• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Bandai Entertainment Respond on Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I put up an avatar to represent the current mood. Cool

mauz15 wrote:
Well, more than half of the replies here seem to be from members that either have not used crunchyroll or have not even heard of it much until know. So the assumptions here are a lot.

Heck, I'm not saying crunchyroll is a saint, but is not like the fansubbers are virtually moral either. Let's not get into the 'pointing finger game' as to who is 'killing the industry' because really, can you tell me with a straight face that fansubbers are doing something helpful EVERY time? (*note the word every)

When the site started it was merely a private site to share videos with some friends, word got out, site grew, so obviously bandwidth increases. (btw at one time back when the site was new, donations were more than enough and that money was not took for profit, instead....access to better streaming was allowed for both donators and regular visitors for a period of time. just a thought) Like I was saying bandwidth costs increased exponentially. To the point where even a limit to streaming a certain number of videos every 24 hours was put in place for some time, uh would a site profiting do this? you may argue, 'yeah to force donations' but that conclusion is a 50/50 so meh, valid reasoning but not necesarily strong.

(check alexa for the rapid growth around Dec 2006) so yeah obviously companies found the place and requested content to be taken off. They did, and still do. Back to the bandwidth point; with such a sudden increase in visitors the donations were, as to my limited knowledge but certainly more than many of you since I've hanged out there; the donations were barely covering monthly streaming costs so uh no profit.

I don't know exactly what the situation is now, so don't misunderstand my post as some sort of defense 'of the site i like' just stating facts on the table. and I stretch this for emphasis. Articles and opinions from companies (many of whom don't even understand anime fans hence their selfdefeat in terms of industry) are NOT REALLY that informative. This thing is too fresh to make any sound assumptions right now....

Oh and I'm not saying there is not truth in some of the posts here, so don't start attacking my post because if you do, is like you are assuming I'm taking a certain position when I'm really not. I just rather would wait some more to see how this develops. I mean have the creators of CR even addressed some of the points being raised here? no they have not.

Oooh kay. I got you on the assumption part. Just don't assume everyone here has not heard of Crunchyroll or used it in the past. Wink Many have and we're not blowing things out of the water.

Fansub =/= Crunchy. Fansub does subbing for increasing awareness of said series and don't ask for any money back. As a free member of CR, it annoys me to see someone asking for payment just so you can watch the HQ videos/increase bandwith. Fruthermore, they post up videos of all legal/illegal/fansub. CR is definitely the less moral here. Anime smile And profit? At that part, it seems little but then, where's this 4 million coming from, eh?

I'm not attacking you. Just want to point you in the right direction. A CR mod was in the last thread concerning this issue and was defending CR to some extent. The creator so-called "shinji" would probably not dare to come across here at all.

Last edited by Unknown Memory on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I wrote:
And yet in a picture-perfect "O RLY?" moment, I was able to start playing Negima, xxxHOLiC, and Love and Honor within moments of reading this.

And now all are deleted from their index since I wrote that.

* QUICK! FLUSH THE DOPE! *

Laughing
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
^ Hey, aren't you the guy that Zac interviewed earlier today regarding the inner workings of the fansubbing world?

Guilty as charged ^^;

-Tofu
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
^ Hey, aren't you the guy that Zac interviewed earlier today regarding the inner workings of the fansubbing world?

Guilty as charged ^^;

-Tofu

We have a celeberity on our hands! Laughing
mauz15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
mauz15 wrote:
...Oh and I'm not saying there is not truth in some of the posts here, so don't start attacking my post because if you do, is like you are assuming I'm taking a certain position when I'm really not. I just rather would wait some more to see how this develops. I mean have the creators of CR even addressed some of the points being raised here? no they have not.

That's great, and no one here is saying either that fansubbers are saints. But next to this guy they might as well be. At least they don't pretend to profit off it. I don't care how big you claim your site to be, you don't need 4 million dollars to run it. This isn't just the ethics of stealing anymore, it's now bringing in to play profiting from selling the stolen goods, which is a complete other monster as it not only counters claims people use the sites to avoid paying, but also gets no money back the studios. At least when you buy a DVD you are investing in the market and a lot of that money goes back in to more anime down the road. In this case you're investing in what? A leeches pocketbook.

