• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Murakami Gets US$15M for Controversial Figure Auction

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rxreika

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Gingy wrote:
Anyone know where I can find the pic for the female one? Just curious...

"Murakami" and "Hiropon" in Google images brings it up.
Gingy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Lol I dont remmeber names of these statues ok...I mean the white statues of some pretty boy with his wee wee showing...it appeared in an episode in simpson when people protested against it...and also in family guy where Peter bought it(but accidentally breaking off the wee wee...)
Ummm I forgot which was which....I meant the naked statue anyways....

What was the michelangelo then?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Gingy wrote:

What was the michelangelo then?
Some guy they hired to chisle it out of the marble. Rumour has it he used his own "weewee" as an example to copy, allegedly.
Jaice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
nudity wasnt controversial during the renaissance, it wasnt until the protestant reformation that it was seen as indecent. though that was the case with most art in general at the time, unless it was a still-life depicting fruit, meat, or vegetables. :/
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I barely noticed it when I first saw it. Who has time to pay attention to it, when you're hoping his other work doesn't get you stoned? Laughing
Gingy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Jaice wrote:
nudity wasnt controversial during the renaissance, it wasnt until the protestant reformation that it was seen as indecent. though that was the case with most art in general at the time, unless it was a still-life depicting fruit, meat, or vegetables. :/

Then why would this particular piece of art even be controversial?
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That's why.

Anyway, I think this specific piece is controversial.... because it's an 8.4 foot tall figure of a guy jerking off a lasso of semen that goes above his head. Male nudity, sexual content, ridiculous amounts of semen, just about all of it is scene as offensive by America.

I have no reason why Japan is so angry about it though. Probably those who think the male form is disgusting or something, I can't read japanese so Ic an't read the articles.
Gingy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
I think maybe some of the ladies would like to have that statue to place int heir room or something...ladies anyways. Where as Hiropon the female statue would be targeted for male...although I dont really like either of the two statues hair one bit...especially the female statue...
Anyways Americans think EVERYTHING is indecent...it doesnt matter what it is ,supposed to be, or came from...if its an american judging it, its considered indecent...
Well not all americans are like that...but seeing how americans(and Canadians...) treated works like Lolita, and even Lost girls...I've pretty much established my view on what kinda people they are...plus I live surrounded by them all day long so i would know. Like how your not allowed to have nude models in art classes in N. America...

But the criticisms of the statues are coming from the Japanese...now THAT is new...can anyone read what they are?? Anyone able to read Japanese? What are the criticisms aimed at it?
ENJN

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Are they up in arms because of the content, or because it was bought in the States? If it's the former, might I remind these Web Geeks that they are the same people who buy miniature versions of these statues? You know, the ones with the girls and the detailed panties (and sometimes no panties at all)?

Most of the comments are aghast at the price for what they think is a pretty ugly/lame statue.

Quote:
54 名前: サンデーサイレンス(アラバマ州)[] 投稿日:2008/05/15(木) 13:00:05.61 ID:4U1hX0Op0
このフィギュア、下手だよね?

This figure kinda sucks.

Quote:
42 名前: 友蔵(アラバマ州)[] 投稿日:2008/05/15(木) 12:59:11.90 ID:ksqfQKrB0
ヤフオクで100円でも買わない

I wouldn't pay 100 yen for it at Yahoo auctions.

Quote:

97 名前: ビール(アラバマ州)[sage] 投稿日:2008/05/15(木) 13:04:02.67 ID:FRZoT2iX0
いらねーとか言うよりも

うらやましいよ・・・自分が作ったもんが16億で売れるとか

Everyone's saying they don't want it but I'm jealous; I'd love to sell something I made for 15 mil.

Quote:
239 名前: ジオン・ズム・ダイクン(東京都)[] 投稿日:2008/05/15(木) 13:26:17.63 ID:ROpIAJ010
金持ちの考えることはわからんわ

I don't understand the way rich people think.

Quote:
151 名前: 岩崎弥太郎(埼玉県)[sage] 投稿日:2008/05/15(木) 13:11:22.70 ID:rtZ8v3xn0
アニメの本場の日本人にはそんなに評価されてないことを向こうの人が理解してくれればこんなのに大金払わないんじゃない

If the people over there understood that the Japanese, from the home of anime, don't value this as highly, they wouldn't have paid so much money.

Quote:

73 名前: 風船おじさん(東京都)[] 投稿日:2008/05/15(木) 13:01:56.97 ID:3/I38r0K0
なんでこんなものつくったの

Why'd he make something like this

Quote:

12 名前: 友蔵(長屋)[sage] 投稿日:2008/05/15(木) 12:54:50.98 ID:agkgXIKI0
地球マジ終わったな・・・

This has gotta be the end of the world.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
Thanks ENJN. So their objection was pretty much the same as mine; it's a crappy looking statue.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:35 am Reply with quote
ENJN wrote:
omnistry wrote:
Are they up in arms because of the content, or because it was bought in the States? If it's the former, might I remind these Web Geeks that they are the same people who buy miniature versions of these statues? You know, the ones with the girls and the detailed panties (and sometimes no panties at all)?

Most of the comments are aghast at the price for what they think is a pretty ugly/lame statue.

Seconded. One can check out the "less than positive" link and see examples of Saber (of Fate/hollow ataraxia, #114), Yurie "Kamisama" Hitotsubashi (of Kamichu!, #118), Rei Ayanami (of Evangelion, #260), and Chua Churam (of Chu×Chu Idol, #650). I'd say most people would agree that the four examples are more "pleasing" to look at, yet each of them costs less than 1/100000 of My Lonesome Cowboy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmilScherbe1

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
According to Kumeta Koji (Zoku Sayonara Zetsuou Sensei ep10, 5:45)
Quote:
Poorly drawn anime is hailed as art in New York!
ENJN

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
EmilScherbe1 wrote:
According to Kumeta Koji (Zoku Sayonara Zetsuou Sensei ep10, 5:45)
Quote:
Poorly drawn anime is hailed as art in New York!

Ironically I think the art in that scene is a parody of Murakami's Superflat, which was popular in New York circa 2005 when the Japan Foundation had an exhibition. Columbia's Donald Keene Center did a conference on Superflat in coordination with them. I was working there as a student at that time and staffed the conference... it was pretty dull.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
ENJN wrote:
Columbia's Donald Keene Center did a conference on Superflat in coordination with them. I was working there as a student at that time and staffed the conference... it was pretty dull.

This one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ENJN

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
ENJN wrote:
Columbia's Donald Keene Center did a conference on Superflat in coordination with them. I was working there as a student at that time and staffed the conference... it was pretty dull.

This one?

Yeah. I built that page way back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3