• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Learning how to animate.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I was a small child, watching Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball, and therafter Pokemon and so forth. I've always enjoyed anime. And now that I'm in high school and the presure to pick a career and such has risen. I have long been thinking of getting into the animation business. I'm actually in Gr. 12 but I'm planning to stay an extra year and with that extra year I'm hoping that a Co-Op placement can benefit this pursuit.

The good news, there are placements out there but many of them require you to have some sort of experience. Yes, it's a bit odd since the idea is to learn how to animate with the latest and greatest animation tools used by the professionals, but that isn't a problem. Recently, I got PhotoShop and I've been trying to master it. I know that it's a very good program as a whole but it can also benefit me in the world of animation. However, that may not be enough.

So I come here and ask, what are some good programs the deal with animating, that I could start "training" with to at least have more of an idea of things for next year. It's been suggested to me previously to find Adobe Flash and a program known as Toon Boom Studio. If by any chance you can give a bit of info on these and suggest whether or not these are ideal choices then please tell me.

Also, if there are any other useful programs or anything else that can benefit my pursuit. please share your wisdom.

Thanks in Advance.
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
There's a program called Anime Studio which is worth a look. Despite its name it's not specifically geared towards Japanese-style animation, but it's a good all-rounder for getting to grips with things. Flash (and, from what I've heard, Toon Boom) are quite a bit fiddlier to use, and more expensive to boot.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime Studio? I wonder ifs made by the same people who created Manga Studio 3.0.
MonkeyFunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Sort of - E-frontier, who own Manga Studio, came up with the title "Anime Studio". Before they bought it up it was called Moho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1