• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Frontier.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
What the hell is "correlation diagram" and "character's item" under character? Gotta dig that engrish...
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
After seeing the first episode, I am looking forward to the series. Even if the storyline and characters should be uninteresting, the visuals might be good enough to keep me watching. And Ranka rocks Very Happy
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Macross Frontier's first episode was excellent IMHO.
Loved the Valkyre combat scenes and the new UN Spacy ships.
The characters were a welcomed change from some of the M7 ones (Basara in particular).

Macross is an excellent anime franchise. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes space epics/sagas or mecha anime in general.
Though one word of caution, Macross 7 is a bit...flashy.
Some of you will like it, some of you will definitely hate it, and like me, some of you will think...oh well, C'est la vie!
M7 is long, 53 episodes plus an OAV series.

If you can only fit in time for a few of the Macross series than allow me to reccomend the ones that most people at MacrossWorld find to be the best.

Macross (the original series, it's a must)
Macross Plus
Macross Zero
and now Macross Frontier
Macross the movie is good but if you really want to learn about this anime world the original series lays down most of the necessary groundwork.
Macross 2 is also pretty good but it is considered to be an "Parallel universe" according to Egan Loo's Macross Compendium and not necessary to watch to understand the series.[/url]
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I fangasmed when I saw those rockets let loose. Still when it comes to the jaw dropping moment nothing compares to the first transformation in Macross Zero!

Ooooh, yeah. I know what you mean. It took me a couple of minutes to pick up my jaw from the floor when I saw that scene... Then I went back and watched the scene a couple more times.

On the episode titles: that put a smile in my face. Maybe, just maybe, spoiler[Ranka's gonna perform Ai, Oboete Imasuka? on that episode... Which may mean that a single with the Kanno/Nakajima version on it may be coming sooner than we think!]

And, Rie Tanaka and Aya Hirano as bridge bunnies? Sweet. There's another woman there, plus that Bobby Margo character. I REALLY hope that they turn out to be good (funny, witty, cute) bridge bunnies.

On the size of the Frontier and the school issue, consider that the New Macross-class ships (and their companion fleets) have a capacity of up to a million people (probably more, looking at the sheer number of other ships in the Frontier's fleet). Meaning, you'd have to educate at least a couple of hundred thousand people. IRL, a mid-to-large-sized university which serves all levels of education would have a capacity of more than 20,000 students. So, definitely, there would be loads and loads of schools there, assuming that the Frontier and its fleet are anywhere near capacity.

Just one thing bothered me about my latest re-watch of the first episode: why didn't the Frontier just shell-down when the final defense line was breached? And where in blazes are the Destroids? Is it plot-induced tactical stupidity? Hmmmm. Laughing
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
Can't speak for the plot induced stupidity,

On the schools thing, the main weird element about it is that it's fairly unusual in anime for more than one school to be present, that said school age teens aren't particularly central to the plot, however you would think purpled haired girl (what's her name?) and Ranka would probably be in the same school considering they have the same job and seem to be freinds
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
Well, the really basic, basic Macross crash course is really Do You Remember Love? and Macross Plus. If you don't have the time to sit through everything right now, these two will do the trick.

That's good to hear, because I don't have the time to watch the original series, since Frontier is right around the corner. I'll start with the "basic, basic crash course" then. Smile

I'll go back and watch the original series and Zero sometime in the future.

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do myself. And it looks like Zero's only 5 episodes, so I might be able to do that fairly soon as well. Any idea as to which order we should watch them at?

Good thing we don't have to watch the premiere episode since we've already seen it, since that gives us time to watch some of these. Wink

I just finished watching Do You Remember Love? earlier this morning and I loved it. Having watched that wonderful movie, I cannot wait to watch the original series since it is much more fleshed out. I'll also be watching Plus later followed by Zero (which was animated by Satelight, w00t!).

As for the premiere episode: you're right. Not having to watch it gives us time to catch up on the Macross franchise. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
I hope you got the remastered version of DYRL :wink: I just got that version myself yesterday, gorgeous. Also if you love the movie you're in for a treat with the series, characters like Roy, Maxmillian and Millia are so much better in the series.

