• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Miyazaki's Newest Is Not For Everyone to Relax & Watch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Sure is a lot of jaded people in this thread. Miyazaki can be a bit of a crank, but it's hardly a reason to start expecting some kind of overly judgemental tract of a film. Excuse a guy for liking the environment clean and protected.

Maybe instead of wanting to "relax" all the time, we should think a little bit more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
This is where someone is supposed to say "Caine-Paul 2012111!", and Hayao Miyazaki is supposed to come on here and start criticizing people for having bad ideas.

But I will simply say that you have made a good statement penguintruth, and we should wait to find out what is in store for us.

The reason why people don't like Miyazaki is because he tells it like it is. If you like lolicon, or consumerism in general you will disagree with him. If you oppose those things you will have a lot more agreement.
Gon*Gon wrote:
Also, people overestimate the difficulties of raising crops. Laughing
True, but I have heard it might be easier than becoming a University Professor, my other fantasy occupation.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Completely off topic but:
Penguin_Factory wrote:

TopGunman wrote:
Will Ghibli ever create something badass like Ghost in the Shell and Akira?

Why would you want them to? Nothing in the history of any of the main creative staff three indicates they'd be good at that. You might as well ask if Disney is ever going to start making gangster movies.

Well, not a movie per se... but these toys, apparently, came out only a few years ago. Embarassed

On topic: I'm quite curious to see what Miyazaki has cooking for Summer 2013. Maybe it's a historical film, like Grave of the Fireflies, or a slice of life, like Only Yesterday. Both are by Isao Takahata but I wonder if this what he meant by "not for everyone to relax & watch".
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It would not surprise me.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
This sounds good, I may check it out if it's another work like Princess Mononoke. I prefer the less family friendly stuff the most.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Look, it's fine to go in a more serious direction with your work, no one's saying otherwise. But the cranky old man is likely to come up with something that little more than a rant an author tract and not something I'm going to want to watch so much as slap him for making it.

He hates America. Whoop-de-friggin-do. Get in line. But don't expect me to shell out my money to see your piece of crap film saying it!

And for the record I hate romantic comedies.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Suddenly, everyone in this thread is aware that Hayao Miyazaki is actually just a regular person who likes to make movies and has opinions like everyone else.

As always, I'm looking forward to his next film. He has a pretty versatile imagination, so I'm interested to see what he comes up with if this does turn out to be some sort of biographical work (perhaps it's a fictionalized autobiography of the main character, like a retrospective narrative?). I agree with some others in this thread that a more intense, adult-oriented (I'm hoping this is what was meant) Ghibli film is long overdue.

My only reservation (and I'm prepared to have hypothetical stones lobbed at me for saying it) is that it would preferably be nothing like Grave of the Fireflies. I only mention it because it's arguably Ghibli's most substantially "mature" film. I realize that was written/directed by Takahata and not Miyazaki, but it's thus far the only Studio Ghibli work I've seen that bored me to the point of disinterest and which didn't move me emotionally, whatsoever.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Look, it's fine to go in a more serious direction with your work, no one's saying otherwise. But the cranky old man is likely to come up with something that little more than a rant an author tract and not something I'm going to want to watch so much as slap him for making it.

He hates America. Whoop-de-friggin-do. Get in line. But don't expect me to shell out my money to see your piece of crap film saying it!

I want to stress at this point that nobody has any idea what this movie is actually about.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
What if he makes a movie about how much he hates romantic comedies? Would you watch that? Laughing
As Zac pointed out, we have no evidence that is not what he is making.

I think he could have phrased his little thing about not coming to our country a bit better. But I think he has better opinions and principles than many other directors and producers out there.

Even Makoto Shinkai was willing to do the opening credits to a lolicon game. You would never catch Hayao Miyazaki doing that.
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
As Miyazaki once said,

Quote:
“Perhaps because of the way our brains are structured, Japanese people like to recognize and perceive things in outline form—as lines… This is clearly apparent to me when I compare the different tastes of Japanese and American animators.”

This is one of the reasons why people think he is "gaijin-phobic." Though this term is not really correct for him, it is that he believes in Nihonjinron (Theories/discussions about the Japanese).

You should read some of the parts to Nihonjinron. Some of it is interesting.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I think there needs to be some balance here. While Miyazaki did make anti-American comments before, it was in 2003; two years after the invasion of Afghanistan, and the year of the War In Iraq. So, the whole world pretty much shared Miyazaki's sentiment. He's been very critical of capitalism--like most liberals--but hasn't been known to make lots of anti-American statements. While I don't share much of his political ideology, I'm wholeheartedly in unison(if not much more radical) with his environmental views. All in all, the man's a pacifist, who may be a bit xenophobic.

Now, as for the topic, I think a serious, thought-provoking, and powerful film, especially by Ghibli, is what is needed as a raft for humanity, drowning in a violent sea of fan service-filled "moe" garbage. Like penguintruth said, people need to think more; mainly about what's going on around them, outside of their safe comfort zones, and how they'll sustain the existence they take for granted.

I anxiously await this one. And I hope it's as controversial as ever, or as heart-achingly realistic as Grave of the Fireflies.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote
It's obvious we have some closet-Bush supporters in this thread that are still living in 2003. If you think criticizing the Iraq invasion in 2003 equates to "hating America," you probably also think the Colbert Report is real and still order "freedom fries" as opposed to french fries.

Suggestion, maybe get over it and join us in 2011? I'm sure that "Grrrr, I'm mad Ghibli is more popular than my animus!!" equates into it somewhere as well.
shafiq95

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:17 am Reply with quote
damn im really looking forward to this movie....i hope he finish it and while at that i hope he mades it available all over the world since only "certain" people will not be able to relax while watching this....which goes to show the majority will be giving a round of applause after the movie
shafiq95

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote
i like how most guys here quickly points out that its going to be about USA ...its just goes to show that you know how well that country is fudge up(even the haters)
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
We are no more fudged up than anyone else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6