• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Region coding.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
Wow. $130 you say? It's not in Dutch is it?

He, he. I live in Denmark not Netherland or Belgium, our currency is in kroners because the idiot population of this country voted against adopting the Euro as our national currency.

Hey, hey! Små skridt, bassemand... I was one of those nay-saying "idiots", I'll have you know. And I still am.

Apart from that little Euro-quibble, I'd like to say that this is one of the most informative threads on this forum, so far. It's so informative, in fact, that it should be made sticky - or perhaps be converted into some sort of FAQ on DVD players for the Lexicon.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dilandau

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:07 am Reply with quote
Well, Mr Tony K. I'd say your 'nifty little machine' looks pretty cool. IT looks impressive (not really in anything particular except the specific array of features).

Really, my only question is with the website itself...does anyone else find it odd that ALL the titles have English subs and are conveniently NTSC (last I checked R2 and R3 were PAL)? Confused
YUGI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
R3 most are NTSC. R2 in the europe side is PAL. Though Japan's is ntsc. Most places are changing to NTSC these days.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
So, does this actually mean that if I buy a new videogame there, or an anime DVD, or whatever, it would work on my own DVD's reproductor/console??? Great!!
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
So, does this actually mean that if I buy a new videogame there, or an anime DVD, or whatever, it would work on my own DVD's reproductor/console??? Great!!

It depends on what region and video format you use. If you live in a country that uses R2 and NTSC, then yeah you can watch Japanese discs. If you live in the UK that uses R2 and Pal, then no. You have to make sure that the region(1, 2, 3...) and the video format(NTSC, PAL, and SECAM).
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Really, my only question is with the website itself...does anyone else find it odd that ALL the titles have English subs and are conveniently NTSC (last I checked R2 and R3 were PAL)?

By law (thanks to British occupation) all movies in HK have to be released with English subtitles. While HongKong uses PAL as a broadcast format, all of their videos are NTSC for the widest possible distribution. Japan is NTSC, only the European R2 is PAL

Game consoles cannot play other regions without modification or at the very least a boot disk.

If you bought your player in the US, it's going to be region 1 NTSC
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:

By law (thanks to British occupation) all movies in HK have to be released with English subtitles.
You would think this would have changed once British control ended though.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but they probably still do it just out of habit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe they make money off of the exportation.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote
YUGI wrote:
R3 most are NTSC. R2 in the europe side is PAL. Though Japan's is ntsc. Most places are changing to NTSC these days.

Region Encoding has nothing to do with video format. You can just as easily have R1/PAL as you would R1/NTSC. Region settings are a DVD feature to try to lock consumers into buying DVDs at higher prices, rather than importing them from overseas. Video formats are set depending on whether the country decided on 29.97 FPS or 25 FPS.

There are actually a lot more sub-versions of things than just NTSC/PAL/SECAM, but the differences aren't significant enough to bother with.

I'm not an expert in these matters, but I don't recall seeing ANY country switching from PAL to NTSC ever since the standards were adopted... Improvements have been made on the existing technology (certainly), but it's still basically the same format, because it's just too expensive to upgrade the infrastructure.

I'm not sure if even HDTV will impact NTSC/PAL at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
For HD, the few countries that have it have all standardized on ATSC, the US standard
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:11 am Reply with quote
Hum...Ok, I'm from R2. And I know that all of my life I've been buying in PAL. But looks like Japan uses R2/NTSC, instead of Europe, which is R2/PAl. Is this right?

Well then, that says that my thoughts were wrong...
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:21 am Reply with quote
Correct
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
OK, so I bought this with my Christmas money, and it's a great machine. It plays just about any kind of disc and I'm glad I can now watch different regioned DVDs on it as well.

However, the sound setup is kind of weird. I have an optical cable and with that, this player can now detect dual audio and DTS coding, but that's the problem. That's all it does in terms of sound.

And so, I was wondering what exactly does a coaxial cable do? The outputs on the back of this thing are a little weird, but there's a port for a coaxial cable, and I was hoping if I got one and hooked it up from the player to my sound system, would it solve my Dobly Digital 5.1 and 2.0 woes? Again, the only sound I'm currently recieving is DTS and Dual Audio (without any kind of Dolby Pro Logic or anything like that).

Here's a picture of the back:

Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you are using a fiber optic connection now, there is no reason it wouldn't be able to play 5.1. Digital Coax would do the same thing for you as the optical connection, but you can try it and see. Have you gone into the sound setting and seen if DD is enabled?

On another note, I hope you didn't pay $150 for that.

Last edited by Kazuki-san on Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4