• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family Honors Anime Fan Killed While Serving in Iraq

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Lorraine_Kristine wrote:
Hey.. He isn't the only anime fan who died in a war.. <_<;;;

Why is he so special.. Shocked

Why is he lucky enough to get that kind of a family.. <_<;;;;

Agreed. Why is this news worthy o,o?

It's sad that he died, but there's prolly more to the guy than the fact that he was an anime fan. Pretty shallow article imo <.<
The last time I check you wasn't the one running this site. You have no right to tell them what is news worthy. Some people is not thinking like you and is actually interested in this type of story. Stop thinking about only you. If you do not want to see these type of stories then go elsewhere.
SukieNeko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
It's very sad what happened, but I think in some ways it's almost sadder that people are getting so upset about this bit of news being posted. Point is this guy died. And for (In my opinion) a stupid reason, because he was in a war. Maybe the people here bitching so much should respect the fact that he died. I really doubt this article really made your day worse did it? So what if it's on the front page? If you don't want to see it, just scroll past. Instead many are taking up more of thier time to complain. So what if many others have died in the war already? I believe every soldier deserves some sort of recognition. I'm sure that anime fan who was also a soldier would like that he was mentioned on a place like ANN. If anything, this article can make the person reading it take a step back and thank whoever that they're actually alive.

Just my two cents.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
But not every soldier was given recognition here. That is probably part of the issue. One particular soldier was.

Though it is sad that he died, I think that to be fair you should recognize all deaths or no deaths.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But not every soldier was given recognition here. That is probably part of the issue. One particular soldier was.

Though it is sad that he died, I think that to be fair you should recognize all deaths or no deaths.

I assume you are referring to the paper. Local papers are probably only going to focus on the memorials for deaths from their area, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. For thins like the Viriginia Tech shootings, papers and magazines may do something for all of the victims (at least the Houston Chronicle did, and I doubt that was abnormal), but for something like the war, well, that's just not realistic or practical. And I don't think its unfair, either.

If you mean ANN, well, we've been over that already.
mlund

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
"All deaths or no deaths," is a false dichotomy. The only real purpose it serves is to try and silence or censor reporting by putting unreasonable barriers to operation.

Most (if not all) soldiers who die in the line of duty are reported in their local newspapers. Generally, unless you subscribe to the local paper you don't get their obituaries. You might get a terse summary from the local evening news or their website that all of like two-dozen people actually read. Finding out that such a soldier was a big fan of science-fiction, extreme sports, or anime is rare find - usually a detail that is too trivial for most journalists to mention.

On the rare occasion that a site like ANN comes across a piece of information about such a soldier that is both relevant to its particular niche and timely, it is perfectly appropriate to report on it.

I seriously doubt anyone hear can provide evidence that ANN has willfully refused to run reports under similar circumstances. With just over 4,000 coalition fatalities over the last 4 years, they aren't likely to have been swamped with such reports.

- Marty Lund
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Kiyoko:
Quote:
My friend's results said that he would be best suited for Intelligence and would be stationed in either Japan or South Korea. Being a rabid anime fan, so he signed up. But after he signed, they gave him another test completely different than the first, with a very different result. He ended up being stuck in helicoptor repair (as well as the odd guard duty & inventory taking job), spent 1 year in Afghanistan, is currently stationed in Alaska, and is being shipped to Iraq next summer.

I hear they lie about the G.I. Bill, too...

Steel Angel:
Quote:
If your opening your mouth about things you have personally never experienced then keep your mouth shut, you dishonor not only this soldier but many others with your back handed comments and lack of tact for things you don't have a clue about.

I've personally met crippled and disillusioned vets getting ignored by their government. Does that count for anything?
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Poor kid. I wonder what anime figure they used...? Oh, and HitokiriShadow ftw!

Ron Paul '08 Cool

/j
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kiyoko:
Quote:
My friend's results said that he would be best suited for Intelligence and would be stationed in either Japan or South Korea. Being a rabid anime fan, so he signed up. But after he signed, they gave him another test completely different than the first, with a very different result. He ended up being stuck in helicoptor repair (as well as the odd guard duty & inventory taking job), spent 1 year in Afghanistan, is currently stationed in Alaska, and is being shipped to Iraq next summer.

