• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-28]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:36 am Reply with quote
It's odd but I can barely think of any EDs I like. There's the one from Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. and Cowboy Bebop and thats it.

I've never seen the need to read an anime magazine for the reasons Zac stated. There's enough info on the internet that it's just unnecessary.

I'm certainly not opposed to North American animation. There are a ton of animated comedies I enjoy. I'm a huge fan of Undergrads. It's probably one of my favorite TV shows of all times. Of course there's Family Guy, Simpsons, South Park, Futurama, King of the Hill, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Robot Chicken, Boondocks, Harvey Birdman, Bromwell High....There's bound to be more that elude me right now.

I have to be honest, I don't really see the big deal about Pixar films. I can recognize the animation's quality. In terms of the rest though, I just don't see it. To be fair I haven't really seen much recent stuff such as Ratatouille which Zac seems to always mention. They're mildly entertaining sure, but they always seem a little cliche and none of the humor is really all that deep or exceptionally clever. I just don't see what the big deal is.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I started noticing anime fan elitism toward American animation in my college anime club during the early 2000s, when some older friends and I would ask if anyone wanted to check out the latest Pixar movie with us and we'd get sneers from the 15-year olds telling us it was "baby stuff". Then they'd turn around and continue watching Yu-Yu Hakusho or some other tournament series aimed at children under 10 in Japan.

ROFL. It is really sad when this teenage angst doesn't die when they reach adulthood. While xenophilia might be acceptable, this hostility towards American animation is just like any prejudice: it's stupid. As Zac wrote, Americans cartoons are good at different things. If you don't accept that, you'll never be able to enjoy it. Every now and then I want to just have a good mindless laugh and slapstick humor does the job extremely well. And yes, I'm talking about Spongebob Squarepants. I wish I could watch stuff like Superjail and Adventure Time.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
Alot of the older Animes have some pretty cool OP/ED's

Steam Detectives
Silent Mobius

(I'm a big fan of Kia Asamiya's work.....just not the Batman/X-Men stuff.)

Kinda partial to some recent ones.

Black Lagoon
related Music Video by MELL

Ghost in the Shell Solid State Society

Oddly, enough, my favorite OP....is from a Tokusatsu Series:

Tokkei Winspector
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
Well, there's more then this but heres the ones I pop my fave VHS and dvd's in frequently just to rewatch....

I also like Card Captor Sakura Ending 3. But my preference is En Francais! released here in Canada by Nelvana [yes, they released CCS here in 3 languagues, using the pre-made dub from France]

Now to scar Zack and his readers forever....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W_F2KX5VqJM

I also really enjoyed-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Oi0jppFi5rM Aura Battler Dunbine's Ending Theme [which screams 80's, but is quite nice]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m0givXIpKHg I recently fell in love with Gunbuster 2's ending theme. I keep dropping my discs into my DVD player just to listen to it again and again--- YouTube+Computer speakers do NOT do it justice, soundwise, or visually- these are gorgeous illustrations.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3amrSAv6LL4 I have a soft spot for the Southern Cross ending theme...

And the BEST OF THE Best!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u_0CNnp6wkw
Maze's "Don't Touch Junk Boy"

*and yes, I do like YouTube, but only when it's used for short clips, trailers and stuff like that :)*

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Now to scar Zack and his readers forever....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W_F2KX5VqJM

K.o.R

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote
That French one's pretty good actually.

I'd take a dubbed song over some rap any day

As for ending songs, well it has to be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGc7uXJarf4
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:25 am Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:

I forgot about that one! That's also pretty adorable/fun ^_^ For those wondering, Kaboom released CCS in french on VHS here [using the same design as the english vhses...... we also had about 4 or 5 more dub vhs releases then Pioneer did in the states, though no corresponding dvd editions], in addition to Nelvana airing on the french language version of Teletoon, and it's a good deal different from the english dub.
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
Yes! Fruit Candy is an awesome ending ^^
although I prefer the second FMA ending Beyond the Door
the bleach ending is so odd I <3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b87IHVFh6ew
and shugo chara's is good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWhMn244paA&feature=related
and .hack roots ending is excelent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS0GZo5XyXs

and who can forget Gankotsuou's ending?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvYSesVQtw

first anime - Sailor Moon and Pokémon
first anime I actuall recognized as 'anime'- Gundam SEED, shortly followed by Inuyasha Razz

I've never actually had issues, when people ask about the manga I'm reading I usually give a simple summary of what it is and the story and they either leave it alone or are interested themselves
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
I got into anime the same way most of the fans my age did Toonami (Voltron and Robotech where the first 'anime')

why oh why has CN so disfigured our old friend...

as for hating American animation I just can't get into 90% of it any more (either it's just too stupid or it's just a transparent rip off of something else I watched a long time ago). don't get me wrong I like Pixar but most of the stuff on TV just doesn't work for me anymore

Ending I'm surprised no one has Mentioned Gundam 00's 2nd ED
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For me one of the best closers ever will always be the first closer for Gasaraki. It makes more sense if you've seen the series, but its great song and high-caliber animation and artistry can be appreciated by anyone:

See it here.

