• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
I didn't mean to suggest that LoGH and Code Geass deal with the same set of issues, I probably should have made my post more clear about it.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, this is probably going to be my final lengthy post on this so I might as well make it count.

My next replies will certainly be shorter as, once again, the main discussion has already been exhausted.

Unicorn_Blade wrote:
You mentioned I think somehwhere before that the author/director meant in a way to criticise Lelouche's actions or make him look like a bad character, or something along this line. However it seems he kept it all to himself, because there is no sign of critique in the show as for L's behaviour.

Actually, that's not quite what I meant. The creators are, going both by what they've said and by numerous indications in both seasons of the show, aware of the fact that Lelouch does fit a traditionally "evil" character archetype and that his actions are morally questionable. The thing is, instead of using such an individual as the antagonist or "villain" of the story, who must clearly and unequivocally be wrong at the end of the tale, they've made him the protagonist. It's the opposite of your usual anime setup where we rarely get to see anything from the "morally questionable" perspective and most of our sympathies are reserved for the traditionally "heroic" character.

In my opinion, the point of the show isn't really to criticize or praise Lelouch, so to speak, as much as it is to tell a character-centric story and, to a certain extent, raise some questions along the way that viewers should be able to answer for themselves. I believe zaphdash has already argued something along those lines as well. That many, but certainly not all, of the characters come to sympathize with him doesn't mean their previous criticisms of his actions are invalidated. They just aren't being used as a vessel for moral judgment anymore.

The final word, in all honesty, isn't theirs or Lelouch's: it's the audience's. We're all free to decide.

If you expect the narrative to come out and scream "Lelouch is a terrible person who should disgust everyone in attendance because everything he did was wrong" then that tends to miss the target. It's entirely possible to reach that conclusion as an external observer, by all means, but I don't think the show was (morally or otherwise) ever obligated to enforce it as an absolute judgment or "moral of the story" in the end.

Quote:
Not one character ever points out Lelouche's hypocrisy. Except for Schneizel who gets discredited a few episodes later on by being a potential mass murderer, which makes his argument look stupid, or Nina responsible for Fleia. In other words, only those characters portrayed as to some extent evil dare to point out L's flaws, but no one takes them seriously because they are evil. Or just lost- and they need to be shown the right path. The path of Lelouche. Characters who do seem to make some sort of critique towards Lelouche all end up loving him in the end.

I don't intend to make a complete list of characters who did criticize Lelouch at various points in the story and explain why I believe your evaluation of them isn't entirely fair....but I really have to point out that Suzaku is, in fact, both implicitly and explicitly critical of Lelouch for the overwhelming majority of the show. Which, in all honesty, isn't insignificant as he is perhaps the second most important character for the story. Arguably, his eventual reconciliation with Lelouch was only possible after they both had psychologically broken down, which isn't really a sign of who was "right" or "wrong" from a moral perspective. If anything, the fact that Suzaku gets to be the world's "hero" while Lelouch ends up as a "villain" in recorded history is, as cynical as it may be, a partial vindication of his own original mindset and behavior.

Someone might argue that Suzaku was supposed to be "wrong" because he was the antagonist but, to say nothing else, I would point out that a good percentage of the Code Geass fanbase actually sympathized with his points of view even as others found him "annoying" or "idiotic" (which is, curiously, not an unusual polarization in anime).

Aside from this, I believe we're still in direct disagreement about what Lelouch thinks of his own actions, for reasons that have already been discussed before and which I'll reference at least once more in this post.

Quote:

I never said I am agains any kind fo symphaty, but I think there is no counter balance for this overflowing love and admiration for Lelouche. I miss a character that would provide a real worthy opponent, rather than a bunch of characters that all in all end up being portrayed as idiots, which makes all their critique of Lelouche's actions invalid. Discredit of all his oponents make it seem like in fact there was no one worthy enough to point out he was wrong.

You have the right to make that interpretation and reach that conclusion, but I'd beg to differ. In addition to what I've said above about Suzaku, I'll just point out that the show does absolutely nothing to discredit Euphemia's philosophy and what she represents as an entirely valid alternative to both Lelouch's and Suzaku's behavior. In fact, someone could always make the case that the true (thematic) tragedy of the story is hers as opposed to Lelouch's, in a way, because of its ultimate implications and consequences.

