• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Letter from the Encyclopedist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:20 am Reply with quote
This is good news. I am always happy to contibute to the Encyclopedia. Besides, this auditing thing is kind of fun.

Gotta love those sources.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Calli wrote:
Since it's been stated that duplicate audits are bugs, I'd like to mention I also had a duplicate while auditing: Theme "Historical" for Chrono Crusade.

That happened before I said it was a bug right? Because I wrote that after fixing the bug, so it shouldn't happen anymore.

Hmm, odd... I just had the exact same thing (duplicate audit on historical theme for Chrono Crusade) a few minutes ago... so, um, I guess it's not quite fixed >.>
Sorry ^^;
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Usually, it may be apparent. But lets take One Piece, which I just did a couple audits for. I leaned towards adventure, but I think it could easily be both. The characters are constantly traveling and on an advanture, but its also pretty heavy on the action. I don't see it being one clearly over the other and I really think its both.

There were a few cases where it was a little hard to decide especially when both are equally relevant. An action-adventure genre is certainly a valid description for some of them and both should probably be included.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
This is good news. I am always happy to contibute to the Encyclopedia. Besides, this auditing thing is kind of fun.

Yeah, I just saw a source as "i like this show"
well, that will convince me Love Hina (one of the specials) is slice of life, not drama.

Some of these are very difficult to decide between, and I have the feeling some of these would make interesting debates (more interesting than sub vs. dub and likely more logical.)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
Ai no Kareshi wrote:

Now you know what kind of crap we have to face every day. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

This doesn't make me envy your job here, but I do appreciate the wonderful job you do!
クリスチャン

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

You guys certainly do a great job keeping everything up and running like you do. Keep up the great work as always. Very Happy
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
rti9 wrote:
After a verdict has been decided, can the same audit be restarted?

Not at the moment. Eventually I'll implement some kind of appeal process.

How long does an audit last?
ingram_pilot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
After doing a few of the audits, I noticed something that might create incorrect results.

In audits for titles that have mutually exclusive genres, you're asked to choose one, or discard it and choose the other; but you can't discard both. Like this:
Quote:
* Keep the genre "X" for anime ....
* Discard the above; it is incorrect and/or "genre Y" is preferable
* I don't know

But what if the title doesn't belong to the first genre, and the 'preferable' alternative is even less appropriate. You don't have the option of saying that both are incorrect.

For example, for Serial Experiments Lain I'm given the following choices
Quote:
* Keep the genre "supernatural" for anime Serial Experiments Lain (TV)
* Discard the above; it is incorrect and/or "fantasy" / "magic" is preferable
* I don't know

The show doesn't match the definition for 'supernatural'; but it matches the definitions for 'fantasy' and 'magic' even less. So I'm stuck with either choosing the lesser of two evils, or abstaining.

That was just one example, but I'm sure there are a lot of others. I've also had 'drama' vs. 'slice of life' for Dragon Ball Z. It definitely doesn't meet the criteria for 'drama'; there is nothing in the show approaching "in-depth character development and interaction". But neither is it slice of life. (That would be a crappy life, getting killed every other day. Wink )

To insure that the audits are as accurate as possible, they should all include the "Discard the above; it is incorrect" option to declare all the choices as incorrect.

Apart from this one issue though, I think the audit process is a great idea.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a fine way to word it however,
that "and/or" doesn't mean it will fit, just that what there is listed you disagree with.
Your vote still goes for "discard it" as a description.
ingram_pilot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I think this is a fine way to word it however,
that "and/or" doesn't mean it will fit, just that what there is listed you disagree with.
Your vote still goes for "discard it" as a description.

If all that happens is a vote against the first choice, then it's the same result as choosing "Discard the above; it is incorrect ". In that case, there's no problem.

But since in the situation I described the choice to discard is worded like this: "Discard the above; it is incorrect and/or "genre Y" is preferable" there's a possibility that choosing this option results in a vote for "genre Y".

I guess it all depends on how the audits are implemented
petran79

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Congrats for all the effort in maintaining the vast encyclopedia.

There can never be a perfect english speaking anime encyclopedia with the flexibility and reviews of anidb, the comprehensiveness of animenewsnetwork and the vast reviews of animenfo.

except the genre classification one major bonus would be just like in Wikipedia to include the series/movies a voice actor/director/animator participated also in chronological instead of just an alphabetical order. Anidb has this option only for the studios and Wikipedia is too vast for an anime reference tool. This would greatly enhance the encyclopedia. So far only in limited series (eg WMT) is such an option available. It would also help the viewers to identify older or unknown series in which many known animators/voice actors made their first steps.

this would bring the encyclopedia near perfection if it was implemented. I dont force you, it is just a suggestion
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:

well, that will convince me Love Hina (one of the specials) is slice of life, not drama.

I got a "Source: 1." Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Kenji_Ikari wrote:
I got a "Source: 1." Laughing

Ahh, that's from a specific user who was a pain in the neck. Mad If I recall correctly s/he was warned several times before getting banned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
It's great that the Encyclopedia staff is working to make it even better... I'm going to help as much as I can! ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7