I hear they lie about the G.I. Bill, too...

It sucks to end up somewhere drastically different than where you expected, but I'd feel alot more sorry for his friend if it didn't sound largely like he basically joined the army because he liked Anime and wanted to go to Japan. You can talk about them lying to you and tricking you or whatever, but really I don't think you have any buisness joining the army if aren't prepared for the possibility that you might end up going to war. Again, I do sympathise with kids who get suckered into joining. However, that really is thanks not only to the army's recriuting methods, but also to those who don't think about what they're potentially signing on for.
Kouga13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
The internet at it's best; I have to agree it's a shallow article and would have completely past it over if I hadn't noticed the potential of a blown out political argument, so close.

Now all we need to do is find the memorials for those Iraqi anime fans...and hey their funerals get hit too; man there must be loads of them.
Flame away.

But seriously this is blown out of proportion all this fuss over nothing; guess that's what happens when you hit sensitive topics.
b214

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:
Moogle-X wrote:
I've never been a big fan of the military. People join of their own free will, but I imagine rarely find what they expected.

This is espically true of my friend.

When the army recruiter came around, he had hopefuls take a "placement test" as to what they would be good at, and where they would be stationed.

My friend's results said that he would be best suited for Intelligence and would be stationed in either Japan or South Korea. Being a rabid anime fan, so he signed up.

But after he signed, they gave him another test completely different than the first, with a very different result.

He ended up being stuck in helicoptor repair (as well as the odd guard duty & inventory taking job), spent 1 year in Afghanistan, is currently stationed in Alaska, and is being shipped to Iraq next summer.

Hardly the Intelligence job in Japan/Korea that he had set his heart on when he signed on the dotted line.

That is not possible at least as of last september. If he did worse on the real test that's his doing. Placement is practice and after taking the real test you choose the jobs on the list based off your scores or you can choose to not join. I joined up for the army last September 28 and got everything I signed up for so far. there's never any guarantee of duty stations, recruiter just lied to him. I'm hoping for Japan too, but if not i'll be visiting again anyways.

Besides that, I'm disgusted in some of you. Talking about this soldiers death like it's nothing. Whether or not he should be the only one mentioned, you still give him some F*&%ing respect. What his family did in memory is what's unique and shows support for him unlike what some of you are doing now.
coyote1284

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote
Just my $0.02:

I think what really makes the story noteworthy to ANN is that an anime figure was placed on the soldier's memorial, that's all.

Sorry if it was said before, I just didn't feel like reading the whole thread.
neko ewen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Even if this one will help the anime fan community understand the issue better? When you look at all of the deaths in the Iraq war, it becomes a number too large to really fit into your heart. One guy who's "one of us" has more emotional impact than reading "3,800 dead so far" on the news. Then you can step back and say to yourself that this has happened nearly four thousand times over, just for U.S. troops.

It's that whole Monkeysphere thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken:
Quote:

It sucks to end up somewhere drastically different than where you expected, but I'd feel alot more sorry for his friend if it didn't sound largely like he basically joined the army because he liked Anime and wanted to go to Japan.

It didn't say he wanted to go to Japan. I'm sure if he did, though, I'd imagine he'd just opt for a minimum-wage job. So I'm assuming he either thought he was doing the right thing, was coerced into thinking he was doing the right thing, or, like many young people today screwed by Bush's economy, needed the money. I'm really getting tired of a war waged by draft-dodgers who aren't even willing to send their own children to fight.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
In midst of this debate of a dead American soldier was an anime fan while in Iraq and if it it seems newsworthy, I personally hope he was saved (in the religious sense). My prayers and condolences go to his friends and family.
Big K

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm really getting tired of a war waged by draft-dodgers who aren't even willing to send their own children to fight.

Are you implying that the administration should forcibly have their children join the military? IIRC, the US Armed Forces is an all-volunteer military.

It always bothers me every time I hear someone say this. Parents don't send their children to join the military. It's the child that makes that decision after, HOPEFULLY, understanding what they might get into.

I know there are members of congress who have children in the military but not because he/she said they had to join.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5