Quote:
I will once again hint at Gungrave, which succeeds in everything that CG fails at. Gungrave makes CG look like a piece of cheap propaganda really.

I haven't seen Gungrave myself so I'll just have to take your word for it, but I'm fairly sure that the differences in terms of quality and execution between the two series, whatever they might be, cannot obscure the fact that the purposes and structures of their respective stories are also inevitably going to be different. I don't believe making them equivalent from the outset is an accurate representation.

Quote:

No I don't confuse them. I explained it above- the construction of the plot where all major characters either syphhatise with Lelouche or get shown by him that they were all so wrong is a tool that is used to pretty much say the viewer that if you criticise him, you are wrong as well.

Sympathizing with a character as a person doesn't mean validating their morality as correct.

Lelouch "won" in that his main goals were achieved, but he paid a price for it. Doesn't make him right either.

That's certainly an area where our interpretations aren't seeing eye to eye at all.

Nothing in the show, as I understood it, told me that Lelouch was immune to any kind of criticism.

Quote:

Also, lelouche NEVER throughout the whole show accepts any responsibility for any of his actions...

Unfortunately, I must strongly disagree with you about that as well, which ties into what I've previously discussed about Lelouch and his behavior earlier in this thread. You might not agree with the way he does so or find it ultimately lacking from a moral perspective, fair enough, but in my opinion Lelouch does accept responsibility for many of his actions.

Quote:

One thinag about this: Lelouche suspected the first trap which is why he called out Guillford right before it, did he not? So as I said, he has magnificent fortunetelling abilities right until and after the one point when millions of human lives are involved.

He did, intellectually speaking, take measures in order to react against a potential trap. Doesn't really mean that Suzaku's supposed "betrayal" still didn't hit him like a ton of bricks. I don't know about you, but I've also taken precautions against something or other and still felt terrible when it comes to pass. If it is a contradiction, it is a very human one and not a writing flaw (not that there is any lack of them elsewhere in the show).

Not to mention that the entire show is full of situations where Lelouch's plans didn't work out or were hindered by someone or something else, whether this led to casualties or not, so there's no real point in claiming that all of his abilities are somehow supposed to be perfect by default.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
I can see your point, but maybe because we are focusing on different elements, our perception of the show is quite different?

I did say that various characters were criticising Lelouche. However, my point was not that the critique has not been made, but that people who did attempt to criticise him either ended up being discredited as being psychopats, or they 'realise' they were wrong and had to 'convert' (Nina, Li Xingke). Lelouche is being constatnly represented as the better alternative for everything. And this constant portrayal of the whole world as corrupt and pointless and Lelouche as the only real alternative is something that I found extremely irritating, since his bad deeds are being mireaculously forgotten or even better, not even attributed to him. I dont mean in the eyes of the public opinion in the show, but in the eyes of all the major characters, which of course influence the perception of the audience.

Then we have Suzaku. I actually really liked his character in the first season, when he still had an opinion of his own and proved one worthy oponent to Lelouche. But of course the authors had to ruin his character in the second season, where he was changing his mind as if he were a weather-cock during a storm, plus his ambition to become the first knight to Schneizel, kill the emperor... etc etc, which of course would discredit any valid points he would have made before.

Out of the others characters that did criticise Lelouche, how many of them did so towards the end of the show? None, since they either got geassed, or were sitting in contemplation thinking how wonderful his sacrifice was. Or died whispering Lelouche's name, despite all the harm he did to them (Rollo, Shirley...)

This is what made CG for me a mediocre show, although it started off so well.

Quote:
Nothing in the show, as I understood it, told me that Lelouch was immune to any kind of criticism.

