the major! Maybe a less ridiculous top as well. Overall this is such a fantastic, serious, intelligent show which makes this utterly bizarre character design choice seem all the more out of place and distracting.

Kaiji: Drop. The. Awful. Narration! It is wildly unnecessary 90% of the time.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
For me it's quite simple...more episodes.

This applies to nearly all 12-episode animes I watch. Most of them have far too little time to truly develop the story and character, even if I enjoyed them a lot.

Astarotte's Toy, PapaKiki, Sacred Seven, and that show with the long dodgy name where the protagonist is a Demon Lord are just some examples.

Oh, and for the current HunterxHunter, sure would be nice if it went as fast as FMA:Brotherhood did and whizzed through the stuff the previous anime covered so we could get to the stuff everyone wants to see animated.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:39 am Reply with quote
I don't want to be a buzz kill but this really isn't intended to be a "here's what I generally hate" thread. Please try to keep it to something specific about a particular show.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
...isn't "lack of length to properly tell a complete story" specific?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
...isn't "lack of length to properly tell a complete story" specific?

Not to a specific show it ain't.

----------

This was mentioned in the recent podcast, but take *that scene* out of Wings of Honneamise (which is a movie, but hey, who cares). That one scene ruins the movie so fast you can hear it break the sound barrier as it plummets (in the ratings).

Give Ayato some proper psychological and emotional support and counselling in RahXephon. He's the most important kid in spoiler[two worlds,] don't allow him to become so unstable.

Redo episodes twenty-five and twenty-six of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Anything would be better. Anything at all . . .

Cut the sensationalist disaster-movie nonsense in Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. The show was strongest when it was about the people and the emotions, and the weakest when the characters are dodging a collapsing Tokyo Tower.

Take out the whole "marry after we achieve our dreams" crap in Bakuman. The series is amazing but it would be even better without that horrible plot device trying to strangle it at every turn. The really frustrating thing is the plot device isn't even necessary, the story could easily have gotten into motion without needing to make such a thoroughly bizarre pact.

I could go on all night, may post more later.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
^^ Same for Bakuman

Victorian Romance Emma- Give William the whipping that his parents didn't give him and force him to behave like an adult, responsible gentleman not child waiting for everyone to tell him what to do and hurting Eleanor because he thinks too slow to work out about consequences. Also, cut Hakim's pro-marraige speeches because rants about equality in mouths of Hindu prince with harem of wives sounds even not hypocritical.
Oruchuban Ebichu- Maa-kun stuff- out!
Saiunkoku Monogatari-Give the proper ending, even narrator saying what's going to happen.

Black Jack OVA- cut out both episodes about politics. Political criticism pointing into specific country under paper-thin disguise don't fit that series and anme of the Black Jack.
And BTW Black Jack- Pinoko out. Even marvellous OVA episodes doesn't help when she spoils manga with her wife husbandry rants.
damien007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Redo episodes twenty-five and twenty-six of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Anything would be better. Anything at all . . .

They already did that, they made the new episodes, combined them together into a movie, and called it End of Evangelion.

Last edited by damien007 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
damien007 wrote:
They already did that, they made the new episodes, compiled them together into a movie, and called it End of Evangelion.

Yes, and that was only marginally better than the final two broadcast episodes, if only because of Asuka's battle.
damien007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
damien007 wrote:
They already did that, they made the new episodes, compiled them together into a movie, and called it End of Evangelion.

Yes, and that was only marginally better than the final two broadcast episodes, if only because of Asuka's battle.

But you said "Anything at all..."; Considering you weren't happy with the original ending, and weren't happy with the remade ending, how about you just explain how you think it should have ended, or what you didn't like about the ending(s)?

Last edited by damien007 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
Gankutsuou: Have Albert die at any point before the ending. I'm not picky, any time he narrowly escaped death would be fine (spoiler[though being actually killed by his beloved Count would've been most delicious]) He was insufferable before, but I was practically screaming at my TV during the ending.

Also, cut out the whole spoiler[evil space parasite thing.] It was a stupid and completely unnecessary addition to a classic revenge story.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
Interesting topic. My example comes from RahXephon. And I assure you, dtm42, I am not bringing this forward to intentionally needle you; it genuinely bothers me. Fair warning to others: I am going to put most of my objection under spoiler tags because they reveal a very important plot element. Please do not uncloak the tags if you ever have any intention of watching the series.

RahXephon introduces a very kickass 29-year-old character named Haruka. She helps the 17-year-old lead character, Ayato, spoiler[escape from Toyko Jupiter] and you see her operate in a very capable, cool manner.

After this memorable introduction, the Haruka character starts to become absurd. You get the sense that spoiler[this 29-year-old woman has feelings for the 17-year-old Ayato.] And when I found out the reason why, I wanted to tear out what little hair I have left. What we discover is that at one time spoiler[Haruka and Ayato were the same age. For about six months, at the respective ages of 13, they were boyfriend and girlfriend. Then Ayato got stuck in Tokyo Jupiter while Haruka was outside of it and thus aged at different rates. Ergo, when they meet again, Haruka is 29 and Ayato is 17.]