What is there for them to even address? They're making money off of a product they obtained illegally. We know they don't have the license, we know the companies are sending them C&D's.

Right, this is exactly why I wanted to emphasize in my last part.
"What is there for them to even address? " give it some time! the matter is still full of meresay and there is always two sides of a coin, hence my statements that yes some things said here are true obvious even, but many others here are weak premises. Please note the language I use because it's important. Valid premises may be valid, but not necessarily strong, or sound. The basis for many of the things here is still too flexible.

Unknown Memory wrote:
I put up an avatar to represent the current mood. Cool

mauz15 wrote:
Well, more than half of the replies here seem to be from members that either have not used crunchyroll or have not even heard of it much until know. So the assumptions here are a lot.

Heck, I'm not saying crunchyroll is a saint, but is not like the fansubbers are virtually moral either. Let's not get into the 'pointing finger game' as to who is 'killing the industry' because really, can you tell me with a straight face that fansubbers are doing something helpful EVERY time? (*note the word every)

When the site started it was merely a private site to share videos with some friends, word got out, site grew, so obviously bandwidth increases. (btw at one time back when the site was new, donations were more than enough and that money was not took for profit, instead....access to better streaming was allowed for both donators and regular visitors for a period of time. just a thought) Like I was saying bandwidth costs increased exponentially. To the point where even a limit to streaming a certain number of videos every 24 hours was put in place for some time, uh would a site profiting do this? you may argue, 'yeah to force donations' but that conclusion is a 50/50 so meh, valid reasoning but not necesarily strong.

(check alexa for the rapid growth around Dec 2006) so yeah obviously companies found the place and requested content to be taken off. They did, and still do. Back to the bandwidth point; with such a sudden increase in visitors the donations were, as to my limited knowledge but certainly more than many of you since I've hanged out there; the donations were barely covering monthly streaming costs so uh no profit.

I don't know exactly what the situation is now, so don't misunderstand my post as some sort of defense 'of the site i like' just stating facts on the table. and I stretch this for emphasis. Articles and opinions from companies (many of whom don't even understand anime fans hence their selfdefeat in terms of industry) are NOT REALLY that informative. This thing is too fresh to make any sound assumptions right now....

Oh and I'm not saying there is not truth in some of the posts here, so don't start attacking my post because if you do, is like you are assuming I'm taking a certain position when I'm really not. I just rather would wait some more to see how this develops. I mean have the creators of CR even addressed some of the points being raised here? no they have not.

Oooh kay. I got you on the assumption part. Just don't assume everyone here has not heard of Crunchyroll or used it in the past. Wink Many have and we're not blowing things out of the water.

Fansub =/= Crunchy. Fansub does subbing for increasing awareness of said series and don't ask for any money back. As a free member of CR, it annoys me to see someone asking for payment just so you can watch the HQ videos/increase bandwith. Fruthermore, they post up videos of all legal/illegal/fansub. CR is definitely the less moral here. Anime smile And profit? At that part, it seems little but then, where's this 4 million coming from, eh?

I'm not attacking you. Just want to point you in the right direction. A CR mod was in the last thread concerning this issue and was defending CR to some extent. The creator so-called "shinji" would probably not dare to come across here at all.

I'm a mod there too, but I can't defend something when the matter is so vague. BUT, same logic applies for the people making judgments.

right right I said "some of the members here have not used the site..." Note word Some =P but yeah I got you.

As for the $4m....that's why I said "I don't know exactly what the situation is NOW"

Last edited by mauz15 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Tyrenol"]
mithrandiryod wrote:
Yes. We need more than one company to publically denounce Crunchyroll. If not; then they're inadvertantly saying "GO RIGHT AHEAD AND RUIN THE INDUSTRY FOR EVERYBODY."

Wow. Love all the hostility towards CR on here. I'm not a fan, but really. wow. Bad licensers and censors get less venom on this site.

Besides. It wans't long ago that Japanese companies occasionally claimed they were glad for fansubs since they helped generate interst. Now the FANS are attacking a site that may (may) be going legit (though I admit, I doubt it myself)

johjohz wrote:
that's all, crunchyroll only helps us watch our favorite shows without having to download them.

Even if they get rid of crunchyroll, they won't solve the copyright infringement problem or whatever, we'll just have to Download the fansubbed episodes by ourselves.

