• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Magic Begins Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
i'm guessing between Galaxy Angel and Ikki Tousen...

surprised that Robert doesn't have the body pillow with character's half naked image on it...

or it's on his bed off in the corner not seen in the pictures....

Nope, no body pillows. Sorry. Figures and boxed set DvD's is more then enough for this collector for the most part.
DuelLadyS wrote:

To the shelf-life dude... you get a nice Lum animation cel, with background- and you thumbtack it to the wall?

As to framing the Lum cell, I'm working on that, but i prefer a custom frame not some cheap oh you can get from a retail outlet known for mass produced items. It takes awhile to get things like that in. Considering i just acquired the cell it's only natural it isn't framed yet, they don't come with them after all. (Well not that are any good)

Emerje wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure that Shana stuff is fun to explain to visitors, that's why I stick mainly to robots. Anime figures is one thing, half naked girl figures and what not, not so easy.

All my friends enjoy anime as much as i do, they just have different series they collect from. So nothing to explain. Cool

loka wrote:

i'm sure he's planning to purchase this figure when it's available.

That would be correct. However, that is far from the only one, I have managed to order/preorder every licensed firgure from the series save for the black haired Azone Doll and Black Haired version of Pinky Street, at least thus far. As you can tell that collection is not yet complete, but it will be.

Sadly the reviews don't bode well. Looks like a few more series I might not bother with. Red Garden might be worth it, still might check it out at a later time.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
So the characters In Red Garden break out into song like characters in Disney movies? That's something I haven't seen in anime before.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
So the characters In Red Garden break out into song like characters in Disney movies? That's something I haven't seen in anime before.

Well, saying that the girls in Red Garden "break into song" is a bit of an overstatement in my opinion. Disney songs can be quite corny, while in RG this isn't the case. Granted the songs in RG wouldn't be considered classics like many numbers from Disney, but they sure as hell aren't painfully over-the-top like many Disney musical pieces can be sometimes.

Personally, though, I like the songs in Red Garden. Many times they go along quite well with the characters are feeling, although this aspect comes across much better subbed than dubbed. Being a dub fan, that's saying a lot. Plus, it helps to make the show even more unique than it already is, because yes, you don't see that in anime very often.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
escahime65

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I can't stand Suzuka either. I tried to watch disc 4, proud of myself that I had stuck with it through 3 discs but then I realized that I really hate all the characters; especially Suzuka. Seriously, what does he see in her? I skipped ahead trying to find something decent in each episode but there was nothing but a great wasteland of crappy teen drama. In the end I sent it back to Rentanime without watching it, something I almost never do. My suggestion: no one should spend even a minute of their life on this garbage.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Is this the Dragon Balls movie with the master Roshi that supposedly looks like Hulk Hogan? D:
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animuffin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Dear Robert George: please marry me. Thank you.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Given I'm way behind on Suzuka (hmm, maybe that's a good thing?) and I haven't gotten any of the other series, I mainly just laughed at Bamboo's fun rants and marveled at the collection pics. For the first time, I am jealous. I wish I had those wallscrolls.

Damn Geneon for dying before they could give us an art box for Shana or that last OVA with Hecate (I was holding on to the hope they'd get it somehow.) Someone better continue the release over here.

Awesome collection.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Damn Geneon for dying before they could give us an art box for Shana or that last OVA with Hecate (I was holding on to the hope they'd get it somehow.) Someone better continue the release over here.

So say we all.

Quote:
Why must the characters feel the need to sing?

Must be ADV trying to defray the cost of teaching all the VAs how to sing for Nerima. (Yes, I saw that the original has the singing too.)

Quote:
whenever I go home for the holiday, going to Best Buy means having to line up at 7PM on Thanksgiving.

They start late out where you live.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:24 am Reply with quote
I loved the last couple of Suzaka episodes on DVD 3 and almost decided to pop out the DVD on the fourth disc when they get off the train and Honoka and Yamato reunite. Honoka is so nice to Yamato and I feel so bad for her throughout the series so far. I'm afraid that Suzuka will prevail in the end since the series is named after her, but I do enjoy it when she gets jealous and is left out. I also found the Nana episodes entertaining.

I agree with those that say Zegapain feels like it lacks focus as of the first volume. I also have taken note that many fans say the series gets much better so I suppose I will tough it out. I always like stories about amateur film makers (I was hooked on Haruhi episode 1, and was sad that it didn't continue that element) but am afraid that this plot will take a backseat to the other plots as the series goes on.

I really don't understand Red Garden at all. I prefer the life after death presentation of Gantz with it's slick animation, the shoujo antics and intercharacter drama of Paradise Kiss, or the creepy girls from When They Cry over Red Garden. Red Garden just seems like a clunky mix of the ingredients from many other series that I like. The worst part about it is indeed the songs. I actually was laughing out loud in the second episode where that young guy (the older brother) is moping by himself and starts to sing that pathetic song. It just seemed so comical and ludicrous.

With so many good titles that were released in 2007 (just look at the lack of perishables) I can't recommend any of the titles reviewed this week. Just browse the last dozen Shelf Life articles and pick out one of the many other shelf worthy titles. Besides Red Garden I agree with pretty much everything (Beck, Air, Mushi-shi, Initial D, Cat's Eye, FMA, Kurau, etc.) that Bamboo gives a Shelf Worthy to. There are even a ton of titles that she placed in the rental category that I think are much better than this month's selection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3