So what we are then asked to accept as viewers, is that the reason adult Haruka is such a spoiler[pathetic mooncalf around the 17-year-old Ayato is that for the last 16 YEARS OF HER LIFE SHE'S BEEN JONESING FOR A BOY SHE DATED FOR 6 MONTHS. AS A 13-YEAR-OLD.] Oh, bullshit.

And, of course, this being anime, Ayato is incapable of spoiler[recognizing any similarity between the adult Haruka and the 13-year-old girlfriend of his who was so important to him that he continues to paint her image frequently. Hey, I know that our 29-year-old selves obviously look different from our 13-year-old versions, and yes, some of those differences can be pretty dramatic. But come on - there's not a head tilt, a certain phrase ... anything that harkens back?] Again, can't really ding RahXephon for this as it is a standard anime convention that even spoiler[a five-year absence is enough to make a male character not be able to recognize his best female childhood friend when he moves back to town which always makes her furious with him. ]

It's not the general concept I have a problem with. In fact, the idea of spoiler[two people who were in love being separated by time and then coming back together at different ages] is pretty cool. It's the specifics of this example that bug me. spoiler[Six months at age 13 does not add up to 16 years of mooning to me, anyway.]

I may have been able to somewhat make my peace with the element above IF Haruka had continued being spoiler[a kickass character after her introduction. But from what I can remember, she doesn't really do anything interesting after that. Just moons over this 17-year-old kid.]

What a waste.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball- Limit the resurrections with the Dragon Balls. If a protagonist dies, they never stay dead. They come back at the end of the arc. Hell, I'm surprised spoiler[Krillin] can still feel pain after all the times he's died.

Fruits Basket- Have spoiler[Akito] receive proper karma. There's being forgiving, then there's being a complete pushover. This psycho transvestite has brutally assaulted people and tried to murder Tohru. Not even a freaken trial?

Rosario+Vampire- Panty Shots. That is all.

Sgt. Frog- Natsumi. Sometimes, she's tolerable and Keroro deserves the abuse. However, the Girls Day episode really made her take 20 levels in jerkass. First, she claims to not give a shit about the holiday, then the next moment, she tries to skin the Kero platoon for ruining it. Then there are other times when it's just Keroro or Kululu that fudge up, and she goes after the entire platoon for their stupidity. Shoot first, no questions. Glen Beck would be proud of her.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dragon Ball- Limit the resurrections with the Dragon Balls. If a protagonist dies, they never stay dead. They come back at the end of the arc. Hell, I'm surprised spoiler[Krillin] can still feel pain after all the times he's died.

There used to be limits, but the author was very creative about bypassing them Rolling Eyes
I'd say that Goku staying dead and passing the torch to Gohan would be the better way to finish than repeating the same stuff again.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote
I totally agree about Bakuman. I hate that stupid promise. It's not romantic, it's just weird.

Fushigi Yuugi - Have Yui actually believe her supposed best friend when she tells her what happened instead of going into emo denial mode and hating Miaka for completely the wrong reasons.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Let's see:

-Another- Kill off the plot element where spoiler[Mei's doll eye can see the dead.] This felt like a pointless addition to the show's plot as it was poorly explained and didn't need to be there to solve the town's mystery considering what was being built up with it.

-The Third: Girl With the Blue Eye- Get rid of the show's narrator considering his obnoxious habit of revealing facts that are already clear as day to the viewer.

-Rather than list a bunch of titles where I wish to be rid of this cliche, I'll put them together in this single paragraph since it would apply to stuff like many long-running shounen titles and Clannad After Story. I'd either keep characters killed off or get rid of contrived elements where anime characters get brought back from the dead after seeing them get killed off. Character deaths are supposed to help enhance the drama to an anime and can be effective emotional moments to hook a viewer if they developed any attachment to said characters yet the mentioned anime titles above tend to make up some lame-ass plot device or element of deus ex machina to bring said characters back to life which cheapens the emotional investment that the viewer had from seeing said character deaths.

-Death Note- Might enrage some folks, but I'd end the series when spoiler[Light managed to defeat L. The major highlight I got out of Death Note was Light and L's cat-and-mouse game to see who would overcome the other in their tribulations. Ending the series at that point might make it somewhat of a downer, but it would at least not feel as cheapened with the later episodes when Mello and Near were introduced just to tack on a predictable happy ending and the two not having to do as much work as L and the other detectives had to do in solving the Kira case.]

And I also agree with the "we won't be together until we're famous" plot element of Bakuman. While I have grown to enjoy the series, this is still an annoying aspect of the show's plot which leaves me wondering why the heck Mashiro and Azuki are dense enough to make such an agreement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5