• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion brings man to kill mother

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Nope, can't buy the motive as being for "saving the environment by riding the world of unnecessary humans".

The argument is a load of crap. Because killing 1 person isn't an effective approach unless that one person influences the behavior of millions.

The entire argument really doesn't work anyway. the environment can support the current population, it is population growth that would be the target of such efforts. The most effective tactic to reduce total human population growth would be eradication of poverty, since as countries get more developed/richer, population growth goes DOWN. Combine this with an attack on doctrines which oppose birth control and you end up with a strategy that allows for a controlled decline of human population without a failure in the controls we have for the various ways that could accidentally make the environment millions of times worse.

None of which has a damn thing to do with some 22 year old man thinking killing his mom is a good idea and actually doing it.

There is nothing worthy of respect in the perp.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:34 pm Reply with quote
FLCL made me hit my brother with a bike. Razz Is it me or is people slowly getting pretty stupid of the the past couple of years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:37 pm Reply with quote
DBZ made me shoot a Kamehameha at the moon.
rektagunn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:51 pm Reply with quote
to those people using the whole "he should be punished" rhetoric.....

just a word of caution....I understand that his trial is in Japan and I'm not exactly sure where y'all are coming from......but here in the U.S., we have a thing called, "innocent until proven guilty..."

.....and I know that you all are probably basing your judgments on that news report (and nothing else).....but let's step back for a minute and let the trial take place before people around here start acting like a lynch mob with their rhetoric, aight?

....I'm pretty sure there's more to this than what the report stated (i.e. more than the "Eva" aspect).....and I'm confident that the trial would flesh things out......
demon_swordsman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:54 pm Reply with quote
*coughbullshitcough*this guy is trying to use an anime as an excuse its pathetic.In the US they said video games and music were the cause of the columbian thing um..reality check they were picked on severly by kids and this guy problay had some serious issues.
gtarfreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:15 am Reply with quote
wow... craziness.
i didn't believe it at first 'because it was reported in mainichi but after reading the asahi article i'm a believer...

i also heard about a girl suing someone because rei "stole her boyfriend"... has anyone heard about this one?

evangelion seems to have a lot of heat surrounding it, even after all this time. i guess that is a sign of a truly great anime....

ps thanks cookie for link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:53 am Reply with quote
gtarfreak wrote:

evangelion seems to have a lot of heat surrounding it, even after all this time. i guess that is a sign of a truly great anime....
Or a truely controversial one. Wink
Kidotai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, this Chinese guy sure used that defense to no avail...
eva05

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:20 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Hmm. A lot of you seem to think killing is wrong. But I think we should be a little more technical here. I think it'd be better if we say -- it's never right to kill another HUMAN.

Actually I, like Hideaki Anno, am a vegetarian so don't lump me in with you butchers. And quite frankly humans deserve what we get far more than the animals driven through McAuschwitz or Taco Macht Frei.

I mean we make excuses for everything. God told me to kill you. Anime told me to kill you. Video games turned me into a criminal. Rap music turned me into a drug dealer. Heavy Metal made me worship the devil. Give me a break. People should be held responsible for their actions. Once in while they are.

I hope they draw and quarter this piece of ****

j
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
eva05 wrote:
Actually I, like Hideaki Anno, am a vegetarian so don't lump me in with you butchers. And quite frankly humans deserve what we get far more than the animals driven through McAuschwitz or Taco Macht Frei.

I mean we make excuses for everything. God told me to kill you. Anime told me to kill you. Video games turned me into a criminal. Rap music turned me into a drug dealer. Heavy Metal made me worship the devil. Give me a break. People should be held responsible for their actions. Once in while they are.

j

Sorry, I know not every person is an omnivore. I was just trying to make a point for people who do eat meat, which I think is a majority of the planet. But anyway, I'm not saying that it is wrong to kill humans. I mean, that's what justice is about right? And sometimes, justice involves killing. You know, to preserve the safety and sanity of others. If they hadn't killed that guy who committed that Oklahoma City bombing, do you think he might have bombed somewhere else?