I cant think of a single example where Lelouche gets out and answers any sort of critique, or openly accepts any sort of responsibility, except for the one conversation with Suzaku, who is anyways more concerned with Euphrmia than his fellow dead countrymen. L. constantly challenges everyone's views, but never lets himself being challenged. The only time when any sort of confrontation was about to happen he buggers of in Rolo's arms to safety. Smile And finally, he never accepts any sort of criticism. He considers people who criticise him as those who opppose him, and sees them as literally idiots. They are the ones who are wrong. He actually even says it a few times: "How dare they", he sees no fault in himself of course.

Oh, actually I think I posted this question on the previous page, but dont think anyone answered, and maybe anyone knows?

Is there a sort of assumption that Japanese/Britanians are of different race, therefore would look different? I remember people immediately recognise Viletta as a Britannian when she hides in Ohgi's place. Then Id say that since the plot takes a lot of details from the real world it would be sorf of obvious that britannians were of different race as thr Japanese. But then Kallen is half Japanese, and obviously no one ever notices that she might look any different from a pure blood Britannian or question her race affiliation.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
@Unicorn_Blade:

Perception is a part of it, no doubt, but only up to a certain point. Nevertheless, I'll wrap this up on my end.

Even if I brought out the script for each episode, which seems necessary after reading certain statements, we could literally go at it for eternity and still disagree. The same set of facts doesn't guarantee equal interpretations.

Nina felt she needed to make up for the weapon she had created. What's more, she clearly says she won't forget what Zero did. Her going along with the plan doesn't mean she likes Lelouch, much less his methods. Li Xingke accepted that Zero could be more honorable than how he initially acted, but was ready to resist if he had tried to do otherwise. I don't believe either of those qualifies as their simply "converting" to Lelouch's way of thinking.

Your conclusion about Suzaku's previous criticism being "discredited" is one I find to be external or optional, as opposed to internal or mandatory. It's something of a fallacy to say that the validity of a person's arguments depends on their behavior or how they are treated by life (the narrative). I don't share your logic here.

There's a subtle difference between accepting criticism and accepting responsibility, but the show has instances of each. Off the top of my head, Lelouch accepts both when he meets with Suzaku (second and third time) and with Euphemia (if you count implicit criticism, which I certainly do). He also accepts responsibility before Suzaku (first time), the Black Knights (twice) and Nunnally. The thing is, you seem to believe this must always be a constructive acceptance while I understand that it can also be (self-)destructive, as previously described.

That Lelouch often mocks his enemies or those who oppose him in battle is one thing, but I don't think it is accurate to extrapolate that as a general principle applicable to all other situations which do not necessarily fall under either of those conditions. If that were the case, what I just mentioned wouldn't have happened.

The issue of race is half a matter of the art style, I'd say, and the rest is simply the Superman / Clark Kent effect selectively applied to race as opposed to identity. Unrealistic but something I file under suspension of disbelief.

Having said all of the above, I would like to formally retire from this debate until further notice.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for late reply, might end up skipping some stuff, especially what has already been covered in my absence, in the interest of saving time.

Charred Knight wrote:
If you make a mistake, and cause great harm you don't cause more harm to dull the pain. If I run over some guy's dog, I am not going to then run over his kid to make me running over his dog not look so bad, and yet Lelouch does just that.

False analogy, Lelouch wasn't trying to "dull the pain," he was trying to achieve a goal. Mistakes were made but he kept his eye on the prize.

Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I think Im a bit tired of reading your 'so what?' questions. You say Lelouche is a hero of the show. And so what, I can askequally. Does this mean he must be idealised and worshipped? You abuse the word machiavellan here, as if the fact of Lelouche's questionable genious and abuse of geass made himany closer the The Prince. A lot of dictators and war criminals would be then loved to be considered machiavellan, because that sounds so much nicer than murderer or psychopath. Would you say Saddam was machiavellan? After all, he was aiming at a greater good... for his family.

