• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DreamWorks to Make 3D Live-Action Ghost in the Shell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

Actually, that's not exactly true. Motoko chose to retain all the physical traits of her old body after her initial limb replacement/augmentation, and she's pretty explicit about this towards the end of SAC (can't remember exactly where). So she isn't really a "generic model cyborg", beyond the fact that she is almost entirely biomechanical in physical composition -- of course that in itself is important to her character.

But since it's the manga being adapted for the movie, they're probably going to go with the line of Motoko getting the body the government gives her and not being able to run off with it because they still own it. Also, I don't remember anything in SAC about Motoko keeping any part of her body; first off, how the heck would she have been able to do that spoiler[if she was six years old when she got her first body? When you see her as a kid in 2nd GIG after she's made the switch, she just looks like a little version of her adult self.] So unless she was born with purple hair and red eyes, I doubt that she still retains any part of her original physical appearance. Also, when spoiler[she and Batou were escaping the Section 9 offices after the attack ]at the end of the first season, she was the one talking about just switching her body as the circumstances required. And because I'm a show off, I'll also point out the bit spoiler[after the battle with the armed suit in the hotel] where Motoko goes to get her body replaced and Kurutan wonders why she didn't get a custom job.

Big Hed wrote:

As for her traditional beauty, that's subject to opinion, I guess -- I always thought of her as a babe, and there are points throughout GitS that lead me to believe this is the case. But indeed, just as much of what is attractive about her comes through in her persona and acrobatic capability...So again I'm led to thinking about the difficulty of casting her, heh.

Don't get me wrong, I think she's absolutely gorgeous, but not in an obvious, made-up way like most Hollywood action heroines are. It's often said that the most average faces are the most beautiful.

As for the possibility of just getting Mary Elizabeth McGlynn to actually act the role....I think I just orgasmed at the thought of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Spielberg will hold nothing back this time but unless that happens this is just another Spielberg film. I'll probably see it though, just to support GITS.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
As for the possibility of just getting Mary Elizabeth McGlynn to actually act the role....I think I just orgasmed at the thought of it.

LOL! Has she ever done any acting like that before?
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
im gonna agree with everyone here, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn needs to play Major, its a role suited only for her.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Murasakisuishou wrote:

LOL! Has she ever done any acting like that before?

Elfen Noir wrote:

She's going to have a small part in an upcoming 2008 movie called Quality Time, it'll be interesting to see her 'full-bodied' so to speak and see if she could cut it visually.

It's a shame I can't find any full body pictures of her. I've only ever seen her from the shoulders up. Seriously, though, I would die of pure joy if that happened.

Aw, heck, let's get the rest of the SAC cast out there while we're at it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
when you google her you come up with these and she looks perfect to play herself, I mean, the Major

person#1419

http://mechacon.com/images/Guests/marymcglynn.jpg

http://brandonfamily.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/dscn0604.JPG
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:

I'm interested to see how Dreamworks will handle the cast. This is supposedly future Japan and whatnot, but seeing as this is an American production now this will probably be in English and have a ethnically wider cast. A couple years ago for that reason alone I would spaz and conclude that this just couldn't be the way to do a good adaption, but now I realize that this is an adaption, so they must adapt! I just wonder how they'll handle the cultural translations. "Maybe future Japan is more multicultural?" or something like that.

Aside from Togusa and Aramaki, the rest of the cast is pretty ambiguous in relation to actual cultures. So long as they make some good casting choices, this shouldn't be a concern. So I think the main concern has to be the setting.

Then again, we could be given a curveball and Spielberg somehow manages to inject his love of Anti-Nazi themes and influences and turns the major into an Agent for Mossad.
Feniks9174

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

As for her traditional beauty, that's subject to opinion, I guess -- I always thought of her as a babe, and there are points throughout GitS that lead me to believe this is the case. But indeed, just as much of what is attractive about her comes through in her persona and acrobatic capability...So again I'm led to thinking about the difficulty of casting her, heh.

