• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Persona 4: The Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
http://www.p4a.jp/chara/sub08.html

She was in the background of their class in the first episode.

No proper introduction yet.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
http://www.p4a.jp/chara/sub08.html

She was in the background of their class in the first episode.

No proper introduction yet.

Well, that's unnecessary, Persona 4 has a pretty big supporting cast as it is and they each have their own story via-Social Link, so adding more is just wasteful. I figured the supporting cast would only get so much screentime anyway, so hopefully weren't not wasting any significant time on filler, but considering the director's a huge fan of the game I think he would know better than to do that. Probably why he also wouldn't pair Yu with this new girl either for that matter.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
Napsack wrote:
Does anyone know if they plan to pair the MC with anyone yet or just leave that out. Would be a shame as it's as much a part of the game as the rest of the story is.
Chie or bust.
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Is there something wrong with the streaming at the moment? I'm in the UK and I'm being told that my region doesn't have access but I can still watch episode 1, is anybody else having the same issue?
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the US and having the same problem. After it took a half hour to log me in after it forced me to register, and let me watch the first 10 minutes before kicking me out. Glad it's not just me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote
I quite like what I'm seeing so far. Very stylish. Very atmospheric. Extremely polished. The fights look outstanding. A bit rushed in places although it's a lot worse in episode 1 than episode 2 so I don't think it will be a long term problem. The main character is rather problematic though. I mean, it's one thing for him to be bland. That's to be expected. As it is though, he's almost freakishly quiet. I know nobody wants to see them deviate from the game but I really think they ought to have reworked his character a bit. At least make him believable.
rojse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
I haven't played any of the Persona games, and I'm really liking this. The characters are interesting, the story moves along at a brisk pace without feeling overwhelming, and it occasionally puts in a well-timed joke so that the show isn't too dark. spoiler[I especially like how episode two took the seemingly cheerful and optimistic Yosuke and showed a twisted and dark take on his personality where Yosuke pretends to be nice to have friends and how other people put up with him because his father runs a major department store.]

In regards to which female the protagonist ends up with, I suspect they'll either have him not pare up with anyone or leave it ambiguous and up to the viewer for who he chooses.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
rojse wrote:
I haven't played any of the Persona games, and I'm really liking this. The characters are interesting, the story moves along at a brisk pace without feeling overwhelming, and it occasionally puts in a well-timed joke so that the show isn't too dark. spoiler[I especially like how episode two took the seemingly cheerful and optimistic Yosuke and showed a twisted and dark take on his personality where Yosuke pretends to be nice to have friends and how other people put up with him because his father runs a major department store.]

That's why I loved the game so much, it's a great character study on having to deal with parts of your life that you try to ignore or deny exist, and showing that if you try to be untrue to yourself, bad things can happen. Especially the persona and the monsters themselves. Yosuke's looks like some kind of tokusatsu hero, which reflects his desire to want to be seen as a hero and live an exciting life.

spoiler[Judging by the preview, next episode is Chie who has one of my favorite Shadows in the game and an interesting look on 'friendships']
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to watch this. I absolutely love the anime's take on spoiler[Yosuke's shadow. The game did an amazing job in revealing the darker side to his character] but I'd say that the anime did an even better job. In the game universe when a shadow goes berzerk the person that created that shadow loses consciousness, I believe because the shadow puts a great strain on their bodies.

The fact that spoiler[Yosuke] remained conscious and even continued denying the shadow was absolutely fantastic. I also loved the use of TVs in the fight and I like that they've managed to have Yu speak but give off the impression that he is the same guy I played as in the game.

I can't wait for next week with spoiler[Chie's shadow]. I loved fighting that one but I hated that it felt so tacked on to spoiler[Yukiko's shadow]. Again it's probably just my dislike for her showing through but I always felt that it deserved to be given more justice than it was.

Also did anybody else notice that Yu's courage had ranked up after gaining his persona? I wonder how they're going to use the stats or whether they literally just put the screen in to give fans of the game another reason to squee.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Gotta say, this is probably the best game to anime adaptations I've ever seen. Really enjoying it so far.

darkslayer709 wrote:
Also did anybody else notice that Yu's courage had ranked up after gaining his persona? I wonder how they're going to use the stats or whether they literally just put the screen in to give fans of the game another reason to squee.

I noticed that as well! If I remember right, there are 25 possible points (5 categories each with 5 points of aptitude), so I'm kind of guessing he'll rank one up per episode, and therefore be fully maxed in episode 26. My guess is that the personality and behavior he displays will resemble those stat ratings as well, since they're all measuring personality aspects anyway.

I wonder if they'll include (at least parts of) the social links for the other, non-PC, characters?
Panda-Lily

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
Wow i didn even know this existed!! I loved the game, great to see they have madea show, may need to watch this one ^^
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
I haven't played the game but I thought that everything looks pretty sharp. It has some decent things going for it like atmosphere. But the one thing I'm not liking is the fights which feel like a video game.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
darkslayer709 wrote:

I noticed that as well! If I remember right, there are 25 possible points (5 categories each with 5 points of aptitude), so I'm kind of guessing he'll rank one up per episode, and therefore be fully maxed in episode 26. My guess is that the personality and behavior he displays will resemble those stat ratings as well, since they're all measuring personality aspects anyway.

I was thinking that, too, until my friend reminded me that he starts at rank 1 for each.

Quote:
I wonder if they'll include (at least parts of) the social links for the other, non-PC, characters?

One of the trailers showed Daisuke and Kou, and Ai, at least, so probably.
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:

I think they will. There's quite a big gap between spoiler[Yukiko's shadow] and spoiler[Kanji's shadow] that doesn't really have a lot of plot progress since they're waiting for spoiler[ Yukiko] to recover - assuming they're going to keep that so I think there is room to touch on a few of the more popular social links or at the very least include them in as cast members.
As far as the story is concerned real progress doesn't happen until after spoiler[Rise and Teddie's shadows] which is when spoiler[King Moron dies] and when the confusion begins. The game is fantastic of course but the story doesn't really start building momentum until around that mark.
4750G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching the third episode. Narukami's Persona is very interesting. I'm still confused; has he been to the Velvet Room? I thought that old guy and young lady were talking to the audience at the start of the episodes but now I'm not so sure. Is that why Narukami knows about his Persona's abilities, or is he just the kind of protagonist who's already good right from the start of the series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11