• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Episode of Bardock Spinoff Manga Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
What coinkidink!

Tonight MAD TV just parodied Money Ball Z: Moneyball + DBZ. Though ironically, there was already a DB episode with baseball. Laughing

Incidentally, they also later parodied Naru-210: Naruto + 90210.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzxs61tZek
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I understand why they changed the script so heavily; they were targeting 9-12 year old U.S. kids.

Who do you think the Japanese version was targeted for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
That's just it. Japanese standards for what is considered acceptable for children are vastly different than what has been, historically, in the U.S. I mean, if that's the case, then that means the original Dragon ball, with its mass murder, sexual innuendo, lewd humor, and flat-out nudity, was also obviously geared to kids. ANN states the "objectionable content" is "significant". Notice that it was also heavily edited by FUNi and Ocean, as well.

It's just an issue of two different ideas on what is okay for kids.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I suppose more Dragon Ball is a good thing, even though I haven't actually been a very big fan of it for some years, but what little I've heard about this manga sounds rather...disappointing and anti-climatic, creating more confusion rather than providing something useful even within the context of DB itself. Perhaps the animated adaptation will try to fix this? That may be hoping for too much, I guess.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
That's just it. Japanese standards for what is considered acceptable for children are vastly different than what has been, historically, in the U.S. I mean, if that's the case, then that means the original Dragon ball, with its mass murder, sexual innuendo, lewd humor, and flat-out nudity, was also obviously geared to kids. ANN states the "objectionable content" is "significant". Notice that it was also heavily edited by FUNi and Ocean, as well.

True.

However, what bothers me aren't edits of violence for American TV. You can find DBZ uncut easily enough. It's the reworking of the dialogue and changing the context of entire scenes, something Funimation did plenty.

It's like Japanese DBZ and American DBZ are two different shows at times.

At least the Kai dub is accurate and shys away from jokey rewrites or changing the characters' motivations. None of that "I AM THE HOPE OF THE UNIVERSE" bullcrap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing Laughing Very true. Anyone who's watched the dub only, doesn't know the characters'... well, CHARACTER! Reminds me of the Sailor Moon "controversy"(for lack of better words). I was pleasantly surprised at seeing Kai, and hearing them say what they're actually supposed to say.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
That's exactly what I'm going to say.

Deary me, you are never going to let that go, are you.

I wonder how many times people have told you to visit Goku's SSJ3 transformation theme, Gohan's SSJ2 transformation theme, Mystic Gohan's theme and Super Vegeta's theme? Must be dozens of people telling you scores of times. And still you hold out.

I have to say, if nothing else, I admire your loyalty.

But please don't turn every DBZ thread into a soapbox. You can only do that in half of them; choose wisely.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
That's exactly what I'm going to say.

Deary me, you are never going to let that go, are you.

I wonder how many times people have told you to visit Goku's SSJ3 transformation theme, Gohan's SSJ2 transformation theme, Mystic Gohan's theme and Super Vegeta's theme? Must be dozens of people telling you scores of times. And still you hold out.

I have to say, if nothing else, I admire your loyalty.

But please don't turn every DBZ thread into a soapbox. You can only do that in half of them; choose wisely.

Granted, a few Faulconer themes border on decent, but they don't build atmosphere the way Kikuchi's score does. Most of them are pretty unimpressive and give the scenes they're used in an artificial feel.

Gohan's SSJ2 transformation is best with "Unmei no Hi ~ Tamashii tai Tamashii" by Kageyama Hironobu, by the way.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
We'll have to agree to disagree.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
What coinkidink!

Tonight MAD TV just parodied Money Ball Z: Moneyball + DBZ. Though ironically, there was already a DB episode with baseball. Laughing

Incidentally, they also later parodied Naru-210: Naruto + 90210.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzxs61tZek

Wow, it's so sad to see what Cartoon Network has become. I bash Flash and CG animation for being lazy, but these "live action cut out peoples heads" thing is a new low for laziness and unoriginality, not to mention the terribly dated popculture (is Beverly Hills even relevant anymore?)

504NOSON2 wrote:

Innuendo nothing, Bulma flat out offers her body to guys for a Dragonball (multiple times, even). Saying something is for kids in Japan isn't really saying much, we should focus on actual things rather than demographics. Dragonball is a lighthearted show, and killing, death, and sex doesn't really change that, nor does adding in awkwardly bad Faulkner music. Cha La Head Cha La and Dragon Soul fit the show perfectly... Rock the Dragon does not.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:

True.

However, what bothers me aren't edits of violence for American TV. You can find DBZ uncut easily enough. It's the reworking of the dialogue and changing the context of entire scenes, something Funimation did plenty.

It's like Japanese DBZ and American DBZ are two different shows at times.

At least the Kai dub is accurate and shys away from jokey rewrites or changing the characters' motivations. None of that "I AM THE HOPE OF THE UNIVERSE" bullcrap.

That may be true, but I was always quite fond of that speech (cornballness aside, I am being nostalgic anyhow). It might not have been what Goku was meant to say, but I can' really fault them for tweaking his motivation on that. The hero angle is tried and true. Can't really say I cared for either angles though. Impossibly pure savior of the universe, or overgrown child who loves to fight at all costs? Not much for me to bite down on there Confused
TitanXL wrote:

Wow, it's so sad to see what Cartoon Network has become. I bash Flash and CG animation for being lazy, but these "live action cut out peoples heads" thing is a new low for laziness and unoriginality, not to mention the terribly dated popculture (is Beverly Hills even relevant anymore?)

Oh it's relevant, 90210 was brought back like 2 years ago with a brand new modern cast of white rich kids with problems Rolling Eyes but there's really no excuse for that animation, and yes as far as CN goes that is the cream of crop for them, very sad indeed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

but these "live action cut out peoples heads" thing is a new low for laziness and unoriginality,

It's MAD magazine - that's been their style since the 1950s! Where have ya guys been! Shocked

(And some CG animation take more time to make than "traditional" digital scan, ink, & paint animation. Just because you love 2D doesn't diminish the amount of work done in CG, including videogames.)
(And everything seems to piss ya off, TTXL. You'd probably bash VNs too for their lazy "animation" with only the lips "moving." Razz )

kakoishii wrote:

and yes as far as CN goes that is the cream of crop for them, very sad indeed.

Nah, MAD TV isn't even one of their top budgeted shows. Ya guys need some perspective. Laughing
(And MAD is all about satire, guys, not your next Disney animation where the scenes are supposed to wow you. Just relax, the animation style is supposed to be ridiculous, like Alfred E. Neuman himself - it's not the harbinger of animation calamity.)
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
Thanks enurtsol, didn't know the show existed. I like Mad TV and since its been off the air, its nice to know it lives on in a form like this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

That may be true, but I was always quite fond of that speech (cornballness aside, I am being nostalgic anyhow). It might not have been what Goku was meant to say, but I can' really fault them for tweaking his motivation on that. The hero angle is tried and true. Can't really say I cared for either angles though. Impossibly pure savior of the universe, or overgrown child who loves to fight at all costs? Not much for me to bite down on there

Goku would never say "I am the hope of the universe". Goku doesn't know what the universe is. We're talking about a guy who thought space was nighttime.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know that there was a Bardock spinoff... but again "oficial" fancomic spinoff are not exactly a new thing. But still I am not a normally a fan of spinoff and I think this is no exception.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4