• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucky Star DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Ronin Aquila wrote:
Merely stating that one show is about having a good time with friends that you are fond of (which real people ALSO do, NOT just Otaku, Mr Hellkorn) and another is about being cold, selfish cruel and backstabbing towards people you pretend to be friends with out of apathy and convenience.

Perhaps Lucky Star is like Seinfeld without the relentless Larry David despondency? I dunno, I see a similarity either way.

Speaking of, I'd totally make a blind anime purchase if it was based on a review comparing it to Curb Your Enthusiasm, which I like even better than Seinfeld because of the constant *facepalm* factor. New goal for ANN reviewers! ;p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
calawain

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Not quite a show for the casual viewer, it's definitely great for the rest of us. I mean aside from all of the anime references it has a lot of references to Japanese culture from TV shows to old movies. Half the fun I had watching them as they released were long discussions on AS about the different parts of Japanese culture that was revealed. The earlier volumes are lighter on that aspect, but it picks up later. Plus the secondary characters that get introduced halfway through the show are quite amazing. So I'd say it's a 9/10 for the first half, and 11/10 for the second half. Averages to 10 and makes it probably to my top 5 overall. Can't say I could ever watch it dubbed though Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
Ronin Aquila wrote:
I simply MUST protest against all this lazy comparisons to "Seinfeld" that "Lucky Star" keeps on getting.

"Lucky Star" is a mischievous, whimsical yet fundamentally warm hearted series where although friends may tease each other, but are never truly spiteful and will never stab each other in the back, and there's a feeling they generally love and care for each other.

"Seinfeld" on the other hand, is set in a bleak, cold and heartless universe where supposed "Friends" stab each other in the back to get higher in life, and don't really even love each other, but are simply too jaded-blase-and-cynical to want to move one, having NO faith in humanity whatsoever.

It is a completely underserved comparision, nay, INSULT to Lucky Star to compare it to that cesspool of hate and cynicism.

That's all well and good........................................................ at setting up a straw man! Laughing

Except that's not the part about Seinfeld we were talking about.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Ronin Aquila wrote:
Merely stating that one show is about having a good time with friends that you are fond of (which real people ALSO do, NOT just Otaku, Mr Hellkorn)

Oh, excuse me, I thought that hanging out with friends meant only cracking on one another with a cynical bite. I mean, it's not as though you could've grossly misinterpreted what I typed. No way I could've just been talking about my distaste for otaku-oriented humor. That's impossible. Rolling Eyes

@Cloe: lol at your avatar.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Zaziu wrote:
Ugh, i was hoping this wouldnt be dubbed >.< personally i think theyre gonna make a really big mess of this anime. its one of my fave series and should stay japanese... i think dubbing it is a terrible idea, theyre just gonna mess it up with the english/american voice actors and probably will miss out of the funniest bits of it.

One of the best anime series ever - not looking forward to it being released dubbed though.
*Sigh*, once again, another "English dubs ruin anime with their mere existence" line. Nobody's forcing you to watch Lucky Star in English -- the only thing an English dub does is make the show available in English for those who choose to listen to it that way. And as long as the Japanese version with subtitles is still on the DVD, no English dub ever ruins an anime, regardless of how low-quality or unfaithful the dub may be.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I showed the first dubbed episode to a friend of mine who is pretty tough to please in the anime department (if its not Giblhi or Kon, he has trouble making it through one episode of any thing else, notable exceptions were FMA, Gunslinger Girls, and Bebop).

He liked the the first episode. If there was ever a series that I thought he would dismiss based on episode 1, it was Lucky Star. Heck, I thought the first episode of this series would be enough to send most casual fans running for cover.

I guess they did something right.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Zaziu wrote:
Ugh, i was hoping this wouldnt be dubbed >.< personally i think theyre gonna make a really big mess of this anime. its one of my fave series and should stay japanese... i think dubbing it is a terrible idea, theyre just gonna mess it up with the english/american voice actors and probably will miss out of the funniest bits of it.

One of the best anime series ever - not looking forward to it being released dubbed though.
*Sigh*, once again, another "English dubs ruin anime with their mere existence" line. Nobody's forcing you to watch Lucky Star in English -- the only thing an English dub does is make the show available in English for those who choose to listen to it that way. And as long as the Japanese version with subtitles is still on the DVD, no English dub ever ruins an anime, regardless of how low-quality or unfaithful the dub may be.

