• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Split] Adult Swim Success

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tohu
Banned User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
To tempest: what make you say Adult Swim is a success? Last time I check Cartoon Network is not even in the top 10 in cable. Get real!Next time you throw out something you better have the numbers to back it up, isn't your co-worker Zac just bash someone for their spectculation? and now you just did the exact thing that your comrade thrash others for doing the same thing?. There are other incidents like this that I noticed about you guys. Stop being hyproctites already damn it!. Maybe people should refer to you as client 10, if you know what I mean. As for the Cartoon Network, it's can be said with absolute certainty that one of the main reason for its Adult Swim program block success has alot to do with anime, especially blockbusters like Eva-Bebop and FMA, to say without exarggeration: anime contributes greatly to Adult Swim's success and notoriety. Unlike you guys which is part of the media, I'm just a regular fan of anime, so I don't know what the numbers (rating) are, but what I did is using common sense and instinct, and I'm very confident that I'm right, because what my instinct tells me is usually 90% right. Why don't you guys get the numbers from Nielsen and prove me wrong, looking forward it. Tell me, just since a show that is not anime run on Cartoon Network got any buzz from anywhere? I didn't think so. Nowaday, anime epitomizes cool and creating buzz not any others American producing shows, remember that.
Celes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
tohu wrote:
To tempest: what make you say Adult Swim is a success? Last time I check Cartoon Network is not even in the top 10 in cable. Get real!Next time you throw out something you better have the numbers to back it up, isn't your co-worker Zac just bash someone for their spectculation? and now you just did the exact thing that your comrade thrash others for doing the same thing?. There are other incidents like this that I noticed about you guys. Stop being hyproctites already damn it!. Maybe people should refer to you as client 10, if you know what I mean. As for the Cartoon Network, it's can be said with absolute certainty that one of the main reason for its Adult Swim program block success has alot to do with anime, especially blockbusters like Eva-Bebop and FMA, to say without exarggeration: anime contributes greatly to Adult Swim's success and notoriety. Unlike you guys which is part of the media, I'm just a regular fan of anime, so I don't know what the numbers (rating) are, but what I did is using common sense and instinct, and I'm very confident that I'm right, because what my instinct tells me is usually 90% right. Why don't you guys get the numbers from Nielsen and prove me wrong, looking forward it. Tell me, just since a show that is not anime run on Cartoon Network got any buzz from anywhere? I didn't think so. Nowaday, anime epitomizes cool and creating buzz not any others American producing shows, remember that.

Um, I don't know if you actually WATCH any anime on AS, but if you did you would see the ratings bumps they frequently air, and I don't think I've ever seen an anime get ratings as high as anything else AS shows, including FG, AD, and their original programming.

Oh, and you and everyone else thinks their common sense and instinct is the best and brightest...it doesn't mean anything.
Shadwhawk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
tohu wrote:
To tempest: what make you say Adult Swim is a success? Last time I check Cartoon Network is not even in the top 10 in cable.

You're kidding, right? During its heyday in '05 Adult Swim spent something like 29 straight weeks as the #1 basic cable channel among 18-24 year olds, and occasionally 18-34 year olds. And it was 6th overall among 18-49 year olds.

Quote:
As for the Cartoon Network, it's can be said with absolute certainty that one of the main reason for its Adult Swim program block success has alot to do with anime, especially blockbusters like Eva-Bebop and FMA, to say without exarggeration: anime contributes greatly to Adult Swim's success and notoriety.

Adult Swim may have gotten its name on the map with an early hit like Cowboy Bebop (first anime on Adult Swim), and had a few more like Inu Yasha and FLCL, but they were crushed in ratings when Futurama and Family Guy were picked up by the block. Adult Swim's real success was mostly because of those two shows, along with in-house series like Sealab 2021 and Harvey Birdman. In recent years, anime ratings have steadily lagged behind the thirtieth repeat of Family Guy.

Quote:
Tell me, just since a show that is not anime run on Cartoon Network got any buzz from anywhere?

Adult Swim resurrected both Family Guy and Futurama from cancellation into new episodes. Venture Brothers has been hugely popular since its introduction.

Quote:
I didn't think so. Nowaday, anime epitomizes cool and creating buzz not any others American producing shows, remember that.

