• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion brings man to kill mother

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Oops, you're right. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Still it's a lame argument, do they have nothing better against him?
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Hmm, a lot of people seem to be thinking that the Eva statements are a part of the kids deffence. They aren't; the prosecution brought up the fact that he was influenced by Eva.

People are thinking it's the defense because....well...it's a statement of defense. ("I did killed the neighbors because my dog told me to so I'm not responsible.") I wonder where the prosecution is going with this line of thinking. It shifts the focus from the accused to a third party....making him look guiltless. (Well, not 'guiltless' but 'not guilty.') I don't know all that much about Japanese law though...maybe the prosecution has to prove the guy insane or something....it's weird.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that I can think of is perhaps a mis-translation (Highly unlikely) or perhaps this is what the individual said in their defense to the prosectution and the prosectution is repeating this a part of their case against the individual.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I know this is a bit OT, but I think its an interesting fact. Did you know that they still hang people in Japan?
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:08 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
I know this is a bit OT, but I think its an interesting fact. Did you know that they still hang people in Japan?

It only suprises me a little. The last hanging I heard about happened 13 years ago somewhere in Eastern Asia.

If he is guilty (I guess he could have be protecting himself...nah) the he should get the death penalty.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk:
Quote:
I believe there is a similar type of case being heard in the US involving the Matrix movies, is there not?

Columbine kids. Of course, the irony is the Matrix respected women and minorities, when the killers did not.

Quote:
The question is what was the catalyst that caused this idea to form in his head that he was " doing the planet a favour" and begin with his mother? Definately an insanity plea.

And the guy who came up with the show was sane?

MissHanyan:
Quote:
I've seen Eva and while it did make me feel depressed, it didn't make me want to bludgeon my parents to death with a baseball bat

Just jerk off on and choke women? ^_-

Samurai:
Quote:
Why can't people tell right from wrong?

Because Evangelion and Anno can't either?

Lum:
Quote:
I don't believe videogame, TV shows or anything like that can really MAKE a person kill somebody. With or without Eva, he would've killed his mom most likely anyways.

Normally, I'd agree, but then I've seen a few Evangelion fans in my day, and they tend to remind me of those guys who bomb abortion clinics. (No offense to Zac.) Though at least they're just mis-applying a 2000 year old document written by different scholars in their daily lives. Anno doesn't have an excuse.

Tony K:
Quote:
About a year ago, I did a research paper on Grand Theft Auto 3 and how material like this and other forms of violent entertainment should be controlled.

Although GTA doesn't really take itself very seriously. I mean when you think about it, they make it very easy for your lead character to get caught by the police compared to other games. Even Battle Royale(at least the movie) doesn't try to make a distinction between right and wrong. All I get from Evangelion is being a violent [edited - no swearing, that includes swearwords with letters *'s out -t] is the only way to be in control. Anyway, at least Anno won't be ripping off otaku again with a "hyper edition director's cut" for a while anymore.
Bakafool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:16 pm Reply with quote
This guy is nuts. What a dumbass.
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:32 pm Reply with quote
What's that Shinji? Kill everybody on the forums....

seriously, what a dumbass. If he had a mental problem, yeah he may have seen it that way, but he's still going to spend a long time in prison, maybe turn into a twinkie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, in honor of the real End of Evangelion, check out flash parodies at http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=104053 and http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=44243.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, I wonder if the show will have similar initial antagonism in the U.S. that Pokemon had because of the epilepsy incident, and then become uber popular to the point that people are going to wish it never existed. (1/2 ain't bad.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

And the guy who came up with the show was sane?

Are you saying Anno is a manic depressive with homicidal delusions?

Me too Laughing

I'd bet the prosecutor saw EVA too and is out to nail Anno for it with anything that might stick. Laughing
Yoshball

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:23 pm Reply with quote
You know, just because he got the idea about human kind as a disease from a show does not mean he is mentally ill. I read books and get ideas how human kind is a bad influence on the earth and it influences my thought process. This man could have been influenced by NGE as priests are convinced of preisthood by reading stripture. Most forms of media are meant to influence the audience. This man took that influence to place most of us would not go. That does not mean he is crazy.

Just becaus he killed his mother also does not make him automatically crazy. He might have carefully planned and executed this action with forethought and knowledge of consequences. That makes you sane in my book. Ted Kazinski (Unabomber) was a college professor but still decided to send letter bombs to businesses because he believed that corporations were to be the down fall of society. A smart guy who used a different form of logic that made killing people okay.
rektagunn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Yoshball wrote:
You know, just because he got the idea about human kind as a disease from a show does not mean he is mentally ill. I read books and get ideas how human kind is a bad influence on the earth and it influences my thought process. This man could have been influenced by NGE as priests are convinced of preisthood by reading stripture. Most forms of media are meant to influence the audience. This man took that influence to place most of us would not go. That does not mean he is crazy.

