• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Speed Racer Film's Full Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably go see this (on opening night if I can), though I'm still reserving judgement on it (since, you know, I haven't actually seen the movie yet).

I can see how this could either rock or suck, depending on how they pull it off. I obviously hope it's the former. In a sense, I think I'm glad I haven't seen the original series since I can go in unjaded.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Prometheus: Yeah, the original series was campy, but that was because they were on a budget. The movie's supposed to look cool, not dumb.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Prometheus: Yeah, the original series was campy, but that was because they were on a budget. The movie's supposed to look cool, not dumb.

Well, there will be people who are mad if it doesn't have the campy feel of the TV series, and then there will be people who will be mad if it has the campy feel, because it doesn't have to. And thus is the fun of trying to adapt a title from one medium into another. You can't make everyone happy.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
ugh it looks horrible, and with their money thats all they could hire???
Dude, I think it looks awesome. If I'm right, Trixie is played by Christina Ricci, and she's pretty well know from her 90s work.

The special effects look awesome. Hopefully this movie will impress me as much as Transformers did.
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
cool3865 wrote:
ugh it looks horrible, and with their money thats all they could hire???
Dude, I think it looks awesome. If I'm right, Trixie is played by Christina Ricci, and she's pretty well know from her 90s work.

The special effects look awesome. Hopefully this movie will impress me as much as Transformers did.

she was mainly known for Adams Family in the early 90's, after that no one knew what happened to her untill the movie Black Moan Snake came out 2 years ago.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow I am surprised so many people like this. I actually saw the full preview in the theatre and I thought it might give me a seizure. So many flashing lights. On the big screen it looked horrible. Maybe it looked cooler smaller.
I never loved speed racer as a kid. Maybe thats my problem.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

So is it the character designs you don't like? As a fan of the original, I think they're spot-on.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know. Was interested in it, but I'm just not sure.

I know this is absolutely retarded to say, but it just looks so cartoonish. It's obviously the style they wanted, but I'll have to really see it to know if it "works" for me. I know speedracer had cars/drivers fighting, but what was with the ninja thing? Is that from the anime?

I don't know about how much money they had for casting but the lead character, Emile Hirsch, looked pretty good. I don't know him from any of his better recent movies(only The Girl Next Door...). Susan Sarandon and Christina Ricci are good additions. And John Goodman? Seriously? Ok, I have to see the movie now. I hope he has more than 5 lines in the movie.
TheTrueUndead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
Shocked Haven't been paying much attention to this at all but after that trailer...I'm rather interested. Never got into the show due to it's style and perhaps to a degree it's age but the movie looks at the least to be a very fun ride.
arkady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote
Christina Ricci is the only possible reason for any grownup to want to see this film.
paintballninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
Regardless of whether you like the film or not...

don't forget that if it's successful it may open the door to other producers and directors deciding to try their hand at live-action anime productions!

Personally, I've never been a fan of Speed Racer, but I think I'll go see the movie because first of all, it doesn't look that bad, and secondly, I'll be supporting the concept behind it: anime can be reproduced as live action films.

From a commercial standpoint, if this film is successful why wouldn't other producers try to do something similar? There are hundreds of fandoms out there, current and out-dated alike, that would go see a film based on their current obsession or childhood memories.

For example, there are probably thousands and thousands of people who were once Sailor Moon fans or Cowboy Bebop fans. Imagine that a live film was released today. I'd bet at least half of them would be interested at the very least. And those are two HUGE fandoms.

Wink
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
If it were truly faithful to the Speed Racer concept it would have been filmed at 4 frames per second.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
paintballninja wrote:
Regardless of whether you like the film or not...

don't forget that if it's successful it may open the door to other producers and directors deciding to try their hand at live-action anime productions!

Personally, I've never been a fan of Speed Racer, but I think I'll go see the movie because first of all, it doesn't look that bad, and secondly, I'll be supporting the concept behind it: anime can be reproduced as live action films.

From a commercial standpoint, if this film is successful why wouldn't other producers try to do something similar? There are hundreds of fandoms out there, current and out-dated alike, that would go see a film based on their current obsession or childhood memories.

For example, there are probably thousands and thousands of people who were once Sailor Moon fans or Cowboy Bebop fans. Imagine that a live film was released today. I'd bet at least half of them would be interested at the very least. And those are two HUGE fandoms.

Wink

i belive there was a live action TV show of Sailor Moon, but there are some if not many anime that just need to stay like that
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:

i belive there was a live action TV show of Sailor Moon, but there are some if not many anime that just need to stay like that

Whether you like it or not, it achieved very popular success. I know it was a bit cheesy, but it wasn't as "cute" as the original anime. In fact...it was a little dark.

I mean...Evil Sailor Mercury? Hellz, I liked it a LOT better than Evil Tuxedo Mask. >.>;
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I love the effects in this film! It looks so cool and vibrant! I'm sure it won't be as insane in its cutting as the trailer folks! The post production and compositing team must've had the time of their lives working on this! People, these effects are anything but bad... it's just that the style isn't appealing to you. I'll be there for this on day 1, hopefully in IMAX! And if it's in 3D that would really be crazy! I don't think I could handle that... my eyes would pop! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3