Is it 2002 where you live? The anime bubble has burst, and the fans that remain have been despairing over it for the past two years.
tohu
Banned User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
To Celes: When was the last time anything that wasn't anime that shown on Adult Swim get you excited? name one. What's the matter? cat got your tongue? and did I said my instinct was the best and the britghtest? surely I didn't, stop putting words on people mouth, dumb ass. By the way, if people like me whose instinct doesn't mean anything, then yours doen't mean a fauk either.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
tohu wrote:
To Celes: When was the last time anything that wasn't anime that shown on Adult Swim get you excited? name one.

Venture Brothers, Boondocks....mainly the ones that were professionally made.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Don't forget about the anime soundtrack CDs too. Used to even have their own category rack in Sam Goody. Now ya can't find 'em anywhere. Laughing

The vast majority of anime CDs in the US were published by Geneon, unfortunately.

Maybe he was thinking of ADV's one-shot episode samplers and some Soundtracks.
tohu
Banned User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
[deleted for lack of politeness] I just read the numbers (rating) on USA Today last week and Cartoon Network did not make the top 10 in cable and this is just last week the year is 2008, I repeat, 2008. You said where I live, it must be 2002, it's ironic that you use the rating of 2005, which is 3 years ago to prove that CN was #1, I'm going to be brutally honest here: who give a sheet about what show it's #1 in 2005, what matters most is who's #1 right now, in 2008 not 2005. When both, viewers and advertisers want to look at the numbers for their own reason, they look at the current numbers not the numbers from few years ago. In term of rating right now, the Cartoon Network got slaughter by both of its main competitors the Disney Channel and Nickolodeon, just like Fox News crushes two of it main rivals, CNN and MSNBC. Now, let lighten up a bit and talk about buzz shall we?. If you visit this website, then surely must know about a little show call Neon Genesis Evangelion ( Eva) don't you?. As told by New Type USA be for the magazine's demise, when it air on America's airwave via the Cartoon Network, anime fans in the U.S felt as though they were hit by a tsunami, and after the last episode ended, viewers storm internet forums and others venues with an unprecedented opinions and discussions about the show. Simply put, the level of buzz created by the show at the time measure by animation show standard before and up to now is unequalled and without a doubt, not only Eva had people talk about it but it also had people's tongues waging about the Cartoon Network as well. No show bring attention and fame to the Cartoon Network as Eva did, and that a fact! and fame and noriety bring in more viewers, it help the network grap young audience that for sure. As you can see, in term of creating buzz all of the american shows you mention doens't hold a candle to anime since Eva to the present day, and you say about the anime bubble has bursted, what bubble? and what burst? have you check the stastistics lately? the mayority of anime come from manga, and according to icv2.com, the general entertainment news source, manga dominates the top ten graphic novels list every month this year and if the "bubble" has "bursted" why is manga continues to reigns sumpreme heh? and if the "bubble" has "bursted" why is the Sci-Fi channel and the Cartoon Network continue to air anime? not only that, Sci-fi take a bold step to air the much anticipated anime Guggen Laggan in July, and this anime just aired on Japan last year, so it's relatively new. Let's be fair to anime here, certain anime's rating is low is becauce some of them are not great, so few people watch them not because people are losing interest in anime. Combining the fact that manga continues to blossoms on the chart and american networks such as Cartoon Network and Sci-Fi continue to air anime and add on new show it's clear that people interest in anime and manga still remain high. You and few others seem to view anime and manga as a fad and thought it will dies yet the numbers suggest otherwise, you guys don't have concrete evidence to back it up beside your dumb opinion and loud mouth. Anime is a phenomenom not a fad. You can quote me on that. [be polite]
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
First of all, tohu, you should really try to break up your post into paragraphs, that makes it a lot more readable. Also, insulting people is not a really good idea.

tohu wrote:
To Shadwhawk: just one question before I reply to your post: Are you on crack when you wrote your post?. If not, then you must be very stupid or a person with very little knowledge. I just read the numbers (rating) on USA Today last week and Cartoon Network did not make the top 10 in cable and this is just last week the year is 2008, I repeat, 2008. You said where I live, it must be 2002, it's ironic that you use the rating of 2005, which is 3 years ago to prove that CN was #1, I'm going to be brutally honest here: who give a sheet about what show it's #1 in 2005, what matters most is who's #1 right now, in 2008 not 2005. When both, viewers and advertisers want to look at the numbers for their own reason, they look at the current numbers not the numbers from few years ago. In term of rating right now, the Cartoon Network got slaughter by both of its main competitors the Disney Channel and Nickolodeon, just like Fox News crushes two of it main rivals, CNN and MSNBC.

