• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jump SQ.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jump Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone read Jump SQ.? I really like it, it's a whole lot better than Monthly Shonen Jump. I love all the Supreme Yomikiri Series and the serializations are pretty good. I just got the Wikipedia article a GA rating: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_Square. My favorite serialized manga/light novels from it are: Tista, Luck Stealer, Tegami Bachi, Kosuke Masuda Gekijo Gag Manga Biyori, Akiba Zaiju, 3-Nen Z Kumi GinPachi Sensei (novel, ended), Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Kakushi Dan (novel), Claymore, Hokago Wind Orchestra, and Shiki. Which are pretty much all of them... Very Happy
tebalith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote
So more or less the only series you don't like is Embalming? Whyyyy? I love that series like crazy.

I recently found a copy of Jump SQ at my local store. Which is a rare thing to happen, really. It looks pretty damn fine in my shelf.
Shueisha is really trying their best to keep the magazine something special, with the constant oneshots of star authors...!
Jump Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
tebalith wrote:
So more or less the only series you don't like is Embalming? Whyyyy? I love that series like crazy.

I recently found a copy of Jump SQ at my local store. Which is a rare thing to happen, really. It looks pretty damn fine in my shelf.
Shueisha is really trying their best to keep the magazine something special, with the constant oneshots of star authors...!

I forgot Embalming... Sad Crying or Very sad Anime cry NOOOOO!!!! But you know you can always go to Little Tokyo and go to Books Kinokuniya they have em'. I have every issue, exept the first. So where did you find the issue? Was it just a comic store?
ryusaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I've been following Embalming pretty intently, as such I think Watsuki has got way back up to par in terms as a Manga-Ka, Embalming is taking that classic tale of Frankenstein and expanding the universe, thus Watsuki is adding his key Shonen romanticism to it, so I'm thinking it'll be one of those masterpieces of Shonen manga, but that's a bold statement and it's just my opinion none the less.

I tried reading Kure-nai but I couldn't get into all that much.

Shiki has caught my attention throughly though (almost in the same vain as Death Note), currently I've only read one chapter, and Luck Stealer I'm planning on reading.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
I love this magazine. I had to decide between collecting this or Shounen Gangan, and this got my vote, simply because all the series in Shounen Gangan that I like I end up buying the tanks for.

My favorites (in order):
1. Tista (and that's a big #1. I put Endou Tatsuya up there with Hiromu Arakawa (fullmetal alchemist) in terms of sheer storytelling ability.)
2. Shiki (I <3 Ono's stories)
3. Embalming (I hated it until I read the pilot chapters though. Fury is not nearly as interesting as John Doe)
4. Matsuri Special (I don't care to explain why...)
5. Kure-nai (not nearly as good as the TV show)
tebalith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Jump Guru wrote:
I forgot Embalming... Sad Crying or Very sad Anime cry NOOOOO!!!! But you know you can always go to Little Tokyo and go to Books Kinokuniya they have em'. I have every issue, exept the first. So where did you find the issue? Was it just a comic store?

I don't live in the USA. Trust me, not every place in every country in the world has easy access to Japanese magazines.

Shiki has bored me a little, recently. It has really good moments, scary, too, but I don't really care much for the characters themselves. They could get some more personality or characterization.
weils

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
My local Kinokuniya sells Jump SQ on its monthly release date, so it's easy to pick it up.

I just bought the August issue with the Luck Stealer cover on it, it's my first purchased issue. I'm currently reading it for Claymore, but I'll see what other serialized titles in the mag interests me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1