• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
I have watched the first HxH series and I am actually enjoying the New HxH, is really doesn't feel unnecessary. Very glad that they decided to remake especially since it coming from Madhouse, it makes the series much more accessible to a younger audience but I am wondering how they will handle the show when it gets to its darker story arc. Anyways I'll be looking forward to future episodes and when it finally gets to the Chimera Ant arc. Laughing

And the first episode of Fate/Zero had too much expository, I noticed that the characters in one scene had to walk around in circles so it wouldn't be so boring. Type Moon is getting their pants too high with a tight belt, but will give episode 2 to stop my friend from bothering me about this show. Hey, Type Moon try thinking about the normal audience for once. And here I enjoy long-Oshii-conversations.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
Vulgarization, 3-episodes-to-1 shrinking of HxH does not feel good to me.

Why they needed to dumb the show down, strip it off of nuances and epic pace?

Probably, to make "quick buck" with younger audience?

And yes, it is interesting how they will deal with not that young-targeted episodes when one of supposedly good side characters breaks Gon's arm, et cetera.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
I am also not sure what Zachary means by referring to the new HxH music as orchestral, as if original was something else. Toshihiko Sahashi, composer for original HxH, created grandiose, epic orchestral sound track, melodies, which can be competed by only few other anime works (like Naruto series, for example).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I established that Zac didn't watch the original series (or at least, he can't remember much about it) so I wouldn't take his comments on the music too seriously. I laughed at that one BGM that got used frequently in the new series though, the one that played when Gon went overboard.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
I only have a passing interest in Fate/Zero, I'll likely watch it, but it's not high on the watch list for me. Now, Ika Musume 2, I'm all primed for that! I'm not a big fan of the invented squid puns, but that's alright, version I watch doesn't put those in.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote
Fate/Zero: Having read the novels already this was pretty much what I expected (in a good way). Only Risei and Tokiomi circling Kirei felt awkward.

Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai: Much better than what I expected. I was already ready for this to be the next in line of turning great eroge in to god-awful anime adaptions (that PV that de-emphasized everything except the main heroines asses had me REALLY worried). But they really surprised by starting with the one scene I expected to not see animated because of the constant action and huge number of characters. Though the mooks being decimated in one grand attack got boring fast and it was a shame that Otome (Tsuyokiss) got replaced by the Majikoi S character, but hey promotion for the next game and it would have been impossible to have Otome appear in battle as voice only like she did in the VN.

I think this really set it as something else than eroge adaption #1654 by starting with an episode full of action, large cast and protagonist spoiler[being rejected twice]. As a fan of the original game I'm interested to see what this will become. Game started in April and anime skipped straight to August, so it's possible that the next episode goes back to April, if they aren't planning some kind of anime original plot with those two female soldiers.

Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon: I hope this way of starting a series that everyone expected to be nothing but boobs and ass with nonstop action becomes a habit. So yeah most of the first episode was a one long race/battle scene across one of the flying city-ships with some character introductions and rather awkward exposition about the world mixed in. The animation was absolutely gorgeous. Characters (especially males) had really imaginative appearances and all of their weapons and fighting styles were very original (I laughed when the angel girls used the broom as cannon and laughed even harder when they used it as sniper rifle). And the backgrounds, my god they were also gorgeous. Just look at the pans over the Musashi or the clouds being destroyed when crashing to that pillar of light.

Surpringly there was very little fanservice except for the tight and strangely shiny uniforms of the female students. And I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that the only part that was censored was boobs being squeezed over at least three layers of clothing.

All around fine first episode though I missed around 20% of the dialog when watching it without subtitles, because they used some strange terminology that was impossible for me to understand without at least seeing the kanji for the words. I weep for the poor guy who tries to translate this without reading the light novels.

HunterXHunter: Haven't seen previous series, but this seemed like the start of a fine shonen action. Shame that I don't like shonen action that much, so dropped for now. BTW ending song was awful.

Working'!!: More of the same. And that's a good thing because I liked the previous season.

Edit: Oh, I also watched ten minutes of C3. I just forgot all about it Laughing. I think that's all you need to know.
humantyphoon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote
I watched the old hunter hunter, though it was a long time ago. I enjoyed the new one a lot.

The pace is a lot different, maybe a bit too fast. The original was on the slow side though. I am definitely wondering about whats going to happen with the next few episodes in terms of pacing. I am excited!!!
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
Carlos Santos wrote:
The live-action version of Fate/Zero will be played by popular boy band Arashi, at least if the bishonen quotient of the first episode is anything to go by.