So, they should try to stop the fansubbbers, not the streaming sites.

i think most of those who hate crunchyroll have some high speed connection, and they can download the episodes easily, that's all. (bastards)

ps. funimation sucks big time.

1 supporter of CR. Interesting.

Paploo wrote:
Tyrenol wrote:
Yes. We need more than one company to publically denounce Crunchyroll. If not; then they're inadvertantly saying "GO RIGHT AHEAD AND RUIN THE INDUSTRY FOR EVERYBODY."

Media Blasters have done so on AnimeOnDVD's thread with John Sirabella commenting, though also addressing how unfair these circumstances can be for small companies. I'd suggest going there for exact quotes. I don't doubt we'll see other companies comment too, depending on what their legal departments are up to.

Yea, now that 2 have, it'll become a little mroe standard. Still, the timing is funny as they wait until after it starts to do legit things.

Keonyn wrote:

And FYI, leave the trolling comments out of legit discussions. Saying "funimation sucks big time." doesn't do a single thing to further discussion aside from incite equally negative response. Especially when you don't even provide any logic behind it.

compared to all the "I hate crunch roll" posts that weren't anything but?

Zac wrote:
I'm starting to think that anime fandom is slowly eating itself alive.

?? In what way? I can take that statement at least 3 directions

Roy9076 wrote:
Zac wrote:
I'm starting to think that anime fandom is slowly eating itself alive.

That has been noted since anime fans think that anime should be free and that mentality hurts in the long run. Whole ordeal that anime should be free because it is showed in TV in Japan makes it the same in America. I'm waiting for the part when Japan is going to cease anime distribution across the sea. This is getting out of hand. I told many fans but they rather not listen. Now I rather just kick back and see the end results.

Getting out of hand? Lord, your funny. they're making more off of Foreighn Markets than they were before digital fansubbing.

nevermind argument one way or the other about the neccessity of fansubs to the creation of the U.S. industry

and while I don't necissarily agree with the anime should be free mentaility, It should be pointed out that much of it IS free in japan, provided you have a television set and a VCR. Some fans want the same opportunity to see before they buy? Is it right? hard to say, but its not quite black and white.

Panon wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
FUNimation and other license holders should be able to appeal to the government for the protection of their business interests.

No, let's not have Funimation and other anime companies start acting like the RIAA.

Want people to not use illegal services like this? Provide a legal equivalent.

RIAA: Bad press and alienating consumers MUST be good for sales. RIght? RIGHT??

I do love all the people who think DRM and legislation are the best solution to everything. Nevermind that AMAZON is making a killing in the music MP3 download industry by offering DRM free ones that you can do anythign with (IE: no limitation or special software screwing up your usage on mutliple machines)

IF they offered low quality download/streams of the first few episodes of all series, if you could buy japanese TV on your cable package, or if foreighn legit DVD's came region free and subbed, I think you'd see alot less "piracy".
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
And now all are deleted from their index since I wrote that.

* QUICK! FLUSH THE DOPE! *

Laughing

Haha, nice.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yes, that may be true. But I can look back at 30 years of anime and find amazing stuff. I can look back at 30 years of cartoons are see absolutely nothing of importance.

Animaniacs? Just for that I'm going to ban you! Heh, just kidding of course. There is no doubting that anime has a lot more to offer, but it's also a lot more popular over there. Most companies just don't see animation as all that viable over here as much more than entertainment and education for kids. Still though, it may be going a tad far to say there is absolutely nothing, though it is entirely subjective.

Quote:
Guilty as charged ^^;

We may not see eye to eye, but that was a great interview.

Turkishproverb wrote:
Besides. It wans't long ago that Japanese companies occasionally claimed they were glad for fansubs since they helped generate interst. Now the FANS are attacking a site that may (may) be going legit (though I admit, I doubt it myself)

The venom is not as a result of the fansubs, but rather that the site is trying to profit off it. It's one thing to download fansubs or create them, while I'm not 100% for it I'm also not 100% against it. I am against someone taking that work and then using it to turn a profit however and I believe that is where you will find most people base their distaste for the site on, not on the existence of the fansubs themselves.