Also I'm watching the premiere version so I can see what gets cut out from the previously aired director's cut (that's what ANN called it in the news section back in December). 27 minutes... so it will lose 2...

Plus is awesome, I hope you enjoy it. I've already rewatched the scenes set to Information High (awesome insert song, not done by Kanno) and Dogfight (one of Kanno's best battle themes, the way it builds up is superb) a few times today, I'll say it again but the battle on earth is awesome between those two leads.

Quote:
Ooooh, yeah. I know what you mean. It took me a couple of minutes to pick up my jaw from the floor when I saw that scene... Then I went back and watched the scene a couple more times.

I just watched that scene again, and again and again. [expletive] awesome. As for your spoiler I really, really hope so. And yes the bridge bunnies have to be awesome! I love the 3 in SDF Macross.

Quote:
On the size of the Frontier and the school issue, consider that the New Macross-class ships (and their companion fleets) have a capacity of up to a million people (probably more, looking at the sheer number of other ships in the Frontier's fleet).

People on Suki said they saw several um... additional containers (not the right word...) that can hold another 100,000 people. In other words Frontier is jam packed.

Quote:
Just one thing bothered me about my latest re-watch of the first episode: why didn't the Frontier just shell-down when the final defense line was breached? And where in blazes are the Destroids? Is it plot-induced tactical stupidity? Hmmmm

Destriods got retired well before Frontier and I think the military underestimated these opponents. Obviously some people on Frontier expected them but I guess they didn't get the word out to everybody.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
True, in a lot of anime where school-age characters comprise the majority, other schools only exist as rivals (whether in terms of sports or gang/delinquent fighting). There are also instances of characters' previous schools being mentioned, but most of them are pretty much done in an offhand, non-plot-impacting manner. About Ranka and Nanase, maybe it's just that the producers decided to place them in different schools just to underscore the sheer size of the Frontier. Or maybe for all we know, Ranka is actually in middle school. 0_o

But, since you mentioned school-age teens, this would probably mark the first time that characters in that demographic who actually go to school have a major role in a Macross series. Why is it that a very nasty picture of a visual novel adaptation suddenly came into my mind? Laughing

And I think that the "correlation diagram" in the official site's characters section is actually a relationship chart thingy, just made unnecessarily complicated. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
kizzmequik_74 wrote:
But, since you mentioned school-age teens, this would probably mark the first time that characters in that demographic who actually go to school have a major role in a Macross series. Why is it that a very nasty picture of a visual novel adaptation suddenly came into my mind? :lol:

I remember when word on Frontier first leaked and the word high school was mentioned, poor Kawamori took a beating online that day. Anyway doesn't Alto go to a military academy/school? Didn't Nanase go there too? The one with the Macross like main guns for the building? Ranka might go to a proper school with Alto and Nanase are going to a military academy. Guess things will get cleared up shortly though.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Alto and company go to the same school as Nanase (Miboshi Academy High?). I don't actually read it as a military academy, though. It feels a bit too... Relaxed. Plus, there's a line of dialogue that asks if Alto is going to join the military after he graduates: such a question would suggest that joining the military is not exactly the norm for graduates of that school, which in turn suggests that it isn't exactly a military academy (whose primary purpose would likely be to produce graduates who will then join the military). Either way, you're right, it will get cleared up in a few weeks' time.

Westlo wrote:
People on Suki said they saw several um... additional containers (not the right word...) that can hold another 100,000 people. In other words Frontier is jam packed.

Looking at the flyby scene around two minutes in, I could count 18 of those containers (which actually look to me like open-type colonies from UC Gundam, sans solar panels)... Which would definitely push the fleet's capacity WAY over the Macross 7-stated one million. If their estimates are right, that means that the capacity of the fleet would be over 2 million people.

Westlo wrote:
Destriods got retired well before Frontier and I think the military underestimated these opponents. Obviously some people on Frontier expected them but I guess they didn't get the word out to everybody.

