• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ad Free ANN?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
a mod free forum for paying members maybe? one of the other boards im on does that.

I wouldn't trust it enough to have it be mod-free. Plus, again I bring up the actual aim of such a forum. What sort of subject matter would be discussed? If there's already an Anime forum, and the mods are reluctant to make a General forum, what's gonna go on in a Payers-Only forum?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'm not opposed to this idea.. however it seems like most people don't mind the ads or load time, but simply want to help out a service they love. Anime smile Perhaps you should include one of those Paypal donation thingies or some other way of receiving donations. Other non-profit sites like Gaia Online do this. It seems like many people want some merchandise as well, so if you were to make a small profit with happy goods, that could help out as well. ...I wouldn't mind bein' on a couple shirts.. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
The one problem with paypal for a non-profit is that ANN is for profit. Such a donation box would be dishonest. As for merchandise, what sort of stuff could ANN do? T-shirts or hats, perhaps some bumper stickers?
Keiichi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:15 am Reply with quote
I think sending physical things is too much, espeically if to deliver to many people. Packaging and delivering takes money too in addition to the merchandise.

I usually just drop by the index page for a few seconds and check the latest news and leave. The ad doesn't bother me at all, espeically on broadband internet. If I were to give money to ANN, it would mostly be for donation, so I would say no to this.
BakaNekoDain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
Well I voted yes. I use ANN before I purchase any new anime titles, so it only seems right that I would give something back. Then of course there is the fact that a seperate server would allow me to still browse the site even if the free server got bogged down.

I really don't think asking for a t-shirt is fair, especially given the paltry sum they're asking for membership. At any rate I'm on board.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, how to make money without offering anything new.

Interesting problem here. I'll think about it a bit.

Ooh hey I know, how about a newsletter service? We could pay for that. That can also be ad free ^^

Talk bout it ^^ hehe
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:23 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
The one problem with paypal for a non-profit is that ANN is for profit. Such a donation box would be dishonest. As for merchandise, what sort of stuff could ANN do? T-shirts or hats, perhaps some bumper stickers?

ANN is not "fot for profit" we don't bill ourselves as such, any any such "donation box" would be very clear in stating that it isn't an NFP cause.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Something I just thought of and figured I'd throw out there.

What about having a sort of Grand Give-Away contest(s) that people would send in a donation (or call it whatever you want) along with their contact info for? Examples could be a complete Trigun Box Set with all the manga up to that point or all three Kenshin sets when they are available.

So, whomever is interested could send in $5-$10 with their info for a chance to win a bulk of great stuff. And why not? Small cost for a chance at some fantastic products!
Bishop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
king_micah wrote:

ANN is not "fot for profit" we don't bill ourselves as such, any any such "donation box" would be very clear in stating that it isn't an NFP cause.

So...what is ANN, for a profit site or a non-profit site? Well, I can see both points in going either way. Really, considering that the ads aren't that big an issue and whatever message board that will be exclusive to paying members will contain the hardcore "otaku's" anyway, it would be pretty much a nice flow of easy money for almost no product in return. I'm not being a troll, it's just the nature of it. ANN's could have quite the racket going here.
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
ANN is a buisness. When I mentioned a donation box, I was infering that it is dishonest for any for-profit enterprise to seek donations, no matter how the "donation box" was marked. I also know ANN would never deceive people like that. Rather I think there should be some sort of trade of goods/services, be it a t-shirt, be it access to the old server and lighting fast speed.
animaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
well yearly I'd pay 5-10$ I like the idea of faster service and no adds but if its gonna cost much there are other services that are more needed at least for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
I voted no on add-free ANN because:

1: There's only a couple adds on the site anyway and it's not worth paying 10 bucks a month to get rid of one or two adds.

2: I don't want ANN to turn into IGN and Gamespy, where every other click takes you to a forced ad or creates 30 pop-ups at once.

ANN's fine the way it is. Very Happy
bluechibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:30 am Reply with quote
I wouldnt be able to pay a yearly fee but I can contribute by clicking on the ads that I find interesting (which pretty much is all of them)

Perhaps this special version can have a chat area that is open when a special guest has been arranged for a 30 minute Q&A. english voice actors, webmanga artists like Piro, industry insiders. Wouldnt have to be very frequent maybe 1 every month. That would encourage people to sign up.
Cerberus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:09 am Reply with quote
Louie-kun wrote:
1: There's only a couple adds on the site anyway and it's not worth paying 10 bucks a month to get rid of one or two adds.

It's per year, not month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:50 am Reply with quote
Months, years, whatever. It's still not worth paying ten bucks to only get rid of a few ads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7