• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: America's Sci Fi Channel Adds Anime on Tuesdays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akichan911

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This is good news. I was hoping for an opprotunity to record/buy Read or Die. And why not check out the other movies that are going to be on? Very Happy
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
MageofFire wrote:
Hmm is the fourth episode of Hellsing Ultimate out? If it isn't oh well I have the manga up to volume 8 to satisfy myself with until episode 4 does come out...

The 4th episode probably won't be out for a long time since it's a Geneon title. But it's probably been dubbed and they show stuff on TV before it's available on DVD all the time.
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
On a serious note, I hope they put Zeiram on one day.

Seconded! There's a rubber suite monster movie I can get behind. I haven't seen it since ran it back in the 90's and I'd love to see it again.

That line up for their Monday/Tuesdays looks a bit much though. That's pretty much all of Manga's catalogue, isn't it? What are they going to run for the rest of the year..?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
MageofFire wrote:
Hmm is the fourth episode of Hellsing Ultimate out? If it isn't oh well I have the manga up to volume 8 to satisfy myself with until episode 4 does come out...

The 4th episode probably won't be out for a long time since it's a Geneon title. But it's probably been dubbed and they show stuff on TV before it's available on DVD all the time.

Yeah, I guess it is possible. If I recall correctly the dub apparentlly had been completed (I might be thinking of something else though.) I would believe it if it was something that was not out yet but still expected to be released in the future. The situation with Geneon makes me really skeptical that they would be able to get this all put together and aranged.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Actually they showed The Guyver early in the mornig a few weeks ago as well. I remember flipping through and that is what I fell asleep to. But I had to turn it off because I couldn't stop laughing.

On a serious note, I hope they put Zeiram on one day.

Hopefully this increase in schedule space will also translate into an increase in catalog.

IRIA is a great classic.One of the first to be turned into DVD format,back in the day.
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

And bahaha I thought Guyver was a decent movie. It had Luke Skywalker in it (too bad he wasn't the Guyver himself) and a cool Guyver costume, and less-cool-looking-but-at-least-funny-enough-to-make-you-laugh bad guy monster costumes. And silly rubber suit fighting action. Not a masterpiece achievement but wasn't it a laughably entertaining cheesy show? I'd much rather watch shows like The Guyver than 95% of the random movies out today that deal with...uh, I'm not sure what most movies are about but they are boring as heck I'm pretty sure. Anything without monsters, ninjas, superheroes, aliens, mutant turtles, etc, or at least big eye anime girls in it doesn't appeal to me. I'll never watch any movie that has only boring real people in it.

Hm? I never knew there was a second Guyver movie, cool. I doubt I'd go out of my way to watch it but if it were free on TV I'd certainly tune in. How is the Guyver anime series by the way? I'd seen the OAVs long ago and thought they were good (though I no longer remember what they were like in the slightest). But the TV series pics and trailers look really cheap so I haven't been willing to take the risk on buying the series. Plus, the only other recent OLM production I've bought was Phantom Blade Shin Angyo Onshi, and that was totally awful and cheap-looking. Looks just like the pictures on the Guyver DVDs. I was hoping that Phantom Blade was gonna prove me wrong and allow me to buy The Guyver but instead the opposite happened.

The second Guyver movie was kind of lame. Okay, but a bit lame. As for the OVA series, I have the original 13 on both VHS and DVD. They were good. Haven't seen the new series, but it looks like they just made a better version of the original cartoons.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
FMPhoenixHawk wrote:
Porcupine wrote:

And bahaha I thought Guyver was a decent movie. It had Luke Skywalker in it (too bad he wasn't the Guyver himself) and a cool Guyver costume, and less-cool-looking-but-at-least-funny-enough-to-make-you-laugh bad guy monster costumes. And silly rubber suit fighting action. Not a masterpiece achievement but wasn't it a laughably entertaining cheesy show? I'd much rather watch shows like The Guyver than 95% of the random movies out today that deal with...uh, I'm not sure what most movies are about but they are boring as heck I'm pretty sure. Anything without monsters, ninjas, superheroes, aliens, mutant turtles, etc, or at least big eye anime girls in it doesn't appeal to me. I'll never watch any movie that has only boring real people in it.

Hm? I never knew there was a second Guyver movie, cool. I doubt I'd go out of my way to watch it but if it were free on TV I'd certainly tune in. How is the Guyver anime series by the way? I'd seen the OAVs long ago and thought they were good (though I no longer remember what they were like in the slightest). But the TV series pics and trailers look really cheap so I haven't been willing to take the risk on buying the series. Plus, the only other recent OLM production I've bought was Phantom Blade Shin Angyo Onshi, and that was totally awful and cheap-looking. Looks just like the pictures on the Guyver DVDs. I was hoping that Phantom Blade was gonna prove me wrong and allow me to buy The Guyver but instead the opposite happened.

The second Guyver movie was kind of lame. Okay, but a bit lame. As for the OVA series, I have the original 13 on both VHS and DVD. They were good. Haven't seen the new series, but it looks like they just made a better version of the original cartoons.

Guyver 2 :the dark hero was weak,but it stared David Hayter as the Guyver(the voice of Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid).It also had a crazyspoiler[Guyver-Zoanoid hybrid.]
MageofFire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
MageofFire wrote:
Hmm is the fourth episode of Hellsing Ultimate out?

No its not. Clearly this is a mistake. I believe the is either out or soon to be released in Japan. However, with the state Geneon it is currently on indefinite hiatus here.

There is no way they could be airing it. They must either mean just the 3 episodes or perhaps the signature series.