Gaaaah, sorry about the idiotic mention of Destroids. I totally forgot that they weren't even in active service during the mid 2040s (Macross 7). It's just that their role as the final line of defense in the original series seemed to be very sensible. Well, the military in Macross has never been the sharpest tools in their shows, to be honest. And, upon further thought, doing a shell-down is actually a pretty big decision, so it makes quite a bit of sense that they didn't.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Awww, no Destroids? I liked the destroids, sometimes they were cooler than the valkyries.

On a completely different note, where are the Zentradi? spoiler[Or are they completely integrated by now (I haven't seen passed Plus, so I can't be sure...)]

Edit: Other interesting things to note: Ozma seems to know Michael and the gang are working at the concert,

Also isn't it weird that ozma is surprised to see Ranka at the concert when he gave her the tickets.
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On a completely different note, where are the Zentradi?

spoiler[
AFAIK, the Zentraedi are completely assimilated by the Earth culture into what becomes known as the New Unity Government. One of the main characters in Macross plus is a Zentraedi-Halfbreed named Guld Goa Bowman (he pilots the VF-22 SturmVogel prototype [YF-21]). The addition of this character in Macross Plus appears to be to emphasize that there is prejudice among the human population against Zentraedi and Maeltrandi and their offspring of "Peace-Children." It also seems to imply that there has been a great deal of crossbreeding between the Earth and Zentraedi populations since 2010 AD. Macross Flashback 2012 also alludes that much of the Zentraedi fleet left with the early colonization missions of the Megaroad class of colony ships. So that explains why there are so few Zentraedi warships in the UN Spacy forces of the 2050s. Although a Neo-Nupetiet Vergnitzs Bis [Zentraedi Flagship a la robotech] does make an appearence in Macross 7 I believe. ]

I hope that adequately answers your inquiry. Smile
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I think that Ozma and Ranka are actually related (they share the same surname), plus it was actually Ozma who Ranka was talking to on the phone (btw, I WANT that frog-looking phone) during the Nyan Nyan scene.

On the Zentradi question: I dunno, really. I don't think anyone in the current main cast have been explicitly mentioned as a Zentradi (or part-Zentradi). I'd bet that they've already been integrated fully into human society by this time, or the production staff just forgot to write them into the first episode. Anyway, in Macross 7 spoiler[there is a half-Zentradi main character (Mylene), three full Zentradi in the immediate supporting cast (Milia, Veffidas, and Exedol), a sizable Zentradi population in the fleet itself, and at least one fleet with a majority Zentradi population (Macross 5 fleet).] Aside from that, one of 7's extra episodes spoiler[(Fleet of the Strongest Women) suggests that there are still quite a number of loose Zentradi fleets around. Considering that the Bodolza fleet was just one of many, it's likely that there are still more than a few Zentradi fleets out there, since space IS very big. :3] Either way, there's bound to be a couple of Zentradi around in Frontier, maybe Ranka is one, lol (hey, she DOES have green hair Laughing ).
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I think Ozma was surprised at seeing Ranka on tv not because she was there... more so "what is she doing on tv"!

Also in regards to Zentradi + main characters in this show spoiler[I think Michael is part Zentradi]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I just finished watching Do You Remember Love? earlier this morning and I loved it. Having watched that wonderful movie, I cannot wait to watch the original series since it is much more fleshed out. I'll also be watching Plus later followed by Zero (which was animated by Satelight, w00t!).

As for the premiere episode: you're right. Not having to watch it gives us time to catch up on the Macross franchise. Smile

Cool! I've got DYRL downloading right now alongside Plus, and from the looks of things I should be getting around to watching it today. Should be good stuff. After that it'll be Plus and then Zero one after the other, which both should be very easy to get through since it's only a combination of like, 9 episodes.

Not sure when I'll watch the 39 episode original, but I will at some point anyways. It's a bit daunting, especially since I want to eventually get around to watching the Shaman King anime (reading the manga right now, truly, truly good stuff Smile ), but 39 episodes shouldn't be too bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 49