• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It merely increased his piloting skills once he learnt how to harness it; he couldn't break the laws of physics.

Think of it this way; Suzaku is about to be checkmated, and he doesn't see a way out. But then his live Geass activates. It doesn't let him move his king six places to the left like he wants. But it does let him concentrate on the game better, so he can spot the move that will get him out of trouble.

And once he really gets the hang of it, he can turn it around and use it for offense. It might not be a proper Geass, but it still has its uses.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
That's right but, wanting to clear something up just in case, it should also be pointed out that Suzaku himself does have enhanced reflexes that border on the supernatural though, that have nothing to do with the "Live!" Geass Lelouch placed on him, as demonstrated during the Mao arc back in season one. The details were not explained, unfortunately, but still remained as one of his inherent character traits.

To prevent any confusion though, the fact is Suzaku's "Live!" Geass would still only make him use those preexisting abilities to their full potential, it wouldn't give him any new ones nor would it make him immortal.
Precisionist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Imagine if there was a sequel to R2, there would be a lot of practical questions needing to be answered.

Does a Geass stick when the "caster" is no longer alive?

Could someone with an existing Geass effect also receive a Geass power (for instance, what if CC made a contract with Suzaku and gave him a power?).
Lucied

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
Precisionist wrote:
Does a Geass stick when the "caster" is no longer alive?

Could someone with an existing Geass effect also receive a Geass power (for instance, what if CC made a contract with Suzaku and gave him a power?).

1. We know that the answer is spoiler[yes, it persists.] We see in episode 22 of R2 that spoiler[Nunally remained blind, despite the fact that it was an effect of the Emperor's Geass.] We also see that spoiler[Anya remained under the effect of Marianne's Geass, despite that the latter died.]

2. It is doubtful, since we are lead to believe that each person's Geass is based on that person's desires/personality/etc. Since it is customized for that person, a second Geass, if it can be bestowed, would simply overlap with the first.

As for R2's ending, I have to disagree with all the comments that the end was only enjoyable for all the ridiculous twists (and certainly the comments that it was a complete trainwreck). It was extremely satisfying to see spoiler[Lelouch and Suzaku, having been enemies for so long, finally teamed up, and they won against the world.] The promise in episode 20 of season one has finally been delivered, and with excellent style. I must say that I am a sucker for Sunrise's spoiler[two close friends working together can accomplish anything plot element,] as seen in Infinite Ryvius, Gundam Seed/Destiny, and My-Otome Zwei.
Precisionist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:11 am Reply with quote
Think you misunderstood my 2nd question.

Could someone who's had a Geass used on them (Suzako with "Live!") become a Geass contractor/user (given a Geass power by CC or someone else).

I cant think of an example of that in R1 or R2.

And thanks for the examples for the 1st question, didn't realize those.
Lucied

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quote
So it seems I misunderstood, even with the example. The following is my thought on your actual question.

We have examples of Geass effect and power active on the same person: spoiler[Lelouch] had definitely had Geass used on him without removing his Geass power. It seems that the same is true of spoiler[the Emperor,] though that is arguably just a mind game move. We also know that having a Geass used on him did not prevent spoiler[CC from reactivation Lelouch's Geass power] in episode 1 of R2. Although we have no conclusive proof, the answer is probably yes, a person can have a Geass effect then receive a Geass power. It's only the code that interferes with Geass power and effect.
Precisionist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
Ok then...here's how I'd write a sequel.

Few years of contentment, however global governments become splintered as there is no true global leader. The end of R2 created peace, but also a huge void.

Nunnaly leads Britania, but does so by allowing other nations to be independent.

A new leader takes over China, and is approached by V2 (or maybe another of the non-human race). This new leader is given a Geass power, and pursues another global domination plot.

The new Zero must lead the Black Knights against this new threat, allying with Nunnaly but also having to look out for Japan's interests (maybe Japan starts to throw in with China, now you have a background conflict). Also throw in a romance angle, Kallen and the new Zero...you got all kinds of plot to work with.
troizen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ok then...here's how I'd write a sequel.

Few years of contentment, however global governments become splintered as there is no true global leader. The end of R2 created peace, but also a huge void.

Nunnaly leads Britania, but does so by allowing other nations to be independent.

A new leader takes over China, and is approached by V2 (or maybe another of the non-human race). This new leader is given a Geass power, and pursues another global domination plot.

The new Zero must lead the Black Knights against this new threat, allying with Nunnaly but also having to look out for Japan's interests (maybe Japan starts to throw in with China, now you have a background conflict). Also throw in a romance angle, Kallen and the new Zero...you got all kinds of plot to work with.

Sounds good but there are a few problems with your sequel

1. The new leader of China is Jiang Lihua,and she worked with the Black Knights

2. All of the known people with geass powers are either dead or work with the Black Knights and Britannia

3. Suzaku is Zero so the whole romance with Kallen would be kind of weird
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
C2 is still around. She can give out new contracts, starting the whole thing all over again. However, given the new appreciation for life she has thanks to Lelouch, I don't expect her to do so for quite a while. You know, a couple of centuries or so.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the ending. The story as a whole was a zigzag of quality, but I really enjoyed the ending. Ever since the Emperor Lelouch storyline started I thought I had been missing something as far his true goal was concerned, so I'm glad they cleared it up at the end. And it was nice that Nunally learned the truth, and I actually got a bit choked up while she was crying over him but everyone else was celebrating. That last epilogue scene was very well done.

I don't think a sequel is necessary at all....but that won't stop them, will it?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel if it focused on C.C. and some of her past contracts. I think I read somewhere that she had a contract with George Washington, or at least someone who was important with the American Revolution, so it could be interesting to see if she has really been influencing history this whole time. But that would be more along the lines of an OVA, not a true sequel...
troizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
if there is going to be a sequel to the series, than i give it a 60 percent chance that it involves Jeremiah and Anya's orange farm. That is the only sequel that would really make sense with the utter insanity that is the Code Geass universe.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel if it focused on C.C. and some of her past contracts. I think I read somewhere that she had a contract with George Washington, or at least someone who was important with the American Revolution, so it could be interesting to see if she has really been influencing history this whole time. But that would be more along the lines of an OVA, not a true sequel...

Now THAT would be awesome. That would be a great idea for an OVA, to see the role she's played in events throughout history.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:

Now THAT would be awesome. That would be a great idea for an OVA, to see the role she's played in events throughout history.

An interesting point to add to that is the Amerian revolution is where the world of Geass deviats from our history. Where Britain ended up retaining the control instead of America gaining inderpenance.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
An interesting point to add to that is the Amerian revolution is where the world of Geass deviats from our history. Where Britain ended up retaining the control instead of America gaining inderpenance.

Actually, human society depicted in Code Geass split way back around Caesar's time. Indeed, the universe itself was never part of our own. In their dimension nuclear fission is significantly retarded (especially regarding the ease of propagating the chain reaction), and they have sakuradite and Geass, both of which we don't have. All three would rely on the fundamental laws of the Code Geass universe being different to our own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 59 of 60