Well, I should probably preface by pointing out that "Machiavellian" is generally a pejorative term, so it's not to Lelouch's credit that he can be described that way. Generally speaking, it would probably be fair to classify Saddam Hussein as "Machiavellian," but that's not a defense of Saddam. The point I've been trying to make all along is that the story itself is a rumination on Machiavelli. When you distort the facts, as you have been doing throughout this discussion, you miss the greater point. It is perfectly fine to not be ok with Lelouch's methods. I have no interest in convincing you otherwise. As I've said time and again, I would not be cool with a real life Lelouch. But I think this show does a better job of addressing complex themes than most anime do, and I think you're doing both yourself and the show a disservice when you characterize Lelouch as some coldblooded killer without considering the greater context. There's a rich discussion to be had here and we aren't having it because you refuse to fairly and accurately appraise Lelouch's character.

Quote:
A hero might as well be demonised, and I think here the show would profit out of it, becoming more real, more mature and less directed to satisfy teenage girls who fall for pretty characters. Making Lelouche all pretty is a cheap way out, that's it. I didn't expect the show to give a definite answer, but I was also disappointed at the fact that he was glorified and treated as a hero, through Kallens final commentary, Nunnaly's tears and the whole cheesy ending including people with smiles on their faces. It is kind of like lets say, nuking H iroshima and Nagasaki, and later on making an American documentary about happy Japanese people because the war ended. Again, this is my remark pointed towards bad, simplified writing.

It's possible to be happy that the war is over without being happy about how it ended. It's not really a good analogy anyway though because to translate Code Geass to the WW2 example, Japan would have gotten nuked but still emerged victorious in the long run.

Quote:
I see how Lelouche had not an actual tool to kill Euphemia, although I do not believe that he would not have found something as he always did when he needed to (knocking her out would have done a trick as well for heavens sake). Here he decided to use an opportinity to kill her when it was most convenient.

How could he knock her out? Again, he's notoriously out of shape. He was taken by surprise and she immediately took off down the hall. He's got to catch her before he can knock her out. He chased her all the way to the stage before he was stopped by Britannian guards. Where was his opportunity to knock her out?

Quote:
As for Fleia. Ok, imagine a situaton when you have a huge battle coming. And someone tells you that they have a new weapon that can make a huge whole in the ground and kill millions of people. Would you really say: whatever, man? regardless of who says it? Suzaku works for Schneizel who is not exactly known for producing lousy technology that does not work. Would you not think that there might be some truth in it? Specially being an omniscent character yoourself who can figure out what people will say before they even know thy will say anything al all?

Against someone with whom I have a prior relationship, who has just hours earlier lied to me and betrayed me (or at least that's how I understand it), who tells me (as I'm leading an army with a considerable numerical advantage, considering much of the enemy army has been disabled) that he has a heretofore unheard of super weapon and so we shouldn't fight after all? Yeah I'd probably call his bluff. I'm not saying that's necessarily the right move, but I don't think it's at all unreasonable; so what I guess I am saying is I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" move here.

Quote:
Besides, Lelouche would have known about the school incident when Nina went all crazy and wanted to blow everyone up, and he would have knowna about Lloyds reaction when she wanted to detonate the bomb (if I remember he was at the school at that point? and if he wasnt, someone would have told him). So he should have suspected that by refining the idea, such weapon would be possible to create. So it would not matter whether Schneizel would tune in to the conversation in person, or whether Suzaku told Lelouche about the danger. Suzaku did not tell him "I have this bomb than can kill your army", he said that it was a danger for the civilisation on the whole city, but as I said before, Lelouche never shown much care about people's lives, regardless if it was hundreds or thousands. He was not particularly shocked when the Imperial city was nuked either.

You don't remember -- he was not at school at that point. How would anyone have told him? They all got their memories wiped by Charles's Geass. And on top of that, Nina's bomb didn't even work. You're thinking when he gets this vague threat that he should remember back to that thing that happened a year ago that someone may or may not have told him about and assume it's the same weapon and they managed to make it work? You're really stretching for reasons to hate Lelouch here.

Lelouch expected Schneizel to make a move, but if you'll recall, he did immediately call all his people back from threatening the UFN when he got news, so it's not like he just coolly shrugged and went on his way after Pendragon got destroyed.

