• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ad Free ANN?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
I would think (and hope) that ANN is smarter than that. I see they have flash ads now, but please no sound ones. You have been so good so far!

Our policy with sound is "no sound on load," sound on interaction is okay.

There was a bug in the Heat Guy J ad that caused sound on load for a small number of users, but that was not by design.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:32 pm Reply with quote
DCRavenX wrote:
I have an ad-blocker so this site is already ad free to me.

<grrrr>

[edited after I cooled off]

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluechibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
DCRavenX wrote:
I have an ad-blocker so this site is already ad free to me.

<grrrr>

[edited after I cooled off]

That was a silly thing to say, a kick in the teeth especially as the ads are so important. Would you still get the ad impression even if it were blocked? I can understand why someone would want to block pop ups, I suffer from them greatly. All the ads I've seen on ANN are all related to my interest so the ads are a bonus for me. Like this Tokyo Pop one. It keeps me uptodate with their releases.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
bluechibi wrote:
Would you still get the ad impression even if it were blocked? I can understand why someone would want to block pop ups, I suffer from them greatly. All the ads I've seen on ANN are all related to my interest so the ads are a bonus for me. Like this Tokyo Pop one. It keeps me uptodate with their releases.

It depends on how the ad is being tracked. ANN's in house tracking would count the impressions, but obviously there'd be no clicktroughs. While our rates are more impression based, advertisors look atthe average clickthrough rate when deciding whether or not to continue advertising.

On the other hand, some people use 3rd party services to track the ads, these services will not show the impressions from people like him. It makes us look bloody stupid when we provide a report to our advertisor saying that they received x number of impressions, and the 3rd party tells them that they only received y number of impressions. Ad blocking is a given, most our advertisors know that it happens, and they don't blame us for the discretion. However, the fact that people do it is one of the contributing factors to the falling CPM rates. 4 years ago ANN had no problem selling $5 cpm, this though a 3rd party ad service (IGN) that took a big cut off the top.... they were probably selling about $10. Today we sell directly to the advertisors for less than $2.

I'm looking into methods to automatically block the site to people that don't download the ads.

-t
phoelixian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I rely on ANN for my info. I wouldn't mind supporting the site with an annual donation whether I used the dedicated non-ad server or not. Throwing in an ANN t-shirt, some special offers/contests is all gravy. Count me in.

I hope over time my knowledge of anime will increase enough that I can start contributing more to the site. I'm a relatively new otaku.

PS: Did I mention I liked the t-shirt idea too? Laughing
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
*clicks on the adds several times to help make up for the meanies*

I wouldn't subscribe to the non-add version. The adds don't really bug me. Only time they did was when the heat guy j thing was going one. I was one of those getting the sound thing.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote
You know, since I actually like having the ads on this site, would it be possible to be a subscriber and keep the ads? Wink Like I said, I would love to help the site, but I would like to get extras and not have things taken away. Even if they are ads, they're still related to anime so it seems pointless to take them away if they aren't any sort of inconvenience.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:01 pm Reply with quote
rage-demon wrote:
would it be possible to be a subscriber and keep the ads?

Hmm, interesting point. Yeah, we could do that.

-t
JaguarSavage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
If subscribing to the service were to actually help improve ANN, I'd do it. More columns and news articles is always a good thing to me :)
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind the ads at all, since my load time is ridiculously slow anyway. I would be all for a subscription service with a few random perks (T-shirt?) but I have no credit card to pay with. Is there a way one might mail payments (check or money order, for example) to subscribe? $15 a year would be a drop in the bucket compared to what ANN offers. BTW, where is this poll that people speak of voting on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
phoelixian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Main news page. Use the link at the end of "If you'd be interested in such a service, please let us know here."
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the help!Anime catgrin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ZahmiraV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea, but I don't think I would pay for just an ad free site. Like many others have said, the ads aren't distracting, plus they are things I'm interested in and I often check out many of the ads!

I voted No, even though the idea is a good one, I wouldn't sign up for it, I like the ads!
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:16 am Reply with quote
a mod free forum for paying members maybe? one of the other boards im on does that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
rage-demon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
a mod free forum for paying members maybe? one of the other boards im on does that.

Shocked Oh man, i'd hate to see if a flame war broke out in that. Y-yeah, that might just scare me a little
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7