• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Windaria

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
No kidding. Actually I don't like Izu at all, terrible person IMO. spoiler[I didn't feel any pity when he was crying under the tree at the end. He was asking for it.]

In all due honesty I didn't like him either. spoiler[His immaturity cost a nation its freedom and the lives of its citizens, just so he could have the thrill of adventure. On top of that, he lost his love as well. He didn't think about what the consequences of his actions would be until he saw what had happened, and by then it was obviously too late.]
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I had watched the dub/edited version of this show awhile ago and thought it complete dreck. I am interested in seeing the show un-edited and perhaps being able to enjoy it. Thanks for piquing my interest in this though, as I could never understand all the praise I had heard for this title once I saw it. I look forward to giving this another chance.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Being as ADV is planning to re-release Battle Angel, maybe they will make a play to get the original version of Windaria.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
In terms of depression, is Mononoke or Windaria worse?

Are you kidding? Mononoke ends on an up note, with the possibility of understanding and peace. This one's all about destruction and regret.

fighterholic wrote:

In all due honesty I didn't like him either. spoiler[His immaturity cost a nation its freedom and the lives of its citizens, just so he could have the thrill of adventure. On top of that, he lost his love as well. He didn't think about what the consequences of his actions would be until he saw what had happened, and by then it was obviously too late.]

Well, yeah, that’s surely the point of his narrative. A different take on “adventure”, and a hero who eagerly succumbs to temptation.

Daimao Raki wrote:
ADV is planning to re-release Battle Angel

Whatever for? It's a real stinker.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I may end up getting shot for saying this, but I think Windaria is actually on par with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. It's not as visually stunning (animation wise) as Nasuicaa, but very on par with the storyline and writing of it. Windaria has been a favorite film of mine since I first saw the original Streamline Pictures dub. I have a Settei magazine for Windaria that has all sorts of designs for the film, and I definitely agree that the artwork is really beautiful. Mutsumi Inomata is a fabulous artist and deserves all the praise she can get. I only hope that sometime soon ADV will get ahold of the real version and dump the terribly edited version they've been saddled with. My only question with that is...why were they able to get ahold of the Japanese versions for Crying Freeman, Doomed Megalopolis, Mega-Tokyo and Casshan: Robot Hunter (all originally released by Streamline Pictures) but not Windaria?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

'Inomata-san' did the girls from 'Brain Powered? I'm surprised that I never picked up on that sooner. But she's most notable for the 'Tales of' series after 'Fujishima'. She has a really nice style. Also, let's not forget 'LEDA - The Adventures of Yoko' as well. That's another oldie. You'll have to cover that one next time.

I've only seen the Hong Kong(?) English dub of LEDA. Should get the OOP subtitled VHS that Right Stuf released a while back.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Now that the dub/sub war has taken a backseat to the "fansubbing vs the US anime industry" war, perhaps now some people will make the effort to actually watch Windaria.
Ah, but "sub vs. dub" has been seamlessly integrated and absorbed into the fansubs vs. R1 industry war. It's as if someone thought, "The transition from VHS to DVD has erased the practical differences in getting subs or dubs, and my role in this is over. But if the sub vs. dub debate could be resurrected, then the battle will last for eternity!" As for how the two have been integrated...well, no need to drag things off-topic.

Anyway, I rented the edited version from Blockbuster about 3-4 years ago, and I was impressed by it. Maybe I didn't know it was edited at the time, but the story and its major elements were still present in some form. I picked up the fansub awhile later, but as with Justin's experience, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it again. The edited version was enough of a downer, so I'm sure the original will hit even harder.
centzontotochtin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
Can I just say 'thank you' for reviewing this, it sounded interesting so I downloaded it (A lot of other people seem to have had the same idea, I've never seen so many seeds on a torrent for an obscure 80s film), and it's one of the best anime films I've seen. I'd never have seen it otherwise, as all the other mentions I'd seen online seem to be based on the hacked-up version, and said it was rubbish.

The animation was distractingly bad every time there was a close-up of someone running, but pretty good otherwise, I loved the art, and it managed to be anti-war without moralising, just by showing you what happens. It reminded me of Nausicaa or Mononoke but without the Disney endings, and with the same ideas about human nature found in things like Berserk, therefore better..

It was quite different to see a war in the usually predictable fantasy genre play out like a real war; the idealistic spoilt lovers and the well-meaning-&-strong-but-incredibly-stupid-blonde hero and the annoyingly-sweet-religious-no-sense-of-self-preservation girl were typical characters from so many stories, (it even had unicorns and small cute squirrel/otaks!) but here the consequences of their actions were shockingly realistic.