Quote:
Well, we have a contradiction here. On the one hand he wanted people to have free will, on the other, he forced everyone to accept his vision. It seems like he did not really know what he wanted as long as it was making sure everyone would follow his orders. He finally agreed people to believe they have freedom while by manipulting them, depriving them of dignity and confusing his closest ones. He would give them a sort of limited freedom, where they acted exactly as he wanted. In a way this is not far off what Charles and Marianne planned. What is different, is whose plan was the one that was reinforced. Lelouche was dying knowing that people would hate him, but it was all about him, that he created this wonderful world.

At some point I'm just going to get lazy and start quoting my old posts back to you. And actually, that point is right now:

Quote:
So anything that happens is necessarily going to have to conform to somebody's vision. Nothing happens in a vacuum or completely free of human will. If anyone, whether Lelouch or otherwise, challenges Charles, they are necessarily trying to create their vision of what the world should be. If no one challenges him, then Charles's own vision remains in place. So I guess I'm just not exactly sure what you're complaining about, or maybe more accurately, I think you're complaining about a basic fact of human existence that when two or more people want different things, the ultimate result of that conflict is going to conform to what someone else wanted. But the difference between Lelouch and everyone else is Lelouch wanted a world where people were still free to choose what to do with their lives. As he puts it, Charles wants a world where you're living in the past, even interacting with the dead. Charles is that guy who still hangs out around his old high school years after graduation because he doesn't want to move on. Schneizel wanted to preserve the world as it currently was, fearing that the future might be worse; he didn't necessarily want to go backwards but he wanted stagnation and the status quo. Lelouch wanted "tomorrow," an uncertainty that clearly made Charles and Schneizel uncomfortable, where the only thing that was certain was the fact that nothing was to be decided for anyone else. You're right that Lelouch is still enforcing his own personal vision on people, but his vision is essentially the same thing as when people say that "the only rule is that there are no rules." Lelouch goes through his brutal dictatorship where nobody can do anything for a brief period so that he can bring about an indefinitely long era of peace and tranquility where people can do whatever they want. That sets him apart from both Charles and Schneizel.

Quote:
Lelouche faced this situation twice, but the second time he regained the memory, and he was no longer scared or surprised or shocked by the power of geass. He is sold blooded about the whole thing. he knows the power of his geass, he does not need to have the soldiers killed. I think you tend to treat him as a sort of scared, innocent boy who just woke up into a nightmare, maybe by seeing yourself in his situation, which is not true. It is not a kill or be killed situation. it is: kill, or let them goand forget about the whole thing. Even when he fir st kill the soldierat the beginning of the first series, he does not look shocked. he reminds me of kids that tear off insects legs to see what happens to them, except that he does it on humans. He is cold and calculated. "If I tell them to kill themselves, will they do it. They did, my power is amazing"- which is what he says in general in the second episode. This is not what a scared student would have said, is it?

I don't think he's a scared student, but I also don't have huge moral qualms with killing soldiers in self-defense, particularly soldiers who were about to murder someone who, for all they knew, was just a scared student. You go so far in trying to demonize Lelouch here that you seem to be forgetting that he wasn't exactly fighting against the nicest bunch of guys either.

Quote:
And funny how he seems to cherish innocent civilians lives then, but later on lets hundreds of thousands of them get butchered on different occasions. As I said, whatever is convenient to him.

It's not funny because it's not an accurate characterization of what actually happened in the show.

Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I never said that it was unlikely, to for example Nunnaly cry for Lelouche or Kallen like him despite of what he did. I just said that I was disappointed with such portrayal. You mentioned I think somehwhere before that the author/director meant in a way to criticise Lelouche's actions or make him look like a bad character, or something along this line. However it seems he kept it all to himself, because there is no sign of critique in the show as for L's behaviour.