He said [as] is a success, and that doesn't mean "Is it successful now" but "Has it been successful over time". You don't look at the sold units of Warcraft 3 for May 2008 and say "Warcraft 3 is no success", so your argument is pretty much invalid.

Quote:
Now, let lighten up a bit and talk about buzz shall we?. If you visit this website, then surely must know about a little show call Neon Genesis Evangelion ( Eva) don't you?. As told by New Type USA be for the magazine's demise, when it air on America's airwave via the Cartoon Network, anime fans in the U.S felt as though they were hit by a tsunami, and after the last episode ended, viewers storm internet forums and others venues with an unprecedented opinions and discussions about the show. Simply put, the level of buzz created by the show at the time measure by animation show standard before and up to now is unequalled and without a doubt, not only Eva had people talk about it but it also had people's tongues waging about the Cartoon Network as well. No show bring attention and fame to the Cartoon Network as Eva did, and that a fact! and fame and noriety bring in more viewers, it help the network grap young audience that for sure. As you can see, in term of creating buzz all of the american shows you mention doens't hold a candle to anime since Eva to the present day,

I have no clue what you want to say with that, I'm sorry.

Quote:
and you say about the anime bubble has bursted, what bubble? and what burst? have you check the stastistics lately? the mayority of anime come from manga, and according to icv2.com, the general entertainment news source, manga dominates the top ten graphic novels list every month this year and if the "bubble" has "bursted" why is manga continues to reigns sumpreme heh?

First of all, you are setting manga equal with anime, which is just wrong. Stick to your point, it was about airing on TV, after all, and it's really hard to air manga on TV. Still, I believe Graphic Novels are a niche market even in the USA, so just compare the numbers of the newest Naruto, to the "Twilight" series.
While the newest Naruto, 29, I guess, is around 3000 in best-selling books on amazon, the newest book from the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn, is #5. But the first volume is even more interesting, since Naruto 1 is around 24000 while Twilight is #13.
As you can see, graphic novels are definitely a niche market and so saying it "reigns supreme" is simply a ridiciolous statement, even worse because he was saying the "anime bubble burst".

Quote:
and if the "bubble" has "bursted" why is the Sci-Fi channel and the Cartoon Network continue to air anime? not only that, Sci-fi take a bold step to air the much anticipated anime Guggen Laggan in July, and this anime just aired on Japan last year, so it's relatively new. Let's be fair to anime here, certain anime's rating is low is becauce some of them are not great, so few people watch them not because people are losing interest in anime. Combining the fact that manga continues to blossoms on the chart and american networks such as Cartoon Network and Sci-Fi continue to air anime and add on new show it's clear that people interest in anime and manga still remain high.

See the "Cartoon" in Cartoon Network? Is it really surprising they air Japanese "Cartoons"? Does it make anime successful if Family Guy's ratings crush the ratings of anime on [as], so I guess anime in general in the USA? The answer is no.
If anime was successful, there would be a lot more anime aired than the few such as currently. In the successful time of anime in Germany, for example, there were approximately 20-25 anime to be seen on TV. Currently, there are about 3. That is what it means "The anime bubble has burst" - it doesn't mean there's no anime at all, simply a lot less.

Quote:
You and few others seem to view anime and manga as a fad and thought it will dies yet the numbers suggest otherwise, you guys don't have concrete evidence to back it up beside your dumb opinion and loud mouth. Anime is a phenomenom not a fad. You can quote me on that. See yah sucker!

enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
tohu wrote:

I just read the numbers (rating) on USA Today last week and Cartoon Network did not make the top 10 in cable and this is just last week the year is 2008, I repeat, 2008.

Ratings have different relevance to different advertisers. Nick definitely crushes CN in overall ratings, but Adult Swim does very well with its target audiences, which is 18-34 adults and particularly 18-34 males (who have disposable income and thus prized targets of many advertisers).

tohu wrote:

Now, let lighten up a bit and talk about buzz shall we?. If you visit this website, then surely must know about a little show call Neon Genesis Evangelion ( Eva) don't you?. As told by New Type USA be for the magazine's demise, when it air on America's airwave via the Cartoon Network, anime fans in the U.S felt as though they were hit by a tsunami, and after the last episode ended, viewers storm internet forums and others venues with an unprecedented opinions and discussions about the show. Simply put, the level of buzz created by the show at the time measure by animation show standard before and up to now is unequalled and without a doubt, not only Eva had people talk about it but it also had people's tongues waging about the Cartoon Network as well. No show bring attention and fame to the Cartoon Network as Eva did, and that a fact!

