• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gegege no Kitarō's Mizuki to Start Tōno Monogatari

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I've heard of Tōno Monogatari, thought it sounded interesting, but never found an English translation. This will probably sell well in Japan, but never be imported to the US.
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
I've heard of Tōno Monogatari, thought it sounded interesting, but never found an English translation.

As you may know, the Japan Foundation published an English edition of Tōno Monogatari in the 1970s.
It seems that Rowman & Littlefield will republish the English edition of Tōno Monogatari.
I read works by Yanagita in Japanese scholarly editions, though.

http://www.rowmanlittlefield.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739127675
http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Tono-Kunio-Yanagita/dp/0739127675/

Yanagita Kunio wrote:
思ふに此類の書物は少なくも現代の流行に非ず。如何に印刷が容易なればとてこんな本を出版し自己の狹隘なる趣味を以て他人に强ひんとするは不作法の仕業なりと云ふ人あらん。されど敢て答ふ。斯る話を聞き斯る處を見て來て後之を人に語りたがらざる者果してありや。其樣な沈默にして且つ愼み深き人は少なくも自分の友人の中にはある事なし。況や我九百年前の先輩今昔物語の如きは其當時に在りて旣に今は昔の話なりしに反し此は是目前の出來事なり。假令敬虔の意と誠實の態度とに於ては敢て彼を凌ぐことを得と言ふ能はざらんも人の耳を經ること多からず人の口と筆とを倩ひたること甚だ僅なりし點に於ては彼の淡泊無邪氣なる大納言殿却つて來り聽くに値せり。近代の御伽百物語の徒に至りては其志や旣に陋且つ決して其談の妄誕に非ざることを誓ひ得ず。竊に以て之と隣を比するを恥とせり。要するに此書は現在の事實なり。單に此のみを以てするも立派なる存在理由ありと信ず。

Mishima Yukio thought that Tōno Monogatari was interesting also from a novelist's viewpoint.

Mishima Yukio wrote:
この中で私が、「あ、ここに小說があつた」と三嘆これ久しうしたのは、「裾にて炭取にさはりしに、丸き炭取なればくる〱とまはりたり」といふ件りである。
ここがこの短かい怪異譚の焦點であり、日常性と怪異との疑ひやうのない接點である。この一行のおかげで、わづか一頁の物語が、百枚二百枚の似非小說よりも、はるかにみごとな小説になつてをり、人の心に永久に忘れがたい印象を殘すのである。

saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Mizuki is definitely still full of spirit. This summer Kintetsu Travel Agency is offering tours for English speakers of the Yokaido Road locations as well as a meeting with Mizuki himself, which for 86 is pretty good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1