Not one character ever points out Lelouche's hypocrisy. Except for Schneizel who gets discredited a few episodes later on by being a potential mass murderer, which makes his argument look stupid, or Nina responsible for Fleia. In other words, only those characters portrayed as to some extent evil dare to point out L's flaws, but no one takes them seriously because they are evil. Or just lost- and they need to be shown the right path. The path of Lelouche. Characters who do seem to make some so

Do you need your hand held through everything? Do you need to be told how to feel? Lelouch's actions speak for themselves. The fact that you and others in this thread feel so strongly about him that you'll even falsely describe him to bolster your point demonstrates clearly enough that the show didn't need somebody to show up at the end and say "BTW I don't know if you noticed but Lelouch did some pretty bad stuff." Not all movies/TV/anime/etc are intended to be a fully passive experience in which everything is neatly explained to you and you're given cues or outright instructions about how you should feel or react to this or that. Code Geass was intended to spark discussion about how far you can justifiably go to fight evil. But as I said above, that's not a discussion you can have until you're ready to accept the actual events of the show on their own terms -- terms which are frankly pretty unambiguous as long as you aren't looking for or outright creating reasons to hate Lelouch.

Quote:
No, what I said is that the word machiavellan was heavily abused in this discussion in attempt to screen Lelouches actions and instead of calling them by their name call them something they were not. My point was that not all Lelouches actions can be labelled machiavellan, and not all of them all 'morally ambiguous' There is nothing morally ambiguous about mass murdering people whim you are supposed to protect.

Luckily Lelouch never "mass murdered" anyone he was supposed to protect in the real show that everyone except you watched, although he was indirectly responsible for mass killings that he never intended and so in my opinion for which he is not morally culpable.

Quote:
zaphdash you are of course right that western Europe has been enjoying peace for a very long time, the problem is that focusing only on western Europe means overlooking the larger picture, the consequences of the Second World War were not limited to peace in western Europe.

I respect that you want to drop out, just wanted to hit this real quick.

It's a completely fair point, it's just very difficult to extrapolate beyond Western Europe where the nuclear factor does start to play a big role, particularly once you start discussing various proxy wars between the US and USSR. There have been tons of conflicts in the past 65 years, but they've all generally been localized, either civil wars or wars between two or three neighboring countries. Most of those stayed small because the world at large unfortunately doesn't really care if small African countries slaughter each other or something, others stayed small because to let them blow up into something bigger risked the destruction of world civilization. I wouldn't try to suggest that WW2 fundamentally altered human nature, which is to compete and fight for limited resources, but it's just worth pointing out that various countries most touched by the war have more or less avoided major conflicts since then. Western Europe is gradually uniting (explicitly to avoid a repeat of WW2), Japan still has a pacifist constitution (albeit, forced on them, but it's been 65 years now, who's going to stop them from changing it? And some right wingers do want to, but it hasn't happened so far), China has mostly only provided support to allies or engaged in fairly minor conflicts, Soviet Union notably did fight some wars (particularly Afghanistan), but most of what it did, particularly conquering Eastern Europe, was in the interest of creating a buffer zone around it specifically to avoid getting attacked again (Russia also obviously continues to get into various conflicts, but all pretty small scale). It's impossible to make the argument that the Soviet Union didn't start WW3 because it was still scarred by WW2 when you can make the obvious counterclaim that the Soviet Union simply didn't want to get nuked into oblivion in WW3. That said, it is not insignificant that there have been no major conflicts since WW2 -- but I focus on Europe because they're the only ones that have expressly said the reason they aren't fighting is they don't want to go through WW2 again, and they're also the ones who have been most successful in avoiding it.
mrcuteguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Just finish the series , wow rarely do i find an anime so satisfying. I mean the storyline and plot were fantastic to begin with. The show is almost perfect with those twist and turn.

The ending really did surprise me and totally caught me off guard although we already know what suzaku and lulu had in mind but din expect it to go into that extend ... a very sad ending but answered most questions without doubt

Thumbs up for this anime !!!
Saadanime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
I will talk generally about the story of the anime and the negative aspects that make the anime not very good especially the actor condemned the anime by an irrevocable end
The personality that I hate in all the anime is Suzaku , the actor he should have made Zuzaku the villain and sacrifice him instead of Lelouch so that the anime can continue, and he should not have killed Shirley Fenette. What stupidity
I hope the actor released a season 3 in which lelouch is alive
he ordered all people to see him die but the truth is not,
or the C.C. girl she has superhuman healing ability she saved him just before dying,
or he can transfer his soul and will as she did her mother
there are several solutions so that the anime can continue. Question Arrow
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 83 of 83