• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Holiday Albums

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:07 am Reply with quote
So what's your favorite holiday music? Anything goes--anime, jpop, whatever. I've got three so far:

Nat King Cole Christmas
Mannheim Steamroller Christmas 1984
Sailor Stars Merry Christmas (^_^)

Last edited by jmays on Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:26 am; edited 2 times in total
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:12 am Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of Christmas music in general, but I do like the Ukranian Carol of the Bells. Anime-wise...I like that Love Hina Christmas song from the Love Hina Xmas Special.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:23 am Reply with quote
Grandma got run over by a reindeer and Jingle Bells. Nothing beats the classics. Anime smile
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:31 am Reply with quote
My family has a rather...interesting taste in Christmas music. A few years ago, we went on this downloading spree for odd comedy Christmas songs, parodies (Black Sabbath's "Iron Man," only..."I. AM. SANTA. CLAUS!"), and generally anything..."off kilter" (as in KoRn doing "Jingle Bells"), and burned it all to CD. Funny stuff.

I also love South Park's unique spin on Christmas music...personal favourites being "Christmastime in Hell" and "Merry F*cking Christmas." Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

On a more serious note, I'm loving what I'm hearing of that...Trans-Siberian Orchestra? Is that what they're called? I need to track down some of their CDs.

I haven't heard very many anime Christmas songs, sadly. I have heard one though from Tenchi Muyo!...a Mihoshi/Washuu duet called "Necessary & Sufficient Conditions for Love."

EDIT: Oh yeah! And the barking dogs doing "Jngle Bells"...can't beat that (there's also a version with kittens Shocked ). And Porky Pig doing "Blue Christmas." Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:35 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
On a more serious note, I'm loving what I'm hearing of that...Trans-Siberian Orchestra? Is that what they're called? I need to track down some of their CDs.

Ooh, forgot about them...and I even have one of their CDs. I don't know about their other releases, but "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" is definitely a good one.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:37 am Reply with quote
Anything as long as it doesn't involve bagpipes. Confused

Trust me on this one.

Quote:
Grandma got run over by a reindeer

That's my favorite song. Very Happy
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:46 am Reply with quote
The only songs I hear every holiday are from my little sister's Christmas school play songs. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Brings back memories...
Tufriast Fastaggro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:55 am Reply with quote
Ayumi Hamasaki for teh win!

/kickstarts his winamp....

Fly High.MP3

Decorate the tree to that and I gurantee you'll do it like 100x faster...

Or , just drink some egg nogg and enjoy.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:05 am Reply with quote
South Park: Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics whose songs I find more amusing than the songs from the movie... though a little sad, because Mary Kay Bergman, the original voice of most of the female characters, sang her parts just days before commiting suicide.

The Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer soundtrack, featuring Burl Ives.

Boney M: The 20 Greatest Christmas Songs

The Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack, which isn't quite a Christmas soundtrack in and of itself, though the film was a Christmas-season-released Oscar hopeful, but, as with Wes Anderson's previous film, Rushmore, it features the vocal version of "Christmas Time is Here" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio from A Charlie Brown Christmas, whose soundtrack I don't have.

Joy to the World - The Music of Christmas by Empire Brass.

I've looked for Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas albums, since I like their Christmas "bumper music" which Rush Limbaugh always plays, me being one of the tiny minority of Canadians who listen to his show, but I just can't find too much of Mannheim Steamroller in Montreal... the one CD I have is The Christmas Angel with a vocal story over the music. I like their version of that Spanish (or is it Mexican) tune "The Fishes in the River". Rush, before he lost his hearing and got the implants (which don't pick up music too well), liked "Patapan", which is a French song we had to sing in elementary school for the radio.

My first anime Christmas album, and the one I like best overall, is... and I bet you didn't see this one coming... the Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Oh Ki Christmas Album, which has my favourite Tenchi Muyo "image" song, "Koi Wa Sessho ya Omahen ka!", performed by Yumi Takada as a drunken Princess Ayeka. I also like Chisa Yokoyama as Sasami singing the Japanese version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus". And, the drama tracks are about the easiest to follow for any of the Japanese Tenchi albums due to all the atmospheric sound effects used.

I also have the second Sailor Moon Christmas album (that's right, there were two of them), and, what's notable about this one is that every one of the western Christmas songs from the Tenchi album, except for "Sleigh Ride", which was just instrumental, is on this one, sometimes with the same lyrics, like "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer", other times with different lyrics, as with an alternate Japanese version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", here sung by Rika Fukami as Minako Aino (Venus). What some people know this album for is a version of "When the Saints Come Marching In" performed by Kotono Mitsuishi as Usagi Tsukino (Moon), with one of the verses sung hideously in English. Emi Shinohara sings a pleasant Japanese version of Mel Tormé's "Christmas Song" ("Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire"). My favorite tracks on that album are sung by Michie Tomizawa as Rei Hino (Mars)... a jazzy version of the Japanese version of "When You Wish Upon a Star", which is, of course, from the Disney Pinocchio film and has nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas but nevermind, and a cover of WHAM!/George Michael's "Last Christmas" sung in English... which is... umm... interesting. "Tell me baby/Do you lecognize me? Well, it's been a year, it doesn't supplies me!" (Yes, honestly, it sounds like she says "Supplies" instead of "Suprise", which is, of course, very, very wrong to find amusing. Even if you remember the "Supplies" closet joke in U.H.F..)

The other anime Christmas CD I have is the Cardcaptor Sakura: Tomoeda Elementary school Chorus Christmas Concert, which is presented as a Christmas concert done for the radio, exactly like we did at Edgewater elementary school in the 1980s, complete with the noise of the crowd noise dying down and the chimes indicating the start and finish of the concert. The appropriately-named Sakura Tange as Sakura Kinomoto doesn't appear on this album at all, so the concert features Junko Iwao as Tomoyo Daidouji as well as, as far as I can tell, a lot of actual children doing the singing. Most of the seven songs in this mini-album were either written for this album or are Japanese-language Christmas (or maybe just festive) songs, with the only western song being a Japanese-language version of Handel's "Joy to the World".

I made a mix-album of much of the above, bookended by "Last Christmas" as sung by Rei Hino and the original version sung by George Michael (from WHAM's Music from the Edge of Heaven CD).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrianC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:19 am Reply with quote
Some of my favorite holiday songs are:

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
Jingle Bell Rock
The Chipmunk Christmas Song
Sesshoumaru sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:21 am Reply with quote
BrianC wrote:
Some of my favorite holiday songs are:

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
Jingle Bell Rock
The Chipmunk Christmas Song

I used to have that evil Twisted Evil Chipmunk Christmas tape.
DCRavenX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:35 am Reply with quote
I really don't like christmas and I usually find christmas music anoying, but I kind of like White Christmas by Bing Crosby
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:36 am Reply with quote
Im gonna have to say "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" and "Jingle Bell Rock" also. Carol of the Bells, and any other x-mas classics, Im easy going.

I dont know if "My December" by Linkin Park counts but there is an amv with clips of the Love Hina X-Mas Special and it goes very well with it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:46 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I also like the original "A Very Special Christmas", with various tracks including "Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)" from U2, "Santa Baby" from Madonna, "Christmas in Hollis" from Run DMC, and "Run, Rudolph, Run" from Bruce Springsteen, except I only have it on vinyl and I'm too intimidated to touch our record player anymore since I don't want to break anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:49 am Reply with quote
Best song is definitely Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. A true classic.

I'm tempted to mention Stan Writes Santa, but it stands better as a parody. Of course, it IS the best Eminem spoof ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2