Actually, no. Sadly mind you, I'm actually fond of NG Eva and still remember those days when it was still airing in Japan and generating not only ubiquitous but verbose discussions all over the Net. However, by the time Eva got on Adult Swim, it was already played out, partly by those same ubiquitous and verbose discussions years ago when most everyone got Eva out of their system already. Consequently, that weariness showed in the ratings. That's why it wasn't repeated much.

tohu wrote:

and fame and noriety bring in more viewers, it help the network grap young audience that for sure. As you can see, in term of creating buzz all of the american shows you mention doens't hold a candle to anime since Eva to the present day,

Actually, Adult Swim (AS) comedy shows regularly outperform AS anime by a margin. At its peak a few years ago, the highest AS anime usually do 400k-600k ratings, while the highest AS comedy about 600k-800k ratings. Nowadays, AS anime usually do 300k-400k while the highest AS comedy Family Guy reaches a million in 18-34 ratings.

Lately, all-anime night has had problems keeping up the ratings (albeit it's Saturday night - the lowest ratings night of the week), so CN often had to insert preceding AS comedy to prop up the ratings.

Comedy rules AS especially now. AS still keeps anime because it still plays a significant role, and it's tradition. Besides reviving the fortunes of Futurama and Family Guy, AS comedy lines regularly show up in other pop culture programmes like in ESPN and MTV.

(Anyways, there's at least one person here I'd rely more about CN matters who was/is a Toon Zone staffer and thus especially follow these things over the years and even privy to some confidential sources.)
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
First of all, you are setting manga equal with anime, which is just wrong. Stick to your point, it was about airing on TV, after all, and it's really hard to air manga on TV. Still, I believe Graphic Novels are a niche market even in the USA, so just compare the numbers of the newest Naruto, to the "Twilight" series.
While the newest Naruto, 29, I guess, is around 3000 in best-selling books on amazon, the newest book from the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn, is #5. But the first volume is even more interesting, since Naruto 1 is around 24000 while Twilight is #13.
As you can see, graphic novels are definitely a niche market and so saying it "reigns supreme" is simply a ridiciolous statement, even worse because he was saying the "anime bubble burst".

Naruto and Fruits Basket (and to the lesser extent, Bleach) usually hit up on the USA Today's 150 Top Bestsellers quite often and they're much more dependable than Amazon's Top Selling List because most people who buy manga usually buy from Borders or other big bookstore chain or something of the like than online. Fruits Baskets and Naruto had made it as far as within the top 20 once and manga usually outsells American graphic novels as well. While manga is still a niche, but it's a very booming one DESPITE the issue with Tokyopop (which I think it's over-saturation of titles finally caught up with them). Plus the fact that that Naruto, Furuba and Bleach hit the Top 150 multiple times despite long running series is astouding as well.

Remember, the US manga industry is in a lot healthier state than the US anime one, granted that the US manga industry had a small decrease of profits last time I heard.

However, it's sadly true that the new episode of an anime who put the best numbers that Saturday is half of what a 855028th rerun of Family Guy usually rakes in..

As my thoughts on PiQ, I pretty much saw it coming too because people hoped that despite the focus of interest in the magazine will more than anime/manga, it still be the focal point.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote
tohu wrote:
Now, let lighten up a bit and talk about buzz shall we?. If you visit this website, then surely must know about a little show call Neon Genesis Evangelion ( Eva) don't you?. As told by New Type USA be for the magazine's demise, when it air on America's airwave via the Cartoon Network, anime fans in the U.S felt as though they were hit by a tsunami, and after the last episode ended, viewers storm internet forums and others venues with an unprecedented opinions and discussions about the show. Simply put, the level of buzz created by the show at the time measure by animation show standard before and up to now is unequalled and without a doubt, not only Eva had people talk about it but it also had people's tongues waging about the Cartoon Network as well. No show bring attention and fame to the Cartoon Network as Eva did, and that a fact! and fame and noriety bring in more viewers, it help the network grap young audience that for sure. As you can see, in term of creating buzz all of the american shows you mention doens't hold a candle to anime since Eva to the present day, and you say about the anime bubble has bursted, what bubble? and what burst? have you check the stastistics lately? the mayority of anime come from manga, and according to icv2.com, the general entertainment news source, manga dominates the top ten graphic novels list every month this year and if the "bubble" has "bursted" why is manga continues to reigns sumpreme heh? and if the "bubble" has "bursted" why is the Sci-Fi channel and the Cartoon Network continue to air anime? not only that, Sci-fi take a bold step to air the much anticipated anime Guggen Laggan in July, and this anime just aired on Japan last year, so it's relatively new. Let's be fair to anime here, certain anime's rating is low is becauce some of them are not great, so few people watch them not because people are losing interest in anime. Combining the fact that manga continues to blossoms on the chart and american networks such as Cartoon Network and Sci-Fi continue to air anime and add on new show it's clear that people interest in anime and manga still remain high. You and few others seem to view anime and manga as a fad and thought it will dies yet the numbers suggest otherwise, you guys don't have concrete evidence to back it up beside your dumb opinion and loud mouth. Anime is a phenomenom not a fad. You can quote me on that. See yah sucker!