Were we watching the same anime? Coz the only bishonen I saw in the whole mix was Waver and 2 of the servants (and well maybe Kariya...but definitely not by the end of the ep). The rests were all pretty grown-up, as in Kotetsu level mature (there's 2 guys with 9 year olds daughter and one widower and one who seems even older).

Haven't seen F/SN though having been on the internet for so long means that most twists already got spoiled...really enjoying the dark atmosphere and wonderful art so far. Very Happy

As to HunterxHunter...is it really neccessary to make it into a One Piece clone? (though everyone seems a lot cuter in the remake...)Since I just finished marathoning Yuyu Hakusho (again...) maybe I should just rewatch the old series too.

Question to people watching Majikoi, to someone who is not a harem/ecchi/eroge fan, is it still worth watchining?
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
momogoldfish wrote:
Question to people watching Majikoi, to someone who is not a harem/ecchi/eroge fan, is it still worth watchining?

At least the first episode is safe to watch. It's mostly quite decent action that you would probably enjoy more if you had played the game and actually knew who the characters are. There was no harem, but the ending kind of hints that the anime might go in that direction even though the game didn't (except by the number of girls Yamato had in love with him in True Route, but still with out the usual harem hijinks). The only fanservice that I noticed was one panty shot in a fight scene, that I didn't even notice before rewatching that scene.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
Watched the first episode of the new HxH. Before I knew this will be "alternative retelling" rather than "remake", I was disappointed that both voice actors and music will be different. But now I am glad that neither original voice actors, nor original composer are kept in this project, since it blatantly has nothing to do with anything "faithful" to the manga. Vulgarized, stripped down, shrank version with no soul.

These short pieces of heroic music when something action-related happens sound very cheap. You can not even begin to compare that to truly epic, poetic music from original HxH, which greatly contributed to the soul of the initial project:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8S2msyh2EE

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVyp-2ugZYA

3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGzOeL9bNn4

4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUkmYZJiAks

5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAIpdZR5XfM

Seriously, this could only rival the best works of all time in music (not just anime music).
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
For now, the only good thing I see from this new alternative retelling is that it might draw new, younger audience to original HxH project, which has more depth in more than one area.

However, the problem with this optimistic view is that if people see this new, mediocre, no nuances, no background complexity project, they might not really guess that there was something more in the original version -- especially since usually newer versions supposed to be better than the old versions.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That said, I enjoyed your review. It is funny you mention that about Gon's father abandoning him though, because the anime neglected to show the scene where Mito tells Gon that she lied, and that Ging never abandoned him. She herself was the one who drove Ging away. Then Gon smiles at her and tells her that he knew she was lying because she could never look him in the face when she said that.

Other than the crucial flashback (Kaito) and that scene mentioned above being missing, I enjoyed the remake. It's not as good as the original series, but I understand they're not going to reinvent the wheel, there will be changes made.

I was pretty surprised at Zac's positive reaction to the remake.

Back when the first HxH anime aired my little brother was too young to watch with me. But now he's older so we've decided to watch it together. Seems like it's aimed more at kids this time though, not that either of us really mind. There are some hilariously unintentionally funny moments in that first episode.

Poor Mito, her motherly love for Gon did come off as rather bland this time round. But the only bit I really had issue with is the exclusion of Kaito. Kaito is so awesome, one of my favourite characters despite rarely appearing at all. Kaaaiiiittttooo ;-;
humantyphoon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Vulgarized, stripped down, shrank version with no soul.

So maybe the music is not going to be as good as the original. But lets stop bashing this after only the first episode. Remember FMA: brotherhoods first episode? Yeah it was terrible. But the anime was one of the best shows I have ever seen as a whole.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
So you think they only compressed 3 episodes to 1 just for the first episode, and later they will stop doing it?

Hopefully they will stop, but after such first episode it probably makes no sense for them all of sudden be faithful to the manga.

Even more: since it is "alternative retelling", they not only can cut out lots of stuff in the further episodes, but they can also insert their own inventions and details which did not exist in the manga (or in initial anime).

So, depending on how they will handle it, things might not only not get better, but actually can turn to worse. But, of course, there is no final verdict, so we can hope -- even though this hope is not very big.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
I understand the complaints about the opening and ending, but not the BGM. Hunter x Hunter got the best music composer in the game! Yoshihisa Hirano would have been my first choice anyway--I'm glad to see that it actually happened! For those of you who've forgotten, he did the orchestrated tracks for Death Note and also did the score for Ouran. I'm pretty pleased.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 43