• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Return of "Old School" animation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 8:59 am Reply with quote
After watching Toonami's new "He-Man" and finding that next week Transformers well be on next week, GI Joe weekdays at midnight, as well as the remake of Speed Racer coming to Nick, I'm starting to have flashbacks of my youth of setting in front of the TV watching all these animation as a kid. I have to hand it to the these networks for bring in the older generation of animation lovers back to enjoy these older animation series that have a fresh coat of paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:32 am Reply with quote
It does bring a sense of nostalgia, doesn't it? But let us hope it doesn't get out of hand or next thing we know somebody is going to start thinking about how great the Go-Bots were.

(I hope I didn't offend any Go-Bots fans out there..........................are there any Go-Bots fans out there?)
Ramen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of classic animation, anyone remember Jason and the Wheeled Warriors or MASK? I have a very vague recollection of these show, but I remember liking them at the time. I also recall a show about this guy that turns into a car when splashed with water...er, something like that. Hmm, kinda like Ranma, eh? Ok, enough reminiscing....

Craeyst Raygal wrote:

are there any Go-Bots fans out there?

hehe, gobots. I almost forgot about them.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:

Speaking of classic animation, anyone remember Jason and the Wheeled Warriors or MASK? I have a very vague recollection of these show, but I remember liking them at the time. I also recall a show about this guy that turns into a car when splashed with water...er, something like that. Hmm, kinda like Ranma, eh? Ok, enough reminiscing....

Aaaah, MASK.. quality stuff, that show was...

Anyone remember these series?
StarCom: The U.S. Space Force

This series was about some alien force attacking earth with advanced technology... I never saw it, but the toys were cool because the people had magnets in their boots, so you could walk them up metal surfaces and such. for the playsets, the guns would slowly unfold and pop out if you pressed the button.

Phantom 2040

what little i remember of this seems to remind me of a slightly-more-educational version of batman beyond.. but it's been so long, i only vaguely recall it, although I remember liking it a lot.

Conan the Adventurer

er, i think that's it's name... I can't find much info about it, although I've got an episode or two taped.

the story went something like this: conan's family gets turned to stone by some sorcerer and conan goes to turn them back into real people. insert phoenix, sword-swinging, martial arts, and a plot that grew each episode.

Hey, look, a website about it! http://come.to/ConanTheAdventurer
:D 65 episodes... not too bad, for an american cartoon.

Pole Position

was this anime? or not? All I know is that it was airing shortly before I started kindergarten, so that would've placed it around 1985-1987 or so.

The Racoons

aired on the Disney Channel, and might still air on some canadian channels.. it's another long-running series, about a pink aardvark (Cyrill Sneer) and his plans to cut down Evergreen Forest to make money, but thanks to a bunch of racoons, they'd foil his plans each time. Interestingly, the writer/creator for the series also wrote all the music, some of it being quite catchy..

Mysterious Cities of Gold

Aired around the same time as Grimms Fairy Tales, David the Gnome, Spartikus: Sun Benearth the Sea, and a bunch of other classic Nickelodeon shows...

But MCoG was one of the most memoriable series I had as a kid, and was saddened when it went off the air.

And while I'm thinking about it, someone should bring back:
Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, and My Little Pony amongst other girls animation.... There's *never* enough girls animation being produced in America. Even Totally Spies (which is popular with girls) still isn't _really_ girl-centric animation.

Ramen wrote:

hehe, gobots. I almost forgot about them.

I wish I had.

Although Rocklords were cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Damnit, I missed He-man yesterday.

So what's the verdict on the new remake? Good? Bad? Evil?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HothJedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I missed it, but its on again tonight at 7pm, and tomorrow morning at 10am. I heard it was pretty good.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm about the watch the He-Man thing now. It's on in about 10 minutes. Though...it makes me seriously miss She-Ra Crying or Very sad

I remember Go-Bots...I liked them better than the Transformers. And I remember Pole Position, though I remember it being quite bad. I remember Jason and the Wheeled Warriors being crap too Wink (I wasn't much for car shows, can ya tell?) And I remember The Raccoons....they kinda reminded me of the Shirt Tales in a way.

