• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Region coding.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
YUGI wrote:
R3 most are NTSC. R2 in the europe side is PAL. Though Japan's is ntsc. Most places are changing to NTSC these days.
Since when? Razz
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Cyberhome ch-dvd 300

40 bucks at walmart
and region selectable via a menu. oh yeah and it can playback both PAL and NTSC.

Switch player on and make sure there is no disc in the tray.
CLose tray and press menu,1,9.

A menu should appear with the region option at about the third line from the bottom. Press enter and enter the region you want. Next press open/close. Put in your movie and enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Have you gone into the sound setting and seen if DD is enabled?

Yeah, I checked and fiddled with all the sound settings I could access through the menus, but there are also a lot of options I'm not quite familiar with. I'll try again.

Quote:
On another note, I hope you didn't pay $150 for that.

Er.. I did Anime smile + sweatdrop. Is that Cyberhome player better? I'm not much on electronics and such Razz.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Well I checked out the manufactuer's site, which sux considerably. I know back in the days before I used my x-box for playing dvds, you used to have to enable DD and DTS through the optical out before it would work on my old player. I'm assuming the manual must not be very good either.

If you want to PM me with a list of the options you aren't familiar with, I'll see if any of them could be part of the problem.

Tony K. wrote:

Er.. I did Anime smile + sweatdrop. Is that Cyberhome player better? I'm not much on electronics and such Razz.

I've heard mixed reviews of RJ-Tech stuff, but Newegghas your model for $89.99 new.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Well I checked out the manufactuer's site, which sux considerably. I know back in the days before I used my x-box for playing dvds, you used to have to enable DD and DTS through the optical out before it would work on my old player. I'm assuming the manual must not be very good either.

Yeah, I use my PS2 and run the optical cable out of it and into the sound system to watch all my R1s, and the system automatically detects all the sound encodings with no problem. And yes, the manual stinks for my DVD player. On top of a poor explanation of how to operate it, the manual also consists of some poor grammar -_-;.

Quote:
If you want to PM me with a list of the options you aren't familiar with, I'll see if any of them could be part of the problem.

Sure. I'll take a look at it tonight and make a list or something. Thanks.

Quote:
I've heard mixed reviews of RJ-Tech stuff, but Newegghas your model for $89.99 new.

-_-;; I need to remember to do more research... I was just so hasty to get something that was all region Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop. Oh well, this thing hasn't let me down yet. Though, aside from the non DD, it also does weird things to the screen size when I try to watch Naruto fansubs Mad.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
-_-;; I need to remember to do more research... I was just so hasty to get something that was all region Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop. Oh well, this thing hasn't let me down yet. Though, aside from the non DD, it also does weird things to the screen size when I try to watch Naruto fansubs Mad.

How is your region-free DVD player working? Smile

(I use Action Replay + PS2 First Gen for my R2 -- which isn't much, mainly one Newtype Japan disc that ran without any problems.)

Also, if you are still looking for new units to view, you should definitely head to J-Box (the "non-adult, all-ages" version of J-List). They have a lot of Region-Free and R2 players for sale now, most with pictures of the units and in-depth reviews of each unit.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
How is your region-free DVD player working? Smile

It works fine now. The Dolby Digital sound is working at full capacity (though I still have no idea how Razz), it plays R3 DVDs as naturally as any R1 player would play R1 DVDs, and it's much more of a breeze using a remote control rather than a PS2 controller.

I've yet to test it on any PAL encoded DVDs since I don't have any, but I'll try and buy something soon.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing happened.

For a long while, the family DVD player was my Dad's Daewoo DVD player. He had also apparently ordered it off eBay, due to the fact that it was stated as region free. It was indeed region free, after we had tested it (with a R2 Tintin DVD). Recently, it seemed to have troubles with DVD's, and seemed to kind of eat them as well. (My youngest bro screwed around with it a lot, and kinda messed some stuff up I guess.) So my Dad decided that the safety of the DVD's was more important than a region-free DVD player. So we disconnected the faithful Daewoo, and put in on the shelf. My Dad recently bought a Desay DVD Player (DS501) from Circuit City for dirt cheap ($30 with $10 mail-in). I was kinda dissapointed that we just had a normal DVD player now, rather than our old multi-region. However, after reading this topic, I decided to see for the heck of it if our DVD player has a remote region hack, so I google'd it.

It apparently does. =P

I'm indeed happy again. =P

On a side note, just note that some DVD's may not play on players set to region 0. The only DVD I've ever come across though is The Patriot (though there are probably others.) This is easily remidied by just setting back to the original region.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Some of the cheaper Pal/NTSC converting DVD players (I think both Cybrehome and Daewoo) will not properly convert widescreen. I owned a RJTech DVD player which converted images in the right aspect ratio and played all regions, but didn't last too long. Now I play my other region discs on a JVC which has been moded with a decent Video Card. It is much better. This is something to consider if you are buying DVDs from Europe.
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
For those who want to view DVDs from any region on their computers you can try the free open source VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/). Their FAQ does warn it might take a while before the DVD starts playing and that the region-free thingy doesn't work on newer Mac computers.
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's possible that this will work on playing regular DVDs, but this allows me to play my Japanese versions of DDR (R2 DVDs) on my R1 PS2. It's nothing terribly difficult to do, and could save a lot of money if it does, in fact, work on regular DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Actually I think a friend of mine has one of those swap disc combos. He uses it to play imported Japanese games on his PS2 and I believe it also allows him to set his system to a different region code.
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
It's a handy little trick if it works for playing DVDs, given the cost is circa $40. To be honest, I'd never really thought of using the PS2 as a DVD player; I just wanted to be able to play PARANOiA survivor MAX, SAKURA, and such on my self-made pad, instead of coughing up $.50-$1.00 per 3 songs at the arcades. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4