EDIT: Apparently I was looking up the above link while the previous two references got posted or I would have just agree with them. Razz

Definitely agree on Gasaraki. Heck, Gasaraki as a series is a great viewing (a lot of people don't have the patience for it) but my god it definitely has to be one of the most overlooked anime series by the younger anime fans.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The answerfans answers were depressing. Princess Mononoke at age 10, people who got into anime because of Pokemon all of you shame for making me feel old. No answers of newer anime then Robotech should have been allowed.

lol, how about Speed Racer? Is that old enough for ya? Wink That was my first anime, but Pokemon was the show that got me REALLY into it. That seems to be a very common theme around here.

As far as American animation goes, the last shows that I really loved were Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans, and Danny Phantom. Now that those are gone, there isn't anything that holds my interest. Why is it that the good shows are always the ones that get cancelled?

Oh, and Pixar movies rock hardcore. The only one I didn't really like was Cars, but The Incredibles, Monsters Inc., and the Toy Story films are all masterpieces.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
Have I ever faced ridicule for liking anime? Actually, no. Hell, I wore anime shirts at school and no one cared. My little sister gave me a little bit of crap, but that's it.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
I liked this week's Answerman. I didn't skip a single answer. None of those boring questions about the industry, just good old fashioned anime questions.

As for American Animation, I am a HUGE sucker for Homestar Runner. Besides Homestar, I like a lot of the old school 'toons, like Rocko, Kablam!, Invader Zim, and a few of the current ones like Avatar, Spongebob (I heard rumors that it's getting canceled, though!), Fairly Oddparents (I'm pretty sure it just recently ended, though), Robot Chicken, Home Movies, the occasional Family Guy... It's just a lot of the current cartoons are pretty bad. I cried tears of blood when I found out Camp Lazlo came from the Genius behind Rocko's Modern Life. I actually wrote an essay at school about the degrading state of American cartoons these days, and a lot of it was based on something that the Brother's Chap said when they refused an offer to put Homestar on Adult Swim. It's that the networks are only letting people make cartoons that are based on gags rather than characters. The Brothers Chap were smart keeping Homestar on the internet. They said that if they were to put it on TV, the networks would butcher it and make it gag oriented. That's the problem. The writer's aren't being given enough freedom. That's why Homestar stands out, it's published online, and it's exactly how TBC visioned it...

As for answerfans, I never really get ridiculed, exactly. All of my friends, family, and teachers are tolerant, accepting, curious about, or even interested in anime and manga. However, there is a certain someone in my class who is a bit ignorant, but it's more annoying than anything.

To help you understand, I go to a small, you can say private school, there are only like 8 students in my class, and all but two of them are interested in manga in some way. One of the people who isn't into manga I'm really good friends with, and I'm starting to get him into manga. The other guy well... He means well, but sometimes he can seem a bit ignorant, like calling anime Chinese.

For example, I was at some animation class and before I could even introduce myself to the teachers (who knew a lot about anime), he talked for me, getting all the information wrong. This was the conversation.

Him: This is ____ (I prefer not giving out my real name, Kari Itenogi is actually an alias), and she's a fan of Chinese-
Me: NOT CHINESE!
Him: I didn't say you were Chinese! I said you were a fan of Chinese animation!
Me: It's Japanese!

I couldn't even properly introduce myself because of him!

Sometimes he does get the country right, but he expects me to know everything about Japan (and China, whenever he makes that mistake), and calls me the class's "Japanese/Chinese Expert". He thinks I'm fluent in Japanese/Chinese, that I love every aspect of Japanese/Chinese culture, and that I know everything about China/Japan. Whenever he sees Kanji, he tells me to read it, and when I say I can't, he whines "But you're the Japanese expert!". Once we were playing some trivia game, and it asked something about Chinese Checkers. I, having never played Chinese Checkers in my entire life, was totally clueless, and he said "Come on! You're our Chinese expert!". And once he asked me about Sumo Wrestling. I told him I wasn't interested in that, and he said "But you love Japan!". What made him think an average American girl would be interested in a bunch of fat guys in loin cloths knocking each other around? It's cute and kind of flattering when he calls me an expert on Japanese culture, (it's true I know more about Japan than everyone in my class, which is only like, 8 students), but it's so annoying when he confuses it with China, and expects me to know EVERYTHING.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
And yes, I'm talking about Spongebob Squarepants. I wish I could watch stuff like Superjail and Adventure Time.

Thank you so much for posting that Spongebob video. Laughing I wish Nick would air Adventure Time. It's positively algebraic!

I like a fair bit of American cartoons. I thought Jimmy Neutron used to be pretty funny, and Fairly Odd Parents, but later episodes have been not so great. (Or maybe I just grew up a little?) I still enjoy the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Storm Hawks, Spongebob, Kappa Mikey and of course Avatar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8