My faves were The Get Along Gang, Rainbow Brite, Jem & the Holograms, The Snorks, The Wuzzles, Popples, My Little Pony...OK, shoot me, I'm a girl...I like girl-shows Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it, but mostly for the nostalgia. It makes me want to break out my He-Man glasses. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lucca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

Oh lord, they made me watch that in french >.< I will not discuss "they".... 8O It would be nice to see it in English....

And Speed Racer is coming back? YAY! ^.^ I've always wanted to see that. (obviously new to anime)....He-Man I haven't watched yet because it sounds like a very He-Man type show...Maybe I'll catch it later...

BTW- I completely agree with the fact we need more girl anime...so much mecha....;p Yuck.

This is my first post! Whee! (obvious n00b....I am ph33r3d :p)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aya Reiko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Lucca wrote:

Cookie wrote:

Oh lord, they made me watch that in french >.< I will not discuss "they".... Shocked It would be nice to see it in English....

Well it was a French show. Check the production credits, it's made by DiC France.

It's one of many old shows (along with Rose of Versailles) I'd love to see on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ender Wiggin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Conan the Adventurer

er, i think that's it's name... I can't find much info about it, although I've got an episode or two taped.

the story went something like this: conan's family gets turned to stone by some sorcerer and conan goes to turn them back into real people. insert phoenix, sword-swinging, martial arts, and a plot that grew each episode.

Hey, look, a website about it! http://come.to/ConanTheAdventurer
Very Happy 65 episodes... not too bad, for an american cartoon.

[/quote]

I saw them all. The evil guy was Set, and it grew to include an African, a few dudes, one that flew, and a chick.

I saw the final episode way back. Used to watch the conan cartoon EVERY day.

By the Sign of Jebal-sag..! THIS takes me back!
arllyra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Lucca wrote:

Oh lord, they made me watch that in french >.< I will not discuss "they".... 8O It would be nice to see it in English....
This is my first post! Whee! (obvious n00b....I am ph33r3d :p)
[/quote]

Oh, hey, that one's next up on my anime nights w/my other anime geek friends. If we ever find time to do it again. Right now we're on the 2nd disc of the 2nd box set of Fushigi Yuugi. I'll be surprised if they can remember what's going on.
I missed MCoG the 1st time it was out. My parents were under this delusion that watching cartoons makes you hyper. Wouldn't that just be too handy?

But getting back on topic.... I miss She-Ra too. Tho Care Bears and My Little Pony both fall into that category of things I loved as a kid and wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole now. I still think I'd like She-Ra now. Especially if they remade it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:54 am Reply with quote
arllyra wrote:

But getting back on topic.... I miss She-Ra too. Tho Care Bears and My Little Pony both fall into that category of things I loved as a kid and wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole now. I still think I'd like She-Ra now. Especially if they remade it.

Being the tom girl that I was, I always liked He-Man more than She-ra, mainly because I thought the fights were cooler, and She=ra was a wimp. But wow, I remember making my dad buy me all the He-Man books and everything (luckily, he liked the show too, so he always obliged). I still have the hard-cover storybooks downstairs of both He-Man and She-Ra! I even remember being excited to watch the live action He-Man, though I remember being disappointed by it.
Kaine23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:02 am Reply with quote
I loved the He-Man remake- I also liked how they remade the classic characters..and Orko still rocks.

I used to watch Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Conon and all those. Anyone remember Exo-Squad?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Phoenix
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:12 am Reply with quote
i used to watch the Mysterious Cities of Gold when I was little to practice my French; I really loved that series. I think it's been run in Quebec a total of 3 times so far, including 4 years ago, and each time I've tried to watch it, and I have yet to see the ending. Does anyone know if this series is available on DVD or VHS?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2