Honestly I understand the complaints. Yeah, we have no means aside from DVD purchasing to view anime and that does suck. There's titles they get that we don't and that's no good either. I also agree with those that say the industry needs to be more proactive in providing alternatives and digital distribution. My issue has never been with their existence, but rather those that just leech off the fansubs and do nothing to support an industry they claim to love. Taking those and profiting from them though is far lower than even that.

Last edited by Keonyn on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Quote:
Yes, that may be true. But I can look back at 30 years of anime and find amazing stuff. I can look back at 30 years of cartoons are see absolutely nothing of importance.

Animaniacs? Just for that I'm going to ban you! Heh, just kidding of course. There is no doubting that anime has a lot more to offer, but it's also a lot more popular over there. Most companies just don't see animation as all that viable over here as much more than entertainment and education for kids. Still though, it may be going a tad far to say there is absolutely nothing, though it is entirely subjective.

To say nothing of Pinky and the Brain, Beast Wars (Ok, this is canadian), B:TAS, BB, S:TAS, JL, JLU, Gargoyles, Rocky and Bulwinkle, etc.

Japanese Animation elitism scares me. There's alot of Great stuff to come otu of the states, much of it quite mature regardless of whom it was supposedly targeted to.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
mauz15 wrote:
"What is there for them to even address? " give it some time! the matter is still full of meresay and there is always two sides of a coin, hence my statements that yes some things said here are true obvious even, but many others here are weak premises. Please note the language I use because it's important. Valid premises may be valid, but not necessarily strong, or sound. The basis for many of the things here is still too flexible.

I'm a mod there too, but I can't defend something when the matter is so vague. BUT, same logic applies for the people making judgments.

right right I said "some of the members here have not used the site..." Note word Some =P but yeah I got you.

As for the $4m....that's why I said "I don't know exactly what the situation is NOW"

You say "time" and "to wait", but it's already a few years now that CR is in existence. It took them this long for this situation to occur. (Imagine another year and another one million dollars roll in...) And you say that this is "vague" as of now, but for me...., it seems pretty clear. >_>
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
mauz15 wrote:
Quote:

Mauz, or any one else fresh to the topic, check out the other Crunchyroll related thread for some specifics on the issue, it's much less 'general rambling' then this one. To the point, it pretty clearly illustrates that Crunchyroll wasn't a 'social fan site' that happened to get big, but was a business venture with a 'cash in' plan all along (not that theres anything wrong with an internet business venture, but obviously the how/what of Crunchyroll thats pretty shady).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Turkishproverb wrote:

Getting out of hand? Lord, your funny. they're making more off of Foreighn Markets than they were before digital fansubbing.

nevermind argument one way or the other about the neccessity of fansubs to the creation of the U.S. industry

and while I don't necissarily agree with the anime should be free mentaility, It should be pointed out that much of it IS free in japan, provided you have a television set and a VCR. Some fans want the same opportunity to see before they buy? Is it right? hard to say, but its not quite black and white.
You want to read something funny? Read this for a laugh. The last page should have you in stitches.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
While I agree Chrunchyroll is in the wrong, the legal process take forever. This isn't to say they should not move forward with it.

While they're in the process of getting this guys, maybe they could move forward on their own site? I don't claim to know nhow much CR makes a year, but would their profit sheet not show the money they could make from such a venture?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
So wait, what will happen to the members of the site? Will they be charged of the law or be kicked out? What about the members who payed?

Nothing would happen to the members who paid (or not). Under the law those who paid might occupy a hazy area roughly equivalent to being victims of a fraud (albeit quite willing victims), but viewing streaming video doesn't appear to violate any law at all (no copy is made).
mauz15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Unknown Memory wrote:
mauz15 wrote:

You say "time" and "to wait", but it's already a few years now that CR is in existence. It took them this long for this situation to occur. (Imagine another year and another one million dollars roll in...) And you say that this is "vague" as of now, but for me...., it seems pretty clear. >_>

ok im not talking about months or years here. What I'm saying is, wait for a few more articles or info FROM BOTH sides to be put on the table.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, I thought Mighty Max was a f*cking awesome series.

>.>; Yeah yeah yeah, anime is great and all, but not ALL of it is.

And stop crapping on some great American classic cartoons. Wasn't anime influenced by American animation in the first place?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11