• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toaru Majutsu no Index Producer: 26-Episode Anime Costs 300 Million Yen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The amount of math errors with simple addition/multiplication/division in this thread is really astounding.

I said an guess based on the info provided, I am not sure of the exact amount however Index well made over it's cost fee on blu ray sales with single disc volumes selling at 70-120 dollars us each "not including tax etc" It's a rough guess but my total was around 21mil us which could be off however there is no way it made less 10mil us or they wouldn't eve talk about a 3rd season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
$70 per volume is about right for those who ordered on Amazon/online. A bit on the low side for an average value though, as I'm sure that the brick and mortar stores don't discount 20-30% like Amazon does. So I'll use the estimate $80 per volume to account for the sales of those stores.

$80 * 17,000 copies sold per volume (rounded from this chart) * 8 volumes yields an estimate 10.88 million USD. This number is inflated quite a bit right now considering how weak the dollar is though. If the USD/Yen exchange rate was the same now as it was 4 years ago, it would have only made an estimated 6.8 million USD.
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
...3 mil to make a 3rd season seems reasonable enough and I highly doubt It will flounder being one of the best sellers in japan but who knows...

I hope you're right. Because I'm already obsessed with it, and want to buy it RIGHT NOW. Season one was very cool, but season 2 is absolutely Blowing. Me. Away.

I'm amazed at how much it costs, and also that while the success is viewed as a team effort, a monetary failure is placed solely on the director's shoulders. Fascinating, though also depressing. I'd say Mr. Nakayama has done a phenomenal job thus far, and I'll be eagerly looking into his other projects.

REALLY?

I'm not surprised at all.
This is like the inverse of how the school is.

If the class does well, the teacher must be fantastic (even if it's just because the students are smart or hard workers) - but if the class does badly, it's the students' fault for not working hard enough, or being delinquents, or just plain being stupid!

It seems pretty standard in "how the world works" to me, but I've had some very negative experiences in my life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3