• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Angel Sanctuary DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
UKfan wrote:
I have to say though that if any manga deserved being made into a full blown TV series Angel Sanctuary does...

I'm with you all the way...

This OAV's quality isn't bad as such but if they are going to animate the full series I'd want a studio like Madhouse to do it. No one can complain about their anime adaptations Very Happy .

It's nice to keep on dreaming...

Quote:
...another poster noted doesn't display any type of grasp on Christianity beyond the most superficial of concepts...
Kaori Yuki isn't trying to make her story bear any sort of resemblence to Christianity. There's very little mention of it (apart from the names) in Angel Sanctuary.The story maintains that what's written in the bible is made up by humans for their own convenience so there's no need for any extensive, historically/religiously correct concepts to be present nor do her characters have to conform to such concepts. She had good reason to diverge form Christianity as we know it. In this respect I enjoy AS much more than I do the likes of Chrono Crusade.

Of course, this fact means that AS is unpalatable to the more sensitive-minded but hey, it's a work of fiction and it's obviously not meant for everyone.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've seen ANY anime that has much of a grasp on Christianity. They mostly get the vengeance stuff, but most I've seen seems to not grasp the loving nature the Christian god is supposed to entail. such titles as Devilman & this one usually sees more sympathy for demons. (yeah, maybe in part due to Christianity's knack for naming every other religion's gods false, including Japan's native religion)

Do you see 2 guys in be?

No.

You don't have to have sex in a yaoi title. I would definitely say there are undercurrents (Katan's devotion to Rosiel. Kira's devotion to Setsuna) which throw it into the decidedly slashable field (Isn't it Robot where some of the girls turn male so it's yuri with an asterisk? I've just seen people complain. We get that gender-change stuff in yaoi also) Here you have an incestuous (one-sided-Rosiel to Alexiel) relationship carried over to the new (male, hense yaoi) incarnation. You have a new incestuous relationship involving the formerly female Alexiel & her current male incarnation Setsuna to his/her sister (thus the love can be seen as yuri. One's perspective is one's perspective. Look at all the people having sex-changes because they're born the wrong gender to where their head is at)
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
nightmaregenie wrote:

Quote:
Kaori Yuki isn't trying to make her story bear any sort of resemblence to Christianity. There's very little mention of it (apart from the names) in Angel Sanctuary.The story maintains that what's written in the bible is made up by humans for their own convenience so there's no need for any extensive, historically/religiously correct concepts to be present nor do her characters have to conform to such concepts. She had good reason to diverge form Christianity as we know it. In this respect I enjoy AS much more than I do the likes of Chrono Crusade.

Of course, this fact means that AS is unpalatable to the more sensitive-minded but hey, it's a work of fiction and it's obviously not meant for everyone.

'I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.'

I don't think any tale featuring an examination of the Christian morality system as it's back-ground, demons, angels, sin and redemption, and the Jewdeo-Christian God isn't meant to '...bear any sort of resemblence to Christianity'. I agree there isn't anything here that rises to a possible degree of offensiveness, which is what I intoned by saying the show had only the most superficial grasp of Christianity (it's not thematically coherent enough where anyone who may be inclined should be offended).

It's not that it's offensive, it's simply when it came out the buzz had this show as 'deep', but it's not. Christian morality isn't really explored, but like in a metric ton of Japanese works Christianity is used as either: the ever-popular adolescent 'Otaku'-bait themed 'Take this Authority and your crusty value system!!', vague, mystical foreign religion handy for exotic backdrop, or a vehicle for anti-Western/foreign sentiments. (I'd say the first two go in this case).

'Angel Sanctuary' is an angsty beat-em up' with pretty-boy character designs in which Christianity is a thin window dressing to color the antics. There nothing wrong with that, and it seems to have a good niche of fans. I just don't agree there's anything 'deep' going on as was the buzz when I first saw it, though maybe nobody really trumps that angle anymore.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I don't think this really classifies as Yaoi to begin with, I never saw the theme of two men sleeping together come out in this anime. Or just falling in love with each other. Even though Setsuna might be the reincarnation of the other significant person, he has his own mind as well. One of the themes presented in the anime was incest. Hardly qualifies as yaoi or even yuri.

It's not yaoi- it's one of those titles that's simply popular in the yaoi fandom regardless, like Ouran High School Host Club, Get-Backers, and Saiyuki. (Also Here is Greenwood for 'old-school' yaoi fans.)

As previously stated, I think it's just having several attractive males with close relationships around that does the trick... my yaoi-loving friends would call it 'potential'. I credit MB for knowing excactly what market to sell this show to, even though it techincally doesn't 'fit the bill'.

I've got the old DVD of this, and liked it back in high school... it's been quite some time since I watched it though, I wonder if I'd like it now... I remember that I acutally preferred the rough/brash voices of the dub- I guess I figured a boy in love with his sister, being chased by the angels/demons after the girl he was in a previous life, would have a tendency to yell about things. Laughing Plus the 'Miss Thang' line entertained me.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think any tale featuring an examination of the Christian morality system as it's back-ground, demons, angels, sin and redemption, and the Jewdeo-Christian God isn't meant to '...bear any sort of resemblence to Christianity'.

You're right, I should rephrase that to "...resemblence to Christianity in practice/reality," Which is closer to what I meant.

I'm not defending how "deep" AS is. Yes, I think the story has a fairly complicated and interesting plot. But deep? As in philosophically meaningful/thought-provoking? All I can say is if Madman tries to pull that one on me I'd laugh to death.

My point: I don't believe for an instant that the author has any in-depth knowledge of Christianity and whatnot, but she doesn't have to. She's conveniently structured her story to provide an explanation as to why the contents of AS diverges from real Christianity (of course, the anime might not have shown as much), provided a good excuse for her own ignorance, if you'd like. So I thought the "look at how shallow and pretentious this thing is, trying to feature Christianity and not getting it right" line of thought is kind of pointless.

That's it really. Other than that I can agree with most of what you're saying.

The last part of my comment was more of a reaction to the article itself. Some people do get mightily offended at this type of material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2