• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion brings man to kill mother

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:53 pm Reply with quote
AnimeHeretic wrote:
Samurai CDZ wrote:
Oops, you're right. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Still it's a lame argument, do they have nothing better against him?

Well, they have MURDER against him...

So they should use that argument and not blame an anime. But it is a different court system so who knows...

Kidotai wrote:
*snicker* Your serious, right?

Cosndiering how kids are today, do you even think parents are even giving a flying rat's pootang to raising their kids right?

I think that most of them do care, it's just that the parents lives are so filled with problems they don't give enough attention to their kids. It's unintentional.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I agree. Skull makes a valid point. Before 18 I think parents should know what their kids are looking at, simply by asking the kids. After 18 it is not the parents responsibility. They can say something, but it out of their hands.

I think kids and parents need to know that anime is just entertainment. This may sound stupid, but some people still don't know.

One crazy fan should not represent anime fans as a whole. I am sure most creators (including myself) will re-evaluate the way they present their work.

This will not go away.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
FYI, it was Charles Manson who blamed that song on his killings. (Ironically, most people thought another song on the album-Revolution #9-would be dangerous.) Anyway, while you can't be responsible for what people do, I do believe it's your responsibility to make people aware of the material you're exposing them to, not to mention making yourself aware of the material you're showing them.

For your information I already knew that. And by the way, I agree that you should make people aware of contents of some song and movie (hey what the movie ratings are for) but it cannot be applied to all songs and anime series (I mean you don't suppose that there must be sticker that says "Warning: Sad Anime! with "apocalyptic elements", do you?).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Gatsu's been asked not to discuss the topic of Evangelion any more, so it's not really fair to ask him about it, now is it?
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Manson never said he killed anybody because of a cool Beatles song. He stated that one of his "family" wrote (and mispelled) the song title on the wall in a fit of enthusiasm. Not because the song inspired the killings, but because she really liked the song.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Gatsu's been asked not to discuss the topic of Evangelion any more, so it's not really fair to ask him about it, now is it?

I didn't know about that (haven't read all the replies to this thread). By the way I don't think that Gatsu should be prevented from posting in this forum. Just because the majority of us diagrees with him it still doesen't mean he should stop posting.
Just my 50 yens.
Syker 07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I would just like to reiterate an important point that I see a lot of people might be missing.

The defendant is not using Evangelion as a scapegoat for the murder. The prosecution is using the influence of Evangelion as a major point in their case against the defendant.

There's a world of difference there.

Syker Seven
neootaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:07 am Reply with quote
What the hell is the world comming to?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:48 am Reply with quote
neootaku wrote:
What the hell is the world comming to?

The Impact. Twisted Evil
Dave M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:02 am Reply with quote
Syker 07 wrote:
I would just like to reiterate an important point that I see a lot of people might be missing.

The defendant is not using Evangelion as a scapegoat for the murder. The prosecution is using the influence of Evangelion as a major point in their case against the defendant.

There's a world of difference there.

Syker Seven

That's the wierd part. Why the heck would they do that? Makes me wonder if they are lacking a good case and searching for anything they can possibly use.

Throwing everything about the anime itself aside, using the series as part of the prosecution seems.. well, silly. Does that mean they are lacking good evidence? I mean, if there is a good package of evidence, establishment of motive is a bit less important,
Syker 07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:15 pm Reply with quote
That seemed really strange to me, too, Dave.

But remember, this is a completely different legal system at work, there might be a very good reason. Or maybe someone's building presedence to use against something else *shrugs*

I dunno.
gtarfreak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:08 pm Reply with quote
the article was reporting by the mainichi, and they're basically about as reliable as any tabloid in the states. i've heard them write about mother having sex with their kids as a reward for good test scores.... obviously this whole evangelion thing isnt something i would believe too easily unless i saw it reported by another paper. ANN should really check their sources before posting ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ryuko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:15 pm Reply with quote
gtarfreak wrote:
i've heard them write about mother having sex with their kids as a reward for good test scores....

I'm wondering where you have proof that this doesn't happen. Because that's the only way you would be able to prove your point about the Mainichi being a bad paper.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:24 pm Reply with quote
gtarfreak wrote:
the article was reporting by the mainichi, and they're basically about as reliable as any tabloid in the states. i've heard them write about mother having sex with their kids as a reward for good test scores...

Wow! My mom just let me rent movies for good grades. Japanese moms rock!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Syker 07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:26 pm Reply with quote
*Starts to say something* *Doesn't*

Wow...

*Just...walks away*
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9