Plus, the whole idea of the ghost ship was quite visually inspired, whoever thought of that one I want to see more of their stuff..

spoiler[And Im a sucker for drowned cities..]

I put it up with Grave of the Fireflies, Gundam War in the Pocket, The Cockpit and Now and then, here and there.. in my favourite beautifully depressing anime Smile
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
The premise of this story remind me of the classic Japanese film Ugetsu Monogatari. The main character in that film was also chasing after his dream while his wife waited for him.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
centzontotochtin wrote:
Can I just say 'thank you' for reviewing this, it sounded interesting so I downloaded it (A lot of other people seem to have had the same idea, I've never seen so many seeds on a torrent for an obscure 80s film), and it's one of the best anime films I've seen. I'd never have seen it otherwise

Posts like this are THE reason I write this column.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I was curious about this anime, but it sucks to see it's hard to obtain now. I heard the story was good and the character designs are by my favorite Tales girl (sorry Fujishima-sama) so I would definitely want to watch it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I actually have the ADV Films release of this but have never even watched it. My options were few when I ordered it, and I needed a few titles to complete my 10 DVD order for the 10 for 50 sale they did earlier this year. So, I ended up with this and Ellcia and Legend of Crystania to fill the last 3 slots. I was aware of the edits when I got it, which is the main reason I've never put it in my DVD player. It's a shame it was butchered the way it was, but at least US companies aren't quite as willing to make cuts and edits to anime as they were during the era of this release.

Still, it's not really fair to pair dubs with edits, often times they are still separate. Escaflowne got a horribly sliced up broadcast for a time, yet the DVD release is untouched. The DVD release does have the same dub as the broadcast, it's just the unedited version. The series dub has nothing to do with the chop job that was done to it for broadcast. Now in this case, yes, the two are pretty much intertwined, however the pairing overall is a tad unfair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Just an update. I finished watching it. It really made me want to cry.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
On the subject of things that actually matter: Windaria is one of those titles that people in America watched decades ago that really helped illustrate in their minds that anime was something different than what they were used to. Sure, there was violence and nudity, but the reason everyone remembers Windaria is precisely because of what Justin said: it's such a downer! It's worth reiterating that even though this officially came out in America in the early 90s, many fans discovered this in the late 1980s. As tangentially illustrated by this old fanzine article from 1987 that Dave Merrill managed to preserve, animation of this sort was a far cry from the Smurfs.

The very reason why anyone got into anime fandom in the first place, we didn't see anything quite like that ever being done before.

Quote:
Which is why the hatchet job committed upon Windaria is legendary. People would often invoke its example back in the days when "dubs vs subs" was the number one argument in the fandom, even if they'd never even seen the thing. All anyone needed to know about Windaria was that Carl Macek and Streamline Pictures cut it to ribbons for the sake of making a buck. While true, its status among anime fans has for many years been that of an argumentative tool for making a point. Now that the dub/sub war has taken a backseat to the "fansubbing vs the US anime industry" war, perhaps now some people will make the effort to actually watch Windaria. That is, if they're so inclined to watch cartoons from over twenty years ago.

We can only hope.

Vicserr wrote:
I remember watching Once Upon a time in Spanish (Included in the ADV dvd) when Telemundo (The Original Station in PR) used to have animated movies during the weekends during the Christmas Season (with both Lensman movies and some magical girl movies among others) and I did feel that it was too dark and violent even with the edits... spoiler[The lovers' deaths on the bridge was brutal], even without any overt images...I wonder how that scene played out in the original japanese version.

Kinda wondered if the copies Telemundo had were derived from what came out of Harmony Gold's acquisitions in the 80's. Films such as Windaria and Lensman were given edited dub treatments that often got picked up and re-dubbed into other languages elsewhere on the planet (Lensman on the other hand was given a different English dub c/o Streamline Pictures). Like so many, we kinda wonder why Streamline would use HG's "Once Upon A Time" when that got released in the early 90's over the original Windaria? Was it a legal issue or one of not caring to do so? I think another HG dub done around the same time as Once Upon A Time that also got a Streamline release in a similar fashion was "Birth", which got renamed The World of the Talisman by HG and Planet Busters by Streamline.

Reading someone mentioning Ringing Bell, you wonder why didn't the English dub just kept it as it was and not try to sugar-coat it's value the way it was. I consider it a very fine piece of tragedy unfolding as you view the film. Anyone who might be interested in at least viewing it without trying to download the fansub do have YouTube as an alternative, where the film has been on display for the past couple years now (if not formatted appropriately due to YouTube's standards). Worth a good moment of your time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3