Don't get me wrong, I think she's absolutely gorgeous, but not in an obvious, made-up way like most Hollywood action heroines are. It's often said that the most average faces are the most beautiful.

I've always had the hots for the Major. It's funny you should mention that, though. At a psyche class in college, my professor told us about a study that measured facial geometry from a bunch of different people (distance between eyes, Nose size, etc.) and then showed those pictures to another group. The people who's facial geometry was closest to the average were generally considered to be more attractive, pretty much proving that "the most average faces are the most beautiful".

/tangent

I'd thought about the possibility of Mary Elizabeth McGwynn, but I'd never heard of her doing live action before. That and the fact that the only picture I've ever seen of her is at least 15 years old.

/Add: I'm still concerned about the actual production method. The whole "3D with the little glasses" thing always seemed like such a gimmick to me. I was hoping it would be something more along the lines of Beowulf.

Last edited by Feniks9174 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
pi8you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, there are some live-action credits to her name on imdb, I haven't seen any of her performances, but I'd agree that having her on the role would be interesting. As defining as her voice is as Motoko though, I think I'm more upset about the prospect of not having Batou's voice in the movie :|
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
pi8you wrote:
I think I'm more upset about the prospect of not having Batou's voice in the movie Neutral

While we're drafting Mary Elizabeth let's get Richard Epcar as well. I think he could pull off live-action Batou.
Forlorn Hope

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
From what I can gather, Mary Mcglynn did quite a bit of on-camera work before moving over to things like voice acting and ADR directing. She initially started doing more dubbing after a horse rolled on her and dislocated her kneecap when she was guest starring as Pandora in Xena: Warrior Princess. After that it was all off screen. I don't know if she'd be up to playing the Major now but I wouldn't have any complaints. Smile

Hopefully this movie will be decent enough that people will be interested in giving the TV series and/or animated movies a shot. There's always room for more GITS fans Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Getting some of the English VA cast from SAC would be awesome, although I've only ever seen Mary Mcglynn in an interview for the Cowboy Bebop movie where she did ADR directing. One thing I think would really alleviate my worries of what could go wrong with this live-action adaptation is getting Yoko Kanno to do the music.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Forlorn Hope wrote:
I don't know if she'd be up to playing the Major now but I wouldn't have any complaints. Smile

If she was offered the role, she'd have to be nuts to turn it down; I mean in the U.S. especially, Motoko is entirely her character. She certainly has the presence and the talent for it.
DamienStryker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind having the whole movie manage well... if it were to take off... it'd probably be within... erm... 2010?
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I feel only suspicion and distrust for this announcement.

Is this going to be set in Japan? Will the characters be Japanese?

Will the actors me made to look like Japanese people with artificial bodies? Will it cover some kind of approximation of a story from one of the Manga series? Will it be its own thing entirely?

I just assume it will get changed. Sort of like how GI Joe is supposedly going to be a European based UN sponsored group. That just seems to be the way these movies get made. Strip away everything of reasonable importance and only leave the facade of the actual work that inspired the film.

I won't see GI Joe if it isn't an American anti crime/terrorism unit, and I won't see GitS if it isn't a Japanese anti crime/terrorism unit. Changing such defining things like who and what a group represents, shows a complete lack of respect for the source material.

Also, I don't believe any famous actress exists who could play the Major. All the women being proposed in this thread are just "hot right now" throw-away actresses and famous names.

(edit - not counting Mary Elizbateh McGlynn, she is awesome and does an excellent job in the dub. I just don't know if she has the physique for it.)

I would prefer a relative no name who looks the part and can act. The Major has to be absolutely beautiful, unnervingly competent, and completely badass. I don't want the baggage of a known name taking away attention from the character and basically playing the same generic "tough girl."

A Japanese woman with a petite but athletic build, who can act very well, and won't mind having a lot of make up and effects work done to make her look like a flawless cyborg.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10