Just becaus he killed his mother also does not make him automatically crazy. He might have carefully planned and executed this action with forethought and knowledge of consequences. That makes you sane in my book. Ted Kazinski (Unabomber) was a college professor but still decided to send letter bombs to businesses because he believed that corporations were to be the down fall of society. A smart guy who used a different form of logic that made killing people okay.

you're dealing with semantics.....I think most people attach insanity with some moral standard out there....and if a schizophrenic carefully laid out his plans for world domination, I would consider that insane...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:50 pm Reply with quote
MissHanyan:
Quote:
I've seen Eva and while it did make me feel depressed, it didn't make me want to bludgeon my parents to death with a baseball bat

GATSU wrote:
Just jerk off on and choke women? ^_-

>.> Really Gatsu, not everyone thinks with a penis.

Samurai:
Quote:
Why can't people tell right from wrong?

GATSU wrote:
Because Evangelion and Anno can't either?

First off, when has Anno stated that Eva is an example of his of what he thinks is right from wrong? Eva is, in my interpretation, one hell of a ride through the human psyche. It's not meant to be a guide, it was meant to be a form of entertainment that got you thinking about issues of what being human is.

I believe one of the main issues throughout Eva addressed was that in certain situations, what is right from wrong is never clear. Eva just showed that deep down, instinct has different rules for this, and that anything goes. The story was mainly about people fighting god, and pretty much anyone religious would find that wrong to begin with, but then again Eva is about survival. Technically, the "right thing to do" in Eva would of been for them all to just sit down and face God's judgment. Is just accepting the end really right? That's a personal question, and like Eva showed, people have their own opinions.

Like Mentioned with Battle Royale, people in desperate situations result to desperate measures. The rules of society are gone, and Dawin's "survival of the fittest" kick in. In some cases, it's killed or be killed. Yeah Shinji flipped out that one time and began strangling Asuka, but really, it's not like Anno flashed in big bright letters that "This is right! Go strangle people that piss you off!" All the characters obviously had mental problems, and if you're going to base what's right and wrong off them, you need to see a psychiatrist. These were people pushed to their limits with the fate of mankind on their shoulders. In that situation, who really has the right to say what is right and what is wrong?

And finishing this up, correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware of, mankind is not getting attacked by Angels from the heavens, and we are not fighting them back with mentally disturbed children.

Lum:
Quote:
I don't believe videogame, TV shows or anything like that can really MAKE a person kill somebody. With or without Eva, he would've killed his mom most likely anyways.

GATSU wrote:
Normally, I'd agree, but then I've seen a few Evangelion fans in my day, and they tend to remind me of those guys who bomb abortion clinics. (No offense to Zac.) Though at least they're just mis-applying a 2000 year old document written by different scholars in their daily lives. Anno doesn't have an excuse.

That there is called sterotyping, and I consider my self an Evangelion fan, and I can assure you I have no feelings whatsoever to go bomb abortion clinics. It's not like every Eva fan thinks of Evangelion as a religion to follow. I'm sure many people on this board can explain that to you. And Anno doesn't have an excuse? He doesn't have an excuse for what? Expressing himself? Please.

GATSU wrote:
All I get from Evangelion is being a violent [edited - no swearing, that includes swearwords with letters *'s out -t] is the only way to be in control.

And there we have an explination to why you have such intresting views on Evangelion, and Evangelion fans.

GATSU wrote:
Now that I think about it, I wonder if the show will have similar initial antagonism in the U.S. that Pokemon had because of the epilepsy incident, and then become uber popular to the point that people are going to wish it never existed. (1/2 ain't bad.)

I'm wondering now that if this gets out to the US around the time the movie comes out, and if ADV was planning a nationwide theater release, well then parents may be boycotting the movie. >.>

This whole incident is just... horrible. I personally don't believe that a person can blame something like a tv show for this kind of action. Like people have pointed out, Columbine. People afterwards tried to start blaming things such as Marlin Manson since that's what the kids listened too.

People interpret things differently, and that person has to be messed up to begin with to go from seeing Eva to thinking "I'll go kill my mother now."

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Bunch.

Of.

Crap.

It sickens me when I hear how people try to blame various media or artists for their actions. The small-minded are always dangerous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9