Wow, so many things wrong with that post.

-Eva was hardly CN's highest rated show. If we're talking shows that truly broke beyond the "anime fans" group and stretched to a wide audience, those would be: DBZ, Pokemon, and (to a lesser extent) Naruto and Yu-Gi-Oh. Eva may have set the anime forums ablaze, but that doesn't mean it was the most widely seen anime.

Greg Aryes basically said the same thing: the anime industry would LOVE to get another mega-hit like DBZ (that still sells toys and video games in stores everywhere), but it isn't happening anytime soon as far as they can tell.

-CN airs less anime than they used to. AS is really cutting back on anime, and even Toonami is showing stuff like Ben 10 and Samurai Jack. Okay, Sci-Fi's showing some stuff (not much though), but how long will it last? Anyome remember g4's Anime Unleashed? Yeah, you don't see that anymore. Oh, and there once was a company named Geneon......

-we're talking anime here. Manga is facing less trouble (for one thing, scanlations haven't become as popular as fansubs yet, thank god), so it's less of a concern for now
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:
Labbes wrote:

Naruto and Fruits Basket (and to the lesser extent, Bleach) usually hit up on the USA Today's 150 Top Bestsellers quite often and they're much more dependable than Amazon's Top Selling List because most people who buy manga usually buy from Borders or other big bookstore chain or something of the like than online. Fruits Baskets and Naruto had made it as far as within the top 20 once and manga usually outsells American graphic novels as well. While manga is still a niche, but it's a very booming one DESPITE the issue with Tokyopop (which I think it's over-saturation of titles finally caught up with them). Plus the fact that that Naruto, Furuba and Bleach hit the Top 150 multiple times despite long running series is astouding as well.

Remember, the US manga industry is in a lot healthier state than the US anime one, granted that the US manga industry had a small decrease of profits last time I heard.

However, it's sadly true that the new episode of an anime who put the best numbers that Saturday is half of what a 855028th rerun of Family Guy usually rakes in..

As my thoughts on PiQ, I pretty much saw it coming too because people hoped that despite the focus of interest in the magazine will more than anime/manga, it still be the focal point.

Ok, you got me there, my argumentation was really bad, since I got distracted from my point. The thing is, you can't compare anime to manga simply because "a lot of anime is made out of manga" and you can't compare novels to graphic novels sales-wise either. I should have stated that more cleary, sorry.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
Keep in mind: Adult Swim is considered a separate network for the purpose of ratings. So how Cartoon Network is performing compared to other networks is completely irrelevant as far as Adult Swim is concerned.

------RM
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
tohu wrote:
To tempest: what make you say Adult Swim is a success?

Looking at a station or network's ratings, without properly understanding those ratings, isn't necessarily the best way to tell whether it's a success. Cartoon Network is a specialty / niche network, so expecting it to be in the top ten is pretty silly.

This isn't wikipedia, we don't expect citations for every single statement in the world, particularly if said comment is only tangentially related to the topic, or if said statement is already a well known fact. This discussion is about Newtype USA, not CN/AS, so I'm not going to offer citations for information that the majority of our readers already know.

But for your benefit, quotes from [as] staff regarding why they carry a lot less anime than they used to, as well as [as] ratings have been frequently covered on this forum, the Toonzone forums, and [as]'s own forums as well as in ANN and Toonzone's news. So feel free to look it up.

-t

[edit: <Sigh> I had to ban Tohu. I told him to be polite, and his response was even ruder]

Last edited by Tempest on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1