But then again, it's also not right to kill (depending on the circumstances). If an innocent guy was framed, or if some other person committed murder just because something was wrong with their brain in which these people might not have had their own will to control the outcome. I guess it's hard to tell when it's right and wrong in these cases since you can't read people's minds. Oh well, I'm just trying to give dual-sided opinions here. I believe there are two sides to every idea, situation, and pretty much any other presence in the universe. I may not argue them too well, but I'll try and learn from what you guys say. Well, thanks for your comment eva05 and have a great day! Wink
I don't mean to take this off topic really but I 've always had this question on the subject of being a "vegitarian" which I can never get a logical, or common sense answer to. The question is; when, in the evolution of our species, were we not omnivors?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I don't mean to take this off topic really but I 've always had this question on the subject of being a "vegitarian" which I can never get a logical, or common sense answer to. The question is; when, in the evolution of our species, were we not omnivors?

There's a difference between the biological, instinctive and evolutionary labels of "Carnivore, Omnivore and Herbivore" and the lifestyle labels of Vegitarian, Vegan, and "normal."

In this situation, humans are Omnivores, period, and we always have been as far as I know.

But vegitarianism and Veganism are choices made by some individuals to restrict their diet in an unatural way. Humans have come a long way from an instinct based species, and we do a lot of things that aren't natural for our species. Among these, the choice not to eat meat, something that wouldn't be possible for a human living without modern technology and the access to particular foods that it brings.

Biologically speaking, although he is a vegitarian, Eva05 is still an omnivore.

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

There's a difference between the biological, instinctive and evolutionary labels of "Carnivore, Omnivore and Herbivore" and the lifestyle labels of Vegitarian, Vegan, and "normal."

In this situation, humans are Omnivores, period, and we always have been as far as I know.

But vegitarianism and Veganism are choices made by some individuals to restrict their diet in an unatural way. Humans have come a long way from an instinct based species, and we do a lot of things that aren't natural for our species. Among these, the choice not to eat meat, something that wouldn't be possible for a human living without modern technology and the access to particular foods that it brings.

Biologically speaking, although he is a vegitarian, Eva05 is still an omnivore.

-t
Thanks for all that, I do understand that it is a choice rather than an instinct. But when I've asked "veggies" what's the point? The answers have been; it's cruel, we were never meant to be meat eaters, it's not healthy to eat meat. So when I ask "why?" I get the strangest replies, too many to list here. None of which has any scientific proven fact to back them up.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Thanks for all that, I do understand that it is a choice rather than an instinct. But when I've asked "veggies" what's the point? The answers have been; it's cruel, we were never meant to be meat eaters, it's not healthy to eat meat. So when I ask "why?" I get the strangest replies, too many to list here. None of which has any scientific proven fact to back them up.

Well, there's lot's of reasons that humans do things that aren't natural.

As for "we weren't meant to eat meat" that's bollocks. Regardless of what your beliefs are regarding the origin of the species, humans are 1) built to eat meat (canine teeath & incisors) and 2) require meat in natural circumstances where we can't get a hold of alternatives that weren't commonly available in previous centuries.

But the fact that RED meat is unhealthy when compared to non-mamal meat is a scientifically proven fact.

I think the biggest reason, one that is hard to argue with, is the personal belief that many people have that killing is wrong. Sure we had no other choice before, but now we have the choice, we have the option of living without killing other living creatures.

It's logic that can't be argued with, but it's based on a belief that "killing animals unnecesarrily is wrong." Fact is, not everyone shares that belief, and others that do share it don't believe it strongly enough to be willing to give up their friday night steak for it.

BTW, I'm not vegetarian.

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

But the fact that RED meat is unhealthy when compared to non-mamal meat is a scientifically proven fact.
Is that ALL red meat, or just "too much" red meat without a balance of the other food groups as well? It has just recently been proven in a study here in the UK that children who are not eating red meat are becoming anaemic from lack of iron intake. Allegedly this study says that just eating vegetables rich in iron isn't adequate enough for growing bodies and that meat in the diet, especially red meat, with a well balanced diet is essential for good growth.
Quote:
I think the biggest reason, one that is hard to argue with, is the personal belief that many people have that killing is wrong. Sure we had no other choice before, but now we have the choice, we have the option of living without killing other living creatures.
But isn't a plant a living creature too?

Quote:
It's logic that can't be argued with, but it's based on a belief that "killing animals unnecesarrily is wrong." Fact is, not everyone shares that belief, and others that do share it don't believe it strongly enough to be willing to give up their friday night steak for it.

BTW, I'm not vegetarian.

-t
Neither am I for those who couldn't tell. Laughing
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:45 pm Reply with quote
This thread has wandered way off topic and I'm locking it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9