Wow. I hope it's coming out soon in that case.

EDIT: What is the situation with Geneon?
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
It would take approximately three hours to air all of Hellsing Ultimate, does Stars even make that much time available for anime in a given block? And really, it's impossible for HU episode four to air, the Japanese release of the episode is a few weeks after this scheduled airing. Seeing as how it took Geneon six months to release episode three I doubt they even saw the episode before shutting down, let alone had time to translate and dub it.

In all fairness the old Guyver movies are better than half the modern tripe that Sci-Fi airs regularly.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cardcaptor_yue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Sweet X the movie or possibly the series, is getting some sci-fi love.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It would take approximately three hours to air all of Hellsing Ultimate, does Stars even make that much time available for anime in a given block?

I suspect that "four episodes of Hellsing Ultimate on February 11 and 18" indicates a 1-2 broadcast on the 11th and a 3-4 broadcast on the 18th"
Quote:
And really, it's impossible for HU episode four to air, the Japanese release of the episode is a few weeks after this scheduled airing. Seeing as how it took Geneon six months to release episode three I doubt they even saw the episode before shutting down, let alone had time to translate and dub it.

Questionable yes, but not impossible. At Oni-con in October, Taliesin Jaffe explicitly stated that he had completed the English language dub for Hellsing Ultimate IV, so it does exist. There's nothing to prevent Geneon from making their license available for broadcast even if they've gotten out of the DVD business.

This raises two somewhat interesting considerations. One is the fact that if IV really does release in Japan on Feb. 22, then it is entirely possible that we could see it in the US 4 days before Japanese buyers get their hands on it. The other is the spectre of a glimmer of hope that the Starz relationship could indicate anything about the possibility of Manga Entertainment picking the title up for DVD distribution.
Stinna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Hellsing Ultimate... I did a search on Starz website of the Schedule. Sure enough it's listed as Hellsing Ultimate I and II on the 11th with the correct running times listed. And, Hellsing Ultimate III and IV on the 18th.

http://www.starz.com/appmanager/seg/s?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=movie_detail&vid=3034630&eid=4&serviceCode=STZ8&startDate=2008-02-19+01_00_00
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
FMPhoenixHawk wrote:
Porcupine wrote:

The second movie was the better of the two movies, though.

I, as well, have the original OVA on DVD. While it was good, the new series has much better animation. Not to mention it takes the story MUCH farther than the OVA did.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Guyver 2 :the dark hero was weak,but it stared David Hayter as the Guyver(the voice of Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid)

Yes, a point I clearly made on the previous page. Very Happy

In all fairness, he did a really good acting job in the movie, too. The movie wasn't that great (in the history of sci-fi movies, I mean), but David Hayter's acting stood out a great deal. He clearly understood the source material, as well (Which isn't surprising at all, really, considering he's done anime voice work, and watches anime, too. I'd be really surprised if he wasn't a member of this site, somewhere Very Happy).

Emerje wrote:
In all fairness the old Guyver movies are better than half the modern tripe that Sci-Fi airs regularly.

I agree. Alot of the Made for Sci-Fi channel movies I see these days are just crap. Weak plots, riddled with, often times, bad special effects (and TONS of them, too. There is such a thing as overuse).

Sci-Fi channel, to my knowledge, airs Guyver and Guyver 2 maybe once or twice a year, for both. I've also seen them air the live action Fist of The North Star movie (which I own on DVD with both Guyver movies).

I'm actually more surprised that they've never shown G-Saviour, the live action Gundam movie. While it wasn't the best thing ever, the mobile suit special effects were pretty good for its time (and its budget). I figure something like that would be right up Sci-Fi channel's alley, but still, not there. >_>

I also think it'd be interesting if Sci-Fi started showing some foreign Sci-Fi movies, with subtitles or a dub track (Though I would prefer the subtitles), then they could expand into showing some asian sci-fi once a week. Very Happy
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to agree with a statement said earlier.

It's going to be better than watching Adult Swim repeats every week. I only look forward to AS on Saturday anyway.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Emerje wrote:
It would take approximately three hours to air all of Hellsing Ultimate, does Stars even make that much time available for anime in a given block?

I suspect that "four episodes of Hellsing Ultimate on February 11 and 18" indicates a 1-2 broadcast on the 11th and a 3-4 broadcast on the 18th"
Quote:
And really, it's impossible for HU episode four to air, the Japanese release of the episode is a few weeks after this scheduled airing. Seeing as how it took Geneon six months to release episode three I doubt they even saw the episode before shutting down, let alone had time to translate and dub it.

Questionable yes, but not impossible. At Oni-con in October, Taliesin Jaffe explicitly stated that he had completed the English language dub for Hellsing Ultimate IV, so it does exist. There's nothing to prevent Geneon from making their license available for broadcast even if they've gotten out of the DVD business.

This raises two somewhat interesting considerations. One is the fact that if IV really does release in Japan on Feb. 22, then it is entirely possible that we could see it in the US 4 days before Japanese buyers get their hands on it. The other is the spectre of a glimmer of hope that the Starz relationship could indicate anything about the possibility of Manga Entertainment picking the title up for DVD distribution.

Then that's a promising prospect on all accounts. I guess it shouldn't be a huge surprise that Geneon is still operating at some sort of capacity. After all they did just recently air Le Portrait de Petit Cossette on Fuse in December, over two months after they ended DVD distribution.

Unfortunately Starz isn't available to me.

Emerje

(Sorry for the excessive quote, didn't feel like parsing through it.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3