Yeah, it's no longer the days of companies releasing dub VHS in expense of sub VHS availability.

Besides, if anything, the dub side subsidizes the price of the whole DVD, making it more affordable for everyone.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Ronin Aquila wrote:
I simply MUST protest against all this lazy comparisons to "Seinfeld" that "Lucky Star" keeps on getting.

"Lucky Star" is a mischievous, whimsical yet fundamentally warm hearted series where although friends may tease each other, but are never truly spiteful and will never stab each other in the back, and there's a feeling they generally love and care for each other.

"Seinfeld" on the other hand, is set in a bleak, cold and heartless universe where supposed "Friends" stab each other in the back to get higher in life, and don't really even love each other, but are simply too jaded-blase-and-cynical to want to move one, having NO faith in humanity whatsoever.

It is a completely underserved comparision, nay, INSULT to Lucky Star to compare it to that cesspool of hate and cynicism.

Lucky CHANNEL, on the other hand, I will gladly compare to Seinfeld. Though it is because of its spiteful-and-cynical-viciousness that it is jarrying and out of place when put next to the cheeky but bright universe of the main show.

Do you even know what you are writing? Have you ever watched an episode of Seinfeld? They are paid actors for one and for another they are never cruel to each other. Since you probably a young lad, I am sure you have never seen comedy from the 80's and 90's. I'll admit, I did enjoy Lucky Star, but to call the cast in Seinfeld inhumane is way off base.

You are however right on Lucky Channel, Akira is nothing but spite and anger. I am sure that we will see more of that later on.

Just check out one episode of Seinfeld, you'll see no one is being inhumane to each other.

Quote:
Sigh*, once again, another "English dubs ruin anime with their mere existence" line. Nobody's forcing you to watch Lucky Star in English -- the only thing an English dub does is make the show available in English for those who choose to listen to it that way. And as long as the Japanese version with subtitles is still on the DVD, no English dub ever ruins an anime, regardless of how low-quality or unfaithful the dub may be.

Yeah, it's no longer the days of companies releasing dub VHS in expense of sub VHS availability.

Besides, if anything, the dub side subsidizes the price of the whole DVD, making it more affordable for everyone

Thank you, very true statements on both parts. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be, reading subtitles isn't as easy as it was years ago. I prefer dubbed anime opposed to subbed anime. Additionlly, in my personal option, the sub sounds like a bunch of Squirrels chatting.

One won't be young forever, eventually reading those subtitles will become a challenge.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Just check out one episode of Seinfeld, you'll see no one is being inhumane to each other.

I think the poster made a poor word choice, but it's quite accepted that while the characters in Seinfeld are not "evil", they are also, everyone of them, bad people in some way. That's the whole point of what happened the final episode (try listening to the commentary track on the DVDs)... They all have irredeemable qualities that was the secret behind making them endearing, but also differentiated the series from most other sitcoms out there where at least the main characters were always "good people". The only other example of a sitcom where all the characters were fatally flawed was probably Rosanne, another great comedy.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Also note that the "back stabbing" things the friends in Seinfield to do each other are almost always unintentional, and the person who did the "back stabbing" is often times completely unaware of doing it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Well, there's...................................................................... Newman! Laughing
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Well, there's...................................................................... Newman! Laughing

Well truthfully I am out of puns for this topic, so I say this one goes to you. Though in the end, Lucky Star really is just a show about an otaku's, moe's, tsundeere's, spacy girl's high school experience.
anime_otaku_63

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
I have seen this show many times since it was released in the summer of 2007. I think that it is a refreshing comedy series that many will enjoy. I must say this though; the downside mentioned in the sites official review "humor is a hit or miss" is a bit unfair. The reason that some of the jokes made throughout this show didn't make sense, is because we met up with a "lost in translation" bit on them. Or at the very least the reference was something from another era.
I would recommend that anyone who enjoys a parody based references see this one at least once. It also works as a good pallet cleanser after you've watched a few eps of another program that leaves you with feelings of annoyance or general irritation. As far as the show related memorabilia is concerned, there are a lot of things to enjoy. I can see a lot of mileage coming out of this little series.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5